Author Topic: Illumination and Concealment [Open, Limited 4/5]  (Read 9537 times)

TheKaru

• View Profile
Re: Illumination and Concealment [Open, Limited 3/5]
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »
So he was a dancer? An actor? That definitely did explain the extravagance of his outfit... it was still a bit weird to Gram that he had decided to go out in that dress but, admittedly, he wasn't at all familiar with any sort of theater habits. Perhaps some weird sort of ritual.
He internally cringed a little as Calen made himself comfortable between the two of them but deckded to do his best to try and be sociable. "I'm not too fond of uh... this. I'm more of a sit at home person... I've come here to meet up with a friend but they couldn't make it so now I'm getting drunk, talking to strangers it seems..." He shrugged, picked up his drink and silently toasted towards the two others before taking a long sip. He definitely didn't show off his best sides but he was annoyed by the development of the evening, his teammates were out abd he had nothing better to fo than drown his anxiety in alcohol.
Expectantly, he looked at the other two, curious about their intentions.
Gram MacConkey 2nd Year Beacon Student and biohazard of Team ALGA

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 02:56:29 AM »
So it's some sort of stage outfit, then?  Well, that explains one mystery at least.  Lucas isn't really familiar with any thespian traditions, especially not foreign ones, so he doesn't really question that particular part of Calen's explanation.  Still, there's a few holes in his story that could lead to potentially interesting implications if followed.  For instance, even though he just finished his last performance, why aren't other cast members with him?  Even if they couldn't party as hard, one would think they'd want to celebrate their final performance together, right?  Not to mention...

"Isn't the final performance a big deal, though?  What's going on that you have to miss it?" Lucas asks casually as Calen sits down between him and Gram.  Now that he was up close, Lucas took a moment to examine the newcomer's appearance with greater scrutiny.  From afar, even despite his flashy outfit, Calen looked thin, but calling him that would be an understatement:  the guy was down right skeletal!  Did he have some sort of eating disorder?  Did he need to lose weight for his role?  Whatever the reason, his emaciated appearance only served to give Calen a creepy vibe that was hard to shake.  That being said, Lucas has a very good poker face and doesn't let any of his thoughts show through his expression.

In the meantime, Lucas inwardly smirks at Gram's response.  As a fellow "sit at home" kind of guy, the Hermit can definitely relate to Gram's predicament.  If Lucas wasn't currently busying himself with being a nosy older brother, he might've been able to commiserate.  As it is, though, Lucas makes a mental note that Gram was indeed trying to meet someone, then continues his current act and comments, "So your date did cancel on you.  Tough luck."

"Anyways," he continues, shifting his position to better address both of them, "Like I was telling Gram here, I'm from Mistral and I'm here in Vale for a bit of business.  An acquaintance of mine told me this place was good for a quiet drink, so I figured I'd come down and check it out."  Lucas stops for minute and looks out to the rest of the bar.  "Though, if you ask me, it's a bit too crowded for my taste.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:17:34 AM »
'The final performance is a big deal financially because it has had all the buildup around it sure but luckily there are no superstitions around it. There is enough to juggle around avoiding peacock feathers,  the colour blue, only accepting gifts after the performance and sleeping with the script under your pillow that changing long-established plans would drive me nuts. So my fellow performers don't care and by this stage, the suits have gotten all the money they would get out of the performance so although they don't like it but they also don't really care that much. My understudy is also pretty good as much as it hurts me to admit.' Calen responded not answering the second part of Lucas's the question. The reality is that Calen and his team had a mission they had been assigned and try as he might Calen couldn't weasel his way out of the assignment. Revealing that would obviously out him as being a Huntsman-in-training which he was initially planning on hiding but it also didn't seem like he was getting much benefit out of doing so. This didn't look like a bandit bar, although Calen conceded that could make it a very good bandit bar, it wouldn't make much sense for Calen for a bandit to recommend a non-bandit bar which significantly lessened the chances that Lucas was a bandit much to Calen's disappointment. Also because Gram seemed considerably off balance already the extra hidden punch would be pretty wasted, if anything sharing a place at Beacon might help Gram open up so Calen could stab him in the back later.

'Oh and like Master Gram, I'm a Beacon student, team ASTC, and we have a mission somewhere between Vale and Vacuo. Some company feels like their might still be important information left behind which is worth salvaging. We have a little bit of experience with the company and it's not expected to be that dangerous but we will be gone for a while.' Calen explained deciding to be a little upfront might help him sneak other things by unnoticed. 'Although I must say Master Lantern I don't think I have a monopoly on strange accessories, what's with your namesake? That large lantern on your belt, I prefer a flashlight but it does make you stand out, not that I obviously have anything against that obviously.' Calen asked continuing to play along with the moniker that Lucas has chosen.

'I'm sure they had a good reason and we don't have to be strangers for long.' Calen began feigning benevolence. 'Although you might not believe it I used to have difficulty interacting in social situations as well, I always find it easiest to talk about something you are comfortable with. So how about you try that, what is something you like talking about, something you could talk about for hours. Please don't of course but I couldn't exactly criticise you for being verbose. Calen finished giving as sympathetic a smile as his gaunt face was capable of.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:24:42 AM by Kingnoname1 »
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

TheKaru

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »
Gram looked at Calen, not exactly suspiciously but wary. "I uh... I don't think I ever talked for hours about anything but I enjoy sciences, biology and a bit of arts, I guess?" He shrugged and looked around. He really didn't have many hobbies anyone would find interesting, he assumed, and it wasn't like they were actually in any form relevant. To be perfectly honest, he didn't trust Calen and wasn't keen on building up a friendship with him from what he had learned so far. There just was something about him that was absolutely offputting.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 12:56:11 AM »
Lucas swirls the ice in his otherwise empty glass as Calen expounds upon the superstitions of theater life.  He does note that, although Calen seems perfectly content to explain why missing his show's final performance won't be much trouble, the young man seems initially reluctant to expound on why he's missing it in the first place.  He does reveal his status as a Beacon student eventually, even naming his team, but Lucas is left wondering why he didn't lead with that?  Maybe Calen's struggling in school?  That's not actually too hard to imagine if he makes a habit of parading about town in flashy outfits and hitting up bars.

That being said, a huntsman mission is a valid reason to miss a show, and its very unlikely Calen's lying about attending Beacon.  It's hard to fake the skills and abilities of huntsmen-in-training.  That being said, Lucas decides against letting Calen know about Clara.  The guy's a bit too shady.  Gram's shady, too, but he seems to be the type to want to keep people out of his business while Calen seems to want to drag everyone in

And the Hermit is no exception, as Calen brings the conversation to the multi-colored contraption attached to Lucas's hip.  Glancing at Sophist's Lantern, he detaches it form his waist and gently sets it on the counter, though its weight is evident by the deep thud it makes when it makes contact.  "This thing?" Lucas asks casually before continuing, "It only just looks like a lantern.  Each of those 'windows' is actually a container for a different kind of dust, see?"  He points to one of the lantern's windows, and if the two look closely they'll see the particles of dust stored within.  And there's a lot of dust.  There are eight windows in total, and each of them save for one is packed full with a different color.  The last window seems to be blacked out, hiding whatever is stored within. 

Lucas continues his explanation, pointing to one window in particular, "This part here opens up, and when it does I can activate the dust inside and use it like a 'flamethrower', but, like, with dust.  I don't really know how to explain it better than that.  I can choose which compartment is front-facing by using the buttons underneath the handle."  He glances back at the two Beacon students and chuckles a bit.  "Bet you can't guess what my job is," he jokes.

He then looks at Gram as he mentions his interests and his apparent lack of conversation skills.  "I've met people who can talk for hours, and believe me, you don't want to be like them.  Hours of babble and nothing actually said," he says, trying to be encouraging.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Frankenstein Joe

• View Profile
Re: Illumination and Concealment [Open, Limited 4/5]
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
Having been curious about her teammates sudden disappearance, Aoife had been quite the stalker when she saw him head into 'The Dish' and sit by himself. Fangs showing as she cracked a smile, she would skulk away back to their dorm and get changed. What's life without a little fun? Putting on her best set of nightclub attire and wearing makeup despite the fact it had recently rained and was still rather humid. Not too long later, she would return to the bar and spot him with two others. Once again beaming at the situation in front of her, she'd enter the place. While not wearing anything too revealing, it was very far from any form having any form of ability to keep the heat in, or to protect against the rain. Keeping herself warm and dry with periodic uses of her semblance, Aoife would enter the bar and try to keep a low profile until she was behind Gram. Or at least, as low a profile as one can keep while wearing what she was wearing in a busy pub.

""I uh... I don't think I ever talked for hours about anything but I enjoy sciences, biology and a bit of arts, I guess?""

That was her cue. Bouncing forwards while Lucas talks, once he finished she'd go to try and wrap her arms around his neck from behind and steal a pink lipstick'd kiss on his right temple, afterwards moving her mouth to next to his ear to say loud enough for them all to hear, "You can study my biology all night if you want, Gram."
Positively beaming as she pulls away to laugh, she'd wait to see if she got the reaction she wanted. That being for him to squirm and panic at the sudden flush of embarrassment from receiving a public display of affection. Though, torment would be more of an apt description than affection since she knew he was already a massive introvert from their time together as teammates.

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
Well that was unexpected Calen thought to himself as Aoife made her way towards them. The gaunt boy quickly recognised the mischievous glint in her eyes, having seen the same expression in his own eyes often enough, and therefore assumed she was the teammate that Gram was initially waiting for. This was proven right quickly given that the newcomer knew Gram's name, considering Gram wasn't a regular in the bar it would make the most sense. Now she was closer Calen was easier able to get a good look at Aoife, taking note of her blond hair and more noticeably the tail and sharp teeth. 'Come on dear don't be too mean, you could give the boy a heart attack.' Calen laughed, it was a harsh and cruel sound, but he pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to Gram before gesturing on his own face where Aoife had left her mark. 'Well today is as good a day to start as ever, what kind of art are you interested in?' Calen continued in characteristic patience, delayed gratification is the sign of a mature mind.

Turning back to Lucas Calen slowly looked up and down the older student before coming to a conclusion. Honestly, there was little information that the gaunt boy could get out of Lucas's appearance but still given how he didn't seem that worried about explaining his weapon to two, now three, hunters-in-training which unfortunately for Calen removed bandit from the running. So having an advanced weapon and not being significantly older than Calen and Gram meant that the former was rather confident in saying Lucas was related to the academies. But which one and how? The lantern was very Mistrali but so was Calen's sword and he went to Beacon but that and any detectable accent was all Calen had to go on and he was willing to take a risk here. 'You are from Haven, a recent graduate. How close am I?' Calen guessed hoping that overestimating Lucas's age would win him some good faith in the possible inaccuracy of his answer.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

TheKaru

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »
Gram had been looking at Lucas, nodding slightly with a faint smile at his view on the matter as he had first smelled the scent of Aoife's perfume creeping up behind him. Not to say that he saw her as a threat but, to a degree, his aura's danger sense did resonate with his teammate's approach. Obviously, she was planning on ambushing him, having neither sent a message telling him she'd come here nor being a regular patron here, it was one of the reasons why Gram had chosen this bar as the place for his rendezvous.
He wasn't exactly sure how to react, of course he was a bit startled, but not enough to let out a noxious cloud that'd result in the establishment having to be evacuated. Probably triggered by the alcohol in his system, he decided to take a gamble and turn the situation around, make it his. He twitched, of course, but that was his natural reaction to any sort of physical contact. With a sly grin, however, he turned his head towards his teammate swiftly, pulled her in, almost close enough for it to be considered very intimate and half-whispered, just as she did, a reply. "Oh Aoife, thank you so much for this offer but I find female biology rather boring..." His grin remained for a little bit, persisting through him wiping away the lipstick smear with the back of his hand. Of course he had heard Calen's input but he decided to pretend he hadn't, for whatever reason, he was feeling a bit petty today.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
Lucas had not seen Aoife enter the establishment, the conversation forced him to look in the opposite direction.  However, populous as the bar may have been, it wasn't so overcrowded that Lucas needed a great deal of effort to spot a newcomer.  He didn't really pay much mind at first, he just thought she was another bar bimbo looking for a night on the town.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...

That being said, Aoife was more than she first appeared, as evidenced by her sudden entrance to the conversation and the quick bit of banter between her and Gram.  It seemed the two knew each other, well enough for Gram to shake off his usual aura of awkwardness that he'd been displaying previously.  If he had to guess just based off of this first impression, Lucas would wager that this "Aoife" was either a childhood friend or a classmate of Gram's, perhaps even a teammate.  Was she the person Gram was waiting for...?

"Huh, and here I was thinking you called in your backup-date, Gram.  I was about to be impressed," he teases, keeping most of his thoughts to himself.  At the very least, if his friend is around, he may get more comfortable and open up more.  On top of that, if Aoife turned out to be another Beacon student, she could potentially be another useful contact in the future.

Lucas moved to take his weapon off of the bar counter when Calen caught him off-guard.  Lucas wasn't actually expecting anyone to make a guess at his business, the question was rhetorical.  That being said, he really doesn't want to give away too many details, regardless of how harmless those details might actually be, so he shakes it off with a small laugh and gives a pseudo-confirmation, "I wasn't exactly making it a challenge, you know?"

All things considered, it may be a bit weird for Lucas to conceal his identity this much.  He's not exactly an important person, nor is he in deep cover or anything like that.  He's really just some guy in a bar who likes to keep his affairs to himself.  The problem is that people are inherently curious and like to dig up secrets.  And while people showing interest can be flattering, Lucas is the type of person to clamp down harder the more people try to get him to open up, which ultimately leads to a cavalcade of disappointment as acquaintances find out the not-so-big secrets and Lucas is forced to divulge more and more uninteresting details. 

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Frankenstein Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »
As Calen speaks after her attempt to undermine Gram, she'd glance up at him, twitching at the name as she moved behind Gram to wrap her arms around his neck, the arms being warm to the touch as she uses a bit more of her semblance, flickers of orange criss-crossing the upper arms like twinkling lights or fireflies on speed. While she didn't get the response from Gram that she wanted, the night was still early and making him uncomfortable wasn't too hard. Looking at the group, while she didn't know anything about this lantern or had ever seen the other two. But she knew about Gram's' glove, and while she lacked Love's Bite, she felt comfortable enough with what she could do until she could summon it with the fancy lockers Beacon had.

"Back up date? Smokey would be lucky to get a pet, never mind anything bipedal. Besides, I assumed one of you was his date."
Eyebrow slowly arching as she eyed the pair, she'd finally add on a quick, "Or is this something off an app? Local Singles in your area meetup or something?"

TheKaru

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:59 PM »
Gram leaned back into the embrace, having grown to somewhat enjoy the natural heating pillow that his teammate occasionally seemed to function as. "Smokey? Have you ever called me that before? Also... What makes you think I'm single... Apart from, you know, me being me, I guess...", he chuckled awkwardly and sighed. He shrugged and glanced at Lucas. "I'm not exactly popular, I think... it's because of uh... You know, the occasional whaft of... semblance."
It wasn't exactly a comfortable topic for him but there was enough alcohol in his system to be able to relax and let go of a bit of his social anxiety, hence his rather casual reaction to Aoife's sudden entrance. He leaned further back, letting out a comfortable sigh while secretly dwelling on the thought of how good it would feel to feel actually close to someone who actually meant something to him in a way that was more than the friendship and trust between teammates. A strange and somewhat distant thought.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 12:52:12 AM »
Watching the interaction between Gram and Aoife, Lucas sipped whatever remnants of his drink remained and said, "Huh, could've fooled me.  Where I'm from, friends don't greet friends so, uh, boldly, not that I'm judging or anything.  That being said," he gestures to Gram's reclining form in between Aoife's arms, "You two seem like more than just friends, if you don't mind me sayin'.  Who are you, exactly?"  Lucas heard Gram mention Aoife's name, but that doesn't explain how he knows her or why their so chummy with each other.  He has a few guesses, but it's definitely better to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.  ...Or would a more appropriate analogy be to let Aoife let the cat out of the bag...?

When Gram comments on his "occasional whafts", as he put it, Lucas responds with a curious question, "By the way, what is your semblance, if you don't mind me asking?  If it's something I need to be worried about, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with."  It seems that Gram has a problem keeping it under control, which could be dangerous in a situation like this, where there are people everywhere that could be affected.  However, from the looks of it, Gram's semblance seems to be some sort of gas, which could probably be dispersed with the use of Lucas's own semblance and a bit of wind dust.  Or it could help facilitate the damage, if I'm not careful the more cautious side of his mind warned. 

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Frankenstein Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
"His jailer, or teammate. Whichever one works on the day really." Being kind enough to her teammate to actually refrain from bringing her elbows up and having Gram learn how to defend himself from suicide, Aoife would just focus on Lucas, not seeing Gram as some kind of threat or anything to be on edge by. "His semblance is he farts really badly. Like. Clears a room grade bad. Pretty sure the bunk next to him has to wear a gas mask to sleep in case he lets one rip in the night and straight up kills them." Shrugging gently, she'd then look down at Gram for half a second to go "The fact that you are never seen around with other people is why I know you're single. That, and you just admitting it."

TheKaru

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
Gram gave Aoife a small annoyed glance before looking back at Lucas. "It's not that simple... I do produce an aura-infused kind of gas with my semblance that has the same scent as indole... Which is one of the substances that make uh... feces smell the way they do... but also flowers! It's a thing of concentrations... Anyway... This gas is highly aggresive against any organic matter that's not protected by aura. It's not actually dangerous to any person unless their aura breaks, so, uh, don't worry about it!" He let out an awkward chuckle, activating his semblance very briefly in a manner where he knew it would be just a tiny cloud of gas that was weak enough to actually smell of jasmine, just to demonstrate it when it was under control.
" And yes, Aoife is my teammate, tormentor, friend or, according to my mother, the one who should bear my future children..." He twitched as he realized that the last bit was probably not exactly something he should have mentioned here and now, the alcohol had sadly not only helped him with his anxiety but also loosened his tongue to the point of working faster than his brain, it seemed. Quickly, he pulled his head away from Aoife's arms and leaned foreward on his chair, bracing himself for either a burst of heat or a jab at him from behind.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 03:52:26 AM »
"Oh, good thing there's a seat between us, then," Lucas jokes at Aoife's colorful description, "Though, if that's the case, perhaps I should scoot down a little more."  The actual explanation, however, was much more interesting in Lucas's opinion.  While he could do without the fact about feces, he made a mental note in his head about the machinations of Gram's semblance.  It's a little disconcerting to see Gram openly use it in a crowded bar with Aura-less people, now knowing how it works, but it seems that it's only dangerous if Gram wants it to be.  Lucas's inner tactician was already thinking of potential counter-measures, though his inner critic chided him for it; this was a bar, not a battlefield.

Observing the playful banter of the two teammates, Lucas wasn't really sure what to say next.  While the two definitely seemed friendly with each other, he still couldn't quite be sure if it that's as far as it went, and making a joke without proper context could go over poorly.  And with that thought, Lucas found himself asking the question every introvert dreads:  "where does the conversation go from here?"  In an attempt to inspire someone else to pick up the workload, he says, "Well, can't say I've ever heard of a semblance that assaults the nostrils like that.  Still, though, that sounds like it could get out of hand really quickly.  Can you move it after you, uh, puff it out?  Or can you disperse it when you don't need it anymore, or does it just hang around?"  Lucas isn't really trying to pry, but all these questions might be a bit suspicious, especially considering neither of the two actually know his name.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400