Author Topic: The Forest for the Trees [CLOSED][ASPN Initiation]  (Read 31225 times)

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
The Forest for the Trees [CLOSED][ASPN Initiation]
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
((General posting order will depend on the order we all make our initial posts, and won't be broken unless I choose to interject with an environmental action (e.g. a noise heard or a Grimm attack) or NPC action. Be mindful of time in general, but at the start you may feel free to arrive earlier than I did and describe the scene then. I figured Persimmon would naturally arrive late.))

The comfortable atmosphere on the day of Beacon's first-year initiations seemed almost too perfect to be random chance. It was cool but not too cold, with a delightful breeze always blowing. Students had been gathering on Beacon cliff since the moment the sun first started peeking over the deep green trees of the Emerald Forest, and by mid-morning quite the robust crowd had formed. Notably absent from this crowd was Persimmon Burhan, who despite making quite a scene earlier, didn't seem interested in showing up now.

An official-looking huntsman stood calmly at the front of the crowd, observing them. His arrival had preceded even some of the earliest of student arrivals, and most assumed he was to be their instructor. Just as the event was scheduled to begin, a meek, frazzled little woman scrambled through the sea of students. Her face, clothes, and tail all showed the signs one would expect of someone in a major hurry, but what else could be expected of a Home Economics teacher suddenly asked to run a Beacon initiation?

She regained her composure somewhat before trying to address the students. While everyone could see she was clearly trying to get their attention, very few actually gave it to her. Eventually, she gave up on trying to talk over the students and allowed her megaphone to do it for her.

((Professor dialogue provided by Uncouth T-Rex in the HTDG initiation thread. These are neither my original writings nor my original characters.))

"Attention, lads and lasses!" her tiny voice boomed out, bolstered by the megaphone. "I hope you're all doin' well this mornin'! My name is Miss Siobhan Clannad, an' I'm your Personal Finance an' Home Economics Professor here at Beacon! Now, we all know why we're here, so if ye'd be so kind as ta call off your names so Mr. Rosenrot here can count ye, that'd be grand!"

As the crowd began to respond, there was some initial confusion as people didn't bother taking turns and tried yelling louder than everyone else. A quick, curt, "One at a time, if ye don't mind!" from Siobhan fixed that. By the end of roll call, everyone was accounted for, including a hooded Persimmon who had practically materialized out of nowhere into the crowd moments earlier. Can't cut it much closer than that. I'll have to reward myself later! He had successfully minimized his time in the sun and now longingly awaited his chance to drop below the dense canopy of the forest.

"Alright, it looks like that's everyone," Professor Clannad boomed over the megaphone. "Today is your Initiation. Behind me is the Emerald Forest, and it's chock full o' Grimm. If ye aren't careful, Mr. Rosenrot here is goin' ta be carryin' ye out like a sack o' potatoes, an' nobody here wants that, least of all me. Please do be careful! I don't want none o' ye gettin' hurt down there!

"Now, the point o' the thing is this: on the other end o' the valley is an old ruin from days gone by. Ye all are ta get yourselves there, find yourselves an ancient knick-knack, and get yourselves safely back here with it. We'll be watchin' ye the whole time, takin' notes on what ye can do and how ye work with one another. Keep in mind, the first person ye run into is goin' ta be your partner for the next four years o' your life. After all's said and done, the Headmaster and the Staff will be decidin' who forms teams with who based on what ye do today." She paused for a moment, letting that sink in. The whole thing seemed awfully intimidating to her, but she kept any trembling out of her voice. Mr. Rosenrot could take care of it if there was a problem, right?

"Now go on an' everyone of ye set yourselves on the metal plates. Ye will need ta find out how ta land on your own! An' please, do be careful!"

Persimmon took his place on a pad near the leftmost end, knowing the line to begin would probably start there. He had a pretty good idea of what was probably going to happen, and considered his landing strategy briefly. There really weren't many options for him, though; he wasn't very durable and his rifle wouldn't be much help, so that only left natural agility and careful use of dust. The latter was a bit noisy for his tastes, so he easily narrowed it down. The plan was in place, now he just waited to execute it.
1st Year Beacon Students: ShowHide
Hagane Inaba- Can melt steel beams. Leader of team HTDG
Mint Fresch- A chipper gale.
Persimmon Burhan- A douche.
Carnation Prescott- Get it, CAREa? Sorry.
Lissa Lime- Beacon's spinning top
Jacob Stillwater- Nailed it

Literally everyone else: ShowHide
Patchouli Breschi- First year at Shade. Don't let her penetrate you.
Diamante Solar- Third Year at Beacon. Feel the Light of the Holy Noodle!
Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.
Crystal Evermore- Aura professor at Beacon Academy.

Now introducing my AMCA, complete with apathy!

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest for the Trees [CLOSED][ASPN Initiation]
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
Noctis felt a wave of adrenalin hit as he stood on one of the launch platforms. He took the one closest to the faunus- he really needs to remeber his name, who snagged his gun. Noctis rubbed the back of his neck nervously. He wasn't being very nice to anyone since he arrived in the locker room. If his sister was here she would smack him for his lack of care and anti social behavior.

"Hey um, sorry about earlier," Noct said to Persimmon. "I'm just home sick is all. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

Noctis Quartz#8E44AD - 1st yr Beacon student, Medic of Team ASPN "This might hurt...a lot. So don't cry"

Vidalia Umbra#FBF9AB- 1st yr Shade Academy student, Overactive child of Team VLPS "Maybe you can give me a cupcake."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    No such thing as too much enthusiasm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
Sherwood had stood at attention while the professors spoke to the crowd. He had arrived early enough to be up front, and while he couldn't help making a face at the woman doing the instruction, he knew anyone Beacon hired must have quite the reputation. Even if it's a bit hard to tell. The other Huntsman looked impressive. Sherwood could tell he had quite a bit of growing to do to fit into those shoes.

Breaking off right as the instructors finished their speech, Sherwood grabbed one of the first plates. He wasn't exactly sure what the point of the plate was. But ceremony is important in Huntsman tradition, so he'd been told. He was sure he'd see the point as it came around. Next to him came, funnily enough as coincidences go, the fox faunus from the locker rooms. When Persimmon turned in his direction, Sherwood gave a small nod of acknowledgement. He didn't think that conversation would mean much. The fox seemed to enjoy talking in circles before, and Sherwood had to pay attention. He had to pay attention if he was going to figure out the symbolism in the panels.
First year @ Beacon: Sherwood Cathasaigh - Leader of Team ASPN

First year @ Shade: Sona Aurelia - Member of Team VLPS

Head of Archaeology @ Shade Academy:  Dr. Richard Pelle - Graduate of Team RALE

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:12:20 AM »
When the professors were down with their speech, Argent made his way to the pad closest to him, which was near the left. Near him were the three he had been talking to earlier; Sherwood,Noctis and Persimmon. He tapped his foot continually on the launch pad whilst he took Silber Brecher into his hands, ready for it to transform.

Argent looked into the wave of green trees bellow him, wondering where and how he would land. Argent smirked when he thought of a plan and lightly brushed the hair that was slightly covering his eye. He had remembered the day when he was in Signal, and heard of the emerald forest for the first time. Back then , Argent thought it crazy, but now that he was there he was feeling better than ever. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:02:04 PM by CptSteel »

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »
Persimmon looked at Noctis, bewildered. "Uh, yeah, okay... Now's not really the time for-" He was launched into the air. Thanks to the distraction, he ended up being unprepared for the launch and looked like a fool as he flew. Was this your plan to get me back for making a scene earlier? Well played, kid...

Regardless, he righted himself quickly enough. He did nothing as his descent took him closer and closer to the canopy of trees. When finally he was at the level of the treetops, he took action. Pushing off of a sturdy branch with his foot, Persimmon simply hopped and leaped his way around until he was able to slow down and stop. Since he was by now quite a long way ahead of the other students, Persimmon casually sat down in a tree and waited for someone to walk by.

Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »
Noctis began to sniker like a child upon seeing Persimmon be lanuched into the air. As quickly it came it disappeared when he realized he was next. The launch pad tossed him into the air like a rag doll. He pulled out Divine so he wouldn't look like he was completely un prepared- which he was because who the hell throws students like this? It didn't matter now, Noctis need to focus on not eatting dirt or hitting a tree.

Noctis used his beloved blade to cut away branches before he hit the ground. Ugh, super hero landing always do a tole on your knees. It was too early to use his semblance to heal himself, so for now he would just deal with it. Divine was back in its place on his hip to be replaced with his same copper pink gun from the locker room. Being left handed bites sometimes.
Noctis Quartz#8E44AD - 1st yr Beacon student, Medic of Team ASPN "This might hurt...a lot. So don't cry"

Vidalia Umbra#FBF9AB- 1st yr Shade Academy student, Overactive child of Team VLPS "Maybe you can give me a cupcake."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
Sherwood had his eyes on the professors, waiting for them to start explaining the history, or symbolism, or anything about this plates. As a generally passive man, it bothered him how much it bothered him he didn't know a thing about this plates. Still staring at them, Sherwood begins to tap his foot. As soon as he does, the plate springs up, launching him into the woods.

"Oh." he says, already thankful he had his bow readied. Always be ready for a shot, his father would say. He nocks an arrow, and his expression hardens with focus. He pulls the string back, trying to keep his form steady while falling, at a decent speed. He felt very little resistance as he pulls the string back. He didn't have the weight of the bow on maximum, not even half that. For good reason, as his idea wouldn't work if he put a crater into the forest floor. The plan relied on...

"That tree." Sherwood found a fairly large tree with the base of it's trunk exposed through the canopy. He angles for it, and looses his iron arrow at the base on the tree. It flies with incredible force, far faster than the force of a mere bullet. The arrow nails into the tree, flying straight through the large trunk. The shock wave that reverberates through the tree destroys most the trunk around the arrow as well, only a inch of bark remained on the far side of the tree. The shock wave continues on as sound, the cracking sound echoing throughout the whole forest.

Needless to say, the tree started to fall. Sherwood braces himself, hitting the tree feet first. He rides with it's momentum as it fell, softening the momentum of his fall. He 'surfs' the tree down, rolling off it as it crashed to the floor.

Sherwood picks himself up, and rolls his neck. He walks the length of the tree to the retrieve his arrow. He then starts walking in the direction the tree fell in, hoping it points generally opposite the cliff he was launched from, towards the item that would officially make him a Beacon student. He unconsciously sinks into his habits as a hunter. His foot falls make almost no sound, his eyes are ever watchful, and his bow is at the ready. His ears tune to the forest, though unlike his time hunting, he doesn't listen for the sound of squawking birds or foxes running through the brush. He listens for the sound of Grimm, the sound of the hunters of men.

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
"Now it begins!" The faunus said, excitedly, as he saw those to his left begin flying toward the forest. Just before he launched into the air himself, Argent pressed the button on the side of Silber Brecher; transforming it into its hammer form. Argent looked down to see the pad launching him up into the skies.

He chuckles, watching the other students fly to his left and right, but Argent soon turns his head toward the forest that was getting bigger and bigger in his vision. Now! The tall faunus pressed the trigger on his weapon which quickly sent a purple coloured gravity-dust explosion from the head of the hammer. This evened out with the rate he was falling, sending him basically on a horizontal line for a short time period.

Argent then used his hammer to slow down his fall, by sticking it out to his side - hitting a tree, breaking the top of it completely, but slowing him down nonetheless. He slid down the tree for a decent look out point. Now, he was standing on a tree branch looking down to see if there was anyone nearby. Surely they would have seen part of a tree crashing to the ground.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:14:10 PM by CptSteel »

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »
Persimmon sat and listened to the sounds of the forest... birds chirping, water flowing, wind blowing... trees collapsing? He chuckled. Some of the less elegant students must be making their landings. In the distance, he saw one of those students surfing down on a tree trunk. The boy (who he now recognized as the same archer from that morning) got off and started walking towards him.

As Sherwood walked past the tree he was in, Persimmon pulled down his hood, dropped silently behind him, and tapped his shoulder. "Hey buddy, guess who?" He allowed Sherwood the opportunity to turn around before extending his hand. "Looks like we'll be partners. I'm sure you're thrilled." He gave a smug grin.

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »
Noctis was already bored from walking around so he did the smartest thing possible. The white haired male began to call around to see if anyone would hear him. He really hoped a grim wouldn't come and find him rather than another student.

"Hellooooo," He called. "Please don't be a grim or I'll have to kick your ass!"

The sound of a falling tree caught his attention because said tree was about to fall on him. Wearing a face of I-don't-have-time-for-this, Noctis shot at the branch with his other gun containing his gravity dust bullets to stop the tree top from crushing him.

"I get it, I'm short, but this is beyond insulting." Noctis said to himself thinking he was alone. Then he looked up.

"Hey looks like you're stuck with me," Noctis said waving with his gun in hand.

At least it was someone he recognized, it was the tall elephant faunus from the locker room. Noct remembered the tusks.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
Sherwood stayed crouched and and readied, and turns his head to the faunus. His eyebrow rises in confusion, though his eyes twinkle with amusement. Sherwood had heard someone up in the tree on his way past, he'd have been a poor hunter if he didn't notice something that close. What confused him was that the boy had come down. Sherwood had seen a bit of orange in the trees, and while he couldn't be sure it was Persimmon (Huntsman have an odd tendency towards noticeably colorful clothes) he had thought of the fox faunus at first. Given the boy's attitude to him in the locker rooms, Sherwood figured the fox would take advantage of the 'eyes meet' part of the instructions to avoid joining up with him.

Sherwood took a breath, clearing his assumptions and thoughts on his Partner. They were on the job, and that's all that mattered for the moment. "Ah'm not disappointed. You should have your weapon at the ready though, we are in hostile territory. Shall we?" Sherwood nods towards the direction the ruins are in. He goes to continue walking, but seems to pause. "Should be a good couple of years, partner." Sherwood starts walking, focus returning to the environment around him, now including one fox faunus.

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »
The faunus waved back at Noctis, and jumped down. "Ow..Well, you and me for the next few years?" Argent smiled at the white haired boy. At least he didn't get Persimmon. He rested his hammer over his shoulder and leaned his side on the tree.

"I guess we should get going, eh? I can imagine the creatures of Grimm are lurking nearby in such a mysterious forest." The faunus stood up straight and stretched, turning around to hear the opinion of his new partner on the subject.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
Despite what he said, Persimmon noticed that Sherwood seemed wary of him. "Worried I'll swipe something? Don't worry, we're partners in crime now." He grinned at Sherwood. "Tight as two peas in a pod, we are.

"That said, can I see your scroll for a second? I've got a nifty little tool that could really help us out if we get into trouble."
He pulled out the Eye and showed it to Sherwood. Admittedly, he didn't expect the kid to trust him, but he needed to get the uplink set up eventually. Maybe if he set it up with Sherwood now, it would be easier to explain to his team later.

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
When Argent jumped down Noctis felt like such a shrimp. He was so much smaller that the faunus. So this is what this feels like? He thought to himself.  Well Argent seemed like a pretty decent guy, lets just hope he could deal with Noctis.  The white haired male smiled hearing the partner comment fly by.

"Yep, I hope we can get along great," spoke Noct, holstering his guns.

Then came the idea to get going. It would probably be best if he let Argent lead since Noct didn't know anything about Vale or its forests.

"Yeah. You can lead. Vale is forgein to me."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »
Sherwood stops, and does a slow sweep left to right of the tree line. Satisfied they weren't about to get jumped by Grimm, he says "Ah'm not worried. Beacon is an academy for the best of the best, and ah know they know who they accept. If they saw fit to trust ya, I see no reason not to myself. Ah'm just interested in takin the mission seriously right now. Ah did not come all this way to get killed by a Grimm on initiation day."

Sherwood looks at the Eye of the Faunus Persimmon has with interest. Certainly a useful tool, for watching a perimeter or even long distance aiming. After seeing it, Sherwood pulled his scroll out. He handed it to Persimmon, who can't miss the fact that the scroll is barely setup. Sherwood only setup his identity on the scroll, as well the aura monitor. Even the ugly default background is still on the device.