Author Topic: First Year 1v1 bracket- Round 2: Ayaka Miyamoto vs. Catalina Glenn  (Read 8800 times)

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
It was a nice day outside as the arena was filled to the brim with an outstanding amount of spectators in the stands. Much like previous matches, a familiar voice brought the arena back to life as the spectators start to cheer again! ”Wow, it’s almost like an inexplicable amount of time had passed between this match and the previous one!” Hunter’s energetic voice brought forth even more cheering from the audience. ”Anyhow, lets get to the blood and guts!” Shuffling of papers echo out through the arena as Hunter tries to find which match is up. ”There we go! Alright, we’re seeing the return of Ayaka Miyamoto!” A small recap of the highlights of her match pops up on the screen. ”By the power vested in me as an announcer, I deem this contestant a weeb.. Or is that NEET? I don’t remember correctly.” Next paper. ”As for her opponent, we have Catalina Glenn who literally had an easy win given to them!” Due to the nature of the fight, there was no highlight to play. ”Alright losers, time to see if the RNG behind this fight deem whether or not it’ll end up like Glenn’s last match!”

A large holographic image of a lottery machine appears on all sides of the arena, with two spinners. The spinners spun so quickly, making it nearly impossible to make out the passing words. It ticked through the options slower and slower until it finally stopped on Urban and River.

The floor of the arena lowered and, in its place, arose one large platform. With a new round comes new possibilities for stages! A combination of the two environments, a sizeable river hamlet would rise up. Comprised of very structurally weak wooden homes to be used for cover, this stage would prove useful for those who use firearms or are adept at ambush attacks. A slim river would run through the hamlet slightly below ground level, so make sure not to trip and fall into it!

As the spinner finished its job and faded away, the doors on each side of the arena opened to signify the start of the match.

(A coin flip has decided that Catalina will get the first post. The arena size is identical to that of the 1v1 arena in the show, however, it features scaled down biomes to fit the size. Good luck, and may the best combatant win.)
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    Balanced self-insertion FTW
    • View Profile
Re: First Year 1v1 bracket- Round 2: Ayaka Miyamoto vs. Catalina Glenn
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »
Here he is, Catalina at where he fell the first time. This time it's different, there are no scandals or tragedies of any sort overshadowing the fight, it's just two fighters at their best trying to determine who of the two is better. And with preparations, his desire to be the one on top is clear as crystal and dense as tungsten. As in, the bullet that he is about to deliver to his opponent. He had thought about it, the semblance, the blade, the wires, he devised plans to counter each of them. But as they say, no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy, Catalina had to see the field to know whether the plan survives even that.

He stepped outside the door as he went over the strengths and weaknesses as he observed once more. Seeing the small complex, here is one clear option befitting his role here: get onto the tallest building and snipe away. However, any of those buildings look prone to being knocked down so another idea brews in his mind. it would require giving up his starting range but could have a large payout before the fight starts. With that in mind, he walked towards the center waving his both his hands, trying to show temporary harmlessness to get his first handshake in the tournament. "Hello Ayaka! Would you like to shake hands before we start?"

In secret and at the furthest from her, Catalina utilized his semblance to take out his lightning dust from the toolbox he is wearing as a backpack without letting Ayaka notice.

Combat stats:
Aura: 100%
Ammo for Take That!: 20/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Dust: 100% Fire/100% Earth/100% Lightning/100% Ice
Semblance: 99%

Action:
Attempting to walk towards the center, taking out lightning dust in secret
Catalina Glenn - first year Beacon Academy student - "Not funny, dude! And not dudes... and everyone else... " - Cata, Cat.
Infrared Ray - fourth year Atlas Academy student - "So it's __ and __(insert name here) meets each other."
Sheer Gold - second year Beacon Academy student - "This is super effective!"
Siu Ceong - Beacon Academy graduate Huntress - "What is this? Where can I learn about it?"

Character hex code for reference: ShowHide
Cat: #0A44C2
Infrared: #CB4154
Sheer: plain red
Siu: #28CDFF

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
     Ayaka needed no introduction but as expected the annoying announcers somehow came up with some random gibberish to spout out once again. Weeb? What  the heck was a weeb? If they were going to praise...or insult, if that was an insult, they should be straight to the point and use much more common words.

The arena was laid out before her and, despite its smaller size to the other sets, again held biomes. Though urban settings weren't really biomes at this point. Urban and river, almost similar to a normal town except much smaller. Much much smaller. Unlike her previous fight there was now more cover, meaning more areas to set her wires. Her eyes glanced over the structures and then the river, and decided that she'd use the buildings for cover if needed.

Catalina showed up at the opposite door, her next opponent, and it was evident he was not the direct type. Smaller of frame compared to other boys, a gun, and body language that suggested he wasn't all that melee proficient. As per usual Ayaka walked towards the center, approaching Catalina with a steady gaze, and tilted her head at the offer of a handshake.

["Hello Ayaka! Would you like to shake hands before we start?"]

Nearing the center herself she shook her head, "The match has started, that's all that matters. Save the formalities for till after you give a proper fight. if you give a proper fight." Her eyes darted to the rifle. If the match is going to be full of bullets flying she swore she's going to make it hurt.

In the next instant it flashed white from her sheath.

She picked a position nearer the buildings, opting to keep the river in front of her and the buildings nearby. If Catalina was to run towards them he'd have to go through her first, and unlike the much more urban setting, the river sets looked rather fragile. With one hand on top of her katana's hilt Ayaka drew a lightning fast draw cut as she activated judgement cut. A flying slash of energy hurtled towards her opponent in a white-hot arc, not actually glowing but evidently a product of her semblance. The move wasn't unfair. It wasn't at all cowardly. He should have expected such a reaction and if all that arena sitting he did was worth a cent, he should have picked that up as well. 

Running towards him right behind the slash, Ayaka aimed to close the distance with her nodachi drawn and her mind sharp and charged the boy with the intent to win.

Aura - 100

Attacks:
Semblance Slash - 7%(Projectile attack)
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:18:47 AM »
Cheap trick. From what Cat has heard, if she was facing Razzmatazz she might have surprised him with that, but not Catalina, and definitely not when he's scheming himself.

As a result, Cat simply jumped to the side and pulled out his rifle to return fire. With minimal time needed to aim at an effectively stationary target, two rings of gunshot are let out in quick succession, one slightly to her right then one at her. That way she should be approaching him from his right and Cat breaks to his left, where he picked a house and aims for entering it, aiming enter close quarters combat with Ayaka there. Then He can enact his first plan.

Combat stats:
Ammo for Take That!: 18/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Semblance: 98%

Action:
Piercing rounds: 15%x2 but probably can't be hit by both of them
Putting back the lightning dust
Catalina Glenn - first year Beacon Academy student - "Not funny, dude! And not dudes... and everyone else... " - Cata, Cat.
Infrared Ray - fourth year Atlas Academy student - "So it's __ and __(insert name here) meets each other."
Siu Ceong - Beacon Academy graduate Huntress - "What is this? Where can I learn about it?"

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »
     Ayaka expected quick retaliation, and just as she thought the shooter retreated. With her sword already drawn it was but a small matter to deflect the incoming shot and give chase, the other shot seemingly missed altogether anyways.

The houses were small, small enough to be cramped. Swallow's Bane would no doubt be at a disadvantage inside such a cramped space. Luckily, she had a backup weapon and a much shorter blade. if she ever decided to actually go inside.

Being a melee fighter Ayaka acknowledged her weaknesses, but that doesn't mean she'd let them dictate the flow of the match. Despite her lack of true range, the arena was certainly small enough to make her semblances deadly with but a small close of distance.

As Catalina aimed to walk into the house, Ayaka activated judgement cut and slashed as she ran. Not a moment later an ethereal arc of energy, 3m in length would appear at the entrance way to stop her opponent's advance. The length of her slash wasn't dependent on the length of her blade, but the length of its arc, so the attack was much wider than her blade. She attacked again, this time manifesting the slash from behind him, her attack bounding through space and appearing opposite her first.

Attacks:
[Judgement Cut - 7% x 2]

Aura - 100%

OOC: I'm assuming he hasn't entered yet, given how it's written
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Darn, I hadn't thought of that when I fired, Cat scolded himself when he hears his round being deflected. Next time though, it won't be just a single round. Nor will it be easily dodgeable. While it won't be at the level of 'one shot one hit', the success rate of any attack can be greatly improved by picking only the right time to strike.

Which is why Catalina picked the house as his ideal confrontation location. It's small so the very long blade's reach advantage is nullified and even become a burden. He saw clearly that she had another shorter blade for the circumstances, hopefully meaning she relegates the Nodachi to shooting wires, which would be exactly what Cat want to see.

Seeing there's no easy way to continue into the house without either taking the hit or slowing down, Cat opted to stop altogether and make a sharp turn to face Ayaka, taking both slashes in the process. Roughly leveling his rifle at Ayaka's head and firing off a shot Cat then used the distraction to break into the house, remembering to close the door behind him because that would be important.

Once inside the house Cat ran through the other side of it making a hole and the illusion that he ran that way. In reality, Cat used his semblance to pull himself up a horizontal overhang and lies there, like an eagle preparing to snatch his prey out of the air any time. One thing he worries about is that Ayaka would try to bust down the entire house, but it doesn't seem like she had prepared fire dust for that. And even if she does, Cat is sure he can find a way to turn it to his favor.

Combat stats:
Aura: 86%
Ammo for Take That!: 17/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Semblance: 88%

Action:
Piercing rounds: 15%x1
Making a hole on the wall of the house, hiding at the vantage point

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:57:06 AM »
     Ayaka didn't need to deflect the next shot but ducked to avoid it instead, slowing her advance quite a bit. She watched as her opponent made their way into the broken down house and decided against going inside.

There weren't any clear windows in the house, and from a glance it looked like it would fall at any moment. A crash soon after notified Ayaka that he probably broke through and intended for it to be a trap inside. Her main weapon being much less effective in cramped quarters.

Deciding against going inside the house she took the more roundabout way and ran around the perimeter, listening for any sign of him nearby. Removing her spool she readied it for wire usage and also started charging her blade with her semblance. It was most definitely a trap but she intended on cutting it down with force.

Aura - 100%

Semblance Charging

Students

Professors

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
Ayaka didn't come at the front door. That's not a good sign. She might have figured him out already, or at least she will when she presumably goes around the house and finds out that Cat isn't anywhere on the side. He had to make a distraction from that.

To do that, he once again took out his vials of Dust, the fire one this time, unscrewed the cap on it and placed it on the barely open door creating a 'bucket on door' boobie trap using his semblance. Its intent is two-fold: The ordinary trap part where she gets showered with fire dust if she opens the door and more importantly the secondary effect, as when Ayaka looks through the hole when she comes around she is going to assume that's all there is to it and enters. And when she does...

For now, he shifted to another overhang, lying just above the improvised entrance, ready to use the drop on her at a moment's notice.

Combat stats:
Ammo for Take That!: 17/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Semblance: 87%

Action: Setting up the boobie trap, moving his position in the house

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
     Ayaka hated guerilla fighters. They were shady, cowardly, and frankly boring fighters. Waiting in the dark and taking cheap shots was nothing short of deplorable from Ayaka's point of view. What good would hide and seek be against grimm hordes? When you're cornered? When the opponent is better than you? Pathetic.

As she rounded the house she couldn't help but see nothing waiting on the other side except the hole. No sudden gunfire, no taunting, and no sounds. Her blade kept charging as she inspected the area with a keen eye, and her hand resting on the handle, ready to draw at a moment's notice. No footprints lead outside the house, and unless the opponent was a speedster or had some sort of flight, they wouldn't have been able to clear the area so quickly. That left few options to consider. Invisibility didn't seem like a possible option, unless they hid inside the house, that or they were just waiting inside from the get go, using the hole as a distraction.

Making up her mind Ayaka drew her charged blade and activated her semblance to increase cutting power. She attacked the house in three strikes, diagonal, horizontal, and vertical, her extremely long blade being more than enough to clear the small building with the semblance slashes. Even if they might not hit anyone inside, she was sure it would take down the poorly built shanty and whoever was inside.

It was a gamble, if someone were actually watching, she'd be leaving her back wide open to attack, not to mention the charged attack taking a bit of stamina as compensation. But if successful she'd have tracked down her target. She took the bet, and with it laid out her net. A shot in the back wasn't going to stop her anyhow if she failed and she was sure to face any resistance with aggressive retaliation. She cursed not being able to watch the screens for clues, that would have made things way easier. Luckiy her condition was still spot on, being fresh from the start, and since her opponent didn't bother clashing, she had enough to keep fighting for much longer if needed.

Attacks:
[Charged attack(1turn): 10 x 3(Diagonal, Horizontal, Vertical)]

Students

Professors

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
It feels good to be back in the shadows. Lately, Catalina has been in far too much close quarter spars he almost forgot that this is his native environment. Undetected, unexpected, with minimal risk of damage and high likelihood of a successful attack. It's what let you and your team storm a bandit lair with zero casualties, safely whittle down hordes of Grimm, and avoid being cornered.

At first the there was no movements that can be detected, at least not from his field of view that is incredibly skewed, but then three arcs sweep through the house, missing him and going straight through. At first, there was nothing but then the entire house moves a little sideways. That's where Cat had to move, it's the best and only time to do so.
[Grab attempt granted by Xar.]
So with some more Semblance application, grabbing at the now slightly displaced hole he flung himself out like a slingshot being used to hunt a prey, in this case Ayaka, although she's a little undersized considering the size of the hole. To maximize the likelihood of a successful grab, he used more of his semblance, extending a cylinder on each of the sides and wrapping it around her if he got her in it. Doing all of this put some strain on his mind, but it was negligible for now and he is hopefully going to do more than enough damage to make up for it just a bit later.

Behind him, Cat can hear the building collapses and while losing all of his fire dust is disheartening, he does not make it a particularly big deal as he is going to get a large advantage just now.

Combat stats:
Ammo for Take That!: 16/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Dust: 0% Fire/100% Earth/100% Lightning/100% Ice
Semblance: 75%

Action:
Hugging Ayaka with Semblance aid: Grab and possibly knocking her down

Edit: Grab NOT granted by Xar.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:05:31 AM by Siuwa »

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Xar, stop being dumb and letting Siuwa get close to the final round

Autohit against Ayaya granted
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »
     So the rat actually popped out of it's hole, much to Ayaka's surprise. Being a coward she thought he'd do something dumb like brace himself but it seems like his semblance Yanked him out like a weed in the ground.

Getting arms wrapped around herself was no good, and Ayaka's sword arm was pinned to her side. She managed to not get knocked down, however, she had her footwork to thank for that.

The swordswoman struggled to free herself but given the position it would be stupid to keep moving without a plan. With one arm free and her lengthy sword's hilt at her side, Ayaka shot out several wires to her free hand, from behind Catalina's back, and attempted to wrap the wires around his neck if he didn't let go. Not letting it be an easy grab, however, Ayaka moved every now and then and started angling her sword upwards as well.

Aura - 100%(no damage taken from grab since none indicated)

Actions:
Makeshift Garote - 2% if successful choke.
Students

Professors

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
Gotcha. Here's where the fun begins. Catalina triumphantly thought to himself. Ayaka's body feels neither warm or comfortable, but that's because 1)Aura and 2)She's constantly struggling. Plus, we're talking about constraining an enemy as the context here, it's not like Cat is embracing his lover or something.

Seeing Ayaka has shot out the wires to wrap it around Cat is no less than ideal, because that makes rounding her up so much more efficient. All Cat needs to do is take it from her hand. So Cat just reached out with his Semblance and struggled against her hand delivering the choke. Then in his toolbox, the lightning Dust is uncapped and it's content infused into his field of Aura, including that thing that was sent to confront Ayaka's threatening hand. They provide a constant electric shock to hopefully weaken Ayaka's resistance.

Using this chance, Cat draws some more upon his Semblance by using it to hold his rifle, pointed it at Ayaka's back and pulled the trigger. Hopefully, this would hit because using his Semblance as hands allow the recoil to damage itself a bit, and the strain on his mind is already manifesting in the form of heavier breathing.

Combat stats:
Aura: 83% (-3% from recoil)
Ammo for Take That!: 15/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Dust: 0% Fire/100% Earth/25% Lightning/100% Ice
Semblance: 65%

Action:
The hug is now imbued with lightning Dust dealing 5% damage per second of contact.
Sniper shot: 15%x1

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:04 AM »
     Such an odd semblance, Ayaka thought, seeing the amorphous and oddly convenient aura shape itself. The following shock wasn't enough to bring her down, however, and knowing the rat, he'd probably use it some other way.

A second later she felt a shot to her back, and groaned but was more annoyed than anything. "Is that all you've got?" She cried, throwing her free hand to the side, twisting her leg, then aiming an aura powered knee to the crotch that can't possibly be avoided at this range. Not a second later she channeled her aura to her feet and attempted to escape the grab, using the crotch attack as her main distraction, then bursting forward to leap into the air, dragging her sword along with her if she successfully shot upwards. The force was enough to launch her upwards, and with her wires she would hook Catalina along with her to entangle any part that got caught as she launched.

Aura -80%

Attacks -
Burst Knee Attack to Crotch - 10%
Sword + Semblance Burst upwards - 10%
Students

Professors

Siuwa

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 06:12:10 AM »
Catalina already foresaw what was coming as soon as Ayaka twisted her leg. Pathetic. In a street brawl between normal people that might be rather effective, as many important nerves and blood vessels pass through the crotch, but against someone with their Aura unlocked all it would do is hurt more. But Cat also has that one negated, as the knee slams in between his legs she would find it stops right before hitting anything important, no doubt the doing of his immensely versatile Semblance. Said Semblance is also to choke Ayaka with the tube that originally went to fight against the wires, wrapping it around her neck and sending some more current to her.

Ayaka continuing to struggle is impressive considering her body should be twitching all over, but Cat continues to latch on her as if he is a barnacle and she is the untreated hull of a ship. The jump is impressive and sure did a number on the ground she's standing on but didn't touch Cat, but he admitted it could very well shake himself off if he didn't nullify the impact of the knee to the crotch. But as it is he remained and took another second to reposition his rifle so as to not accidentally shoot himself then pulled the trigger again.

While in the air Cat also look at the surroundings to find a good spot to land that can turn the tide off the battle to his favor even more. And there actually is one, in the form of the river. Pushing the limit of micromanagement with his mind and starting to suffer from headaches that were only exhaustion mere moments ago, a pair of gliding wings manifested from the Sharpshooter's back, directing the two of them towards the flowing creek where electric shock can be much more damaging.

Combat stats:
Aura: 70% (-3% from recoil recoil removed due to lower power, -10% from knee; Damage adjusted for lower Aura)
Ammo for Take That!: 15/20 shots of piercing rounds loaded/1 magazine of piercing rounds/1 magazine of explosive rounds/5 shocking rounds/5 heating rounds/5 freezing round
Dust: 0% Fire/100% Earth/25% Lightning/100% Ice
Semblance: 55%

Action:
Choke: potential deprivation of air
Contact with electrified Aura: 5% -> 7% per second due to increased contact
Sniper shot: 9%x1

Edit: Add the impact of lower than average Aura and decreased piercing rounds damage
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:24:57 PM by Siuwa »