Author Topic: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Rufus Chocla vs. Jima Purpora  (Read 9757 times)

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile

”So…. I’m gonna keep this real simple and quick. To start with, both opponents are unsurprisingly from Beacon Academy.” A yawn rings through the sound system. ”We got this chick called Jima, and I’m 90% sure she has some sort of Grimm fetish. I’m not sure how far that goes, but I really don’t want to know. On the other side, we got Rufus Chocla. If you ask me, more like Doofus Chocla am I right?” It was a low hanging fruit, but even intellectual geniuses would do the same thing. ”Now if you ask me, I’m sure Doofus has some sick tunes in store for us during the fight. I wish you good luck!”

Quickly taking over from Hunter, Prim would clear her throat before saying ”Yes, it would seem that this match is definitely one between...misfits. You don’t even have to mention the race of that boy to know he’s a goon, and I know for a fact that nobody enjoys that...rap stuff, especially my dear Hunter. And then the girl! She looks as if she’d be hanging out in a back alley somewhere, just ready to go berserk on some poor fool! But speaking of going berserk, let’s see how berserk the spinner will go on these two!”
A large holographic image of a lottery machine appears on all sides of the arena, with two spinners. The spinners spun so quickly, making it nearly impossible to make out the passing words. It ticked through the options slower and slower until it finally stopped on Lava and Trenches.

The floor of the arena lowered and, in its place, arose two new floors. On Jima’s side, a large volcanic mountain would take up most of the space. Surrounded by cracked earth, this volcano would spew a constant stream of lava that would eventually leak onto the opposite side of the arena. On Rufus’ side, grassy plains would emerge as a stark contrast to the opposite side. Trenches that zigzagged throughout the area would be lined with heavy sandbags. Those sandbags wouldn’t help against the lava that would inevitably overtake the trenches, however! Be careful how long you stay down there!

As the spinner finished its job and faded away, the doors on each side of the arena opened to signify the start of the match.

(A coin flip has decided that Rufus will get the first post. The arena size is identical to that of the 1v1 arena in the show, however, it features scaled down biomes to fit the size. Good luck, and may the best combatant win.)
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    (´・ω・`) | I feel down the stairs and ravioli on me
    • View Profile
Re: Third Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Rufus Chocla vs. Jima Purpora
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Rufus sauntered into the arena and sneered at the announcer's booth. "Y'all are just a buncha posers, trying my patience, so keep y'all traps shut or I'll hit you with a cadence, so sharp it'll cut through the silence left by the jokers who -"

Rufus then realized that whatever he was saying was being entirely blocked out by the noise of the crowd. As such, he turned directly towards the announcers booth, activated his semblance and simply yelled "Fuck you!" before turning towards his opponent.

The terrain was all kinds of wack. He didn't know what his opponent was capable of, but gears were already turning in the young rapper's head on how he could use this stuff. The trenches weren't great, but the lava... The lava was pretty lit.

The boy was carrying Flow in his hands, Soul strapped to his belt. As much as he'd like to go in with just his fists, he decided to see what his opponent brought to the table first - he didn't want to be too far from his weapons lest he needed to use Encore.
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Anza Burgundy - 1st Year archer of team CRSA. "War eagle, feller!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Grimm fetish? Grimm fetish? C'mon, at least give her a little more credit!

Jima sighs and shakes her head at the announcer's banter as she walks out onto the arena. Degrading and pointless, as usual. Regardless, the woman can at least appreciate this year's variety in terrain, and the sight of an erupting volcano behind her as she walks out onto the field, well - to put it simply, it looks kickass.

The woman pulls Goliath from her waist, whacking the head against her palm as she stares down her opponent. Short but stocky, carrying an iron spear and looking particularly tense. She can't help but snort as he turns to yell at the announcers and (rather conveniently) reveals his semblance, magnifying his voice. Jima's willing to bet there's some blowback to that particular attack - she'll need to watch out for that. She offers him a cocky grin as he turns back to her, shifting her weight onto one foot. "Ignore 'em, they're ignorant assholes. Let's give them a show for the ages, yeah?"

She doesn't give him time to respond - she immediately takes off after that, rushing diagonally to Rufus' left. It's probably a good idea to put some distance between her and the lava fields - and it's a better opportunity for the head of her mace to open up, pumping off to shotgun rounds in quick succession towards her target.

Attack Log:
Shotgun rounds (6% x2)

Jima's Combat Stats:
Aura: 100%
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:31:39 PM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »
"If a  good show is what you want, it's more than words that I can flaunt!" Rufus responded, appreciating the fact that his opponent seemed to share his sentiment towards the announcers.

Rufus' new fight theme since I lost the link to his original theme list: 6 Foot 7 Foot - Lil Wayne feat. Cory Gunz

Rufus isn't much of a ranged fighter - he knows he needs to get in close range with his opponent. The appearance of a shotgun mace might put a wrench in things. But, hey - that's just how the boy likes it.

He runs directly at his opponent - his small size aids in avoiding the first blast, but the second still clips his shoulder. Wincing he continues his dash towards Jima. He's over 20 cm shorter than her - to some it would be a disatvantage, but the kid has learned to use his height well. Both of them now likely near the center of the field, Rufus opens up his attack with a jab towards the girl's abdomen. Not the most sophisticated or powerful of attacks - but an opener never the less.

(Stab: 5% aura damage)

Aura: 94%
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:41:04 AM »
"Let's see if you can back up that taunt - I'm not going to let this be a jaunt!" She rhymes right back, a cocky grin appearing on her face. This match is going to be fun.

Despite the smile on her face, Jima's words are a premonition - she doesn't flinch away from the jab, instead choosing to power right through. Moving quickly to close the distance, a twist of the handle closes the head of Goliath just in time for Jima to grip it with both hands, bringing it up in a harsh two-handed backswing headed directly for Rufus' chin. Aimed low, of course.

Attack Log:
Two-handed Backswing (5%)

Jima's Combat Log:
Aura: 95%
Goliath: 3/5
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
Rufus snickered at the girl returning the rap. The following slam to his chin was less appreciated. He leered back, but didn't falter to return the favor. Rufus went for a dual attack, tossing Flow aside as he lunged at Jima. He weaves to her left side, pulling Soul off from his belt with his right hand.

The boy brings the dagger forward along with his right leg - the kick aimed for her knee while the dagger was aimed higher towards her chest. The girl hit hard - he needed to get in as much early damage as possible.

(Kick: 3% Stab: 5%)

Aura: 89%

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Did he just throw his weapon to the side?

Jima makes a quiet note to herself to keep an eye on where that spear went, swinging her mace in a circle to reaffirm her grip. Rufus is moving to her left, going for a dual attach. She manages to bring her mace up to block the stab, even if she needs to block it with two hands - but the smaller man's kick lands, grunting in response.

Unfortunately for him, she's not just going to stand there and take it. Her stance shifts, pivoting to her right and trying to force his dagger to the side, while bringing her left boot up in a harsh snap-kick aimed at his ribs.

Attack Log:
Snap Kick (4%)

Prism's Combat Stats:
Aura: 92%

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »
[Grab permitted by Moth]

There were some drawbacks to being short. One such drawback was how easily people could kick you in the ribs. Well, better in the ribs than in the-

Rufus reeled back from the attack, but was quickly on the offensive again. He had pulled Soul back and back in its sheath in one smooth motion; he had tried using his weapons for this fight, but, hey - if she was going to parry them, he might as well start doing what he does best.

He lurched down towards her leg and locked it with his elbow. He pulled up with the intent of throwing Jima off balance, his other hand already in a fist aimed towards her gut. He was trying to get her onto the ground - a brawler like him would have a distinct advantage if he could pull it off.

(Leg grab: Potentially throwing off balance; Punch: 5%)

Aura: 85%

My good ole AMA

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:03 AM »
When Smokey saw Jima was participating in the Vytal Festival, he knew he needed to see it.  Not because they were great friends or anything, but because he wanted to see what she's like when she's taking things seriously.  The only reason that "brawl" in the weight room was even close was because Jima didn't take Smokey seriously enough. Towards the end, he couldn't even land a shot on her.  He knows that if they fought again, she'd wipe the floor with him.

So to see a fight like this, where her opponent is a short, stocky guy like him?  Well, it's a gold mine of potential information.  In fact, watching Rufus grab Jima's leg gave him a few flashbacks to the fight back then.  If he's honest, he's not sure who to root for?  With her opponent pulling moves like that, Smokey can't help but put himself in Rufus's shoes, trying to figure out how Jima will react and counter accordingly.  It's a weird feeling.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »
[Grab granted by Walter]

What is it with short people and grabbing her kicks? Like, c'mon!

Jima doesn't let the fact that Rufus managed to catch her kick get her down - instead, she does the literal opposite.  Powering through the hit to the gut and jumping towards him, it isn't hard to grab the shorter man's head in a cinch, moving to force her trapped leg down and to get it out of the hold. The other knee she brings directly up, aimed for the shorter man's groin - unless he wants to deal with a world of hurt, he's going to need to dodge, and fast.

Attack Log:
Kneecap to the groin (6%, potential to double over in pain and raise voice a few octaves)

Jima's Combat Stats:
Aura: 87%

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »
In rap terms, poor Rufus went from a Dr. D.R.E. to a Danny Brown in an instant. Sure, like any man taking part in such a tournament, he had prepared protection over such vulnerable areas, but a solid kick like that still did its work.

He reeled back in pain, choosing not to spit any lines out in that moment - he'd likely sound much like a squeak toy anyway. He instead charges back in with a series of rapid punches holding a boxer's stance, both arms bent at the elbow and lifted to cover his own face. His steps weren't quite on point - an after effect of getting slammed in his crown jewels - but his punches were solid as always.

(Right hook, left hook, right hook: 5%, 4%, 5%)

Aura: 79%

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »
Jima gives herself a breath of relief as her escape attempt works, letting her jump back after a literal low blow. It doesn't slow down Rufus in the slightest though, and he comes back swinging (if a bit unsteadily) - but it Jima just enough time to reaffirm her grip on Goliath.

Dodge the right hook, dodge the left hook, grunt slightly as Rufus manages to land a hit with his right arm. He's protecting his face, so his stomach is vulnerable, and a twist to Goliath's neck sets the head loose on it's chain, bringing it around for an uppercut glancing off his stomach, before going to bring it down on his head in a follow-through.

Attack Log:
Uppercut (4%)
Downswing (4%)

Jima's Combat Stats:
Aura: 82%

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
Jima was about as good at dodging punches as he himself was. Despite the fact that it wasn't exactly great news for him, he was glad to find an opponent as strong as her. That's what he was here for.

A challenge.

Rufus saw the incoming strike from her mace - a low uppercut to his guts like that would be hard to dodge. Easy to follow up on. Impossible to block without a weapon...

Instead, he took the brunt of her first attack and went for an uppercut of his own - a studded gauntlet to her jaw. The downsing was slightly scarier - he placed his own arm in front of it to lessen the damage at least a little.

(Uppercut: 7% damage)

(Half damage taken from downswing)

Aura: 73%

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
Slugfests are fun and all, but that's all they are. Slugfests. Rufus is definitely as well-versed in hand-to-hand as she is, so they're gonna be pretty equally matched until the very end - so it's maybe time to do something to make that gap a little wider.

Thankfully, there's a couple of trenches behind Rufus that are bound to fill with lava pretty quickly, if they haven't already.

Jima takes a step back just in time to avoid the uppercut to the jaw as it whistles by, barely a centimeter from her jawline. Instead of keeping up the relentless assault with her morningstar, there's a noticable clacking sound as the chain retracts back into the body of the mace. She moves in to bring the mace as if she's going to return the favor with another uppercut, but if Rufus goes to try to block it, he'll find it's a feint-  instead being thwacked in the head as Jima flat-up headbutts him, followed by now-open head of Goliath pressed into his gut, firing off a point-blank shotgun blast that'll hopefully send him reeling back.

Attack Log:
Feint Uppercut (Chance to misdirect any retaliation)
Headbutt (2%)
Point-Blank Shotgun Blast (7%)

Jima's Combat Stats:
Aura: 82%

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
The feint catches Rufus off-guard - something he'd scold himself over later. And, as Jima could have expected, the shotgun blast sends Rufus flying back - almost a bit too far, actually. Almost as if he had flown away willingly...

Jima wasn't the only one to notice the trench filling with lava behind the boy. Getting thrown back like this is the perfect opportunity for Rufus to try out his own move, despite the pain he was in from her attack. The boy jumps back further, across the trench. He could feel its seering heat as he went over it.

Where he stood now, he didn't really have a way to directly attack - and all he could do was dodge the shotgun shots if Jima were to send any his way. But if she were to just pepper him with shots there, that'd be his own problem to deal with. For now, he would wait.

Aura: 64%

My good ole AMA