Author Topic: Thread Interests  (Read 7028 times)

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
Thread Interests
« on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:06 AM »
What kind of thread would most of you find enjoyable and productive? Some enjoy slaying grimm, some enjoy developing relationships, others like story driven stuff. So, what kind of threads would appeal to the lot of you and which ones are kinda boring?
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
Re: Thread Interests
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »
I think a good mix of all is necessary for full enjoyment of my characters. Sure, a mission is fun once in a while, but life - even that of an Academy student - is rarely about punching an Ursa's lights out rather than hanging out with friends and developing relationships. Those threads are, by far, the ones with the most potential as they can evolve into an all-out brawl just as well as a tender, romantic moment or even be a key plot point in someone's unseen storyline they have planned..
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
gotta agree with Nathan that all of the above are good. There do seem to be a distinct lack of missions currently so seeing more of them would be good.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Uncouth T-Rex

• Personal Text
    Unofficial Forum Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
I just try and start drama and toy with everyone's emotions.

It's worked out well so far.
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with your God.

Character List:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Marlon Murk-Leader of Team MRKD (Marked) "The power of the night, the press of the storm, The post of the foe; Where he stands, the Arch Fear in a visible form, Yet the strong man must go..."-Prospice, Robert Browning

Cheri Chanson-Team AFMC (Afirmacion) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” -Bob Marley

Jack Pettibone-Leader of Team JCRA (Jackrabbit) "In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story."-Barney Stinson

Cherry Chainsaw "Wake up, I'm a bullet loosed Into the heart of a wretched age, I breathe just to beat and bruise, an evolution of the burnin' rage!"-Miracle of Sound, Hell to Pay

Professor Siobhan Clannad-Personal Finance and Home Economics Professor at Beacon Academy "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Unknown, often attributed to Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Professor Feltch Hatterly Criminal and International Law Professor at Beacon Academy "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."-G.K. Chesterton

Professor Scarlet Vandal Weapons Engineering and Design Professor at Beacon Academy "Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull."-W. Somerset Maugham

Character AMA here, Personal AMA here, Character/Plot Timeline here, Descent into Madness here

If you ever need writing advice, be it for a post, a plot, or a character, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! PM me if you need someone to DM Grimm or NPCs, or need my Professors in your threads, though my ability to help with that depends on my free time!

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
The best kind of thread is the kind that's closed until you abuse your admin powers and ruin their whole day. character development is cool, but sometimes people need to remember that character development isn't ONLY achieved through pages and pages of back and forth. Sometimes it's achieved by decisions in the field. Missions are important, but are easy to be viewed as cookie cutter, and because of that I can see some people thinking "Why should I write out this thread? I know what's gonna happen." Hopefully we can get some creative missions out there soon.  I know personally, the White Fang event line I have planned will be purely out of school until probably the end of the first arc.
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
I enjoy slice-of-life threads set in interesting or unique places, particularly ones that lets you view your character from a perspective you haven't thought about before. For example, putting Izumi into an arcade thread was fun to do even if it was short-lived. Both of her old cafe threads are also among my favorite threads for her.
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization

Viventium Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »
Honestly I'd like to see more threads where things matter more. Too often there are character interactions for the sake of character interactions, and once the characters in question get to know each other a little, the thread dies. It'd be cool to see developing rivalries or relationships that affect interactions and change over time. Then again, that's just what I've seen, and I don't see a whole lot of the threads out there.
My Characters: ShowHide

Azrail Duivel Kind (Deceased) 3rd year lightning reaper -  teamless
Reaper's Spear I summon thee
To smite my foes and enemies.
Lightning's wrath in darkness grasped
Delivers swift eternity.

-Azrail Duivel Kind
Drevin Srebra 1st year speed demon - #347C2C - teamless

Brond Osilgrin - #B22222 - fully fledged hunter/walking bonfire

Rix "Deadshot" Maradis (currently unapproved) 1st year coder/sniper - #157DEC & Tess #79BAEC - teamless

Project t17: restrained - glow #D41A1F color #121212 - the chupacabra of Vale

Zitham Degas - #E31230 - "At the end of the day, as long as there are two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead."

AMCA (ask my characters anything)

AMA (ask me anything)

My Weird Pseudo-Plot

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
On the opposite end, a thread where the characters lose. They don't beat the bad guy. People are lost. Consequences occur.

Viventium Umbra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 12:52:02 PM »
On the opposite end, a thread where the characters lose. They don't beat the bad guy. People are lost. Consequences occur.

Yes! This is what made volume 3 so shocking and effective!
My Characters: ShowHide

Azrail Duivel Kind (Deceased) 3rd year lightning reaper -  teamless
Reaper's Spear I summon thee
To smite my foes and enemies.
Lightning's wrath in darkness grasped
Delivers swift eternity.

-Azrail Duivel Kind
Drevin Srebra 1st year speed demon - #347C2C - teamless

Brond Osilgrin - #B22222 - fully fledged hunter/walking bonfire

Rix "Deadshot" Maradis (currently unapproved) 1st year coder/sniper - #157DEC & Tess #79BAEC - teamless

Project t17: restrained - glow #D41A1F color #121212 - the chupacabra of Vale

Zitham Degas - #E31230 - "At the end of the day, as long as there are two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead."

AMCA (ask my characters anything)

AMA (ask me anything)

My Weird Pseudo-Plot

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
Problem with dire consequences is that the threads "need" to be most recent in character history, quotes because retconning is a thing but not really ideal.
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    The Destroyer of Dreams & Expectations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
I personally like threads where personalities are seen as well as some of the backstory of characters are seen. I personally had a thread with one other character where both of our characters are the non-talking type so we literally did a whole thread where the reader would see what is going through both character's minds as they try to portray their thoughts into words and fail. That was one of my favorite threads by far.

Aside from that, I do love a good mission thread where a lot of killing of Grimm is involved. It's good to see the extent of a character's abilities as well as their struggles in the mission.

Just to throw this out there for everyone: if you guys are wanting more mission threads (as it seems like some of you do), please feel free to PM me and I can have my Professor create a mission for you. I will do my best to try and create more mission based threads for teams or even for a random group of people.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

Uncouth T-Rex

• Personal Text
    Unofficial Forum Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
Okay, I'm no longer cracking a joke.

I manage to squeeze reveals, character development, and all that, into every thread I'm in, for the most part. Sometimes they're tiny, other times they're huge. One thing's for certain, I do have lengthy plots going, and I'm currently setting things up, piece by piece. I'm not my DnD group's DM for nothing.

Once I get a little more setup, and wrap up some of the threads I'm currently in, you can expect a whole lot more variety from me. I intend to make it one heck of a ride. For those of you in my threads, you should have already felt the rumble.

Oh, and about the good guys losing? It has to happen, it has to be hard, and it has to take no prisoners. Otherwise there's nothing to rise from.
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with your God.

Character List:
Marlon Murk-Leader of Team MRKD (Marked) "The power of the night, the press of the storm, The post of the foe; Where he stands, the Arch Fear in a visible form, Yet the strong man must go..."-Prospice, Robert Browning

Cheri Chanson-Team AFMC (Afirmacion) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” -Bob Marley

Jack Pettibone-Leader of Team JCRA (Jackrabbit) "In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story."-Barney Stinson

Cherry Chainsaw "Wake up, I'm a bullet loosed Into the heart of a wretched age, I breathe just to beat and bruise, an evolution of the burnin' rage!"-Miracle of Sound, Hell to Pay

Professor Siobhan Clannad-Personal Finance and Home Economics Professor at Beacon Academy "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Unknown, often attributed to Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Professor Feltch Hatterly Criminal and International Law Professor at Beacon Academy "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."-G.K. Chesterton

Professor Scarlet Vandal Weapons Engineering and Design Professor at Beacon Academy "Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull."-W. Somerset Maugham

Character AMA here, Personal AMA here, Character/Plot Timeline here, Descent into Madness here

If you ever need writing advice, be it for a post, a plot, or a character, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! PM me if you need someone to DM Grimm or NPCs, or need my Professors in your threads, though my ability to help with that depends on my free time!

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 09:58:17 PM »
I think what might even be better than the good guys losing is the good guys losing to the PUBLIC. That they tried their hardest and fought for what they believed was good, but then the public sees and just sees that they massively fucked up.

Oh. And as for the... no coming back... expect more of that from "late game" White Fang.

Azure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
I myself like a lot of development. I'm a sucker for word lust on previous iterations of the RPG, and really do enjoy slice-of-life threads more than the idea of fighting. A goal of mine would be probably similar to T-Rex in a way; people dropping hints, having minor developments, letting things come to a head over an 'arc' or something would be a fun thing. There was a lot of allure of that way back, and to see it making a return in both IRC and on the board feels good. It's a great strong step forward by a lot of people so far, so to see things hit the ground running has been quite the event of it's own.

I try not to be picky, but I also immensely prefer paragraph-play in threads as well. It might be the aim of this thread per say, but I did want to at least mention that I do appreciate those who do 'long-form', 'story-form', or whatever it's referred to now. It would be cool to have a paragraph-only thread or something in the future as a way to challenge people to write out and explore more per post.

Queso

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
I do kinda enjoy mission/combat threads, but the issue with most of them is that they usually end up with just pages of repetitive Grimm slaying. I believe a good mission thread should involve a lot of interaction between the combatants, both in and out of fighting sequences, roleplaying the travelling and/or camping aspect of the mission for example.
But yeah, as others have already stated ITT, I'd like to see combat threads, either PVP or PVNPC, where one of the player-controlled characters/parties actually loses and has to deal with the consequences. (Getting kidnapped and interrogated by the WF, for example).This kinda stuff unfortunately doesn't work too well with Grimm, because loosing to Grimm usually results in death and nothing extra.

PVP stuff can be good sometimes, but it's usually 'Meh' due to both parties wanting to win heavily.

Also kinky google docs-based lewd threads.