Author Topic: unamed. help greatly appreciated.  (Read 4238 times)

sasukerr14

• View Profile
unamed. help greatly appreciated.
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:27:32 PM »
 As a kid I played a good bit of dnd with my dad and siblings. My favorite has always been the monk. Being able to stand as equals with powerful wizards and gigantic barbarians while using only his fists has always seemed amazing to me.              Simply put my idea is a guy that has no weapons but through his martial prowess  is able to stand as an equal to the other members of his team.  I also had the idea that at 18 he would be a heavy smoker.           I do not have much more than that. Help is very much appreciated.

CHARACTER

Name:

Species and Gender: Human. Male

Symbol: A dark red mess of lines branded into the right half of his face called the mark.

Appearance: Basic colored pants and long sleeved shirt.

History: Exiled from his home farming village after being accused of killing his brother he spent a few years developing his skills as a nomad before applying for combat school.

Personality: Quiet and calm most of the time preffering to be left alone.

Aura and Semblance: His semblance is the ability to swap places with either aura-less objects(such as Grimm, cigarettes, and aura- broken teammates) or with anyone that has 'registered' his aura into their own. To register his aura is a relatively simple process that requires stated permission on both parts and a few seconds of concentration to do, this will expire after 3 hours. The actual action requires 2 seconds of intense focus and doesnt work if one of the two would end up phasing into a solid object. Any momentum the swap subjects had will be completely eliminated when the swap takes place. Swapping stamina drain is dependent on the mediums in which both targets reside and the mass of said target. For example swapping with a teammate underwater would cause more stamina drain than swapping with the same person in open air, and swapping with a cigarette uses less than swapping with a grimm.  The range of this semblance is 5 meters.

Combat behavior: He has above average strength and speed and is good at close quarters combat but is useless at range.

WEAPON
name: n/a
primaryform: none
secondaryform:
tertiaryform:
dustfunctions:
history:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:03:45 PM by sasukerr14 »

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
Re: unamed. help greatly appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
Hmm. Well for what you have so far, I'd say that swapping with anything may be considered OP - don't quote me on this, though. I'd suggest going for something of a similar volume, not protected by Aura. You can cite the volume and a maximum size difference percentage if you want. Actually, they may ask about that, so add it just in case.

I'd also recommend you start with the Character Template. Even if empty, it's what you're going to need.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
I really like the idea that the swap target cannot be someone or something protected by aura. I was thinking this way he couldnt just swap with anything but if a team member were to run out of aura while fighting grim he could swap with them to protect them by taking the hit. i also was hoping to add more restrictions. and could you please explain more about the volume percentage part, im not sure i fully understand. maybe an example? and next edit i make ill be sure to add template. i just figured since i dont have much so far it would be easier to understand as text. btw any ideas on how it would affect momentum? ie swapping with a thrown rock, would they swap momentum or would the rock continue on its trajectory or would he somehow be able to control the momentums?

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
Keep it single-faceted: momentum isn't affected, meaning he'd swap momentum and place with an object. As for the volume part, here: suppose your character is a 1 m - wide cube (yes, not realistic, but beginner physics rarely involve something other than spherical cows on infinite frictionless planes). A percentage limit means that he couldn't swap with something either X% larger or Y% smaller. Personally, I suggest being really severe on the Y, less for balance and more so he doesn't end up in a space he can't fit in, which may or may not kill him or her instantly. Apart from that, it would mean that Guy can swap with something (let's say the percentage limit is 10% for the sake of example) larger than 1.1 cubic metres.

Do keep in mind that whatever the semblance, it needs to be balanced for his/her age and past.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »
so for the percentage thing it would the idea of swapping with a tossed cigar or something would be impossible? what if the way the swapping worked is that he would swap the air around the object he was swapping with in the exact parameters of his body but if there was anything obstructive in that space the swap just wouldnt work? or maybe the larger the item he swaps with the more aura it uses. please let me know if what im saying is op because i cant tell. i can only think of small uses so please let me know whats op or an op use of this so ican better understand and work on scaling it down.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
I'd say "something and the air around it" is too vague. Maybe when the bloke's a seasoned Huntsman, but not before. Ultimately, mods are millions of times better at this than me.

Flesh out the rest, too. Semblance is good and since you've got a general idea of it, I'd try and write down at least a vague flyby of everything else before continuing.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
the issue is that all i really have is the fighting style and semblance. The character started as just a combination of my personal favorite things. a fighting style of unarmed and a semblance that involves teleportation. i guess i could also add that his inspiration would be caine from the story of caine and abel but thats pretty much it. im looking for help making whats currently just an idea into a fully fleshed out character

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »
Sadly, or not, a character is something that you mostly need to make on your own. You can ask your friends, IRL or not, for a few decent suggestions, but it'll mostly be up to you.

Fret not, for I know you can do it.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
any additional help on working out the specifics of the semblance will help alot.

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:06 AM »
Not sure how the "willing" part of thhe semblance would work or if that should be changed somehow. also i suck at names so a name and aura color, or at least some suggestions, would really help.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Names are optional and usually color depends on either the Personality or Name, example being that a hot-tempered person or a person named Pepper both could have an aura color of red.

Keep it single-faceted: momentum isn't affected, meaning he'd swap momentum and place with an object. As for the volume part, here: suppose your character is a 1 m - wide cube (yes, not realistic, but beginner physics rarely involve something other than spherical cows on infinite frictionless planes). A percentage limit means that he couldn't swap with something either X% larger or Y% smaller. Personally, I suggest being really severe on the Y, less for balance and more so he doesn't end up in a space he can't fit in, which may or may not kill him or her instantly. Apart from that, it would mean that Guy can swap with something (let's say the percentage limit is 10% for the sake of example) larger than 1.1 cubic metres.

Do keep in mind that whatever the semblance, it needs to be balanced for his/her age and past.
I really like the idea that the swap target cannot be someone or something protected by aura. I was thinking this way he couldnt just swap with anything but if a team member were to run out of aura while fighting grim he could swap with them to protect them by taking the hit. i also was hoping to add more restrictions. and could you please explain more about the volume percentage part, im not sure i fully understand. maybe an example? and next edit i make ill be sure to add template. i just figured since i dont have much so far it would be easier to understand as text. btw any ideas on how it would affect momentum? ie swapping with a thrown rock, would they swap momentum or would the rock continue on its trajectory or would he somehow be able to control the momentums?

Have semblance kill momentum of both upon swap (prevents momentum shenanigans). Have it so that semblance doesn't work if one of the two would end up phasing into a solid object. If you really want to get technical (I wouldn't advise it), swapping swaps two equally-sized rectangular prisms, the size being large enough to fit the largest target being swapped. Air is easiest to swap in due to low density and free motion of molecules. Liquids much harder because higher density and because molecules more organized then gas in space. Swapping air and water puts the stamina drain somewhere in the middle.

Also, I sort of winged that explanation so I wouldn't be surprised if I misspoke or got some details wrong.

More balance things: Swapping requires a second or two of intense focus (prevents rapid and sporadic swapping), swapping can happen with aura-less objects (Grimm, cigarettes, aura-broken teammates), swapping can be done with anyone that has 'registered' his aura into their own (expires after some time, can be refreshed), swapping stamina drain is dependent on the mediums in which both targets reside and the density or mass of said targets, and swapping can only be done in some limited range.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:53:17 PM by Kaliot »
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization

sasukerr14

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »
Thank you. You addressed everything in a clear and understandable way and i really appreciate it. Im just a little worried that i just copied wat u said and that i might have made it too vague. If theres something ii have in there thats too vague or if something importants missing lemme know. otherwise i think his semblance is finished so ill move on to actually fleshing him out.