Author Topic: Caoimhe Murtagh  (Read 2897 times)

Marticus

• View Profile
Caoimhe Murtagh
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
CHARACTER

Name:
Caoimhe Murtagh

Species and Gender:
Female Human

Symbol:
Two crossed sniper rounds

First Year Beacon Student

Appearance:
Caoimhe is 6'1 and is quite lanky, weighing in at 165 lbs. She's a ginger, and her hair falls around her head and down to her shoulders, making it look like it's been framed by fire. She has sharp, piercing light blue eyes and a tan complexion, with a birthmark on her right cheek. Caoimhe's voice is quite soft when she's not in combat, when it's very sharp and authoritative, or bitchy some might say.  Her normal outfit consists of a hooded black leather jacket with matching black jeans and boots, with a bright pink sleeved crop top that shows off her naval. When the weathers cold, she switches her crop top for a white button up and pink sweater and on bright days, she wears a pair of rimless sunglasses.

History:
Caoimhe was born and raised in a small village on the western edge of the continent of Sanus. The village was your usual affair, small and very close, with a close community. To keep the village safe from Grimm, a huntress, as well as a few members of the Atlas military had moved or retired there, as well as the people who went into the local woodland to hunt for food. Caoimhe's father, Anton, was one of those hunters. For the first few years of her life, Caoimhe's life was a routine of waking up, helping her mother Caitriona with the housework, playing with the other kids and waiting for her father to come home fro his hunts. Simple and happy.

However, that was to change, as, when Caoimhe was eleven, her mother caught ill, and despite the best efforts of the local physician, she passed away. After this, Caoimhe's father became a lot colder and less loving. He started to take Caoimhe on his hunts, paranoid that he'd lose her the way he lost her mother. He taught her how to shoot, and stalk prey, and lay traps, and everything else a person needed to catch dinner. Eventually, by the age of fourteen, Caoimhe's skill with a rifle was equal to anyone else's in the village. When her father realised this, he went to the huntress in the village, and begged her to take Caoimhe on as an apprentice, offering the best of his kills as payment. She accepted, and decided to give Caoimhe a real weapon: the rifle of one of her previous teammates, who'd passed away and had her down as his next of kin. The huntress taught Caoimhe how to take the rifle apart and rebuild it until she could do it blind, and, when she was satisfied, set her a challenge. If she could hit her with a single shot, she would mentor Caoimhe and make her into a huntress in training.

Caoimhe though, had no intention of becoming a huntress, preferring to stay in the village and mind her father, who was still grieving for his wife. However, by sheer accident, in an attempt to whiff the challenge, Caoimhe's bullet ricocheted off of a boulder and clipped the huntress' ankle mid dodge. And so Caoimhe got her new, unwanted mentor. The years continued to pass, with Caoimhe's new routine being hunting for food, hunting for Grimm with her mentor, and keeping her family home in order while her father went out on increasingly longer hunting trips.

When the huntress decided Caoimhe was ready to go to an Academy, she went to her father, and told him in no uncertain terms that if Caoimhe didn't leave the village and make use of her skills, she'd kick his ass. And he agreed with her, both for her reasons, and the fact that, even after all that time, seeing Caoimhe reminded him of his late wife, and he found it painful. So they banded together, convinced Caoimhe to go to Beacon, and practically pushed her onto the airship. Caoimhe managed to pass the entrance exam, though she did almost shoot one of the overseers when she used her semblance for the first time and didn't expect her to not move.

Personality:
Caoimhe is sweet and flirty, and has been described as very airheaded, liking to ask hypothetical questions or point out things that she notices. She has a flowery speech pattern, using a lot of metaphors and rhyme to enhance herself and make things sound better. She's confident and tries to maintain her appearance of a carefree flirt at all times, disliking the feeling of being stressed, scared or just annoyed. She's usually willing to help and take care of people too, though her methods lean more towards distracting them then actually trying to sort out their problems. Caoimhe maintains this playfulness and flirty attitude in combat, continuing to spout out her normal babble and cheery nonsense.

Caoimhe still grieves for her mother, and is sad whenever she is mentioned. Likewise, she feels only pity for her father, and the grief that caused him to help send her to Beacon.

Aura and Semblance:
Caoimhe's aura is salmon in color.

Caoimhe's semblance is the ability to make intangible objects with her aura. This objects can be highly detailed and elaborate, or simplistic, such as flowers, leaves and butterflies. Caoimhe's semblance has no real combat use.

Combat Behavior:
Caoimhe's a sniper, plain and simple. She likes to take things slow, set up a plan, and go through it without deviation. She's ruthless and methodical in the field, always going for the quickest, most efficient way of ending a fight. Her gun, Regret, has the stopping power to engage highly armoured targets, but is slow and cumbersome, making it difficult to wield at close range. Caoimhe also lacks skill in hand to hand co-ordination, and would easily be considered clumsy and awkward in any movement that wasn't shooting. Her hand to hand combat skills are pretty abysmal, and she attempts to hide during a fight, and avoid close quarters combat altogether.

Weapon

Name:
Magnanimous Regret

Primary Form:
A bolt action anti-material rifle, chambered for five armor piercing .50 calibre rounds at a time. Regret comes with an adjustable bipod and an adjustable scope. It is designed to allow Caoimhe to go toe to toe with larger Grimm such as Deathstalkers and King Taijitu, which most lower calibre weapons would have difficulties damaging, as well as generally ruining people's days. Regret is painted matte black.

History:
The weapon of a former hunstman that Caoimhe received from the retired huntress in her village. Apart from painting it matte black, Caoimhe has made no changes to it.

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
Re: Caoimhe Murtagh
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:40:05 AM »
Currently concerning the location of the village might be a problem. Unlike the mistrali continent which seems to be fairly safe we know for a fact that most things past Vale's major mountain range is terrible territory to live in. Example: Mount Glenn. As far as I know the west seems to be the most favorable region while anything east is reckless and frankly suicidal. Tip, move it west, easy as that and it would justify how such a small population wouldn't die off.

. Eventually, by the age of fourteen, Caoimhe's skill with a rifle surpassed everyone else's in the village.
Wow, they must SUCK. I mean, retired atlesian military men? Huntresses? And a 14 yr old can beat them? Only way I'd believe that is if none of them used a rifle before, which is to say impossible.

Caoimhe's bullet ricocheted off of a tree
Not sure how often that would happen, unless that tree were made of stone or steel. Would make more sense if it hit a large stone or something.

Also, token random huntress picking up stray children.

Not too much wrong in history just...don't go towards mary sue territory by being the 'best shot' in their tiny village with retired military personnel.

Wheew personality

Be consistent! How many times have I seen complete turnaround (or roundabout TO BE CONTINUED) from sweet to a killing machine, it's not interesting it's bad writing. Sweet and flirty then cold and methodical. You can keep it but frankly it's distasteful and won't play well during rp's. Unless she's got split personality(we go plenty of those too just so ya know)

If you're making her flirty, keep her playful even in combat or at least not a bipolar unfeeling machine. And yes i'm exaggerating but if you want to improve your writing you should be Con.sis.tent.

Semblance is extremely iffy, considering time and it's a far cry from her personality. I'm going to have to bring this to staff discussions. Especially since she's slowing down the WHOLE WORLD OH MY GAWD :3 Time is very very very very abuse ready power and we usually don't accept them all willy nilly, expect a lot of potential changes here. Unless of course you pick something that actually fits her character.

Combat Behavior
All it says is she likes sniping. Well, so do a lot of us yay! So now what? How does she react to close combat situations? Does she hide while sniping? Keep her distance? Pointblank sniping? 360 noscopes? Elaborate.

Magnanimous regret, oxymoron..ish.

Oh look, a weapon that can kill big things easily while other people CAN'T do it. No, your weapon can't kill taijutsus and deathstalkers that easily, it took a ginormous hammer in the skull with a grimm's own stinger to kill one in the series while a giant sniper scythe barely fazed a feathered and unarmored giant bird. So no, your sniper WOULD NOT be able to kill a grimm or pierce its armor easily. Also Toe to toe with large grimm? I know .50 cals hurt but I doubt it'll allow a first year student to be able to kill them all by herself. This is bordering mary sue territory.

Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

Marticus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »
Thank you for looking at this.

Changed the location of the village and modified the history slightly, changing the reasons why she was taken on by the huntress and a few other, minor things.

Made the personality more consistent and updated the combat behaviour to include a major weakness to CQC.

Change the semblance entirely. The original idea was a "I want something like this due to a personal interest in the ability" thing, and I really had no problems changing it out.

With the weapon, though, at no point did I say that it could kill those large Grimm. I said that she could go toe to tow with them, the same way that Ruby or Nora could do so better than Blake or Ren, due to the larger calibre of their weapons. I wasn't trying to imply that she could oneshot a Nevermore out of the sky or anything. I was doing this as it's an anti-material rifle, which would normally be used on vehicles and emplacements, that have thicker defences, and as such, would have an easier time with more powerful Grimm than your normal sniper.

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:47 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Anyways, looking good, i think.

+1
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

FunkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
approved