Author Topic: Where There's Smoke... [OPEN]  (Read 13261 times)

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Where There's Smoke... [OPEN]
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 01:13:49 AM »
Jima doesn't even blink as the gun goes off, instead offering him a sincere smile as she extends her hand to take back the handle of her mace - clicking a button so the head retracts back to it's former state. "I don't quite know how that quote is relevant, but it's not particularly wrong. And it's nerves of steel by the way - the truce is appreciated. Gotta admit, you have a lot of potential for a first year, just maybe need to not take out that temper on someone who just wanted to use the weight room. If you put that anger into passion though, I can see you accomplishing some pretty impressive things."

There's an almost-inaudible click as the pyramid on her back is clicked back into place, the need to use it now abated. Now that the worst of it's over, Jima's tone switches to something teasing - trying to ease any remaining tension. "Besides shortstop, the fight was fun. Should do it again sometime, just... somewhere that results in less collateral damage." The grin is audible in her voice as she moves to pass him by, purposefully bumping his hip with hers as she returns to dig through her locker.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:34:31 AM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 01:35:57 AM »
Smokey is...stunned.  Nerves of steel?  Nah, that's not quite right.  She's bonkers.  She has to be. There's no way anyone in their right mind would just laugh off a threat from his gun...right?  Right!  Yeah, totally! 

Like, who goes from trying to bash each other's face in to saying "Good game, call me sometime?"  That's not normal at all! ...Is it? 

As Jima playfully teases him, Smokey just kinda stares slack-jawed at his handiwork, contemplating the last few minutes.  There are a million questions swimming around in his head, but they can all be summarized with one.

"What the hell just happened?"
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
"What part? Where I didn't blink at the fact you destroyed the wall inches from my head, or that I just walked away after all of that?" Jima seems genuinely curious, finishing digging through her locker to pull out a change of clothes and turn around to face Smokey as he stares at a wall. Her vision doesn't visibly shift, as it appears she's just staring a bit blankly, but she seems fairly attentive regardless. "Go ahead with the questions, it's fairly obvious you have them."
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 11:43:18 PM »
"Wait, you heard that?  No, wait--I mean yes, I mean--...Okay, can you at least explain how you're doing that with your voice?" Smokey finally asks after incoherently babbling.  He's still confused about the whole situation, concerned over Jima's seemingly arrogant disregard of Smokey's gun, and generally just feels like the air in the room is way less tense than he thinks it should be.  He might as well just start with the easy questions.

Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 12:03:29 AM »
"Semblance. I'm surprised you didn't figure that out sooner." Her voice is a bit amused, notably remaining perfectly clear as she starts to tug a sweatshirt over her head. "My senses are essentially independent of my body. Sight, smell, touch, taste, and voice. I can basically move them wherever, given it's within 'eyeshot'," she pauses to do airquotes at the word. "And under 50 meters. That's how I can fight with my eyes close - my sight isn't dependent on my physical body. It's also how I knew when the locker was coming so I could position us, or the fact you have a box engraved 'Good News' in your locker as well. Which is actually secured so tightly I can't see in, so you may need to demonstrate that for me later. Literal gun show!"

She pauses, then continues the explanation. "That's also how I saw like, half your attacks coming. It's pretty damn difficult to sneak up on me."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:06:13 AM by Moth »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2018, 12:29:19 AM »
Okay, semblance was his first guess.  For the voice, at least.  He knew that the eyes-closed trick was just that, a trick.  Smokey just didn't know how the trick worked.  And now that he knew, it was kind of irrelevant.  There wasn't anything he could do about it, except maybe kick of cloud of smoke?  No, he was still in fight mode, snap out of it!

His eyes narrow when she mentions looking at Good News.  "Ya know, it's kinda rude to peek in other people's lockers.  But if you really wanna know what's in there..." Smokey walks over to his locker and reaches out for the combination lock.  He pauses for a minute, then looks back at Jima. "I hope this goes without saying, but no peeking on this one," he says before attempting to block all view from the lock with his body as he inputs the combination. 

As he pulls away from the locker, Smokey's carrying a large, complicated-looking...hunk of metal?  It's definitely more than that, but it looks more like some convoluted box rather than a weapon.  He spends a bit of time looking it over, checking gears and knobs.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »
"I may be creepy but I'm a decent person, c'mon." Her voice is mock-offended, watching as he pulls out something that... doesn't look like a gun in the slightest. Huh. Not what she was expecting. "I'll be honest with you, not what I was expecting. That's the least gun-shaped gun I've ever seen, but do go on." She does seem to be sincerely interested though - hopping off the locker to take a closer look at what he was fiddling with.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2018, 12:49:32 AM »
"Hold your horses, I'm almost done," he says as he continues to inspect the...thing.  It doesn't take much longer at least.  Smokey finally looks back at Jima as he flips a switch.

thunk!
whirrrr
shnk!
chk-chk-chk-chk-chk-chk- chk-- chk--....chk

As the box starts to unfurl, it takes the shape of something that also doesn't look like a gun.  It looks more like a cannon that's pretending to be a gun.  Jima's mace could almost fit in the barrel! 

"Remember when I said I was holding the second biggest gun in Beacon?  Well, here's the first."

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »
Jima's eyebrow raises as it unfolds. And continues to unfold. And is now longer than her current weapon. That's... actually fairly impressive. Resisting the urge to make a joke about compensating for something, one arm bends behind her back to unclip the Grab n' Go, while leaning on the locker, still staring at the massive gun."Not bad, shortstuff. Could be a fair contender at least, I'll give you that much. How's her firepower?"

The Grab n' Go is successfully unclipped, and Jima brings the pyramid around to lay it down on the locker while reaching for Goliath. "And since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine - only fair if we're bragging about weaponry."

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 01:15:07 AM »
Not bad?  Not bad?!  "Are you kidding?! This thing can turn Death Stalkers into craters!  I mean, this gun was initially designed for a paladin, for crying out loud!  ...Not that I could actually give you a demonstration," he finishes dejectedly.  He reaches back into Good News' case for a pouch labelled Articles and pulls out an equally gigantic bullet.  At first glance, the casing appears red, but on closer inspection, the casing is clear.  It's just chock-full of a very volatile strain of Fire Dust.

"Unless you got 200 lien and a giant monster you don't mind being liquefied lying around, I can't afford to shoot any of these.  If I did, I might as well hang this gun up on a wall somewhere," Smokey explained.

Smokey's head lifts back up to see Jima--wait, why is she taking off her--oh...Get your mind out of the gutter, you perv

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 01:29:54 AM »
Jima glances down at the bullet, and the eyebrow is raised a little higher. "I'll hit you up when I need something absolutely obliterated, thanks for the offer. And no worries - with the size of that thing, I'll take your word for it. Nodding towards the gun, Jima moves to a standing position, the head of Goliath opening up again. Taking the pyramid, Jima fits the tip of it into the shotgun barrel, before giving it a little twist - and it's secured with a click as she walks to the center of the room.

"This is the Grab n' Go, version 1.1. Used to capture Grimm alive in the field for study, before their head is bashed in. Handles anything up to the size of a medium Ursa." Holding Goliath out in front of her, she braces with two hands and pulls a trigger -

K-THUNK

The pyramid flies across the room at a speed too fast to see, embedding itself in the opposite wall. Four separate grappling hooks have detached from the corners, buried deep in the plaster - there's a visible crater where it came in contact. "Not necessarily safe for use on humans - the 1.0 version left me with scars."

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 01:50:03 AM »
"Wait, scars?  Even through Aura?" Smokey looks back at the Grab n' Go, studying the hooks more closely.  Yeah, they'd definitely hurt, but would it really go that far?  "I'm not doubting you, but you're gonna have to explain how that happened.  And as for capturing Grimm?  I dunno how much good that would do.  Not like you could get very far with a dissection or anything like that.  'Cuz, ya know, poof.  Maybe I don't get it, but if you can capture a Grimm, I don't see why you wouldn't just kill it instead."

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2018, 02:04:22 AM »
"The underside of both 1.0 and 1.1 have a series of barbs that penetrate the hide of whatever it touches so the body stays locked on. The original didn't have a safety feature and there was a misfire when I was testing it one day. Pinned my shoulder to the wall, I was stuck there until a professor came and got me down. The wounds were bad enough the scars stuck and it caught me... very unprepared, I'll say." She wanders back over and leans on the locker again, staring at where the trap was imbedded in the wall.

"And as for capturing them, well... have you wondered about the tattoos yet?" She gestures to the Goliath on her chest, patting the ink fondly.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »
Smokey cringes as Jima explains her mishap with her original contraption.  Sounds like a slow, painful aura drain that turns into a bloody mess once it's gone. 

As for the tattoos, Smokey shrugged, "I thought they were just part of the aesthetic.  I was thinking of gettin' some just like those for each of Good News' kills, just figured yours was something similar."  He's not the type to read too much into things.  He knows people who get tattoos simply because they look cool.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
Jima blinked, apparently needing a moment to process that. "...huh, usually I get a bazillion questions about why I've got my body decorated by Grimm of all things. If you need a guy, I can recommend you my tattoo artist." She turns again, back to staring at the pyramid in the wall. "And well - like you said, dissection is worth shit when it comes to Grimm, so we need some way to be able to study them in the field. I'm just trying to find the best way to do that, and that's my start." She finishes off by nodding towards the Grab n' Go.

"...so what about you? How'd you end up with a gun initially built for a paladin of all things? That's an extreme amount of firepower, especially for a first year."