Author Topic: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aurelia Lumen vs. Airi Okairos  (Read 9316 times)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Re: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aurelia Lumen vs. Airi Okairos
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 01:19:37 AM »
Aurelia was still in a bad spot.  In fact, her most recent stunt had cost her Dusk, which now lay on the opposite side of the field.  By all accounts, she should have been cursing her fate in an unwinnable battle.  Yet instead, underneath her helmet, where her opponent couldn't see, there was a smile.  Aurelia's gamble had paid off!

By retreating backwards in time, Airi had proven she would take drastic measures to avoid contact with her semblance, which is more than enough to conclude there are major consequences for her if she does touch them.  While what exactly happens remains to be seen, this information is more than enough for Aurelia to convince herself of her capability to win. 

Which is why when the blast sent her back (another new piece of information!) and pulled the threads taut, she used those very threads as an elastic band to rocket herself straight back into Airi.  Her intent wasn't to charge into hand-to-hand, but to run straight through her, bowling her over. 

If she's successful, she'll continue running.  The gossamer threads will dig into her again, of course, but she's prepared for that.  Because even though the threads connect Aurelia to Airi, the same can technically be said the other way around.  Aurelia intends to drag the prone Airi through the next closest time remnant.  There's a little more to her plan, but this initial setup will have to take place first.

Aura: 81% (2% self-inflicted from threads)
Dusk Rounds: 8/10
Dust available/total:  Fire 16/20  Ice 18/20  Lightning 16/20 (Dust used in feint)

(Dusk currently unavailable)

Action:  Charge and drag into closest time remnant (5%)
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »
Airi saw Aurelia charging at her, rebounding using Fateweaver's threads.  Additionally, Lyra perceived that her time remnant was creeping up close to her, so Aurelia's immediate plan was not hard to deduce.  Airi got ready, waiting for the right time to respond.  Then, she hastily leaping to the side to narrowly avoid the imminent body slam, just as her 2-second time remnant approached her took her place.  She then accelerated her 5-second time remnant forward to herself.  As it fast-forwarded and became co-located with the 2-second time remnant, the one prior in time suddenly took physical form as a stasis anomaly out of place in the normal reference timeframe.  The time remnant's rendition of Fateweaver's threads, also now solid and immovable, held Aurelia in a death grip, its coil being exactly where the real Fateweaver's thread had just been moments before.

Airi got up off the floor and looked at Aurelia, whose neck was held completely immobile.  "No one uses my semblance against me," she said in a cold and menacing warning.  She then accelerated the remaining time remnant, causing it to also merge into the now-physically-manifested 2-second time remnant, ensuring that Aurelia would be locked in place for several seconds more.  With this, Airi moved towards around Aurelia's unarmed side to her rear side, Fateweaver-Prime's thread still tight around Aurelia's neck. Staying light on her feet, she then used Fateweaver to create a very large kinetic blast aimed at Aurelia back.  The blast would push Aurelia's torso forwards, yet Airi's immobilized neck would be going nowhere, ensuring that, at the minimum, Aurelia was going to suffer massive whiplash, if she didn't already have it.  At the same time, Airi, having taken care to be light, let herself be launched back by the recoil of the kinetic dust blast, causing Fateweaver's-Prime's thread to tighten even more.  Airi was adding to the whiplash by strangling Aurelia between the threads of the Past-Fateweaver and Fateweaver-Prime.

Aura: 85% (unchanged)
Atropos Kinetic Dust: 75% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Fire Dust: 95% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 70%
Fateweaver Ice Dust: 90% (unchanged)

Attacks:  2% (laceration when time remnant enters stasis) + 8% (kinetic dust blast) + 8% (whiplash resulting from the blast and immobilized neck) + 6% (strangulation by the two threads and subsequent laceration)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
"Ack!"  Aurelia chokes as she's caught in the suddenly corporeal threads.  This is...unexpected.  And annoying.  And very frustrating.  But also very enlightening.  So this is what Airi is so desperately avoiding.  Interesting.

Seeing how Airi continues to move, a new strategy forms in Aurelia's mind, as Airi's next move becomes oh so apparent.  "If you're going to make your next attack obvious, you should make absolutely sure your target can't defend against it, she mentally scolds her opponent, even as she's held still in place.  As Airi makes her attack, Aurelia's hand, still relatively unbound, makes its way behind her and projects an aura shield.  She has to make a fairly large shield encompassing her entire back, since she doesn't know the exact spot Airi's aiming at, but the damage done directly by the kinetic blast is all but negated. 

Still, the push and pull of the threads causes a choking sound to escape from Aurelia's lips, followed by a coughing fit as the time remnants' stasis ends.  As she catches her breath, she turns around to face her opponent, battered, but with far less damage taken then Airi would probably like.  "Is that all you can do?" she challenges, still taking deep breaths after being choked.

Aura: 70% (2% from threads entering stasis, 2% from manifesting aura shield, dust blast negated,  4% half damage from whiplash, 3% half damage from choking)

Action:  No action, recovering.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:15 AM »
Airi was more than a little annoyed that Aurelia had the discipline to continue to block despite the garrotte around her neck.  "You've got some discipline," she told Aurelia.  "But I'm not done quite yet," she continued.  Placing her armored gauntlet on the cable-threads, Airi, activated the lightning dust in her gauntlet, using the threads to carry electricity into Aurelia.  After waiting for a brief moment for the electricity to kick in and shock Aurelia, Airi created a time remnant, set for 5 seconds, and started walking, making sure to keep her distance from Aurelia while she continued to shock her.

Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 70% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 80%

Attacks:  8% (electrocution)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 11:57:49 PM »
Well, pardon her Mistrali, but this was going to suck like a bitch.  Aurelia could really only watch and brace herself as the cable started to spark with electricity.  As the effects of the lightning dust struck, Aurelia grit her teeth and struggled through it as best she could, but she was still forced to stumble to the side through the pain.  However, her mind is still sharp, despite the electricity coursing through her.

So when she sees Airi start to move after creating a time remnant, Aurelia acts, even though her movements are jerky and generally less graceful than she would like.  Placing her free hand along the cables, Aurelia moves as fast as she currently can towards her electrocutioner.  If Airi tries to hop back, her armored hand will pull on the cable to keep her locked in place.  After all, it's not like she can be shocked twice. 

Her charge would appear mostly fruitless to the uneducated observer, but the learned spectator would realize at least what Aurelia was attempting.  There was no way for Aurelia to defend against the electricity:  shields can't block a current, after all.  However, unless her opponent is wearing gratuitous amounts of rubber, any touch she makes against her will cause the electric current running through Aurelia to feedback into Airi.   Even if she has an insulated grip on the handle of her sword and tries to hold off Aurelia with it, the metal blade will almost certainly cause sparks to fly, and would ultimately prove only a temporary solution to Aurelia's stubborn plan.  Besides, as her other hand is currently holding on to the threads binding Aurelia, Airi's blade is the only obvious form of attack, which makes it quite easy for the horse faunus to angle her shield to intercept any attempted strike.

However, behind the visor where Airi can't see, Aurelia's not looking at her opponent.  She's watching the time remnant, or, more specifically, the threads of the time remnant.  If Aurelia is correct in her assumptions of Airi's semblance, there is a hole in Aurelia's plan that Airi could easily exploit.  All Airi would have to do is guide Aurelia through the incorporeal threads of her clone and then retreat back in time, knocking Aurelia back and placing her back at square one.  However, thanks to Aurelia's "stumble," there would only be one opportunity for Airi to do this. 

Again, if Aurelia is correct about Airi's semblance and tactics, Airi will retreat to her clone at that predictable time.  It's a bit of a mind game, but if it works, the real shocker will be Aurelia's escape from the weaves of Fate.  Until that time though, Aurelia plans to take the term a little more literally...

Aura: 62% (8% from electrocution)

Action:  Charging toward Airi, attempting to divert electricity back toward the source (8% electric)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:41:10 AM by ReaperJoe »

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »
Airi saw Aurelia rushing towards her, which is exactly why she had kept her distance from her entrapped opponent.  With the time to react, Airi used Fateweaver to launch a kinetic dust blast from Fateweaver to knock Aurelia back and maintain the distance between the two.  The design of the armored gauntlet allowed her to keep Aurelia entangled and still let her right arm be free enough to do at least this much.  It was a rather light dust blast, but Airi mainly wanted to keep the distance to let the lightning dust to work a little bit more.  After waiting about another second for the lightning dust to work, she ceased used the dust and with her sword raised, charged in to follow up on the knockback and electrocution.

Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 65%
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 60%

Attacks: 3% (kinetic dust knockback) + 8% (sustained electrocution)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 04:00:43 AM »
The kinetic dust blast comes as a surprise to Aurelia.  With no preparation to deal with such a surprise, no way to dodge or block the attack, she has no choice but to take the hit.  The kinetic blast strikes her and knocks her back...an inch.  It seems Airi made a nasty miscalculation.  The threads dig into her neck once again, but that's a small price to pay for the reward practically leaping into her arms. 

By using a kinetic blast, Airi had unwittingly blasted herself.  As the line goes taut, Aurelia yanks on the thread, forcing Airi forward.  It's not much, only a step on Airi's part, but the real prize is her now-outstretched hand.  Using the threads as a rebound once again, Aurelia dashed towards her opponent with greater speed than before.  The faunus's hand glides along the electrified cable, using it as a guide, before finally reaching the source of her ire.  The moment she's able, Aurelia attempts to grasp hold of Airi's wrist, causing the electricity coursing through her to now run through her opponent.  Even if Airi manages to pull her wrist away in time, she won't be able to get away from the charging Aurelia, and the charge will be certainly redirected regardless.  However, if Aurelia manages to grab the outstretched wrist, she'll use her momentum to dash behind Airi and pin her hand against her back, at which point she'll begin marching Airi towards her time clone to force Airi to choose between staying or getting paralyzed.

She'll attempt to do this regardless of the attempted grab's success, but if she does get the grab, Aurelia will position herself so the resulting blast both keeps her away from these damn threads but also launches her towards Dusk.  In any case, Aurelia will force the issue.  Be trapped with me or let us both go.

Aura: 57% (3% from knockback + 2% from whiplash.  Optional additional 8% if Airi truly wishes to continue the coursing electricity at this point)

Action:  Diverting lightning dust charge back to source, attempting grapple (8% electric + 8% additional if charge is truly still sustained.)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 01:08:08 AM »
Aurelia was charging her again, and she had her hand outstretched, about to grab Airi.  With Aurelia being electrocuted, letting her opponent barrel into her wasn't an option.  At the same time, Airi didn't think she could pull back her hand in time.  But she sure as hell wasn't going to let Aurelia grab a hold of her on hostile terms.  The only option, then, was to meet Aurelia's reach, even if she would take some of the electric charge back.  As Aurelia's arm came in, Airi braced herself and then pivoted her torso slightly to let Aurelia's arm extend and straighten as the hand moved up and came to rest on Airi's shoulder.  Grimacing as the felt the residual electric shock pass through Aurelia into herself, Airi immediately released her grip of Fateweaver's thread and reacted with a round punch to the cap of Aurelia's elbow.  It wasn't the strongest punch, especially given that Airi was just pulled off balance by Aurelia reeling from the kinetic dust blast and that Airi was hastily putting up a throw to meet Aurelia's attempt to grab her.  But luckily, Airi didn't need to make a strong punch for it to be devastating.  Using more kinetic dust from her gauntlet, she increased the force of her blow.  On top of that, Airi accelerated her semblance time remnant forwards to herself.  In that moment, Airi's figure appeared to fracture in and out as the echoing time remnant traced her actions with the barest milliseconds of lag.  Aurelia might have only seen one punch, but her arm definitely felt two.  Were it not protected with aura, the bone in her elbow would have been pulverized into powder and her arm distended.  But protected as she was with Aura, Airi's opponent was only going to be knocked back by the force of the blow, not to mention feeling the incredible pain. 

Airi then shrugged her shoulder so as to shove Aurelia's hand back at her opponent and off of her, taking advantage of the likely numbness resulting from the incredibly forceful punch.

Aura: 77%
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 50%
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 60% (unchanged)

Attacks: punch + kinetic dust + semblance (18%) + 2% (laceration)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 02:26:46 AM »
Airi's plan is devastating.  Not only does it defeat the entire purpose of her charge, but also deals a significant amount of damage.  If there was any real hope of Aurelia coming from behind and winning, it would be dashed in one fell swoop.  Every single tactic Aurelia has would be answered by her opponent, meaning she'd be forced to endure a few more seconds of these binds or surrender outright.  Truly, it would be a magnificent and almost completely clean victory for Airi.

Too bad the first part of her scheme requires Aurelia to play along.

Despite Airi's movements directing Aurelia to her shoulder, Aurelia continues to use the wires as a guide and moves her hand towards her opponent's wrist.  She does this for two reasons, the first being that the shoulder is, quite frankly, a terrible grapple target, especially for what is essentially a one-armed, unarmed warrior.  What would she do once she grabbed it?  Sure, the charge would transfer, but that was never the end goal in the first place.  The second being that the diligently-trained Aurelia was told very early on to never, ever, ever, not-in-a-million years, ever fully extend her arm because it would open her to an attack exactly like Airi envisioned.  So, instead, Aurelia's arm actually retracts to chase after Airi's wrist. 

Fortunately for Airi, her quick thinking manages to keep her wrist safe from Aurelia's clutch.  Unfortunately for Airi, Aurelia's shift in position lowers her own shoulder, and the weight of the heavy-armor wearing faunus combined with the pull force of Fateweaver combined with the added momentum from the rubber-band effect from Airi's latest attempt to dissuade her all work in the knight's favor to barrel straight into Airi and bowl her over.   Now, an awkward tackle isn't quite as good as a pinned wrist behind the back, but, circumstances considered, it's not far behind.  The electric charge is still certainly delivered, the devastating blow never gets an opportunity to present itself, Airi's remnant is marching ever closer, and Aurelia is actually in a favorable position for the first time this entire match.  Not that there's much she can do about it other than throw weak punches, but it's something.

Aura: 57% (no change, no attack received)

Action:  Charging into Airi, tackled to ground (5% from charge, 1% from hitting ground)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »
Airi hit the ground with a thud.  "This girl's heavy," she thought to herself as her opponent's armored body sat on top of her.  Pinned to the ground if by nothing other than the weight of Aurelia's armor, Airi seemed like she was in quite the uncomfortable position.  She craned her neck to look around, seeing her time remnant approaching her.  She didn't get to use it like she had planned as she was first tackled, but as it came close, Airi hastily evaluated her options.  She decided upon one and was glad the time remnant was still around.  Atropos still in hand, Airi attempted to bash her opponent's head with her sword's guard and pommel.

However, as much Airi was actually aiming to hurt her opponent with the guard bashes the head, this was just a distraction.  Airi, with her right hand still near her cable spool, surreptitiously unlocked the spool, and removed it from its mounting on her waist.  She then removed the latch mechanism for the spool threads from her gauntlet, barely moving her hand.  Out of the corner of her eye, Airi watched as her time remnant approached, and she waited for the right moment. 

The time remnant stepped close, and the right moment had appeared.  While still trying to attack Aurelia with her sword, Airi, with a flick of the wrist, tossed the thread latch and the spool in the direction of the time remnant, aiming for them to fly a little past the time remnant.  Immediately, she activated her semblance and retreated to her time remnant.  An aura shockwave followed, blasting Aurelia one direction and the latch and spool in the other direction.  Now at her time remnant's place, Airi grabbed the spool and latch as they flew past her.  Taking advantage of Aurelia's distraction from the shockwave, Airi reattached the two articles as they were before.  She was now behind Aurelia, who was on the ground and still had Fateweaver's threads wound around her neck.  Airi reengaged the spring and locked the spool, removing the slack from the threads.

With Aurelia's back turned towards her, Airi pulled as hard as she could on the cables, choking Aurelia to keep her off balance.  Airi then unlocked her spool and advanced against her opponent, sword raised and ready to strike.

Aura: 71%
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 65% (refund from interrupted attack)
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 60% (unchanged)

Attacks: semblance shockwave (12%) + choking (4%)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »
Airi's plan once again would be very frustrating to Aurelia, to say the least.  Which is why it's very fortunate that the horse faunus is plenty capable of throwing a spanner in the works.  Several, in this particular instance, as Airi's plan required at least a bit of prep time. 

For starters, the guard bash is quick, and the only thing Aurelia can do before it strikes is get a hand up.  That is more than plenty, as an aura shield is projected from her hand, blocking the attempted strike.  As for the hand with fateweaver, because Airi is "barely moving" it, it is incredibly easy for Aurelia to place a knee on top of the wrist Airi would need to use to toss the spool further than a couple of inches.

As for "watching" the remnant out of the corner of her eye, it'll be rather difficult for Airi to watch much of anything with a unicorn-emblazoned shield doing its best to become intimate with her skull.  Airi would have to make the throw blind unless she could remove the obstruction.

And even then, even then, if Airi still somehow manages to thwart Aurelia's preventative measures, the knight is not only expecting but absolutely counting on Airi retreating to her clone.  This means that Aurelia would be bracing herself for the shockwave (which she knows about, due to experiencing it once before) and would be much less distracted than Airi thinks, giving Aurelia the opportunity to throw her shield at the spool and knocking it far, far out of reach of Airi's grasp.  Yes, this will mean depriving her of any weapon besides her fists for the moment, but there is no chance in hell that she is going to spend one more second in those god-forsaken, thrice-damned threads.

This all means that Airi's inevitable retreat will set Aurelia free, although possibly sans shield.  Now, Aurelia would be in a somewhat vulnerable position from the shockwave, but she's prepared for it, so the remainder of her energy is spent doing her utmost to dodge any ice dust rounds Fateweaver might shoot out.  She is absolutely not about to trade one prison for another. 

Aura: 44% (taking damage from shockwave, 1% from aura shield)

Action:  Shield-bash into Airi (3% +1% crushing for each second of time she wants to waste before retreating with semblance)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 01:57:53 AM »
Airi felt her wrist pinned, so she could not proceed with her planned.  She had to think of something new, and quick.  She still held onto Fateweaver's threads, and it seemed that Aurelia wanted Airi to retreat to her semblance.  But the good thing about Airi's semblance was that it always gave her options.  The time remnant was fast approaching.  Time to put one of those options to use.  Airi re-secured the thread to her gauntlet using the latch mechanism.  Still gripping Fateweaver's threads with her gauntlet, she headbutt Aurelia.  Again, this wasn't meant to particularly damage her opponent, but instead to give her something to focus on.  The time remnant seemed to move faster than before.

Within a brief moment, the time remnant was nearly upon her.  Immediately, Airi activated half of her dust reserves in her gauntlet, and channeled it through Fateweaver.  Aurelia might have been putting weight on Airi's gauntlet, but that wouldn't stop her from using her semblance energy.  The energy crackled as the various dust types mixed, under control only by Airi's aura as channeled through her gauntlet.  Airi had no clear idea about what she was doing with the dust, but that didn't matter.  All that mattered was that the dust creation was volatile.  Airi, using her sword hand, gripped lightly at Aurelia's defending hand, not enough to seriously hinder Airi's grip of her weapon, but enough to slightly grip Aurelia's hand/fingers.

All of a sudden, Airi froze.  The time remnant, accelerated by Airi, had caught up to her.   She went into stasis, untouchable to the outside world.  As Airi temporarily dissociated from the world, the agglomeration of activated dust energy previously kept in check by Airi channeling through her gauntlet exploded in a large release of energy.  Airi, being in stasis, took no damage from the blast, but Aurelia, with her knee and torso over Airi's gauntlet, was exposed to the full brunt of the blast.  Aurelia might have been able to maneuver her shield to protect her, but it was unlikely, given how close to the ground the two were, how large the shield was, and how Aurelia' was kept in place by the stasis thread and Airi's light stasis grip.

After several brief seconds, Airi exited stasis and pushed Aurelia off of her, before preparing to re-engage with her weapons, leaving no time for Aurelia to get a break after the dust explostion.

Aura: 66%
Atropos Kinetic Dust: 38%
Fateweaver Fire Dust: 48%
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 33%
Fateweaver Ice Dust: 45%
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 30%

Attacks: dust explosion (20%), note last turn's semblance shockwave was interrupted and aborted.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
Aurelia feels Airi's head shift underneath her shield.  This will not do, and Airi suffers another shield bash for her troubles.  But then she notices other things, like the sudden crackling of energy underneath her knee, or the sudden grip she feels on her free hand.  She also sees how the accelerating time remnant.   It seems Aurelia has a decision to make, one with no good options.

The first option would be to roll off Airi and try and avoid the blast, but that would basically guarantee that Airi would escape, so that is unacceptable.  The second option would be to try and shift her body so she could block the blast or whatever it was her opponent was trying, but that has the possibility to allow Airi to escape, so that is unacceptable.  That leaves...

Aurelia decides not to change much about her predicament, only adjusting her free hand to wrap around Atropos, not even really fighting Airi's own grip.  She then lifts the shield only enough to Airi to look up at Aurelia's visor, and the horse faunus simply asks, "Do you know the difference between you and me?"  That would be the last thing Airi hears before she enters stasis, and Aurelia braces for the inevitable.

Pain wracked her body as the explosion goes off.  The pain only lasts for an instant, but Aurelia is left panting in the aftermath.  Still, the stasis Airi suffers gives her the time she needs to recover, and she barely has to move at all to resume her previous position.  Thanks to the threads holding her in place, her body stays mostly in place; thanks to Airi gripping her free hand, Aurelia's hand is still wrapped around Atropos.  All she needs to do is place her knee on top of her opponent's wrist and the shield back on her face, and the two would be in the exact same position they started in.  But Aurelia doesn't place the shield over Airi's face.  Instead, she moves it to the side, almost like she's winding up for an attack.

See, the threads acting to keep Aurelia in place are also in stasis, and Aurelia knows that they'll only move once the stasis ends.  With the sensitive skin around her neck, she'll be able to tell the instant the stasis ends and, more importantly, the instant when Airi will be vulnerable once more. This all serves to give Aurelia first-move priority, despite just suffering a heavy attack.

As soon as the paralyzing sensation around her neck ends, Aurelia springs into action, and two things happen simultaneously: first, the hand gripping Atropos tightens and yanks Airi's sword hand up.  Second, Aurelia's shield comes careening in towards the now exposed wrist.  As soon as the hit connects, Aurelia uses all of her might to yank Atropos out of Airi's hand.  At that point, Airi doesn't have to shove Aurelia off of her, as the knight gets up on her own and leaves her downed opponent with a quick slash with her own weapon.

Interestingly, Aurelia finds it rather easy to stand up.  It seems at some point Airi had unlocked the spool and let it spin freely, for whatever reason.  However, Aurelia makes no move to remove her binds.  She had taken that blast for two reasons.  The first, obviously, was to gain an advantage in the form of depriving her enemy of her weapon.  The second, however, was self-punishment for her own short-sighted shenanigans.  Aurelia had been so focused on freedom that she had unnecessarily exposed herself to danger.  Had she kept her sword from the very beginning, the threads would most likely have proved nothing more than a nuisance, but hindsight comes with a certain degree of clarity that is missed in the heat of the present.

Now, though, Aurelia sees these threads as a potential tool to use to her advantage, as she should have seen them from the start.  For now, the only thing Aurelia does with this temporary freedom is move away from the path Airi had taken to get to her position.  The last thing she needs is to be blasted by another time remnant. 

Aura: 36% (full damage from blast)

Action:  Shield-bash into Airi (3%) Shield Strike into Airi's wrist (1%)  Atropos Slash (5%)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
Airi rejoined the rest of the world, ready to fight, but she immediately felt a pain to her wrist.  Before she knew it, Aurelia had wrested Atropos from her grip.  She was going to lose control of her weapon.  Nonetheless, Aurelia was off of her.  Just as Aurelia attempts to attack Airi with her own weapon, however, Airi, blocks the swing with her armored gauntlet before immediately grabbing the blade.  The thing about attacking an opponent downed at your feet with anything other than a stab, is that it leaves the stability of your stance much to be desired.  Airi capitalizes on this and immediately yanks towards herself, pulling Aurelia downwards.  Airi tucks in her legs and uses them to continue Aurelia's tumbling momentum and launch her opponent on to the ground behind her.  In the middle of Aurelia's mid-air tumble, Airi, owing to her familiarity with her own weapon, quickly reached up and ejected from Atropos its kinetic dust reserves. 

As Aurelia landed on the ground behind her, Airi quickly got off the ground, and added Atropos's kinetic dust to that of her gauntlet.  Hastily, Airi reclaimed her thread spool, locked it, and replaced it on her hip, but she otherwise completely disengaged it from use.  She had no use for the threads now.  From here on out, it would just be her favored weapon and her semblance.  Airi stepped back away from Aurelia, started to walk in a circular path, and activated her semblance, creating a number of time remnants.  There was one at three seconds, five seconds, seven seconds, and ten seconds.

Aura: 62%
Fateweaver Fire Dust: 48% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Kinetic Dust: 100+%  (error from last time, Atropos kinetic dust should have stayed at 75%)
Fateweaver Ice Dust: 45% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Lightning Dust: 30% (unchanged)
Fateweaver Gravity Dust (50%) unchanged

Attacks: tripping Aurelia into a somersault (1%)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
Aurelia's a little disgruntled that her first swing in what feels like ages misses, not to mention used against her.  Still, as she tumbles down, she attempts a cheeky shield bash just to remind her that there are other ways Aurelia can deal damage.  Still, there's not much else she can do other than recover as gracefully as possible.  As she's still somewhat recovering from the blast, that's easier said than done.  When Aurelia finally gets back to her feet, Airi had just locked her spool of threads back in place.  Aurelia immediately braces for the inevitable removal of slack, but it never comes.

Well, if she's going to be so polite about it... Aurelia quickly removes the cable, making sure to keep her guard up in case Airi uses that moment as an opening to attack.  Afterwards, Aurelia also steps back, partly to keep Airi from completely encircling her, and partly to examine her new sword.  She notices Atropos is missing its dust, but it doesn't bother her too much:  she never really used kinetic dust.  A ranged option would have been nice, but that's her own fault.  Looking to Dusk's location, she finds its not too far away from her position, all things considered.  If she wanted to, she could make a break for it, but she seriously doubts her opponent would make it that easy on her.  Besides, as a result of this fight so far, Airi has exposed a fatal flaw: she's afraid of risk.  From the very beginning of the fight, Airi has avoided fighting head-on.  In fact, her first move was to run to the treeline, rather than stand and fight.  Even when they first actually crossed swords, Airi had led with a feint.  Her real intention was to try and freeze Aurelia in place.  Even when Aurelia was bound in the threads and without her sword, Airi never once engaged in melee.  Even when she had been tackled, the most uncertain position she had been in yet, Aurelia was more than willing to bet Airi had hidden distractions in an attempt to hide her true intentions.  And that doesn't even account for her semblance.  A semblance that lets her run away from bad situations, one that lets her diminish risk to a minimum?  Hmm, what kind of personality would lend itself to an ability like that?

Aurelia, on the other hand, had been taking risks this entire fight.  From her standing her ground at the beginning, to attempting a blow-for-blow trade, to tossing aside her sword in an attempt to escape the bind of the threads.  And while none of them had worked out how she had hoped, she had used those opportunities to learn and adapt.  She knows and understands how Airi's semblance works, namely that she can use it to run away, enter stasis, and even accelerate them.  It's not too hard of a stretch to imagine they can be used to enhance her attacks as well, should the need arise, but that's more of a hunch than anything else.  Regardless, Aurelia's "reckless" risk-taking led her to the understanding of Airi's fighting style, and its flaw, as well.

With all this in mind, there's one more reason Aurelia backs away from the attempted encirclement: Airi will be forced to come to Aurelia on uncertain terms.  She'll be forced to change course if she wishes to engage in melee, if she attacks from range, Aurelia's certain she can dodge or block anything Airi tries to throw at her.  This all means that Airi will almost certainly try and feint in order to create an opening.  Which means all Aurelia has to do is stay one step ahead.

Aura: 35%

Action:  Cheeky Shield-bash into Airi (1%) Moving away from encirclement, keeping all time remnants and Airi equidistant.  Taking dodge action.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400