Author Topic: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Justice Montenegro vs. Saffron de Cortez  (Read 6643 times)

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
”Hey, now that I think about it, this script actually kind of sucks. It’s super lengthy and boring, which is literally the opposite of what we want for a tournament” Sounds of crumpling paper rings out for quite a bit of time until Hunter realizes that he should probably be doing his job. ”Anyway, we got this Beacon kid called Justice Montenegro. If you ask me, he’s CLEARLY in the wrong occupation with a semblance that is going to have zero application. Be an entrepreneur! You’ll go far kid!” Hunter’s cheerful voice sours as he goes to address the other combatant. ”From our wonderful prestigious academy, we have Saffron de Cortez. Once again, I sincerely offer a transfer from our academy to another that is far more deserving of you.” It was a little strange, but Hunter’s almost rude tone sounded a little wistful at the end.

”Despite being one of them, Miss Saffron does have a lot of...potential. She has the right attitude, and the combat skills to back it up. Either way, we’ll have to see the results of this bracket before we further the issue. It doesn’t really seem like she should have much trouble this round, but you never know with these kinds of tournaments, I suppose. But anyways, we’ve kept you for long enough!” A large holographic image of a lottery machine appears on all sides of the arena, with two spinners. The spinners spun so quickly, making it nearly impossible to make out the passing words. It ticked through the options slower and slower until it finally stopped on Ice Dust Field and Wind Dust Field.

The floor of the arena lowered and, in its place, arose two new floors. On Justice’s side, an extremely flat snowy field would appear. On Saffron’s side, rocky plains would appear. Normally, these two areas would contain their own respective dust types. However, due to the combination of environments, both areas will contain hybrid “blizzard” crystals. These can both freeze you and send you flying quite a distance! They’ll be located under the thin layer of snow on Justice’s side, and hidden under the rocks on Saffron’s side.

As the spinner finished its job and faded away, the doors on each side of the arena opened to signify the start of the match.

(A coin flip has decided that Saffron will get the first post. The arena size is identical to that of the 1v1 arena in the show, however, it features scaled down biomes to fit the size. Good luck, and may the best combatant win.)
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Whatever Saffron was expecting as an introduction it wasn't that. One of those? Saffron repeated Hunter's words in her mind. It wasn't hard to decipher what he meant and the jeering already had begun from the crowds meant any hope for a 'home-ground' advantage was lost. Still not one to let little things like words keep her down Saffron steeled herself for the coming fight and tried not to kick herself too hard for thinking things would be different, that she could showcase the partnership between Atlas and Faunus. Turning her attention to the matter at hand, her opponent apparently didn't have a direct combat focused semblance and although that could be an advantage it meant this Justice could have spent more time on other aspects of his fighting style.

'Well met Justice, may you find honour and glory here and in all your battles to come.' Saffron called out to her opponent, her good wishes were genuine but there was a hotbed of anxiety beneath it all. Saffron kneeled down taking a handful of sand and watched it run through her fingers, it felt like her first home, good memories, and laughter. Still looking down Saffron called out 'Are you ready Justice? I want you to be at your best.' Slowly rising Saffron took two of her hatchets out and swapped them to their boomerang form. Maybe too far away to be clearly seen Saffron was combat ready, thick metal plating left only her face visible with eyes who's intense glare could be felt from the opposite side of the stadium.

Saffron trusted herself in an open brawl but understood it would be optimal to hang back for a bit just so she could get a feel for her opponent. Of Course, there is a chance she would be giving away just as much about her own style but it was a plan and for now at least Saffron's best.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
If Justice was being totally honest, he was not taking this whole 'Vytal Festival' occasion as seriously as the others. Sure, an opportunity to take on students from other schools was definitely interesting, but the whole affair seemed overblown. The announcers did not help matters much. Their prejudices and squabbling were hardly informative to the viewing audience. Speaking of, the crowd seemed to be openly deriding either just his opponent or both of them. He would not be surprised at either, knowing the general temperament of the Atlesian crowds. He actually would prefer if they were jeering them both. Their hatred of him gives him more confidence in his superiority.

Justice sauntered out of the opening, his walking stick crunching the snow beneath it as he went. His opponent did not seem to be in a hurry to start the fight either. Which worked perfectly well for him. He wanted to take his time. Besides, he was facing a faunus girl in Atlas, the last thing he wanted was to give these people what they wanted. Moving cautiously through the snow, Justice avoided the few ice dust crystals he could see as he made his way toward the center of the arena.

"Well met to you, Miss Saffron. Would you mind indulging me for a quick moment with a handshake?" he said, walking closer to her and glancing down in order to avoid more ice crystals. "It is not often that I get to fight someone from the home kingdom. I would like to offer my pleasantries." he said, slicking his hair to the side with his gloved hand. He wore one of his favorite three piece suits to the occasion. He could feel the derision from the crowd, especially with them not starting the match immediately. It was not only palpable, it was utterly delicious.
1st Year Beacon Student Michael Vaktar http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html
1st Year Beacon Student Chris "The Tiger" Sebei  http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,601.0.html
1st Year Student Theodore "Teddy" Williams http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,744.0.html
3rd Year Beacon Student Justice Montenegro http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,1081.0.html

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Well, a pleasant response was one thing but an offer of more intimate greetings had Saffron's suspicions raised but given how she was being judged by the crowd she decided to give the fancy dressed man a chance. Hands at her side Saffron walked slowly towards Justice before extending her right in greeting. 'They can do a whole lot better than this, just give them time.' Saffron explained awkwardly. Not being around a Faunus would be a good start. Saffron thought bitterly to herself taking what small solace she could in being shown hospitality by her opponent even if her countrymen would never do the same.

The slow walk over did give both fighters plenty of opportunities to study each other. Justice clearly has a flair for the dramatic. Saffron thought to herself dryly looking at the cane and suit. Well that was kind of obvious with this stunt he was pulling but then again Saffron's armour wasn't purely utilitarian itself and she was happy to play along for now at least. Years of defending racists and bigots had lead Saffron to savour small moments of victory even if she could already hear the chewing out she would receive victory or defeat, even one of the announcers was one of her teachers and that was going to cause issues.

'I appreciate the visual, starting by talking instead of fighting but you know it can't last forever? That being said it doesn't have to end right away, is this the first time you've been to Atlas proper? As long as you can stand the chill there are quite a few places worth a look.' Saffron continued smiling warmly, there was always a chance that this was all an elaborate trick and that thought lingered within Saffron's mind but she backed herself her in a close quarter fight. Trick or no trick I'm going to come out on top here and prove everyone wrong. Saffron swore internally.

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
Justice cautiously made his way closer to the girl, well aware that him taking his eyes off of her for that long put him at great risk. But, he knew that she could never do so. The look of it all would be horrendous. Imagine he goes in with a sign of good faith and she sneak attacks him? She's already on thin ice as it is, so he felt moderately confident in his own safety.

"You and I are both aware of exactly how these people are." he said, coming to a stop just short of the center dividing line. "You see, I am Atlesian. I was born and raised not too far from here. It is lovely to be back home." he said, sending out a wave of his semblance. He could tell she was genuine, but still doubted his sincerity. Considering what she was and where she stood, it was understandable.

"I know the odds of this fight. I would like to savor what may be the one fight I have in this tournament. So, here's to an enlightening match." he said, holding out his hand for a handshake across the center line. His other hand was behind his back, holding his walking stick.
1st Year Beacon Student Michael Vaktar http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html
1st Year Beacon Student Chris "The Tiger" Sebei  http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,601.0.html
1st Year Student Theodore "Teddy" Williams http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,744.0.html
3rd Year Beacon Student Justice Montenegro http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,1081.0.html

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Saffron grasped Justice's hand is her own, giving it a tight squeeze. 'I know how they are now but I also know what they can be. Someone has to be the catalyst for change and I will be apart of that.' Saffron responded shaking herself loose for the upcoming brawl. There was a clear truth behind Justice's words if she accepted the world as it is she would have would have given up a long time ago. Irrational? Perhaps but the Saffron would need more that being optimistic if she wanted to change the world. 'The announcers may have counted you out but I could hardly strive to prove them wrong about myself and deny you the right to. I won't go easy but don't count yourself out yet.' Saffron assured her opponent, even in the face of imminent combat Saffron's protective instincts prevent her from letting anyone look down on themselves.

If Justice doesn't respond aggressively Saffron will back off slightly giving herself ten or so meters of space before drawing two of her boomerangs and set herself up ready to throw at a moment's notice. 'Such a welcoming greeting deserves to be rewarded somewhat however, we'll start on your mark if you wish.' Saffron continues growing increasingly aware of the jeering from the crowds around them. There was a difference between annoying the racists with justifiable shows of sportsmanship and adding another reason of Faunus 'disrespecting core Atlas institutions.'

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
"If you insist." Justice said, watching as she took her paces out. The devious part of his mind considered striking her as she moved back, but it would be a shame to waste good etiquette. "Personally, I could not give less of a damn what these announcers say. The only insight they give is into the failings of the Atlesian educational system. What I care about is resolve. I sense a fair amount of it in you, and wish to know exactly how much you will let show. But, enough talking. Begin on my mark. 3...2...1..."

At the end of his count, Justice quickly flipped his walking stick around and fired the end into the air. The bladed missile flew up at approximately 87.4 degrees in the general direction of Saffron. While it flew, Justice charged his opponent. The relatively short distance was covered quickly and Justice sent a jumping kick at Saffron, aiming for her center of mass. His walking stick, missing its front third, was aimed at the ground to Saffron's left.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Aura:100%

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
(I just guessed damage so feel free to correct me)

'If it's resolve you want Justice, you've come to the right place.' Saffron responded grinning wildly before sending two of her boomerangs towards her opponent. This did leave Saffron open to Justice's first attack who barely got her second pair of weapons up in time to react. Taking the kick on her bracers Saffron activated her semblance and Justice could easily tell his attack didn't have half the impact he was expecting. Holding on the to charged energy, for now, Saffron shifted her weight back, trying to upset Justice's balance before slamming forward with one of her hatchets. Keeping on back on defense Saffron was wary of whatever tricks Justice's weapons could pull knowing first hand the danger exotic weapons could bring.

It doesn't look half as crazy as Aurum's Silver Proteus so hopefully it isn't anything too unexpected.' Saffron thought to herself. Mentally kicking herself for so quickly sacrificing the initiative, she was lucky Justice also seemed to melee based otherwise she could be blown away. She would have to keep it in mind for future fights. If you even get that far. That little nagging voice kept whispering in her ear but Saffron knew what would silence it soon enough. Victory.

Status
Aura: 97%(Kick doing 9%/3 from semblance)
Semblance: 94%, 6% stored
General Disposition: Determined and Happy

Attacks
2x5% Boomerangs
6% Hatchet Strike

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
Justice began to reaffirm most of his assumptions about Saffron as the fight began proper. She had a plethora of technical skill, familiarity with her weapon, and a sense of positioning in mind. She had some form of battle strategy in mind, although he failed to see any killer instinct within her. He looked for the machismo and confidence that usually begot a huntress, but found none of it in her. It was particularly disappointing, as that was one of the things he cherished most about the opportunity presented in the tournament.

While it made sense that she would throw him off balance, it was not the first time an opponent had tried to throw him off. It was simply a matter of adjusting your footwork, cautiously advancing, and looking for an opening to strike. She even tried to throw her boomerangs at him, how novel. He was not about to be taken out by these child's toys. He showed his agility, deftly moving around both the boomerangs and the hatchet. He stood back up, his missile soaring past Saffron as he shifted its trajectory. He had a smug grin plastered on his face, which fell with a sudden pain to the back of the neck. The little bitch caught him with the boomerangs. He will have to start taking this seriously. He sent a low kick at her knee and aimed his razor to hit her in the back.

Aura: 96%

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
(In future I'd rather post when the boomerangs return usually a post or two later than you take it straight away)

Happy that at least one of her boomerangs hit on the return journey, the face that it wiped off Justice was an added bonus, Saffron slapped the one that missed into the ground as Justice repositioned his missile. The huntress-in-training had no idea what that missile was going to do but it wasn't something she could just ignore firing off one of her hatchet's wind dust shells to blow the projectile off course. A lucky move all things considered as it gave Saffron enough time to dodge the attack. It left her open to Justice's kick but again Saffron's semblance was there to soften the blow somewhat.

Using the stored energy Saffron rotated her hatchets on the ground around so the shotguns were facing Justice then used her console to fire two ice shells and the huntsman-in-training's legs. The well-dressed boy had already displayed impressive agility and if Saffron was going to have a chance of bringing him down she would need to find a way of countering that. This assault was followed up by two hatchet strikes, striking hard and fast at Justice's core. The downside of blowing away the missile was that Saffron lost sight of it, incapable of taking such a dangerous opponent Saffron simply had to trust her instincts to avoid it in the future.

Status
Aura: 94%(Kick doing 9%/3 from semblance)
Semblance: 88%, 6% stored, 2% used to move boomerangs, 4% wasted.
General Disposition: Schadenfreude

Attacks
2x4% Ice dust Shells
2x6% Hatchet Strike

Hatchets
Hatchet 1: On the ground to Saffron's left. In Boomerang Form.
Hatchet 2: On the ground to Saffron's right. In Boomerang Form.
Hatchet 3: Wielded in Saffron's right hand. In Hatchet Form.
Hatchet 4: Wielded in Saffron's left hand. In Hatchet Form.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:48:47 AM by Kingnoname1 »

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
While Justice was keen on being able to track multiple organisms simultaneously, it was rather difficult for him to track the objects his opponent was throwing around. In this instance, Justice did remember rule #72-A of Mordekai's Guide to Common Sense: always know what direction the gun is pointing. His kick seemed to do little, his razor was off course, and two weapons were pointed at his legs. The solution seemed simple. Jump vertically, reattach the razor, come in for an overhead strike.

He somehow did not take into account that the opponent would double down on a single direction of attack. Rather than retreating or advancing, his opponent moved no ground. On the descent of his jumping arc, Justice was stuck in the midsection with one of the girl's hatchets. His momentum carried him forward, causing him to land on his left shoulder and roll forward. He quickly got back to a vertical base, but his concentration was stirred for a second.

It was clear that he needed to keep moving if he wanted to avoid the guns. He wasted no time in running to Saffron's right side, aiming a kick at the back of her head as he went.

Aura: 86%

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Ducking her head down to avoid Justice's overhead strike Saffron was definitely impressed by her opponent remaining aware of her multiple avenues of attack but never the less an opening appeared for Saffron to exploit. Shifting one of her hatchets back into it's boomerang she then put the stored energy Saffron had gathered from her semblance into a truly immense amount of force behind the throw, particularly odd considering her throwing style didn't change at all. Unfortunately for the Faunus huntress in training Saffron didn't have much time to enjoy the sight of the attack in flight as Justice moved to her right side, clearly setting up an attacking. Rolling on her left to retrieve one of her discarded boomerangs and trying to match Justice's movement Saffron never the less quickly got outmaneuvered by her far faster opponent.

Still, what Saffron lacked in maneuverability she made up for durability and with her semblance taking much of the hits that slipped passed her guard that was only magnified. Saffron's quills puffed up as Justice's kick connected, being on the receiving end of more than her fair share of head knocks Saffron knew she could toughen out the consequences if Justice wasn't going to get too much of an advantage. Moving in to attack again Saffron feinted with another hatchet strike on her left side before unloading two wind dust shells into Justice at close range with her right hatchet.

Status
Aura: 91%(Kick doing 9%/3 from semblance)
Semblance: 76%, 6% stored, 6% expended
General disposition: Groggy but determined

Attacks
Supercharged Boomerang 5+6%
2x4% Wind dust shells

Hatchets
Hatchet 1: Wielded in Saffron's left hand. In Boomerang Form.
Hatchet 4: Thrown at Justice. In Hatchet Form.

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
It was clear to Justice that he was getting nowhere in the current moment. Justice dodged the feint, causing him to get hit with the blast from the right as it grazed his right shoulder. Three separate strikes from him accomplished little to none. This girl has some sort of trick up her sleeve. Justice brandished his weapon, slicing at her midsection as he moved to her right side. As he got there, he planted his feet and went for an open-hand slap to the face.

Damned if he was going to go through all of this trouble and not find out something of value, entertainment or otherwise.

Aura: 79%
Slice: 7%
Slap: 3%

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Saffron knew it would be unreasonable to expect every throw of hers to hit but putting so much force behind her last one it was disheartening to see it completely miss. Still, the weapon being in the air did finally give Saffron the opportunity to use the second stage of her semblance. Expecting a kick Saffron's guard wasn't fast enough to block Justice's slice which struck hard against her armoured stomach. Half doubling over Saffron managed to duck under Justice's slap and used her lower position to launch a savage counter-attack.

Three quick hatchet strikes aimed at Justice's core just as he locked his feet. This frontal assault was assisted with the boomerang slamming back re-aimed and augmented thanks to Saffron's semblance. Putting out so many attacks did cause Saffron to overextend herself leaving her open for a counter attack if Justice wasn't overwhelmed by her attacks that is. It was a risk that the Faunus often took and although it often leads to a lot of pain it ensured even if she would go down she would never be taken lightly.

Status
Aura: 84%(7% from Slice)
Semblance: 70%, 6% expended
General disposition: Increasing Ferocity

Attacks
Not-Quite-Supercharged Boomerang 5+2%
3x4% Quick Hatchet strikes

Hatchets
Hatchet 1: Wielded in Saffron's left hand. In Boomerang Form.
Hatchet 4: Thrown at Justice. In Hatchet Form.

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
Justice managed to shift his weight enough to barely dodge the first two strikes by retreating backwards. He would have managed the third if that damn boomerang did not manage to hit him square in the back, which sent him straight into a strike to the midsection. Reeling back, Justice gained some distance and dropped to a knee. "Fine, we shall do this your way, then." he said, pushing a few buttons on his Razor to make the blade begin to rapidly spin.

With the boring mode on his weapon active, he ran forward and unleashed a set of rapid thrusts targeting various parts of the body. He aimed for the right shoulder first, followed by the appendix, the left ventricle of the heart, the groin, and the jugular artery in that particular order. While this was a risky move, as it left him focused on one target, the amount he had been paying attention to her fighting style lead him to think she had no more hatchets in play at the current moment.

Aura: 70%
Drill attacks: 4%, 5%, 5%, 7%, 8%