Author Topic: Weathering the Storm [Open]  (Read 5190 times)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Weathering the Storm [Open]
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
In the hot mid-afternoon sun, Smokey had been laboring for the past thirty minutes on the outdoor practice range.  The coat he normally wears had been left draped on a nearby wall, along with his shirt.  Maybe it was because he had just gotten back from Atlas, but if felt especially hot today for whatever reason.  So, since Smokey was currently alone, he figured no one would care or even mind if he went shirtless for a bit.

Anyways, as much as Smokey would like to admire the way his muscles glisten in the sunlight, that’s not the reason he’s out here.  For the past thirty minutes, he’d been setting up custom target dummies.  At least, they look like target dummies.  Although, oddly-proportioned scarecrows might also be accurate.  Somehow, Smokey had managed to acquire seven bales of hay, which he has used as the bodies, and stuck a smaller foam target on top of it.  He had stuck sticks into the sides of the hay bale to make arms and legs in an attempt to make them appear humanoid, but they look like caricatures at best.

The strangest thing, though, were the additional pieces that set each “target” apart.  Each of the scarecrows save for one had been equipped (read “duct taped”) with, well, trash.  Anything from a round piece of wood, to a trash can lid, to a giant piece of cardboard that covered and extended beyond the height of the original scarecrow.

It also seemed this last target was giving Smokey a bit of grief, as the cardboard wall keeps shifting around as Smokey tries to set it in place.  After a few minutes of wrestling with it and applying copious amounts of duct tape, though, it was finally properly set.  Taking a quick breather, Smokey stepped back and examined his army of junk.  What could he possibly be doing?
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Weathering the Storm [Open]
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
Maybe it was something in her faunus heritage, with orchid mantis that lived deep in tropical jungles. Or maybe it was just from all those days spent in the sun during humid Mistralian summers working on her car, before finishing off the day with a cold beer. But after all those weeks in frigid Atlas for the Vytal Tournament, Chantou was pretty happy to return Vale discover a heatwave

The perfect sunny day was more than enough to motivate the usually-lax Chantou to do something, so the woman had grabbed her pistols - sans-sword - and wandered down towards the outside training range, planning on honing her skills while enjoying the weather. That was her plan, at least until she came across the ridiculous sight of some shirtless dude affixing a piece of cardboard to a straw dummy. In one of the world’s top combat schools, full of teacher available for private sparring lessons, high-tech training ranges, and with nearly every student’s weapon available for a fight at a moment’s notice, this dude had chosen to create handmade dummies - so what the hell could he be up to?

With the cocked eyebrow hidden behind her mirrored sunglasses, Chantou announces her presences with the universal signal of confusion: ”Uh, dude?”
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 12:03:13 AM »
Satisfied with his “creations,” Smokey was about to move to the next phase of endeavor when someone had very casually announced their presence.  Turning to look at the culprit, he saw the woman was staring right at him, and though she was wearing mirrored sunglasses, the rest of her expression said it all.

”What?  It’s hot out, whaddya want me to do, melt?  If you don’t like it, then buzz off,” he says as he moves to collect a tape measure and a marker.  He then goes to each piece of trash on the scarecrows and takes measurements, generally the radius for the more circular shaped objects, other measurements for the more elliptical or square shields.

And looking more closely, that seems to be what they were.  Well, rather, what they’re intended to mimic.  Each piece of trash that adorned the “targets” was specifically placed at the bales’ respective center of mass.  Whatever Smokey’s doing, he’s clearly taking it somewhat seriously.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »
It was once again one of those days where Dawn decided to put away her scroll and do something practical again.
There were countless places where she could do this, but none of them seemed appealing at that moment. The only place that did, was the practice range just outside Beacon.
The heat shift from Atlas to Vale borthered the cold-resistant Jaguar Faunus relatively little, on the contrary, it was just too enjoyable to be wasted inside. Dawn pretty much had her complete equipmrnt with her. Dragons breath and Phonix Flame were both in their rightful place in their standby mode. That means on her belt and around her wrists.
Flying Leopard was there as well, even if she carried it attached to her belt instead of riding on it as was usual for a skateboard.

Arrived at her destination she saw that she wasn't the only one with this idea.
Two people, one of them shirtless, were already in the practice range, with the shirtless person probably trying to make the ugliest scarecrow in history. They were in Beacon, it would be inconceivable if they hadn't any dummies to spare.
Not bevelled, Dawn decided to walk up to the two first years. She stopped just in front of them, but didn't say anything, giving only a greeting gesture and continued to examine the dummies, ignoring the muscular body of the one who builds them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:30:12 AM by DEXES »
Hyperactive weirdo Kisha Miles  - Beacon First Year - Team INKK/Ink
Dragon tamer Mikado Drak - Beacon First Year - Team DASE/Days
Compulsive gamer Dawn Mae - Beacon Second Year - Team ----
Scaredy cat peacock Arcano Blar Baldwin - Beacon First Year - Team ----

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:11:42 AM »
“Wait, ya’ seriously think that’s what’s botherin’ me?” Chantou says, a hint of amusement in her voice as she watches him laboriously draw especially-measured targets onto all of the straw dummies. It’s true - it’s not like Chantou’s dressed in much either, having stripped down to a crop top and a pair of short-shorts to deal with the weather. ”Dude, this is Beacon. There are waaay better ways to accomplish what you’re doing.”

Instead of remaining standing, Chantou takes the opportunity to wander over to the half wall that marked the edges of the outdoor range, plopping down on top. No point in staying standing for this conversation.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
Smokey doesn't take long with the measurements, mostly just writing a number or two and moving on.  He doesn't even notice Dawn's arrival until he finishes, when he turns around to respond to Chantou.

"Look, here--uh," Smokey pauses as he finally registers Dawn's presence.  What is this, some sort of sideshow?  "Umm, hi?  Can I help--you know what, doesn't matter.  Look, do you even know what I'm doing?  Or, better yet, why I'm doing it?  Believe me, if there was a better way of doing this, I'd be doing it," he says as he makes his way over to his coat.  Picking it up and moving it aside, Smokey reveals the massive revolver that he normally carries in a holster around his waist along with several oddly-colored shells.  He takes Matchstick and begins to load the shells into the gun

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
After Dawn gave the home-made dummies the last look, she finally turned to Smokey. "Interesting weapon you got there, even if revolvers aren't even that rare. The size, however, is very impressive." she said as she took a step toward the boy and his gun "Oh? Those aren't the right shells for a revolver. Shotgun maybe? Hm, nice mix. Since you're about to try out your baby anyway- " She points to the dummies " You probably wouldn't mind me watching, now do you?"

She didn't really wait for an answer and went to the wall where another person, or rather Faunus, was already sitting. "Well?" She asked as she sat down beside the Faunus, holding out her arm for a handshake. "The name's Dawn Mea"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 12:58:59 AM »
Chantou glances towards Dawn, giving her a nod of acknowledgement instead of reaching for her outstretched hand. “Chantou.” She answers, before turning her attention back to Smokey. “It might help if you explained like, what you’re doin’ here dude. Instead leavin’ us wonderin’ ‘bout a fuckton of strawmen.” She answers, the amusement still prevalent in her voice. She’s not going to voice it at least, but well - what he’s doing is frankly kinda ridiculous, and subsequently very amusing.

This was better than anything she thought she’d find in the training range.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 02:49:33 AM »
”Look, if  you must know, I’m doing independent research,” Smokey stated flatly as he locked the cylinder back in place.  As he does, a dark-gray aura surrounds him and solidifies, indicating that he has activated his semblance.

”I’m testing these here prototypes to see how much cover they offer from spread weapons.  The objective is to block the entire spread with the least amount of material,” he continues as the barrel of the revolver levels at the first dummy.

*Ka-Koom!*

The gun fires, and in the next instant, the target with no “shield” was blasted back and knocked over a good distance away.  Strangely, though, it was still intact, despite taking a direct hit from one of the hardest hitting weapons in Beacon.  It didn’t seem to bother Smokey, though, as six more shots ring out in succession, producing similar results.

From a distance, it’s hard to tell why the targets didn’t get blasted into smithereens as soon as Matchstick went off, but if anyone studied the contents of the peculiar ammunition Smokey loaded, they’d find that the shell contained paint, rather than shot.  The only reason the targets were blasted back in the first place is simply because the gun just carries that much energy.

After emptying the cylinder, Smokey made his way over to the targets and studied them for a bit before taking out his scroll and taking pictures of the results.   

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 03:30:32 AM »
Dawn supported her head with her hand as she watched Smokeys experiment. Why he did what he did was quite comprehensibly, as well as the way he did it, but already after the second target, her attention was drawn to the key element of the whole thing. The power and impact behind the revolver were amazing and would undoubtedly do a lot of harm in the right hands. From what she saw, these were more than just the right hands. The more so if one considers his semblance. With the force of the weapon came the recoil, but Smokey seemed to care relatively little about that, maybe a kind of shock absorbers or strong cushioning in general.

With a grin, Dawn crossed her arms and leaned forward as she started talking, not screaming, but loud enough for Smokey to hear from the distance. "Hey, handsome, impressive firepower you've got. Care to tell me how you've created this beauty?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
Chantou’s eyebrow raises again as Smokey begins to fire after his fairly-cryptic answer. She’d admit the strength behind the weapon was pretty brutal even as a glorified paintball gun, at least in comparison to her pistols - and she liked to think they packed a decent punch. Even then, Chantou’s not much of a academic - so it’s only  after he begins to record the outcome of his colorful destruction she finally understands, giving a little nod of understanding. So, what you’re sayin’ is you’re stress-testin’ the best shape for a shield,”[color] She responds. “Without actually sayin’ it?”

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 10:59:41 PM »
As he snaps pictures of the dummies, he compares the results to his expectations.  It’s obviously not hard to guess that the dummy with no shield had been absolutely splattered with paint, and vise versa for the dummy completely covered by the cardboard tower shield.  Those particular targets were controls for the experiment, one to represent ineffective cover and the other to represent excessive material. 

Obviously, the ideal would be to completely protected with the tower shield, but carrying that around would be impractical for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, it’d be too much weight.  Smokey already had to lug two heavy weapons and the ammo that goes with it, not to mention his basic survival supplies for long missions.  Adding that much extra weight could slow his movements to a crawl.  He’d have better defense, but he’d be more of a sitting duck than he already naturally is.

On top of that, it’d be pretty impractical in a fight.  He’d have a hard time aiming over it, for one.  The best way Smokey could think to use it would be to strap it to his back and turn around whenever he wanted to advance or reload without taking heavy fire.  Problem with that is he’d have to blind himself to the fight to do so.  So yeah, tower shield’s out due to excessive material.

So, the purpose of this experiment Is to find a shield shape that blocks 100% of the shot with 0% wasted material.  Obviously, such an event is unlikely in a field test, but that’s the idea.  For the most part, his results reflected his expectations.  Smokey may not be known for his keen intellect, but he’s been around guns all his life; he knows what his weapon’s spread looks like.  Furthermore, circles cover the most area with the least amount of material, so it’d be common sense to assume a round shield would offer the most protection per pound. 

And, sure enough, the circular trash can lid had scored very well in Smokey’s experiment.  It was a bit big, so there’s was a significant excess, but a simple reduction in area could easily solve that problem. However, there was another shield that had scored surprisingly well.  The dummy affixed with a cardboard kite shield had been spared a very significant amount of splatter, only small amounts had found their way past the barrier.  There wasn’t very much excess material either, meaning that the only thing he had to do was increase the area in a few dimensions.  Interesting.

It was at this moment when he heard Dawn call out.  Did she—did she just call him handsome?  Smokey turns around and gives her a funny look.  The boy doesn’t really know how to handle that.  He doesn’t know how to handle compliments at all, really.  Or women.  Especially not women giving him compliments.  He finally, albeit awkwardly, responds after a few seconds, ”Uh, thanks.  My dad and I made it.” 

It’s probably not as detailed an explanation as Dawn would like to hear, but she kinda caught Smokey off guard.  In fact, Smokey’s somewhat relieved when Chantou brings the conversation back on topic.  ”Uh, yeah, that’s—that’s actually a better way of explaining it, now that I think about it,” he responds as he comes back toward the firing line.   

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 11:28:51 AM »
A thin grin appeared on Dawn's face at Smokey's reaction. She found the whole situation very amusing, but it bothered her that Smokey hadn't answered her question. She wanted to know how he had built it and not who.

As much as it bothered her, she let the subject go. There were plenty of opportunities to look at the weapon later  She leaned back and turned her gaze to the dummies. "But don't forget to consider the shape in the installations, or do you want to carry this thing with you in the hand all the time?" she asked, then added, "And perhaps you should also consider a possible Dust-Incorporate. Hm, but who am I to tell you how to make his equipment?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
Dawn’s rather blatant flirting earns a curiously raised eyebrow from Chantou, visible even over her sunglasses. Maybe she has a thing for short guys with powerful guns? It’s at least amusing to see him flail in response. Guy must have no experience with women. “Keep your heat in check, alleycat. Don’t need it gettin’ any hotter round here.” She calls out to Dawn, before turning back to Smokey.

Dawn’s right about at least one thing - his gun’s got an impressive kick. Enough so to at least obliterate a good majority of candidates for shield shape, though the trash can lid and the tower shield make a surprisingly good case for themselves. “...if ya’ don’t mind me askin’, how do ya’ plan on incorperatin’ a shield into your fightin’ style? Most traditional shield users are like, swordsmen.”

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
As he crosses over the firing line once again, he continues flicking through the pictures he took of the dummies and making mental notes.  As Dawn makes her suggestions, he nods and says, ”I was thinking about that.  I originally thought about using hardlight dust, but I’d probably need a generator for that, and that just sounds like more effort than it’s worth.  Not to mention the expenses.  So I scrapped that idea pretty early on.”  He pauses for a minute as he fiddles with his scroll, bringing up a an image of a blueprint for a collapsible shield and showing it to his audience.  ”So, instead, I decided to go with a collapsible variant.  Sure, the weight would still be the same, but, as long as I don’t use too much material, that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.  The only issue is how much material is enough, hence…” he gestures to the massacred dummies behind him, may their sacrifice not be in vain.

”As for fighting,” he addresses Chantou, ”I’m mostly planning on using it to keep from getting shot in the event I can’t shoot back.  Otherwise, it ain’t gonna change much.”  He turns back to Dawn, ”I wasn’t really considering dust, either.  I’d have to build in the mechanism, first of all, which could ramp up the cost.  Second, I don’t really need the help in killing things.  Matchstick has enough oomph on its own.”  Yeah, the shield’s basically a stop-gap measure.  The sad reality is that he doesn’t have an answer to a sniper’s overwhelming range.  The least he could do is make sure they can’t hit him if he can’t hit them.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400