Author Topic: ABoat time [Open]  (Read 7081 times)

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Re: ABoat time [Open]
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:35:35 AM »
’Did you? I’m sorry Kisha, must have slipped my mind. It won’t happen again.’ Calen frowned, he genuinely had forgotten their previous discussion. Not exactly an encouraging signal but Calen was never one to pay much attention to warning signs. Slumping down on a relatively dry bit of the deck the gaunt boy sort to get a little more rest and closed his eyes. Their boat was reasonably clear of obstacles so it could drift harmlessly for a short while and Calen was keep to take as much advantage as he could from that. ’Perhaps I just take a different approach to ‘you only live once’ but how about after we both complete our schooling we see which one of our approach worked out best.’ Calen responded still not opening his eyes, at least partially as a joke. He would have been interested in continuing this discussion but it was rather clear the Kisha didn’t feel the same. Finding out Kisha’s semblance would have to do and hopeful Calen may be able to trick his first mate into thinking he didn’t see the portals.

’I’ll try not to read too much into that Kisha, my favourite colour is green actually not grey. I somewhat understand the confusion, I don’t wear much green while wearing almost entirely black and white but that is just to always look my best. I suppose you have a similar decision wearing more brown than black, although I suppose the latter fits more with your team’s colour.’ Calen remarked smiling slightly beneath his closed eyes. Calen held a lot of importance in seemingly meaningless pieces of information like favour colour or meals as he thought he could use it to find out a lot about a person. In reality what each colour ‘means’ is so wide that you could easily twist anything to fit but Calen found it a relatively interesting thought experiment nevertheless.

’I always like the tales of the Fae, creatures of phenomenal beauty, grace and cunning so the similarities with myself are obvious. Horribly monstrous through and through but they had their own rules and societies which develop aside our own.’ Calen answered smiling even wider at his not-so-humble brag. ’What about you? Can’t go wrong with the classics I guess; dragons, sphinxes, and the like?’ Calen offered as he leant his head back finding something to support himself before he tumbled over. It was rather relaxing, reasonably dark all around with the steady lapping of waves on the hull was very soothing and lulled Calen into a conscious but mostly asleep state.

’I suppose it is a rather uninspired way of getting to know each other. Would you like to try something a little different, feel free to lie if you don’t feel like sharing of course. We could tell stories or play a game of two lies and a truth.’ Calen offered, his voice finally regaining some enthusiasm although his eyes remained shut. It had been a long day and all Calen had wanted was to catch some fish.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
"Calen, aka, Captain Moodkiller the fairy lover, try to say that 10 times in a row" Kisha joked as she leaned back and stared into the distance. How far away the shore looked was in some weird way really incredible.
Here they were, floating aimlessly on the water and nobody cared. Wonderful! "But yes, fairies are pretty cool, even though personally I don't esteem them as much as other mythical creatures... Wings and magic are really great and... Well, charming, but they're always posed as peaceful and playful folks who would like to plant flowers all day long. At least that's the way it is in most stories." She averted her gaze from the shore and turned to Calen, "Dragons and Sphinxes? Close but not quite right, I love phoenixes, beautiful birds, which, when their lives come to an end, they go up in flames and are reborn out of their own ashes. An eternal life with infinite beauty, so dreamy and at the same time so sad" She swarmed as she went more and more into the narrative. Phoenixes were always their number one and there was probably no book under the sun about these mysterious creatures that she hasn't read.

Kisha sat down next to a pile of fishing gear and held her arms up in the air "I love two lies a truth! I played the game almost daily with my friends, but after a while, we couldn't remember any truths that were not completely obvious" she took a short break and her gaze swept across the water "Do you mind if I start?" She asked, but without waiting for an answer, she already began to enumerate facts.

"Well, first of all, I'm a huge fan of fireworks, secondly, a friend has kinda stabbed me in the eye once and, thirdly, I have a cat allergy, what's the truth?" She gave Calen a confident grin. Admittedly, the answer was more or less obvious, but nevertheless, she was very interested in what Calen would say and gave him an intense stare.

Hyperactive weirdo Kisha Miles  - Beacon First Year - Team INKK/Ink
Dragon tamer Mikado Drak - Beacon First Year - Team DASE/Days
Compulsive gamer Dawn Mae - Beacon Second Year - Team ----
Scaredy cat peacock Arcano Blar Baldwin - Beacon First Year - Team ----

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
’They weren’t always so friendly in the tales I was told.’ Calen responded with a cruel grin. ’The Queen of Air and Darkness whose fury and overwhelming power is made only crueller by the strict laws she must follow. Temptresses whose unfathomable beauty only matched by their hunger for flesh. Or simple murderers obeying unknowable signs and inflicting mass death with their strange powers. The horror of the unknown combined with barely contain maliciousness is what I think about when I hear the word Fae.’ Calen continued in his best dramatic storytelling voice. They were strangely pleasant memories, huddled around a campfire listening to increasing graphic stories of misfortune, cruelty and woe. It was terrifying but there was always the reassurance that protection from his family was all around him and no matter what came after him they would protect him. 'But phoenixes are cool, well hot I guess but yea. Birds are cool.' Calen continued his smile softening considerably, now looking quite content laying down with his eyes closed.

Calen was glad Kisha seemed to be enjoying herself, although he obviously couldn't see her flailing her arms around but could feel it through the boat and the intent was clear. Happy people are more careless meaning more likely to make mistakes and less likely to realise his own. Although Kisha has surprised him before. 'I think you are a fan of fireworks. Although, and I mean this as nicely as possible, I don't think I'd like to be around when you are setting them off.  Still not a big fan of surprises.' Calen explained. Going to a combat school did mean the eye stabbing wasn't impossible and most people are allergic to something but Kisha didn't seem to Calen like the kind of person who didn't like fireworks.

Regardless Calen went about his turn. 'I never attended a combat school, I only have brothers, I never left my home until I was 15?' Calen asked. The lie was Calen doesn't only have brothers and although isn't immediately obvious the gaunt boy does talk about his family often so it's not impossible Kisha simply knows that to be false.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »
Kisha's wide grin twisted in disgust as she heard Calen answer, "I. Hate. Fireworks." she said disgusted.

There is a part of her own weapon that has a fireworks-like function, it didn't change the fact that she hated the loud rockets though. Some of them did look nice but this weird feeling of discomfort whenever they were fired constantly came over her. "These things with their NNEEEEUUUU and WSHHIII when they go up to the sky is so... Gwaah!" she said, shaking herself as if she were freezing. "But I see why you think that. I manage to mislead most people with this." she started again, a slight grin returning to her face. People often take the most obvious answer and think that something like a firework, where it is loud and colorful, is something a cheerful person like Kisha would never miss. But it was also too obvious to be true. Oftentimes the obvious option is the wrong thing in such questions, but people know that, and that's exactly why it could be the right thing in the first place. These mind games can go on forever, but in the end, it is more a question of luck and how the person formulated the answers. It's generally just guessing.

"My friend once stabbed me in the eye. Well, above the eye, but it had hit the eye itself. Kinda." She pushed a few strands of hair aside and showed a small scar over her right eye. It wasn't long and it already half faded. "We were really young back then, maybe 7 or 8 years old, it happened when we played doctor and patient. I was the patient," she told him, unable to hold back a silly laugh. Good old times.

She frowned at Calen's facts. All three could be the lie. There were quite a few students who didn't attend combat school and were trained in other ways, so this didn't necessarily have to be a lie. Did he only have brothers? Did he even have siblings? They haven't talked much about their families, or she just had already forgotten that information. So maybe the last one? He isn't a fan of the unknown so it could well be that he never went out a lot and preferred to stay home. But something bothered her at the last fact, "I say the last one is a lie, that you never left your house before you turned 15."

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 04:16:40 AM »
’Truly? All about those new experiences but not fireworks, although I guess getting stabbed in the eye is a new experience but to clarify it’s not one I hope to experience. No scar though must have healed well and I hope they have gotten better at doctoring. Or you have gotten better at staying still as the patient.’ Calen joked. He was honestly surprised that it wasn’t fireworks but then again Calen knows more than anyone else that everyone has their complexes. Although the stabbing story sounded like there could be something more underneath but then again all sorts of crazy stuff happened with kids. Not that Calen had much of a childhood but it was what he had heard.

’It seems neither of us are particularly good at this game. I have plenty of sisters, four in total. My family have a large property, a lake, forest and a mansion almost the size half the size of Beacon. But they are overprotective, no combat school, no outside friends didn’t take a step outside until I was 15. Always thought I came across as a little bit sheltered but I suppose I should take it as a compliment you don’t think so.’ Calen responded happily, at least both Kisha and himself failed their first exchange. And last exchange it may seem as Kisha didn’t give another two lies and on truth.

By now Calen had been resting for long enough to have recovered some of his strength and stood up moving towards the mast to get control back over the boat. There wasn’t any immediate danger but in the same vein as his dislike of surprises, Calen always prefered to be in control. ’But I take it you aren’t the type to hold a grudge?’ Calen asked referring to the accident which left Kisha with a wound above her eye.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »
"Yeah, I mean, what are fireworks good for? A waste of dust, lien, time, and the animals go crazy with the noise, so do I. And with the eye I would- Hey, I'm an absolutely great Patient!" She interrupted herself in the middle of the sentence, "Generally this just happened because my friend wanted to be a Ninja during the operation and started swinging the stethoscope around. I... just thought it would be smart to get up in the exact same second. Yeah... you can imagine the rest."

Kisha was a little disappointed that she was wrong, but didn't let that spoil the mood. She admired and at the same time pitied Calen for his life. He never seems to need something, at least it seems that way but wasn't this life monotonous and lonely?

"A grudge? Why would you think that? Ohhh, no, no, not for a very long time at least. I remember a few cases where I didn't talk to someone for a day or two, but that's all in the past. Being angry is too much of an effort to be there for a long time, don't you agree?" she asked, but less to Calen and more to herself. Then she was silent, her eyes wandering over the water. "Do you want another round, or are we going to do something else? We don't necessarily have to lie to find out a little about each other, my interest has already been awakened enough. How is it to live with so many siblings? I never had any, but I wanted to always have a big sister or something like that."

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 07:29:10 AM »
’I saw someone take out a small Nevermore with a firework, it’s not much but its something. And I’m sure it’s only the truly great patients that end up in worse shape than when they first lay down on the operating table. Even a ninja doctor couldn’t keep you safe from yourself’ Calen continued to tease Kisha lightheartedly. The combination of Kisha’s earnestness, absentmindedness and seriousness made her an amusing target for such taunts although she had proven herself to be more than what the gaunt boy expected so he didn’t push too hard. ’Honestly I think people are too quick to give up on anger, it can be a powerful motivating force if you know how to control it but I agree in most cases it is a waste of energy. Cutting someone else off from your life can often feel like you are punishing yourself as much as them.’ Calen responded his expression darkening. Calen very much didn’t hold grudges for the same reason that Kisha mentions but he still hated and he still remembered. It might be a fine line fair play or retribution are never in Calen’s mind.

Luckily his sisters were a happier topic and only small hints of Calen previous dark mood hid in the corners of his smiling face. ’I have nine siblings and I’m the youngest by around seven years, the baby of the family and I can’t imagine life without them. We lived in a small town and were one of the families responsible for its defence so my parents were often out on patrol so they basically raised me. Although any flaws in my person are entirely my doing. In my experience, a big sister is like a mother who isn’t under as many obligations to keep you safe, least of all from themselves. It can end up being a bit rough and tumble when you are all training to be hunters but they are less of the imposing impossible challenges than older brothers are and instead try to eke out every little bit of potential you have. That doesn’t mean it was easy but I wouldn’t have traded it away for anything.’ Calen responded happily looking dreamingly off into the distance.

After a short pause Calen turned back to face Kisha. ’If you would like to go another round it is your turn but if you are simply curious about something, feel free to ask. I’ll promise I won’t lie … too much. Although likewise, I’m curious about being an only child. It must have been lonely at times?’ Calen asked cocking his head to the side as if the different perspective would give him a more detailed view on Kisha. It’s an odd habit that he had picked up from one of his brothers and only really served to make Calen look even more overconfident than he did already.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
"You- You- Tssk, I think you don't see what makes a truly great patient, patients want to be treated, and that's exactly what I achieved! Twice in one row, that requires skill!" Kisha countered, pushing her hair out of her face. The conversation, or the evening in general, had taken an interesting turn. After the day started boring, she never expected that it would end in her sitting in a boat with a more or less stranger talking about fairies and ninja Doctors. Anger seemed to be a topic that didn't really appeal to either of them, but Kisha started talking about it anyway, "I'm not saying that you should give on up your anger, as you said it can be helpful, most just don't know how to deal with it and let it gain the upper hand."

The change of subject to Calen's siblings was relieving. Immediately after he started talking, you could see Kisha's eyes widening in amazement, "Nine?" she asked in disbelief, "Wow, and then they are all older than you? How did you survive that? As I said, I never had any, but I knew some who did, and they always complained about how annoying it is." Kisha laughed heartedly, but stopped abruptly when she noticed something, "Wow, wow, wow, wait a minute, You all have been training to become a Hunter? Uhm, what was your last name again? I'm sure your family must be known or something!" At that point, Kisha's curiosity had taken full control, and the questions in her mind were building up more and more. His life sounded so interesting and she was so invested in finding out everything about it.

"Uhm, let's just leave out the lying. Being an only child is not as lonely as you think, because if you never had siblings, you don't know how it feels like not to have them around I guess.And I had friends to do stuff with me. It's something different than having nine siblings, but there are still some interesting stories to tell. Like the one with the eye, for example, and of course, there was that one time we got into this haunted house. Believe me, that was an event I'll never forget." She said and couldn't help but laugh aloud as she thought back to that time. "And when my friends weren't there, I usually helped my grandparents in their shop, so no, it was never really lonely." After she had finished, she was silent for a short while. It was her turn to ask a question, what would she want to ask? "Hm, okay, next question, tell me a little bit about... your weapon."

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 07:22:26 AM »
’Very technically you are right but most people don’t get up from the surgeon's table with more injuries than when they lie down. In a way that’s impressive, in another, it’s a little sad.’ Calen continued to tease Kisha about the whole situation with a wide smile on his face. He shrugged away Kisha’s comments about anger, they seemed to be on the same page about the whole thing and the only conflict was a misunderstanding. Furthermore, it didn’t seem like a topic that interested Kisha and there was plenty of other topics for them to deal with. On the more manipulative side, the more interested Kisha was the more likely she would overlook things and make the game he was playing more interesting.

’You know what they say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. It’s not really true, my knee has never quite recovered and some mornings it feels like I have between three to six hundred scars but it feels good. Have you ever set yourself a challenge that you can’t beat, no matter how hard you try you can’t lift that weight or run that distance or time? But after applying yourself, after pushing yourself and improving you accomplish it. That’s what having siblings is like, every one of them set a benchmark and every one of them helped push yourself through each obstacle so that after nine variations all of their wisdom and skill can be compressed into a single person.’ Calen responded aiming to give plenty of information so that Kisha didn’t notice that he didn’t respond to the question about his last name. It was something he was open about, using that openness as its own type of cover, even if people recognized his last name from the murders his family committed connecting a hunter-in-training to that. But that is what made it part of the game.

’Don’t get me wrong, the only thing I love more in this world than myself are my parents but we aren’t friends. Then again I’ve always been told I far too in love with other people’s opinion of myself so maybe I just needed siblings. I like to think we are all given our burdens to bare because we can carry them, different obstacles for different people with different experiences and different skills. I’m glad you weren’t lonely often though.’ Calen remarked. Calen had a strange relationship with loneliness, he had never been short of social relationships, even mostly positive ones, only the quality. Never letting people close to you tended to do that so although Calen would never call what he felt loneliness there was still definitely an emptiness inside of him which made him sympathetic.

’My weapons? Well I have a glaive that turns into a two handed sword and a brace of throwing knives. Not the most exciting combination of weapons but I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I never understood why people name their weapons and even if I did I could never think of a good one. I forged them myself with my mother and some of my sisters, there was a lot of ideas flown around and to be honest few were mine but eventually they decided what my weapon would look like. A weave of gold, red, yellow and oranges, some of my teammates have said it looks more like a piece of art. I’m starting to remember some of your Vytal Festival fights, you use a bow and blades right? How did you choose those?’ Calen answered. Calen cared greatly for his weapons on a mostly material level, his throwing knives were one of the few things he had left from his family so they meant a lot but the glaive was just a tool. ’What’s the best compliment you have ever received?’ Calen asked, responding with a question of his own.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Kisha gave him a slightly confused look. Knee? Did she miss something? As the question wandered through her mind, she missed almost half of what Calen had said. "Huh?" she squeaked as he came to an end. She only got half of the part with the hurdles and how they represent his siblings, so she stayed silent and focused for the rest, trying to get the most out of the individual features he will mention about him and his weapon.

"Interesting, interesting, sounds like you're quite a fan of blades, but now I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't name it. The weapon is one of your best and most important friends on the battlefield, so don't you wanna name it? I can help you if you want to! Let me think, red, orange, yellow and gold? Something blazing- and it's a sword. How about Sunburst?" she asked with an enthusiastic grin. She didn't really wait for an answer or approval from Calen and already began to blurt out other names, "Or Phoenix, or Dawnbreak, or Celestial, or-" she stopped before she threatened to go completely overboard. There was still time for that later. Quite literally.

"My weapon? Oh, that's easy, you see, my parents were Hunters and had those weapons. So my dad had a bow-blade mix. You should have seen that! It was a dual bladed scythe that he could extend and turn and it was awesome! And my mother had had those twin daggers-Katana that she had flung back and forth with Gravity Dust! She had bracelets with which she could always retrieve them and it was unbelievable!" During her narration, she wagged her hands wildly in the air to imitate some motions that she described. It probably looked quite questionable from the outside

Kisha's eyes gained a joyful sparked, which was all the more apparent combined with her big grin, "These weapons were so incredible and those few times when I saw them in action were so-so- breathtaking! I would have taken over all of their functions and forms, but that didn't work out so much. I really wanted to have a weapon that represents my parents', and after thinking about it a long time this came out. I've always liked bows and a sword was handy, Even though I would have loved to take the dual bladed scythe. There were some complications when I did Cocoa, part of was the transformation, but it worked and I wouldn't want to change it for anything. Well, I would have like to change or rather add some Dust features. The gravity feature my mother used sounded so great, but when I tried to make my bow a boomerang Hybrid... Let's just say, it's not for everyone. I decided to build the Dust in my arrows, but it's pretty limited how much I can infuse before the arrows get too heavy or unstable. I already have to make sure that when I reload I don't accidentally hit the arrowheads together and trigger the dust. But yeah, all in all, the reason for Cocoa are my parents. But to be honest, I wouldn't think of many other weapons I would have like to fight with."

Kisha leaned back and took a deep breath before continuing, "It would be sad if I couldn't remember any names but every compliment I've ever received," she said with a chuckle, "Hm, I can remember that somebody once said, 'You have such a positive charisma.' That was pretty nice."

Her eyes had once again turned to the water as she thought about a new question. Then a thought crossed her mind and she looked at Calen with a slightly sinister grin, "How about relationships? Did you had a girlfriend yet?"

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »
’I’m afraid I am going to have to be stubborn on this point Kisha, I do like swords as they are the weapons of kings but they are not my friends. A friend is someone you can share companionship with. Striving for each other's dreams and hopes as well as keeping at bay each other’s fears. A weapon doesn’t have any dreams, hopes or fears of its own, even if one could be friends with an inanimate object it wouldn’t make a particularly compelling one.’ Calen responded finding very little sense in Kisha’s words. A weapon is a tool, a valuable tool that should be maintained as much as possible but the moment it becomes more hindrance than benefit it should be discarded. ’Although I appreciate the array of names you have suggested, I particularly like Dawnbreak but I still don’t see the point. Heroes of Legend have their named blades but they are magical constructs with powers and sometimes minds far beyond their steel casing, my weapon is well made but it is simply not on that level.’ Calen shrugged, he was kind of used to arguing this point with a lot of other hunters-in-training and perhaps that means he should reexamine his position but that wouldn’t happen for a while with pride like Calen’s.

Were. Calen thought to himself, past tense and implying that Kisha’s parents were no longer Huntsmen. They could have retired but judging by Kisha’s age they wouldn’t be reaching retiree age for a while yet and Huntsman work is extremely deadly. Calen was willing to take the risk but thought to soften the blow somewhat, Kisha seemed to enjoy talking about her parent’s weapons maybe she would like to hear about his. ’My father never used a weapon, not when he wasn’t training one of us anyway. He instead had these rings that helped him channel his semblance each filled with a different kind of dust. I only saw him fight seriously once but I understand your awe, I couldn’t have imagined movements like those let alone attempting them. He would disarm a fighter and then while wielding their weapon far better than they could ever hope for he would end them. My mother preferred a simple spear, a few so some could be thrown. To me, the most engaging part of learning to fight is that there is always more to learn and that even in the most simple weapons there are infinite complexities... Your parent’s weapon’s sound impressive, I’m sure they were great Huntsmen and the world is poorer for their loss.’ Calen remarked with genuine sorrow in his voice, very likely his own family where dead or worse but at least Calen had hope, a false hope perhaps but hope nevertheless, and still their loss weighed on Calen so he struggled to imagine what Kisha must have to deal with every day.

After a slight pause, Calen continued. ’I’m sure it’s because you get so many compliments it’s hard to keep track of who gives you which ones. Although ‘positive charisma’ is definitely unique, can’t say that was ever said about me.’ While Kisha thought of her next question Calen made a quick loop around the boat to make sure nothing was coming loose, it didn’t look like they were in any danger whatsoever but it never hurt to be careful. ’Checking if there are any openings are you Kisha? Is it personal curiosity or general?’ Calen teased before inevitable answering Kisha’s question. ’I was… close to a girl when I first arrived in Beacon. We were both dancers and had performed a few duets together and…. Well…. Yea. Dancer’s don’t have a huge amount of free time with all the early mornings and strict diets are helpful in courting others with less controlled lives. It was nice while it lasted. Her name is Briannan if you are curious.’ Calen answered with no small amount of awkwardness, not because he was embarrassed by his past relationships more because the specifics of the questions meant that there was a possibility for confusion in the future. As fun as it was to string someone along with a hopeless romance, it could very well get tedious if Calen had to explain to everyone that he didn’t like girls in that way. Calen responded with his own question quickly after answering his own. ’Keeping on the topic of romance, what would you name your firstborn child?’ Calen asked.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 01:57:59 AM »
Kisha crossed her arms over her chest. She accepted that Calen didn't share her views, but she didn't like the reason why he's not. One should see the weapon as a friend. You don't have to love your weapon, but a certain fondness needs to be there. But different people have different opinions. However, she still felt the need to comment on his last statement, "Hunter are also heroes and their named weapons are not necessarily magical, they can only act with their owner and the only magic-like power would be Dust."

Rings that help with your Semblance? Even though Kisha's imagination of it is most likely not accurate, the idea of fighting like this was very fascinating. The spear sounded interesting too though. Even though these weapons sounded simpler than those of her parents, she was still interested in them. After all, a good weapon does not come from the modifications, but from how and who uses them. She was relieved that Calen didn't digged deeper in the whole 'dead parents' topic. She hadn't tried to hide it and even if he asked, she would have no problem with answering to anything. It is a sad reminder that she is confronted with again and again, but she didn't necessarily feel sad when she talked to others about it. On the contrary, it even gave her a sense of relief. "But your parents don't sound too bad either. That reminds me, you still haven't told me your family name, I don't want to force you to tell me, but I can't help that I can't think of any known Huntsman with your description. I don't know every halfway known hunter, but you said your complete family are hunters. It's just weird that I never heard of anything like this before" Kisha said, tilting her head as she went through the information Calen revealed to her. Something as unusual as fighting with the rings would have to be somewhere in the big information-rich the internet, right? Apparently, she just hadn't found it yet.

A somewhat-scornful grin scurried across her face at Calen's next remark, "I didn't get that many compliments. Surely you've already received one or two positive comments yourself." After lying most of the conversation flat on her back, on the still damp floor of the boat, she sat up and stared directly at Calen, "Nope, don't worry, love is still a long way coming."

"Well, the name doesn't ring a bell and I'm sorry that it didn't work out, but don't give up hope yet, you'll find someone someday," Kisha said with an exhilarating tone and went straight to answering the next question. "To name a child I would first need one. To be honest, I don't plan to ever become a mother, at least not a biological one. I don't know why, but I like something about the idea of adopting a child. Why give birth to someone when there are enough kids out there who need a loving family way more? All I have to do is think of the oodles of children who have lost their parents through some cruel event, or been taken away from them by other reasons. They deserve a second chance much more than an unborn child which can't complain. But to come back to the question, my first choice would be on Amaris. I once read this name in a book- comic book and found it very beautiful. In this story, a piece of the moon has fallen to earth and the main character, Amaris, finds the stone and that leads to a huge adventure later on." Towards the end, her voice got quieter as she was slightly embarrassed by the story of the comic. It was a very cliché-rich story with flat humor and a story in which the characters eventually all get those magical powers. "And for a boy... Hm, I never really thought about it... Let me think for a minute... I like the name Lyon, but Ace sounds good too."Shortly after she gave her answer, she came up with the next question, "What's your opinion on the current Faunus situation, and how do you feel about Faunus in general?"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:45:37 AM by DEXES »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »
Dust isn’t magic. Calen thought to himself as he tried in vain to point out an issue with Kisha’s logic. In reality, there wasn’t one and Calen was simply trying to justify one of his many complexes and impose his world view on others. At least in the former Kisha seemed to let Calen continue his rather boneheaded conviction and as a mutual show of acceptance, the gaunt boy commented. ’It seems we will have to agree to disagree, it’s too nice a night to get into anything heated.’ It wasn’t a sentiment that Calen would normally support but it got him out of the situation and he was right about the second thing. The gentle rocking of the boat as the water lapped against the boat was the only noise from the outside world and stars which had now fully come out in force began to light up the night sky around them.

’Thank you Kisha and you were right, Mr and Mrs Shrike, they might have slipped under the radar a bit. None of them, my siblings included and myself I supposed was planned not to, attend the combat academies and instead we where all meant to train and take the huntsman exam on our own. It means there aren’t any Vytal festival performances from when they where all students or profiles about up and coming Hunters and Huntresses, they were in the thick of it from the beginning and you can hardly expect the newspapers to keep up with every Grimm or bandit skirmish.An imposing task so in some ways, I’m happy that events unfolded in the way the did which meant I had to go to Beacon but being gone from them doesn’t get easier.’ Calen responded keeping a neutral tone. It was clear something had attracted Kisha’s interest and the last thing he wanted was for her to be curious, curious people want answers. As such Calen tried to give some half-truth responses, nothing he said was a lie, in the hope that Kisha would lose interest, as despite what Calen said there was definitely plenty written about the Shrike family.

’Or maybe it’s the maid life for both of us, we are both getting on and Hunters and Huntresses don’t always live too long. Adoption is a nice compromise and that way you don’t have to go through the whole birth thing seems like a bit of a mess to me.’ Calen joked trying to inject so levity into the situation after all the talk about murdered parents. ’But those names are nice and who knows, you could always give them to your pets if they aren’t being used for anything else. Amaris sounds like a great name for a cat.’ Calen continued his half-good natured teasing, smiling widely although it dropped when he heard Kisha’s question. Opening his mouth but stopping himself before uttering a word a few times but finally, Calen managed to choose an approach to the question. ’Love then politics, always the big questions but OK.’ Calen began.

’I think the Faunus are right to be angry at the way they have been treated throughout history, not only in the past as slaves but still to this day as disposable workers labouring away at Atlas’s mines. Honestly, I can’t imagine a worse fate; miles underground, the air thick with dust and the smells of exertion, the cries of pain and the sense of fear whenever an overseer walks past which is to say nothing of if the ground starts shaking. I understand that could, and I believe it should drive more, to violently oppose the system that oppresses them which is a system we all participate in. But not many Faunus agree, or if they do they are focused instead on building a stable life for them and their families. A noble goal, perhaps the noblest but I find it hard to have sympathy for people who are willing to endure such injustice. Abuse does funny things to the mind, makes you accepting of things you would have never accepted before and I understand that logically but it doesn’t change how I feel.’ Calen responds in a soft emotional tone hoping to soften the bluntness of his views or at least the ones he felt like sharing. ’Turn about seems fair play, what is your opinion on the current human situation, and how do you feel about humans in general?’ Calen asked in some way as a joke but in another to make a point. Very often the issue is focused on the Faunus because they are the ones being impacted rather than the Humans who are doing the impacting.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »
Shrike? The name sounded uncomfortably familiar to her. She must have read something about it, but the memory was blurry. All she could remember was that it was bad. But Calen doesn't seem to be a bad person, on the contrary, even. So his family couldn't be all that bad, right? Kisha decided to leave the topic at that.

"Well, you don't have to be concerned about the 'birth thing', but yes, that's one of the reasons I prefer adopting," she said with a soft grin, "but I don't have to worry about that now. I don't plan on suddenly show up with a kid in the classroom, though, now that I think about it, I'd like to see Professor Nox's face when I do." And that changed her grin again to a loud laugh. The image alone was hilarious, no matter how unlikely it was. Maybe it was that funny because it was so unlikely to happen. It took a while until she caught herself again and rubbed a laugh-tear from the eye. "Well, I always wanted to have a pet, but I think I'm more of a dog person. However, I think pets are not allowed on the campus, even though I've already seen a bear walking around here."

Calen's inaudible muttering earned him a confused and slightly worried look, but since he seemed to have snapped out of it, Kisha decided not to ask. For now, that is. She agreed with a nod at Calen's statements. It was always nice to meet someone with the same views. Especially on such a sensitive topic.
"Tit for tat, huh?" Well then. The current human situation... how should I phrase it? Needs some improvement. It has already gotten better in the last few years, at least in some places of Remnant, but there are still too many humans putting others down just because they are different. I did a lot of sightseeing back in Atlas during the Vital Festival. Anyway. In any case, you already notice at the atmosphere that something is wrong. I met there with a Faunus friend of mine... Let's say it like this, For Humans, people behave very inhumane. There are just as many human criminals as there are Faunus criminals. I even heard there is a person going around, giving firearms to people. Just obnoxious. Sometimes I can advocate the actions of White Fang. Not that I want to endorse the terrorist attacks. It's just that they didn't turn out like this on their own. The white fang were the peaceful ones, not us. And still, we blame all on them as soon as they attack a 'no Faunus allowed' Café. We humans should start to accept the Faunus as they are. There are bad ones too, yes, but most of them are only misunderstood and led astray."

As she finished she leaned back and looked up at the sky. There was one more thing she wanted to do. Kisha stood up again and took off her coat. "It's getting late, maybe we should turn back soon." She looked at the shore where they started. They were pretty far away and it would take quite some time before they came back. Well, here was the best time and place. The water under the boat was calm and nicely reflected the starlight. Perfect. Kisha turned her back to the water and looked at Calen with another grin, "I'm definitely sick tomorrow!"

All that was heard after was a loud splash as she let herself fall backwards into the water. The boat wobbled with the unruly movement it needed to get into the water, but the wobbling stopped soon. After a short while, Kisha stuck her head out of the water and looked up giggling, "Prrrrr, Okay, colder than expected." She slowly began to swim around the boat to heat her body a bit, "Otherwise it's great! No regrets!"

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 06:57:08 AM »
Calen was happy that conversation seemed to be moving away from his family, the truth would have to come out eventually but for now, Calen was happy to live in the relative freedom of his past. 'Still might have to cut the umbilical cord, never dealt well with the sight of blood and they wouldn't even have the decency to doll me up with painkillers.' Calen joked smiling widely at the ridiculousness of it all. 'I’m sure it can’t hurt to ask for permission to bring a pet to your dorms, pretend it’s a guide dog or something and if you think Nox’s face would be funny with a baby, what about having one of those purse-sized dogs just sitting in your bag.’ Calen continued joking as he raised an eyebrow at the mention of a bear on campus. Because Calen didn’t use dust he never had a reason to visit Waffles and his dust shop so the entire concept was foreign to him.

The gaunt boy was silent for a while after Kisha had finished her answer about what should be done about how she felt about humans in general. It was an interesting response, not one that Calen fully agreed with but he could see where she was coming from which is more than he could for most people. He was about to respond before Kisha began stripping down and jumped out of the boat. Almost subconsciously Calen’s hand moved to the buttons on his jacket as if to join her, there was something in Kisha’s carefree nature that was influencing him, drawing him in. Infecting him Calen may have thought if his mind was clearer but all the laughter and starlight had made Calen lose himself a bit in the wonder of it all. Stripping down to his dress pants Calen dove into the water after Kisha, plunging deep below before finally coming up for air.

The dark did a good job of hiding Calen’s scars but the moon/starlight was enough to see each other by as such Kisha could rather easily make out the odd texture of Calen’s skin. Calen, on the other hand, wasn’t terribly thrilled about his choices at that moment and as Kisha started to swim around the boat Calen simply floated grumpy as he drifted further and further away from the moving boat. If the water was cold for Kisha it was positively icy for Calen’s emaciated bones and it was difficult for the gaunt boy to keep is breathing steady but eventually, he succeeded and could continue on with the at least pretence of composure. 'I really wish you warned me about how cold the water was before you jumped in, you may have no regrets but I can positively feel myself turning blue.’ Calen remarked as he finally started moving, using his semblance to help catch up to Kisha and the boat.

'It is beautiful out though.’ Calen murmured dreamily. 'I’m glad you managed to convince me to come out with you Kisha, although it has likely ended with both of us catching a cold and me not catching any fish I like to think I have caught something more special.’ Calen continued, his teeth chattering as the cold still soaked into his bones. Both Kisha and Calen had movement based semblances so the later wasn’t worried about the boat slipping away out from under them so he was content to drift alongside the boat on his back staring up at the sky. Now his body had mostly gotten numb to the cold, not a good sign medically but it did make the experience more comfortable, Calen wasn’t in as much rush to get out. 'You should swing by later, I think we will both need a couple warm bowls of soup after this.’ Calen added as he gazed up at the stars.