Author Topic: First Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aca Roth vs. Smokey Emberstone  (Read 4986 times)

Skylia

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    O kawaii koto
    • View Profile
“Good afternoon friends, competitors, and sponsors alike and welcome back to the forty-first bi-annual Vytal Festival tournament!” a refined and silvery female voice would say through the arena’s sound system, still using the generic intro script that she was given. "Today we’re very proud to present our first match containing a student from Haven academy! In this match of the first year 1v1 bracket we have Aca...zilla Nahualli-Roth, the exotic looking young lady from Haven who can turn anything into a yoyo! Fighting against her we have Smokey Emberstone, the immovable object part of that...one paradox!” Turning to her partner in the booth, Prim would ask “Any thoughts on these two surely wonderful combatants, Hunter?”hoping that he had miraculously adopted a new refined personality. Also in hopes that nobody had noticed her very likely mispronunciation of Aca’s name.

A brief, yet awkward pause fills the arena. ”Exotic as in…” Hunter’s struggle for words can be felt by the arena. Then, a tired sigh was let out as he decided to give up on being polite. ”Alright, I’ll be honest. She looks really, really dumb. Congrats on being a non-Beacon student though!” With Hunter understanding his response would only bring about his demise and that any delay would only worsen his fate, he exaggerates a spinning motion as the large holographic image of a lottery machine appears on all sides of the arena, with two spinners. The spinners spun so quickly, making it nearly impossible to make out the passing words. It ticked through the options slower and slower until it finally stopped on Savannah and Wind Dust Field.

The floor of the arena lowered and, in its place, arose two new floors. On Aca’s side, large patches of wildgrass filled that part of the arena. Numerous Acacia trees litter the environment. If one was not careful, this area can be dangerous for those unaware. As for Smokey, he would have to deal with rough and coarse dirt, full of wind dust crystals ready to release their flurry of energy.

As the spinner finished its job and faded away, the doors on each side of the arena opened to signify the start of the match.

(A coin flip has decided that Aca will get the first post. The arena size is identical to that of the 1v1 arena in the show, however, it features scaled down biomes to fit the size. Good luck, and may the best combatant win.)
Lucina Archaletta - The Haughty Hipster - 1st Year Beacon Student on Team ALIA

Vanilla Stella-Maris - The Indomitable Idol - Special Operations Combat Idol  - WiP

Primrose Palatine - The Dexterous Duelist - Atlesian Professor of Combat Flow - WiP

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Re: First Year 1v1 bracket- Round 1: Aca Roth vs. Smokey Emberstone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Aca deflated a little as she stepped out onto the field. She didn't look dumb... Right? Right. Who cared what those announcers said, the guy was probably some shut in and the girl was clearly some Atlesian heiress born with a silver spoon or something like... That...

Oh.

The wild grass of the field reached above her head and stretched, well, as far she could see. Not that it was far. This was going to be a bit annoying.

She heft her weapon up and laid the flat side on her shoulder, no sense lugging it around when she couldn't even see her opponent. She patted her satchel and backpack once more for reassurance, plenty of saw blades for the fight, that wouldn't be a problem. There wasn't really anything she could do right now other than, well...

She lifted her free hand up out of the grass and waved frantically as she yelled out "HI THERE SMOKEY!" with that out of the way she quickly lowered her hand and crouched down as she slowly and deliberately started moving to the left. No sense staying where she was if the other guy had a gun or something.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:00:36 PM by Dr. Gustave »
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
Smokey stepped out of the corridor cautiously, examining his surroundings.  There is coarse dirt all around him on this end, populated with what appear to be wind crystals.  That's not really a problem for him, 'cause, ya know.  Immovable.  Though it might prove troublesome to an opponent...

On the other end, there were a few trees and a lot of tall grass.  Like, really tall grass.  Infuriatingly tall grass.  Why does everything have to be taller than Smokey?  Smokey was about to start grumbling under his breath when a hand shot out of the grass, as well as a very enthusiastic greeting.

"Uh...hi," Smokey responded, caught a little off-guard.  There's a beat of silence afterwards, as the grass sways in the breeze.

"Soooo, are we doin' this or what? Smokey asks awkwardly as he makes his way to the center of the ring, Matchstick loaded and resting on his shoulder. 
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:25:02 AM »
Aca paused and scrunched up her mouth. It would be dangerous to speak up again and give away her position once more. Her opponent might be using her response to find her and shoot at her, that would be bad. She'd be at a serious disadvantage and she wouldn't have even seen her opponent yet! On the other hand, it would be pretty rude not to respond...

She lifted her weapon off her shoulder and drove the top down into the ground, positioning the flat of the blade toward where the voice had come from and stood behind it, trying to contort her body to fully, or mostly, be protected by the weapon.

"Well, uh.." She began to call out, "I can't really see you? And, not to be mean, but I'm pretty sure of I leave the grass you're gonna shoot me or ambush me or something."

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
"No shit, I'm gonna shoot you, it's a fight!  What do you want me to do, throw you a tea party?" he retorted, trying to resist the urge to face palm.  Her response does point Smokey in Aca's direction, though.  Turning to face the direction the sound came from, Smokey got a nasty idea. 

Reaching into his coat, he pulls out his cartridge of fire dust and loads it into Matchstick.  He then calls back out to the disembodied voice in the grass, "Alright, here's the deal.  You're either going to come out of that grass and hit me, or I'm setting this field on fire.  Your call."
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
Aca frowned. "Well that's not nice!" she called out as she lifted her blade out of the ground and flicked a switch, letting all but one saw blade fall to the ground and running her finger across them as they fell. "Just-- ugh-- one second!"

Aca lifted her sword and heft it behind her, widening it up. She can't see her opponent, but she could hear him. She knew the general direction of and it didn't sound like he'd moved from the first time he answered her. She tightened her grip on Slinger as she adjusted her aim slightly to the left... A bit up... Account for drop of the saw blade... Account for the grass getting in the way... Gods, how do you even do that? Whatever.

"Coming!" she called out as she ripped her blade forward, bending the grass out of its way and sending a saw blade sailing through it, cutting blade after blade, where she hoped her opponent was. As soon as the saw blade left her weapon and she finished the follow through, she sprinted through the grass straight ahead, popping out hopefully some distance to Smokey's right with her weapon raised, one hand on the grip and the other on the slot hoping to better let her move the weapon if she needed to block an attack.

Aura: 100/100
Saw Blade: 7%

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Smokey waited patiently.  Well, about as patiently as Smokey could muster.  He figured he'd give his opponent five seconds before he unleashed Matchstick's full power on this poor, defenseless field of inexplicably tall grass.  One...Two...Three--

An object comes flying at him from out of the field, catching Smokey completely off-guard.  Raising his arm to shield his face, the disc-like object hits its mark, slashing his arm before flying past him.  "The hell was that?" is all Smokey managed to get out before his opponent finally reveals herself.  The announcers were right: she does look kinda dumb.  But that's not really relevant right now.

Smokey, eager to finally get started, activates his semblance while pointing his revolver down range.  "Nice toy, but try this one on for size," he says dryly as he pulls the trigger.   It's time to finally get this show on the road.

Combat data:
Aura: 93%
Semblance: ACTIVATED! 25 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN!
Matchstick: 6/7
Dust: 13/14 Fire, 14/14 Ice

Attack: Matchstick Round (15% + 5% Fire)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:23:02 AM by ReaperJoe »

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 03:42:30 PM »
As soon as Aca saw and heard Smokey, she brought her blade between herself and her opponent. She then poked her head out and began to say "Saw bla-AGH" as she got a face full of flaming bullets. Note to self, do not poke head out.

"One, that hurt. Two, saw blades. Three, you didn't even flinch! Is that why they called you immovable?" The girl questioned as she circled around into the wind Dust field, paying special care to keep her sword between her and Smokey and to avoid any obvious Dust crystals.

"Do you have a sword or something? I'd really prefer that!"

Matchlock damage: 20 - 4 for shielded body
Aura: 84/100

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:24:56 AM »
Smokey casually moved toward Aca as she circled around, making sure he keeps within Matchstick's range.  If she's not going to hit him, she's going to be in for a short fight.  Still, no reason to ignore her.  "One, it's supposed to.  It's a gun.  Two, that's...unconventional.  Three, partly," Smokey said, phrasing his response to mirror his opponent's.  "Unfortunately, I don't have a sword.  Just this gun and that gun," he continues, tossing a thumb behind his back to the strange contraption strapped to his back. 

"Anyways..." Smokey points his gun again and fires once more. 

Combat data:
Aura: 93%
Semblance: ACTIVATED! 20 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN!
Matchstick: 5/7
Dust: 12/14 Fire, 14/14 Ice

Attack: Matchstick Round (15% + 5% Fire)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 12:53:50 AM »
Aca jumped slightly as two bullets grazed her legs while fire rushed over her body and an explosion of wind dust went off somewhere far behind her. She was getting tired of being singed. It didn't matter though! She was right where she wanted to be, a little to the right and across from where she had entered into the stage. Glancing to one side, she caught the glint of the saw blade she'd launched a ways away.

She poked her head out again, just far enough to where her eyes could see past the edge of the blade. "Well, Mr. Partially Immovable, I'm gonna see how tough you really are!" And without any more pretense, she hid her self back beneath the sword and charged forward, aiming to crash directly into Smokey.

Matchstick Damage: 20 - 13 from shielding
Aura: 77%
Charge: 4%

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 01:21:25 AM »
"...That's a mistake..." Smokey muttered under his breath as Aca ran toward him.  He seems really relaxed about his opponent's charge, even resting Matchstick on his shoulder.  If his opponent is going to charge straight into point blank range, that works fine for him. 

Waiting for her to get closer and closer, Smokey drops his own shoulder at the last minute and counters Aca's charge with his own, wrapping his arm around her and trying to tackle her to the ground and falling on top of her.  If he's successful, Aca will have an Immovable Object keeping her from running away, meaning all Smokey has to do is fan the hammer at point blank range and win.  Something in the back of his mind is thinking this might be too easy, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Combat data:
Aura: 91%  (Immovable Object damage resistance: 4%/2)
Semblance: ACTIVATED! 15 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN!
Matchstick: 5/7
Dust: 12/14 Fire, 14/14 Ice

Attack: Tackle (4% and immobilized by an object that just won't budge)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 01:43:41 AM »
The wind left Aca's lungs as she was tackled to the ground. Not exactly to plan, maybe, but she was still on track. She thinks.

"That's-" she began to sputter out before taking in as deep a breath as she could, "You're really heavy..." She squeezed out. "I don't think... I'm gonna make it..." She breathed out as she lifted her left hand and gently placed it against her opponent's cheek, partially blocking his right eye while she let go of her weapon with the other lifted it to the side. "Tell my family..." Her hand began to glow a faint red color. "I love them..."

Aca quickly pulled her hand away and more toward her right, or as much as she could, just in time for the saw blade that had come flying from behind her to sail toward Smokey's face. Behind the pair, another saw blade sailed toward her right hand.

Aura: 73/100
Saw Blade: 7%

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »
After taking her down, Smokey quickly moved Aca's weapon aside.  Smokey's gun was already pressed against her chest, ready to finish the fight and move on.  With the barrel influenced by Immovable Object, Aca had no way to block Matchstick's firepower.  All he had to do was squeeze the trigger, fan the hammer, and claim victory.  But he stopped.  This strange, possibly mentally-unstable woman was acting like she was in a bad B-movie death sequence. "Uhhh--" 

CLANG!

A saw blade collides into Smokey's face.  He doesn't budge.  It still hurt, but at this point, he's more annoyed than anything, and he stares icily at the girl who pulled this last-ditch prank.  "...I'm going to shoot you now," he says with a dismissive sniff as he shoves Matchstick's barrel as hard as he can into her chest.   Placing his other hand on the hammer of the revolver, Smokey pulls the trigger and fans the hammer twice, for a total of three shots.

Combat data:
Aura: 84%
Semblance: ACTIVATED! 10 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN!
Matchstick: 2/7
Dust: 9/14 Fire, 14/14 Ice

Attack: 3 Matchstick point-blank shots ((20[+5 from being at point blank] + 5 Fire) x 3)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:00:58 AM by ReaperJoe »

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »
Aca really shouldn't have engaged so close. This wasn't even interesting! He was just pinning her to the-

"...I'm going to shoot you now,"

Ah. Well.

Aca felt the barrel of the gun press harder against her chest and in the same moment, the violent sting of the saw blade finding its place in her hand. Under normal circumstances, she could just selectively drop her aura around her left palm to catch the sawblades without damaging her aura. These were not normal circumstances. But, you know what? Fuck it. If she was going to go all in, she was going to go all in.

The next few seconds were a wash of pain, adrenaline, and prayer. She shot her hand toward Smokey's face, aiming to cover his eyes as her hand flared with her semblance once more, even if she couldn't win she was sure to get as many hits in as she could. At the same time, she brought her right hand with the saw blade down to her chest and felt the explosive pain of a shot discharging into her. She didn't need to be a genius to know that had her aura not been up, she would be dead. She grit her teeth and sucked her chest in, biting back a scream of pain while she slipped the blade between her chest and the barrel, shortly followed by two more shots slamming into the metal and denting it inward toward her body.

"That all... you got...?" She wheezed out through pained breaths as the three remaining saw blades arced through the air behind Smokey.

Two ways this could go. He would either punch her to death, or he'd be distracted by the saw blades and the one blocking his gun and try to move it. She really, really hoped it was the latter.

Matchstick -20
Sawblade -7
Aura: 46/100
Saw blades X3: 21%

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:57 AM »
[Grab granted by Gus]

Smokey awaited the buzzer to signify his victory.  It never came.  Instead, his vision was blocked by what should've been a downed opponent's hand and three more saw blades collided into him from behind.  Well then...

Looking down, Smokey saw the culprit denying him his victory.  Somehow, despite being pinned against the ground, Aca had managed to slip a saw blade in-between Matchstick's barrel and her chest.  He has literally no idea how she managed to do that, but right now, the "how" is irrelevant.  He'll just have to deal with it. 

And deal with it he does.  Instead of trying to move the barrel to find a clear shot, he simply presses Matchstick further into the blade, pinning it to Aca.  With his free hand, he grabs Aca's face and lifts up her head.  "We could have done this the easy way, ya know," he mutters as he slams his opponent's head back into the ground with aura-enhanced strength.  He picks it back up and slams it again.  And then a third time.  This probably isn't the fight to show the kids at home...

Combat data:
Aura: 63%
Semblance: ACTIVATED! 5 SECONDS REMAINING AT START OF NEXT TURN!
Matchstick: 2/7
Dust: 9/14 Fire, 14/14 Ice

Attack: 3 Aura-enhanced head slams (7% x3)

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400