Author Topic: Azure Blair  (Read 9740 times)

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
Re: Azure Blair
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »
Is that all or should I edit more?
Also what do I do once I'm approved? Do I just start role-playing or do I need to put the profile somewhere first?
1st Year Beacon Student - Team CASA: Azure Blair

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »
Another mod will have a look first but yea once they approve it we will move it into approved characters but you can rp right after the second approval.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Vision

• Personal Text
    The Unofficial Official Keeper of Statistics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
Oki doki

For Occupation you should mention what school and what year she is in.

In regards to history, I totally get the idea that people should generally read this and that the long one is for your own sake (though I'll have to go through it all to check for the review) but with that in mind the history you have posted here is too short. You'll want to paint a picture of the backstory of this character. Right now you just have a summary, could do with being around 3 times as long but not much more than that.

Personality is good, though whenever it comes up I feel the need to recommend against creating a character with a severe mental illness, as these can be extremely difficult to play with any sense of realism. However if you feel that you are up for it then you are certainly welcome to try. Would like to see a quick comment on how she does academically.

What color is her aura? (This usually ends up being the text color you would use for when she is talking)

For semblance, It is unfortunately a banned semblance "Mental Manipulation: This includes effects that alter or directly affect another’s mind. Mind Reading, Mind Control, causing fear, etc." It isn't too close but the rule doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation, we are debating it so right now I can't say what will end up happening here.

Nice to see that the personality influences the combat behavior, good weaknesses so like this section in general. Want to bring up a few things in regards to the semblance. Does the effect only happen for as long as she is playing a song, or does it last for a time afterward? Being able to remove motivation from opponents is particularly close to mind control. Does the song affect everyone equally, would her teammates also lose motivation? (I see that you answer this under the weapon, I would put the motivation stuff as well as it affecting everyone under the semblance category)

Weapon seems fine other than no mention of its history, this should only be one or a few sentences, just so we know if she made it basically. (you can pretty much just take what you have about this from the extended history).

As for the extended history and personality, I'm glad to see that when facing Grimm her achievement is to survive rather than killing things when that young and that she has had both therapy and takes medication, if you want the yellow thing to be a theme at beacon (as there will be a lot of people wearing yellow) then you should mention it in the history here.

Diana Levone - Beacon First year - Leader and Medic of team Digital (DGTL)
[color= #839CA5]""[/ color]
Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)
[color= #F2B233]""[/ color]

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
alright, I've added aura color, weapon history, and a more detailed history. I also edited her semblance desc, mainly the limits, to try to give more of an understanding of how it works. but i'm like asdfghjkl having a hard time putting it into words lol. Like, she's not like selecting each individual and being like "you feel sad now" it's more like "this collective group of people has a sad atmosphere" like ppl can individually react to that as they please. Like, if that makes any sense lol.
Also, I didn't add the academic performance thing yet bc I wasn't sure if u wanted that just in her extended personality, or in her shorter summary as well?

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Alright looking good ^^

The academic comment needs to be on the short one since that's mainly what people will read, although to be clear it really doesn't have to be much.

In hindsight, I realize I didn't make it clear what I meant with weapon history, if you look at the template there should be one section after "History" after "Dust Functions" so just move it there :).

We haven't manage to decide on the semblance just yet so I'll get back to you on it and the specifics around it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:50:41 AM by Vision »

Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
oh okay, sounds good! I guess I missed the history section when copying the template over lol. I'll add that stuff in now :)

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »
Great, while not required for the profile you will want to decide on a specific color hex code (6 numbers or letters) for the character. This is used as your character saying things, so for example when my character Diana talks "The text looks like this"
Code: [Select]
[color=#839CA5]"The text looks like this"[/color]

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
alright. I think i found one i like.
testing testing
yay that worked. i'll probs go with that one (#000066). or maybe this or this

idk. do you think 000066 or 000033 works better?

edit: nvm, i think 000033 is easier to read lol

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
Okay, think we've come to an understanding with the semblance and the rules so that's all good ˆˆ.  So now it's detail time, these aren't needed to be in the profile but you should have an answer for them.

1. It does not affect Grimm at all, correct?
2. Does the effect stop when she stops playing music?
3. Does the effect stop if someone covered their ears, wears headphones, is deaf?
4. Since it affects the collective that would mean she could end up cheering up opponents or unmotivating her teammates, correct?

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
I believe I answered these either in my semblance desc or in my strengths/ weaknesses. I can remember which. I'll answer them here too so u don't have to search for them lol

1) No, it doesn't effect Grimm because Grimm have no souls/emotion and stuff. I think it actually only effects people. I'll have to add that part in. Like she can't manipulate a squirrel's emotions lmao.
2)Yes, when the music stops the effect stops because she no longer has an outlet to channel her semblance through
3)Yes, people need to be able to hear it for it to work
4)Yes. This I believe I mentioned in my weaknesses. or in my semblance limits? That's why she doesn't use it in combat much :)

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
Also does this mean I'm approved?

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 03:21:48 AM »
Almost, once the profile has been moved out of character creation and into approved you're good.

The main concern we've had in our debates is that we cannot allow any semblance that takes control of a character out of a players hands, and this one can cross that line. I have a soft spot for bards so I would love to see it approved and I think it can be as long as you are okay with the fact that in actual threads it may not come up too much. Basically, she can't play a song that will directly cheer everyone up or depress them(basically saying oh you are all depressed now), instead it would have to be something she "tries to cheer up" or something along those lines so that control is still in the hands of the player (you could talk with the people in the thread so that they know that it doesn't force an emotion). As for PvP threads (which I'll admit I personally couldn't care less about) the semblance will probably end up doing little to nothing, with friendly fire and the extent of the effect being chosen by another person.

So the question becomes if you are okay with having a semblance that is more flavor for the character rather than something that will come up much in threads? Or you would like to go for something different.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:39:44 AM by Vision »

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
Oh yeah, I understand completely. I made the semblance without plans of using it much, since I know a lot of people don't like that type of stuff. Obviously I'll say like "in an attempt to cheer soandso up" or "hopefully she could ____" whenever I use my semblance, or else it would count as an auto hit lol. And there's nothing more annoying than people who auto hit.
In short, yeah I'm perfectly fine if it doesn't come up very much. I think the main way it will come up would be when a crowd's emotions leak into her, since her mood can be influenced by the energy of the crowd she's in, which could result in some amusing roleplay lmao :)

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
approved

2/2

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
Other than typos make sure to list all changes you make.

Pre edit: ShowHide
CHARACTER

Name: Azure Blair

Species and Gender: Female, Faunus; her faunus trait is an arctic wolf tail

Symbol: https://imgur.com/a/lKwrNRS

Appearance: Azure is a tall, lanky girl standing at 5’10 with an mesomorph body. She has an hourglass figure defined by her sharp hips and decent sized bust. Her limbs are long but well toned, and --while she doesn’t have a complete six pack-- her abs are definitely noticeable and hard.

Her dark, black and blue hair, contrasts greatly with her pale complexion, as do her deep, navy eyes. Her features are rather feminine, but this is somewhat offset by her resting scowl that she seems to wear around a classroom setting. She wears minimal makeup, opting for dark eye makeup and occasionally some lip gloss, but doesn’t cake her face with concealer or highlighter or anything.

She has pierced ears and a navel piercing, as well as three tattoos. Her largest tattoo is vine across the left side of her abdomen that is is decorated with small flowers and thorns. She has a lip tattoo that says “ashes; ashes” and a set of words on the inside of the fingers on her left hand that when put together read “House of Wolves”.

Her clothing style is rather punk, preferring ripped jeans and tight crop tops or sport bras, seeing as this allows her to show off both her navel piercing and her vine tattoo. She has a black leather jacket that she likes to wear everywhere, along with a pair of thick soled, black combat boots that reach up to just below her knees; they’re decorated with an assortment of chains and buckles, and she always wraps the laces around the back at the top before tying them. The way people do with Converse. She dresses usually in monochrome colors of black, white, and grey, while also adding varying shades of blue to the mix as a pop of color.

The most notable trait about her is her long, white wolf tail. Both her parents were wolf faunus, so she too holds the trait of an arctic wolf. Her tail can swish back and forth, moving like a normal wolf tail, and is also able to puff up when Azure is scared or surprised.
For reference, have an image! https://imgur.com/gallery/7K6aiyZ

History: Born and raised in Atlas, Azure was the child of two huntsmen, both of which were wolf faunus. She was raised around the idea of combat, her parents always going off on missions and such. She thought of Huntsmen and Huntresses as real life knights in shining armor, and wanted to be one, just like her parents, when she grew up.

Not only did she grow up around combat, she also was heavily influenced by music at an early age. When she was nine, she was given her first guitar. SHe immediately took a liking to the instrument, and would practice for hours and hours a day, playing until her fingers bled.

When she was ten, she began taking private combat lessons, so she could be ahead of the game once she was old enough to start at a proper combat school. She also took guitar lessons, as well as self teaching herself using online videos.

For what seemed like forever, that was how her life was. But it was just the calm before the storm. At the age of eleven, she witnessed her parents die in a Grimm attack. She firmly believes it was her fault-- she had tagged along on a mission, and thinks if she had just stayed home they would still be alive. They would have died regardless of whether or not she was there, but at the time she didn’t know that. She still doesn’t know that.

During the time of her parents death, there was a large amount of yellow in the area: a field of yellow flowers, Azure’s yellow sundress, her mother’s blonde hair, the bright yellow sun... All of this would add up to Azure associating the color yellow with her parents’ death. To this day, she can’t stand the color, and can be triggered by large amounts of it. If someone were to walk by with a yellow shirt on, it’d be fine, but things like sunflower fields, rooms that are painted yellow, or wearing clothes that are yellow could trigger her.

After the death of her parents, she was put into foster care. She bounced around from home to home, never staying anywhere for longer than a few months. This was due to the fact that, as a result of her trauma, Azure would suffer severe mood swings with bursts of violence, going into fits of rage, or completely shutting down, staying in her room for hours being nearly completely unresponsive.

She enrolled in a proper combat school when she was 12, using combat as a coping mechanism. However, at the age of fourteen she was expelled after her reckless nature nearly got herself and half her classmates killed.

After losing one of her only coping mechanisms (the other being music), and fearing her dreams of becoming a huntress were permanently crushed, Azure spiraled into what would be counted as her first full manic episode. She was briefly hospitalized until the episode ended.

After getting out, she ran off, not wanting to return to her current foster family. She traveled around for a while, busking and playing gigs in cafes and bars to earn money.

When she was fifteen she was discovered by a music producer while playing in a hotel bar. He offered her a record deal, which she signed to eagerly.

She would go on to produce her first album a year later, and, a year after that, her second. Both were met with decent success, her second being more successful than her first. Around the time she released her second album he attempted to enroll at Beacon, since she was now of age. She was denied, and told she needed to complete combat school before apply again.

She re-enrolled at a combat school, which was pretty awkward since she was so much older than the other students, and finished her last two years. She then reapplied to Beacon and got in.

She is currently working on her third album, but will be dedicating more time to her studies and huntsmen training than music, since she knows she already has a solid grip on her music career.

If you would like a SIGNIFICANTLY more detailed description of her backstory, you can check out her extended profile.

Personality: Azure acts exactly how you would think she would act if you judged her based on her punk appearance: loud, wild, uncontrollable. She speaks her mind without a filter, without thinking of the consequences of what she's saying. She is incredibly reckless and impulsive, and will rush headfirst into battle without thinking of a strategy first. She takes zero bullshit, and isn't afraid to call people out on it. However, she is also an incredibly loyal, compassionate person. She cares for those she loves (which is a lot of people) greatly, and will do anything to keep them safe. She is strong willed and determined; once she sets her mind on a goal, she will achieve it no matter what. Azure also had Rapid Cycling Bipolar 1. This causes mood swings, or episodes, of mania and depression. She has learned to lessen the intensity of her episodes through medication, as well as using coping mechanisms like music and combat.
Due to her dislike of authority, Azure will often talk back to teachers or argue with others during class. She learns best from interactive, hands-on experiences than reading textbooks or listening to lectures. This is why she excels at combat above all other classes, it is a more hands-on, interactive class as opposed to the lecture format of Grimm studies or History.
(Also she's bisexual but I couldn't find a smooth way to add that in so I'm just randomly noting it here)
An extensive look into Azure's personality can be found here!

Aura and Semblance:
Aura color: dark, midnight blue

Semblance: Crowd Surfing

Azure has always loved crowds, always thrived off of them. She much prefers the company of several over the company of one; quantity over quality. So, it's no surprise that her semblance revolves around crowds too.

Azure can take a crowd in the palm of her hand and spin it; taming it, angering it, setting it wild. Uniting it. Mainly through music, Azure can manipulate the emotions and atmosphere of a crowd. She could calm an angry mob, or hype up an audience. Music is the main way in which she does this. When she plays music, she can manipulate emotions based on the song (e.g an upbeat song could hype them up, or a sad song could make them sad, etc). It is also possible to do without music, but that is much much harder since she doesn't have any form of "outlet" for her semblance to be channeled through.

A side effect of this semblance is one she can't control: sometimes, if she is feeling a particularly strong emotion, it will "leak" out into a crowd and they will feel a semblance of what she is feeling. Obviously, it won't be to the same level as her, but they will feel it at about half the intensity in which she feels it. This works well when she's excited and happy, since then the people around her will have higher spirits, but less so when she is sad, because then people around her

Limitations:

Azure needs an outlet (Music) for her semblance to work. This works best as music she is playing, but can also work with music the crowd is listening to (like at a club or a music festival). With time and practice, she will be able to manipulate crowds without needing an outlet, but for now it is needed if she wants any significant effect on a crowd larger than a few people. The only times she would be able to manipulate a crowd without an outlet would be the accidental times when her emotions "leak" into a crowd, or if the crowd is very small (only a handful of people). Anything more than about ten or so, as she would need some type of music to use her semblance.

Azure cannot physically manipulate the crowd, or mind control them. She is not dominating over a group of people, just manipulating the emotions and energy of it, they are still free to do as they please, she has no control over that. She cannot manipulate the energy or emotion of an individual, there has to be a bare minimum of three people, although usually five or six is better, and even then she can’t make them feel different things, she treats them as one conjoined unit, whose emotions and energy she manipulates as one.

Don’t get it confused with mind control. She could not, say, put thoughts in a person’s head or make people do certain things, all she is doing is manipulating the atmosphere. She could hype up an audience, or somewhat calm an violent protest. Basically, she can’t move the crowd or control their thoughts. It’s also not necessarily emotions, I just don’t what other words to use. It’s like, the emotional atmosphere of the crowd. Like you know at a concert when everyone is so happy and wild and you get that wild type of energy that you can just feel in the air? It’s like that. She can manipulate that energy somewhat.

When playing a song, everyone who hears it aside from herself will be affected. This is what makes it dangerous to use in team battles, since any attempt to liven her teammates could affect her opponents as well.

The effects only last as long as the song is being played, since music is needed as an outlet. Once she no longer has an outlet, her semblance will have little to no effect.

Just because she can draw energy from a crowd doesn't mean bigger crowds are earlier to manipulate. Larger crowds, are harder to manipulate, since her semblance has to spread thinner and farther to include each person. Her maximum is stadium sized. Not a giant stadium like Gillette, but more like TD Gardens sized, which is significantly smaller.

Combat Behavior: Azure is incredibly reckless and impulsive, which is reflected in her combat style. Azure will rush head on into a situation without stopping to strategize; there are times when she won’t even stop to talk with her teammates, and will instead just leap into battle.

If someone only ever saw Azure fight in sparring matches and battles with other students, they would think she is more tame than she actually is. When fighting other people, Azure holds back. She seems more rational and collected, aiming strikes to incapacitate but not cause any long lasting, serious harm. She cares deeply for others, and doesn’t want to seriously injure anyone she’s fighting. Unless their intent is to kill her, then she has no problem treating them like Grimm in order to save her own life.

When fighting Grimm, any organization Azure seemed to possess in sparring matches disappears. She is reckless and ruthless, consumed by blinding rage at her endless need for revenge. She treats every Grimm as if they were the one that killed her parents; she holds nothing back, her intention to rip every Grimm she comes across to unrecognizable shreds.

In combat, Azure can also channel her semblance through her guitar. She can play a song, and use it to either revamp her allies, or dishearten her opponents. She could a play a really sad song, which, when channeled through Renegade, has a stronger effect than if she were using a normal instrument, and use her semblance to spread the sadness through her enemies to make them lose motivation. She could play a hyped up, energetic song to energize her teammates.

Strengths:
Azure excels at melee combat. While she is capable of making more ranged attacks with dust, the main function of Renegade is a battle axe. She works the best in close quarters combat, wielding her axe expertly. She holds the neck like the handle, while the blades pop out from the body of the guitar.

Azure is well versed in the art of Dust usage. Given how much Renegade relies on it, she is very knowledgeable about Dust, and can easily come up with effective combinations of it to use in combat. Considering her guitar can hold a maximum of only two Dust types at a time, this leads to her having to be more creative with which types of Dust she inputs into Renegade.

Azure works best working alone. Given how opposed she is to strategy and planning-- as well as using proper form, Azure works best when the only one she could hurt from her recklessness is herself. She prefers 1v1 fights, or taking on Grimm by herself. She is more effective when she doesn’t have to worry about other teammates or allies.

Azure has high speed and quick reflexes, which she relies on during combat instead of planning. She counts on her high perception to keep her alert if (and when) her reckless actions result in... less than ideal situations.

Azure relies mostly on strength and brute force than fancy moves. She prefers to just overwhelm the opponent as opposed to adding flashy flips and spins into a fight. Her tall build gives her a size advantage over most girls she spars with, and slightly evens the playing field when sparring with guys.

Weaknesses:
By far, Azure biggest weakness is her recklessness, her inability to plan. She will rush into combat without thinking, not caring for the consequences of her actions. This especially holds true when facing off Grimm. Her thirst for revenge clouds her judgment, and all she sees is a need to kill the monsters in front of her. She won’t think about her teammates, she might not even think about herself; all she’ll think about is killing Grimm using any means necessary, even if it means nearly dying in the process.

This recklessness could also potentially lead to endangering not just only herself, but also anyone she is working with. She fails to think things through, and therefore won’t see the consequences of her actions. This is exactly the reason she was expelled from combat school: she didn’t think about what she was doing, and nearly got her and her classmates killed because of it.

When using her semblance in battle, anyone who hears it will be affected, so she risks invigorating her enemies, or making her teammates feel tired or sad, etc. Because of this, she tends to not use her semblance very much in battle if she is fighting alongside others.

Renegade is weaker as a ranged weapon. While, yes, Azure is skilled with dust and can use her weapon effectively, her range attacks are weaker than her melee attacks. Also, since her only range attacks are Area of Effect, they could potentially hit someone she wasn’t necessarily aiming for. Say she tried to attack an enemy with a blast of fire dust, there’d be no way to control or stop it if a teammate got in the way.

As previously stated, Azure doesn’t work as well in groups. This is not only due to her impulsiveness, but also because she cares too much about others. If she’s in a fight with allies, she could be too focused on making sure they were alright to watch her own back, or contribute as much to the battle, since she’d just be worried about them the entire time.

Due to her taller, and slightly gangly stature, stealth is one of Azure’s biggest weaknesses. She’s all awkwardly long limbs and thoughtless movements, making agility and stealth harder. Yes, she is fast, but that doesn’t mean sharp turns are balancing are any easier, even with the use of her tail.

If going through a manic or depressive episode, fighting becomes a lot more challenging. Obviously, with depressive episodes she will lack motivation, and could be too mentally or emotionally exhausted to fight. With mania, it’s harder to see as a weakness. When manic, Azure has much higher energy levels, which could be seen as a strength if it weren’t for the fact that focusing is impossible, and that her impulsivity spikes during episodes. She will have a hard time paying attention to the battle around her, as her thoughts will be moving to quickly, an be unable to stick to a certain idea or moment for very long.

WEAPON

Name: Renegade

Primary Form: An electric guitar.

Forged during Azure's time in combat school, before getting kicked out that is, Renegade combines her two favorite things: combat and music. When deactivated, Renegade is a sleek, matte black electric guitar with a black fret board and silver steel strings that are reinforced so they don’t break in battle. The guitar is built with a dust core instead of an electromagnetic core, allowing for it to be played without the need of any type of amp or speaker. In fact, the guitar just by itself has the ability to play louder than it would with a small, portable amp by adjusting the volume dial on it. The range of the dial exceeds that of a normal amp or guitar, being able to play at both louder and quieter levels.

Secondary Form: A battle axe.

Once activated, dust fueled LED lights glow along the edges of the pick guard and pickups in a dark, electric blue color. Dark grey blades will pop out of the sides of the guitar body, and the strings will begin to crackle with blue aura. The blades allow for melee combat, wielding the guitar like an axe.

Azure can also channel her semblance through her guitar, making it stronger. She can play songs, turning up the volume so everyone can here, and then use her songs to either invigorate her teammates, or dishearten her enemies. The catch to this is that anyone who hears the music will be effected, so she could potentially give her opponents an emotional energy boost, or decrease her teammates motivation.

Dust Functions: Renegade relies almost completely on dust. It has a dust core that allows for it to be played without needing an amp or speaker, and uses dust in combat as well.

In combat, dust can be inserted into the body of the guitar in the same place one would plug in an amp cord. Once the dust has been inserted, the strings will glow the colors of whatever dust is being used. This allows for ranged combat, in which, when a chord is play, a wave of whatever dust type has been inserted will spread from the strings of the guitar in an Area of Effect attack. For example, fire dust would create a wave of fire, ice dust would create a blast of frost or shards of ice, etc.

The effect of the blast of dust can be increased if Azure plays a song, any song, to build it up. Once released, the AoE attack will be stronger, and spread farther. However, it is possible that too much energy could get stored and it may explode, causing potential harm to both Azure and Renegade. Because of this, Azure doesn’t usually spend much time charging up strikes, and just plays the chords to release the dust waves.

History: Renegade was crafted by Azure in a combat school when she was 14. She built it as a guitar/battle axe hybrid to unite her two favourite things: music and combat. The guitar section was made with combat in mind, obviously, so it was built to withstand battles and force better than your average electric guitar. It was forged only a few months before she was kicked out of combat school.

Extended Profile Here