Author Topic: opening act [Open]  (Read 6648 times)

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
opening act [Open]
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:08:30 AM »
As expected, the first thing Azure did upon arriving at Beacon Academy was to play music. Or, at least, that was her intention. She strolled through the gardens of the school, her thumbs hooked in the front pocket of her jeans as her fingers tapped a rhythm against her thighs. She basked in the warmth of the sun as she meandered carelessly down a path, a light grin on her face. The grin was caused mainly, in part, by the energy of the other students that milled about throughout the gardens. Sure, they weren’t all there for a single purpose, but there was enough that one could call them a crowd; Azure loved crowds. The overall happy atmosphere that filled the air, sickeningly sweet, thick enough to be tangible, was being lapped up by Azure’s semblance, making the wolf girl somewhat delirious. She knew she could block it out if she really wanted-- the emotions weren’t that strong, so they would be easier to ignore-- but she didn’t really want to. It was a good feeling, the smallest hint of euphoria as the energy of the crowd leaked into her.

Finding a nice, shady tree, Azure stepped off the path and crossed over to it. She slid her guitar, Renegade, from its position across her back, settling down against the base of the tree. She held her guitar in her lap, her electric blue painted fingernails-- bitten down to the quick; a bad habit she had been trying to break-- tapped against the body of the electric guitar as she thought of what to play. Unable to settle on one, she pulled out her scroll, bringing up the list she’d made of every song she could play on guitar. At least, every song that wasn’t her own. It should be a given that she could play her own songs on the guitar.

Eventually, she came across a song. She slipped her scroll back into her pocket, before adjusting her guitar on her lap. She quickly ran through the chord progression just to double check that she knew it. She frowned slightly as the progression came out wrong. She was positive that was it, she knew all these songs by heart, or at least mostly by heart, so why wasn’t it sounding right? After a second, she reached down and unclipped a capo from her belt, sliding it onto the second fret. She played the progression again; it sounded much better.

Satisfied, Azure began to play the opening to the song. As soon as the intro was up, she began to sing.

“You took my hand
You showed me how
You promised me you'd be around
Uh huh, that's right

I took your words, and I believed
In everything, you said to me
Yeah huh, that's right...” she wasn’t exactly singing quietly. Sure, she wasn’t belting out the lyrics, but she didn’t bother being all the subtle either. The punk looking girl didn’t care if anyone heard her. In fact, she was hoping people would. She personally thought music was what united people the most in the world, so she was hoping she could meet people by playing music. Her chord progression changed up as she switched to the chorus of the song.

“If someone said three years from now
You’d be long gone
I’d stand up and punch them out
‘Cause they’re all wrong
I know, better
‘Cause you said forever, and ever
Who knew...” It wasn’t an original song, but playing an original song wasn’t the point. She just wanted to play music, that was all, she didn’t care if she was the one who wrote it. It wasn’t like she was really performing at the moment. Well, she was, but not officially. Azure treated life like it was a performance: big and loud and exiting. She felt like she was always performing, but to her, that was a good thing. There was probably nothing else in the world Azure loved more than performing, so why not make the world her stage? Her life the show? If she wanted to enjoy life, she’d had to do so by doing what she loved most: performing.

“Remember when we were such fools
And so convinced and just too cool
Oh no
No no
I wish I could touch you again
I wish I could still call you friend
I'd give anything...” Azure glanced around the garden as she played, happily basking in the positive emotions that such a beautiful day brought on. She was glad she had chosen the garden to play in, it gave such a positive vibe, and, for someone with a semblance like Azure’s, vibe was kind of a big deal. Her uncanny connections with crowds had always been prevalent, even before she’d really unlocked her semblance. She had always enjoyed going with her parents to the supermarket, or out to restaurants, when she was younger; she enjoyed the feel of being in the thick of a crowd.

“When someone said count your blessings now
'fore they're long gone
I guess I just didn't know how
I was all wrong
They knew better
Still you said forever
And ever
Who knew...” The chorus picked back up, Azure switching to that chord progression once more.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:40:25 AM by Azure Blair »
1st Year Beacon Student - Team CASA: Azure Blair

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Re: opening act [Open]
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:12:49 AM »
The Vytal festival had sparked a fair bit of wanderlust in Saffron, not to the same extent as her father but the Atlas student had still been taking every opportunity to travel around the world of Remnant. Atlas dignitaries or industrials always often did prefer the supposed professionalism of Atlas students as such it was easy enough to find work despite her quills. This wasn’t one of those days, however, a favour for a favour passed through a few hands had let her stay at Beacon for a few days to rest up after a particularly difficult mission. She was desperately missing her team but if her most recent missions and the Vytal festival had taught her anything it was the importance of self-sufficiency, something she notably lacked.

Curse my supportive family. Saffron jokingly thought to herself as she walked around the school grounds. Beacon was very different compared to Atlas, a lot of older architecture compared to Atlas’s utilitarian campuses did grant the place a lot of charm but significantly less protection from the weather or organised layout. Luckily the first point wasn’t an issue as Saffron was if anything too hot under her Atlas uniform, it seemed appropriate to represent her school despite if not because of it’s negative reputation. The second point was more of an issue but luckily Saffron had nowhere she needed to be, she would have more than enough time to check out the academies library and teaching staff. She had heard good things about the professor Budonoki Sophos, a Faunus teacher was a rare thing particularly one as well respected and combat able as Sophos, his recent Vytal festival performance proving the latter.

Saffron was still in no rush, however, finding herself in the school’s main gardens. Atlas had flora of course, but it was strictly utilitarian, grown for food or to teach wilderness survival courses all kept in massive underground greenhouses. Nothing compared to the impressive floral displays the Beacon groundskeeper had put together. A warm vibe and the faint playing of guitar music completed the mood which Saffron was more than happy to let herself get caught up in. It was tempting to take a flower or two, they surely wouldn’t be missed but it seemed insensitive, denying others the sight of its simple splendor. ’What had mother said about love being leaving the rose.’ Saffron muttered to herself, her defenses very much laid bare.

Finally Saffron caught sight of the originator of the music, sitting on the opposite side of a large tree over on the grass. A little idea popped into her head as Saffron pulled out her scroll, tapping away to summon her loaned locker, and landing it hopefully far enough away to not be too disruptive. Saffron then took out a bass guitar and walked back over to tree Azure was leaning up against. Sitting down on the opposite side to the younger student Saffron started playing along, it was a reasonably well-known song so she slotted in quite quickly with Azure’s playing. Slapping the body of the bass to make up for the lack of drums Saffron happily followed along Azure as the song continued. It was presumptuous of Saffron to join in like she did without asking but it felt like a shame to interrupt the music, so why not add to it?
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
As the sound of a second instrument joined in, Azure was delighted to see her tactic seemed to have worked; she would get to meet people who shared her interest in music. She couldn’t see who her fellow musician was, but she could tell their position just by listening. A light grin flitted across her face as the song continued. The addition of the bass guitar made the performance much more well rounded. While it had been fine when it had just been Azure playing the rhythm guitar portion, it sounded fuller, more complete, with the second instrument. This, was something Azure greatly enjoyed; she loved a good show, and better sounding songs made for better shows.

A small cluster of students had gathered around momentarily to watch, interested by the music. They eventually went on their way, going back to what it was they had been doing. The short moment in which they had been there had only added to Azure’s pleasant mood. She could easily connect the energy of the handful of people, letting their happiness spill into her.

“I’ll keep you locked in my head
Until we meet again
Until we, until we meet again
I won’t forget you my friend
What happened...” Azure continued to sing, playing smoothly through the bridge of the song. Her favorite part of the song was the ambiguity of it; it was song that everyone, if they looked at it just right, could relate to. A song about losing someone close to you, that, save for the line about a last kiss, could be about anyone, not necessarily a romantic partner. That being said, Azure didn’t link the song to anyone specific, but she liked how the option was there to do so.

“If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
I'd stand up and punch them out
Cause they're all wrong and
That last kiss, I'll cherish, until we meet again
And time makes it harder, I wish I could remember
But I keep your memory, you visit me in my sleep
My darling, who knew
My darling, my darling
Who knew
My darling, I miss you
My darling, who knew
Who knew...” The song faded out, Azure quieting her playing as her voice softened. She could only hope the bass player knew to do so too, or else that would lead to an awkwardly overwhelming amount of bass as the song finished. The referral to the subject of the song as ‘darling’ didn’t deter Azure’s view that the song was open ended and could fit to any type of relationship. She believed that anyone one cared for could be called ‘darling’, without it having to be a romantic thing.

With the song over, Azure had been planning to just jump right into the next one. But, given the new musical addition, she thought it best to discover who had been playing with her than just leap into a song that the other person might not know.

Picking up Renegade, Azure climbed to her feet-- taking a second to dust off any dirt that was clinging to her black jeans-- before circling around the tree to see who her musical accompaniment was.

Her navy gaze landed on the all-too-familiar Atlas uniform, her eyes narrowing slightly at the sight of it. However, she didn’t want to assume that the red headed girl was snobby or uptight just because of the uniform she wore, so Azure relaxed her features to a more playful and easygoing lopsided grin.

“It’s always nice to find another musician,” she said. She leaned her shoulder against the tree, her matte black guitar dangling casually from her right hand, propped up against her leg. Her stance was laid back, as thought almost a subconscious rebellion against the professionalism and precision that Atlas brought. Azure despised authority, and, having spent the majority of her life in the military-focused kingdom, knew Atlas was all about authority and formality.

“How long have you been playing?” she asked, gesturing to the bass guitar that the girl held. She own talent had been the result of constant practicing since the age of nine, playing until her fingertips would form blisters, then start to bleed. So she always found it interesting to come across people with natural talent, prodigies of sorts. Many people would think of this as unfair, finding it annoying that they had to practice so diligently for something that others could do with ease, but Azure didn’t mind. She thought those people lucky, yes, but she wasn’t jealous of them. She believed that had she had to practice so much to get to where she was today, she wouldn’t have become so invested in music.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:42:37 AM by Azure Blair »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
Saffron did need to catch herself once the Azure started to tone down the song, she was expecting a bit more flourish at the end but the more conventional ending was fine too, brought the focus more on the song rather than the instruments. Hearing her impromptu duettist get to her feet Saffron quickly cast her eyes towards Azure as the punk rocker came around, giving the younger student a wide smile. There was a little twinge in the other girl’s reaction but Saffron quickly discarded it, could just be muscle strain for sitting down for so long. ’That is far too much a compliment I’m afraid, I am no musician. Half as much skill as a novice but twice the confidence of a professional, I’m glad you were willing to put up with me.’ Saffron responded, making light of her own shortcomings both as a joke and a defense mechanism. By any real definition, Saffron was a musician, quite a talented one at that, but years of rejection from the Atlas bands had made her severely underestimate her abilities.

’I was given this one...two...three, epp I’m getting old, years ago. I, in turn, lent it to a friend for a year, don’t think they used it much. So two years, on and off, but I’ve had my baby for much longer, an old 12 string and most of the movements carry over.’ Saffron explained slightly cocking her head. The longer the conversation went with Azure the more Saffron was sure she had seen the punk rocker before. She had, of course, Atlas Faunus musicians were an uncommon phenomenon so Saffron had gone pretty out of her way to see one of Azure’s performances. Unfortunately like most Saffron consumed music on a purely audio level and although she had some of Azure’s music on her player she still couldn’t immediately recognise the singer. Probably says something about the world’s relationship with musicians in general. Saffron thought to herself bitterly but decided to take the risk anyway, if she was wrong she could always just never return to save herself the embarrassment.

’You are that punk rocker, right? Azure Blair? A pleasure to meet you in person, I went to a few of your shows. They were very impressive…. Manners, right sorry, I’m Saffron, Saffron de Cortez.’ Saffron introduced herself getting to her feet and extending her hand. Not exactly the ‘coolest’ greeting but it didn’t look like Azure would deal with a salute any better and Saffron always found waving awkward, she never knew what to do with her other hand. ’Well what about you, how long have you been playing that bad girl?’ Saffron asked her eyes focusing dropping down to the other instrument. It was a far more impressive specimen than Saffron’s rather simplistic bass. Although, she takes as much effort as she can maintaining her instruments Saffron’s habit of lending them out to those who show interest does tend to leave them a little rough around the edges.

Despite being older, even if only a few months, and with all the physical advantages that come with that Saffron couldn’t help but be a little overwhelmed. Succumbing to a bad habit she had gotten into; taking out her travel mirror, pretending to touch up her makeup while actually simply giving herself a few moments to compose herself. It worked most of the time but it was still a crutch which wasn’t very respected in the militarised halls of Atlas. ’So I take it you decided to join Beacon, I don’t blame you the weather is nicer and … well yeah… but how are you finding it so far?’ Saffron asked not quite being able to even indirectly bring up her countrymen racism even if both Faunus very much understood the issue.

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
The grin the girl gave Azure caught her slightly off guard. She hadn’t been expecting such a warm and friendly greeting from an Atlas student; she had to quickly readdress everything she had assumed about the girl, and realized it was probably better to get to know her first before making judgments. Just because the majority of people from Atlas were uptight and authoritative didn’t mean this girl was. Hell, Azure herself was from Atlas, and she definitely didn’t fit the kingdom’s stereotype.

She arched an eyebrow at the girl’s words. “Well, confidence makes up half the performance,” she said with a light shrug. “Even if you don’t know what you’re doing, as long as you look like you do people will think you do.” She had learned that from experience. Specifically, one show in which a costume malfunction had prevented a dance from going as planned. She had thrived off the energy of the crowd, though, and managed to fake it enough that only a few people questioned it. “But don’t be ridiculous,” she continued, “you were great. I did more than just put up with you, I enjoyed it. Honest.” She could tell the girl clearly lacked confidence in her abilities, and wanted to giver her as much encouragement as she could without sounding too over the top.

“You can play a twelve string?” Azure’s eyes lit up. “I knew you weren’t some amateur! Twelve strings are hard! Harder than an average six string!” She had played a twelve string a few times, but had done so rather poorly; she found the double strings to be awkward to use, and the sounds they made a little harder to produce cleanly. “And if you’ve only been playing bass for two years you must have some type of natural talent.”

A light chuckle escaped Azure’s lips as the girl seemed to recognize her. “Yeah, I am. I didn’t think I would have any fans outside of the Solitas continent. But then again, you’re also from Atlas, so...” she shrugged again. She was surprised to find someone who had heard her music so far from home. She had thought she’d be virtually invisible by coming to Beacon, which was partially why she had chosen it; she hadn’t wanted whatever fame she had getting in the way of her studies. But here she was, her first day here, and already finding people who knew her. Hopefully they wouldn’t be too large in number, she wanted to focus more on school work than signing autographs.

“Pleasure to meet you too,” she said as she shook Saffron’s hand, “like I said, always a pleasure to meet a fellow musician.” She retracted her hand to push her black and blue hair from her face, glancing down at Renegade as Saffron mentioned her. She twirled the guitar smoothly in her hand.

“This beauty,” she said, handing the matte black guitar over for Saffron to examine, “I’ve had for about... five years, I’d say? I made her when I was fourteen... so yeah, about five years, give or take. She runs on a dust core, as opposed to the usual electromagnetism of normal electric guitar, so I can play her without needing an amp. Makes it easier in battle, ya know?” She wasn’t trying to brag or show off in anyway, she was just a little too excited to talk about Renegade; she always loved talking about her weapon, and could easily go off on tangents about it.

Once she took the weapon back, she would return it to its usual place on her back.

Saffron’s next question prompted another light chuckle from Azure. “Well,” she said, fiddling with the capo clipped to her belt, “I’ve only been here about twelve hours, the majority of which were spent sleeping, so I can’t really say. I mean from what I’ve gathered in the three hours I’ve been awake it’s definitely nicer to look at than my old combat school-- er, schools,” she quickly corrected herself, hoping the action had gone unnoticed-- she wasn’t too fond of discussing her expulsion from her first combat school, it brought up memories she would rather suppress. “This one at least has nice gardens, and it seems to have much nicer people than." She flashed a smile at Saffron as she said this.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:43:33 AM by Azure Blair »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »
Saffron's smile faulted slightly as Azure tried to give her some encouragement. 'Sorry, just a bit of self-deprecating humour, nothing you need to worry about.' Saffron lied, lied poorly in fact. Immediately breaking eye contact and running her left hand through her hair. The last thing Saffron wanted to be was a source of pity and although that wasn't what Azure was trying to be the Atlas student internalised most assurances as coming from a place of contempt or at least disappointment. Saffron did brighten up considerably when the conversation turned to her 12 string but there remained some degree of hesitation. 'Twice the strings, twice the skill, twice the pleasure, twice the pain. My father always said that but it's not quite true of course, if you can play six you can play twelve but just as there are some adjustments you need to make not unlike swapping from acoustic to electric. But those adjustments can be hard to make when going from six to twelve, my first instrument was a twelve string so I didn't have that problem.' Saffron explained chuckling away as she mentioned her family's antics.

Nodding along as Azure continued to talk Saffron raised an eyebrow when the punk rocker implied she used her guitar in combat and handed it to her. 'You fight with her? That's ...impressive commitment, it's always interesting to see what other people turn into their weapons. I once thought my boomerangs would be one of the more unusual weapons but the more I travel the more pedestrian they seem. So how do you fight with it? Does it spit fire? Could serve double duty as pyrotechnics and Grimm deterrent.' Saffron asked struggling to hold in her laughter as she looked over the weapon. There was no malice in it but she wanted to make sure she wasn't perceived as rude however the image of Azure leaping into a pack of Beowulfs, strumming her guitar as it spat out flames was hard to ignore.

Finding a switch Saffron pressed it revealing some rather menacing looking axe blades which took the Atlas student by surprise. Looking up rather sheepishly at Azure Saffron gave a silent apology before handing the weapon back, axe blades resheathed. 'Or axe blades, axes are cool.....So you've tried your hand at electric and twelve string, have you tried another instrument? And don't worry I won't go running to the papers.' Saffron teased. She would never do that of course, Azure must be under a fair bit of scrutiny being an Atlas-based Faunus punk musician and Saffron wouldn't want to add to that. In fact, that could explain why she went to Beacon in the first place.

'Yea I was admiring the flowers when I was walking past. Kirkka Scarlet has clearly put in a lot of work here.' Saffron responded naming Beacon's groundskeeper. 'Well if you haven't had a class yet, what are you looking forward to? The first years can be a rowdy bunch but I guess that means you will fit right in given time.' Saffron continued looking closer Azure getting her guitar at 14 five years ago puts her at 19, a little old for the first year courses and then there was that mention of 'schools,' all together that did imply some troubled upbringing. Unfortunately, that was far too common on Remnant, particularly among the Faunus. 'If there is anything I can do to help, don't be afraid to ask. Atlas and Beacon do have their differences but it's mostly the same course matter so if you need advice there or just a simple sparing partner I would be happy to help.

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »
Azure could tell the girl was lying-- she wasn’t all that subtle about it. But, she also inferred the girl didn’t want to further touch on the subject, so simply replied with, “yeah, I know the feeling,” in response to the girl’s claim of self deprecating humor, and then let the topic rest. She absent mindedly reached up and picked a leaf from the branch above her head, slowly tearing it into shreds as she listened to the girl talk about her twelve string guitar.

“I think the only real adjustment I’ve noticed when switching to acoustic to electric is that ya have to press harder on acoustic. On electric the strings seem more... flexible.” She commented. “But I think with twelve strings, my main issue with them I find them too cluttered. Like, the fretboard is just- it has an overwhelming amount of strings, ya know?” As she spoke, she let the leaf shards fall from her fingers, they fluttered to the ground. “But if it was your first instrument, then I could see how it would be easier for you. I imagine a six string must’ve seemed like some simple, amateur instrument to you the first time ya switched over, yeah?” She accompanied her question with a light chuckle.

“Well, if you’re going to use an object already designed for combat, then I’d say boomerangs are definitely a more unique pick. Most people go for guns or swords when making weapons; they don’t think outside the box that much. Ya know, I once knew someone whose weapon was a ring that would spread out into brass knuckles, which, in turn would produce poisoned spikes.” She shook her head slightly at the memory. “The things people come up with...”

Upon the question of the workings of Renegade, Azure smirked a little. “Something like that,” she told Saffron. She decided not to reveal the true, dust-based use of Renegade just yet, in case she ever met Saffron in the sparring ring sometime-- she wouldn’t want to lose the advantage of surprise in battle. A short laugh escaped her lips as Saffron discovered the axe blades. “And it’s also an axe,” she smirked.

“I can play a variety of stuff, mainly different guitars. Acoustic, electric, hybrids, double neck...” she shrugged as she spoke, “a bit of piano; I’ve dappled in drums and violin a little, but I can’t do much with them...” Her voice trailed off as she thought. “I think that’s about all, yeah. Mostly guitar-- all types of guitar, besides twelves string obviously.” She didn’t want to make it sound like she was bragging, that was the last thing she wanted. But she didn’t know how else the question, so she tried to bring the most emphasis to the instruments she wasn’t very good at.

“Well, considering I haven’t even looked at my schedule yet, I don’t really know what classes I have, let alone which one’s I think I’ll like. But I’m guessing any type of sparring or combat class will be good, I can’t learn in lecture environments, so I’m absolutely dreading any other classes.” She accompanied her word choice with a smile to play it off as a joke, but in reality she truly was dreading most of her classes. She wasn’t lying when she said she couldn’t learn from lectures. She learned best by doing, by interacting with what she was supposed to be learning; having to sit in a classroom and listen to someone talk would do little to help her retain any information given to her.

“Sparring would be great,” she said, her face lighting up. “I haven’t had anyone good to spar with in years.” She stopped herself before she could continue, not wanting to disclose the reason for not having good sparring partners. ‘I had to redo two years of regular combat school so everyone was so much younger than me’ really didn’t sound all that great, and would probably raise too many questions.

“So what about you?” Azure asked, diverting the topic, “you’re in Atlas uniform, are you here at Beacon as some type of exchange student, or...?” She tried to think of any other reason why someone dressed as an Atlas student would be at Beacon. Maybe she just liked the uniform? She picked another leaf from the tree as she listened to Saffron’s response.

Her scroll suddenly went off in her pocket, the loud, relentless buzzing sound of an alarm going off: her reminded to take her meds. Which, she realized, she’d forgotten to do. She couldn’t do that at the moment, obviously, so she set another reminder on her scroll, scheduled to go off in a few hours. However she had a feeling would just keep setting and ignoring reminders, which had happened before.

“Sorry ‘bout that...” she mused as she turned off her scroll slid it back into her pocket. She flashed a smile at Saffron as if to tell her not to worry about it, or question it.

“Anyways, where were we?”
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:45:10 AM by Azure Blair »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
Saffron nodded as Azure agreed with her in regards to self-deprecating humour, it wasn’t exactly a topic she wanted to dwell on so she was eager to move on. ’If the twelve string intimidated you I can’t imagine how you reacted with the piano’s up to 236 strings.’ Saffron teased before hastily adding. ’It’s not quite the same thing I’m aware but I hope you understand my point, a twelve only has ten strings tuned differently so it’s not as complex as it immediately appears just like how the sheer flexibility of a piano can be overwhelming initially, with enough practice you get used to it. I’ll confess there are a lot of skills that a twelve forces you to learn harder than a more traditional guitar, particularly around strumming, but relearning the finger styling was challenging. Twice the strings mean you need more pressure to get the same tension and without a good grasp of fretting you lose a lot of your foundations… I’m sorry you probably already known all of that... Just get a bit caught up sometimes.’ Saffron explained awkwardly, what was she thinking explaining musical elements to a professional.

Weapons, however, were something their knowledge should be on a much even level. ’Yea well someone on my team has a weapon so complex they need to carry around a computer to help them wield it. Who would have thought that boomerang/hatchet/shotguns and fire spewing axe guitars aren’t the most over the top weapons? But there has to be a story behind it right? Like you have to look good while hunting, I get that, but what made you choose a guitar as your weapon?’ Saffron asked looking back down at the instrument, even now it was hard to imagine what was hiding beneath the well made but ultimately mundane exterior. ’So you’re quite the musical polymath? Well how about if you have any questions about your subjects or a looking for a sparring partner and I’ll help you out and in turn, I’ll have a professional I can turn to about musical questions?’ Saffron offered before also offering her scroll number on some cardboard.

’Yea I could imagine it seems very out of place.’ Saffron began gesturing down at her uniform. ’I’m not on exchange, Alban owed Amarant a small favour and although he is a brilliant educator the Atlas Headmaster isn’t someone you want to be owing anything to, housing me for a couple of weeks while I do a little more hands-on hunter experience was just one of the chips he called in. It’s been fun… well as fun as fighting Grimm mostly alone ever gets and I think it’s important to remain in uniform outside of battle. Particularly considering what I am.’ Saffron finished extending her quills that lay dormant within her hair. Saffron never specificly hid her origins but her years in Atlas had an odd combination of punishing her for drawing attention to it and her own refusal to back down mostly canceled each other out. At it’s core Saffron is so used to be known as ‘the Faunus one’ that she wasn’t used to that not being peoples first thought when interacting with her. Getting a little presumptuous in your infamy Saffron thought to herself dryly.

Saffron raised an eyebrow at the scroll and was going to tease Azure more about being a superstar but there was something in the younger girl’s expression that told her it wouldn’t go down well. ’So why are you so worried about your subjects anyway? You passed the entrance exam, right? You’ve earned your place here. There is nothing anyone else can say or you can think that can take that achievement from you.’ Saffron responded rather curious why someone who seemed rather well together in all other aspects didn’t have much confidence here. Saffron was no stranger to doubts surrounding her abilities but hunter skills are a lot more easily measured than her musical talents but it hasn’t always been that way. Doubt is like a rot, it can infect the mind and make itself real, it isn’t a fate Saffron would wish on her worst enemy let alone someone like Azure. Saffron was rather blind to the fact she was attempting to broach the very same issue she had shut down in regards to her musical talent, too concerned with the ‘what’ to care very much for the ‘why.’

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
A quiet laugh escaped Azure’s lips at Saffron’s joke. While she wouldn’t necessarily call playing piano harder than playing guitar, it was definitely different. Having the notes more spaced out as a nice change for her long, slender fingers; however it also called for different motions than what she was normally used to; more coordination between both her hands.

“Yeah, exactly,” she spoke up, “you have to press harder, which makes it harder to get the notes to come out nicely. Twice the number of strings, twice the risk of one of them buzzing.” She remembered the first time she’d played a twelve string guitar it had been like having to relearn guitar all over again, like she was nine years old once more, trying to self teach herself an instrument she knew nothing about; she had been nearly unable to produce a clean chord, there had always been at least one string that buzzed, or was muted. This had been around the time she forged Renegade, and her combat instructor had suggest she use a twelve string guitar in her weapon as opposed to a six, since twice the strings would mean stronger attacks. Azure had decided she’d rather have something she was familiar, that she could use right away, then have to take time to learn how to play a twelve string guitar. Having to learn to play a twelve string guitar would have just meant it would be longer before she could use her weapon in combat, and she was an impatient person, waiting wasn’t her forte.

Azure arched an eyebrow as Saffron mentioned her teammate’s weapon, her mind immediately picturing someone carrying a laptop into battle. She couldn’t imagine what if must be like to need to carry a computer around in combat. Surely in would get in the way more than be useful? She didn’t even want to think about how complex a weapon would have to be to require a computer to carry it around. Unless, of course, the weapon was the computer...

She glanced down at her guitar. “Well, music and combat have always been incredibly important to me, so I thought combining them together was a perfect idea.” She chose her words carefully, not wanting to give away too much. She had only just met Saffron, after all, and dropping them I-used-both-combat-and-music-as-a-coping-mechanism-after-my-parents’-death bomb probably wasn’t the best idea. “The idea for making it into an axe, though, came a lot later, after I had already gone through a few designs. I knew I wanted to incorporate music into combat somehow, but it’s not as easy as one would think. I wasn’t even originally planning on making a melee weapon, actually. But then I tried my hand at a normal axe one day and realized I liked that style of fighting a lot more than the rifles and swords.” She finished her explanation with a light shrug, an action she seemed to have trademarked. It was her way of giving off just the right type of casual air, while not seeming overly lazy.

“But what about you?” She asked, gesturing to Saffron’s boomerangs. “How’d ya come up with a boomerang, hatchet, shotgun combo?” She’d always thought weapons with several forms were more complicated and, to be quite frank, a little over the top. She thought a lot of the time they were more for flare than actual combat. But then again, who was she to talk, what with her battle axe/guitar hybrid that lit up and spat dust? Azure supposed, seeing as her life-- her entire career as a rockstar-- revolved around unnecessary flare, that she couldn’t really trash talk anyone with a flashy weapon.

“Sounds like a deal to me,” she said, offering her hand out to shake on it. “God knows I’m gonna need all the help I can get with normal subjects.” She laughed a little at that. “And I’m up for giving people musical guidance, I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Unless they’re about twelve string guitars, which in that case, I probably won’t be able to help you.” A playful smirk danced across her lips as she spoke.

As Saffron revealed her quills, Azure’s wolf tail flicked, puffing out a little subconsciously in excitement. She knew all too well the struggles of being a faunus in Atlas, so the fact that she had met someone else who could relate was relieving.

She began ripping up the leaf in her hand, letting the pieces of it blow away in the gentle breeze that drifted by.

“If you’re a faunus, then I agree, it’s definitely important to wear your uniform. It can show the rest of the world, show the other faunus, that we can succeed even when everyone else is telling us we can’t.” Maybe she was getting too political, but she couldn’t help it. Any mention of faunus in Atlas and Azure would leap in to give her input, even if what she said was completely unrelated to the conversation being had.

“I barely passed the entrance exam,” Azure corrected Saffron, “and I didn’t pass the first time ‘round, which is why I’m a little old for a first year. So, ya know, gettin’ here wasn’t really much of an accomplishment for me, more like a reminder that I’m just barely adequate at being a huntress.” She laughed nervously, casting her gaze out at the garden, at all the other people milling about. “I’m worried because I’ve always sucked at school,” she continued. “I just... can’t learn well in a classroom environment, so I’m worried I’ll fail out of all my classes and be... I don’t know, expelled or some shit. Which would suck, a lot.” She didn’t know what she would do if she got expelled from combat school. Again.

“I’m serious about that deal, though,” she glanced back over at Saffron. “I’ll give you all the music help you need if you help me not fail out of all my courses.” The wolf faunus finally sat down next to Saffron, leaning Renegade up against the tree next to her. She switched from picking leaves to picking grass, her fingers playing with the blades, ripping them from the earth.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:46:25 AM by Azure Blair »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »
‘Well if you ever try to pick it up again drilling the finger movements would be my first port of call, might be dull but I’m sure you know that there is a lot of effort which goes into making something look effortless.’ Saffron responded, she never practised enough to make her fingers bleed like Azure but she did receive training from a long list of players, her father first among them, and like most of Saffron’s educators each of their teachers were blended into the confusing but nevertheless comprehensive style Saffron developed. ‘That’s an interesting way of thinking about it, I also find music to be an important part of my life, a succour even. But I always wanted to keep it separate from my life as a to-be-specialist. Not to your level of course but I’m reasonably well known in Atlas, not for positive reasons exactly, and that makes it even more appealing to be able, for a time at least, strip on this off. Not to be Saffron the combat academy student or Saffron the only Faunus team leader in Atlas rather just be the music, to just walk around playing whichever instrument calls to me that day and be at peace.’ Saffron explained. It was a foolish activity, selfish even, and Saffron knew this but she continued to participate. Whoever said infamy was preferable to being forgotten was a fool but invisibility was simply another privilege Saffron would have to sacrifice if she was ever to achieve her goals.

‘These things?’ Saffron began taking one of her boomerangs out, unloading it then passing it to Azure. It wasn’t exactly something Saffron was comfortable with, Black Blizzard was precious to her and although she frequently threw them giving them to another was different. It seemed impolite not to however since Azure must surely feel a similar was about Renegade, minus the habit of throwing it, and as such Saffron gritted her teeth literally and figuratively to bear with it. The boomerang was a sleek metal design, heavier than expected but still well balanced. Intricate carvings showing the various myths famed across Remnant and a series of four holes on one end were the only indications it was meant for battle. ‘My first couple of years at Atlas were pretty tough, I never attended a combat school before but my mother is a specialist so my skills were up to scratch but there were issues. Personal issues. Early on people figured out my semblance and my style of fighting … it was difficult to recover the information disadvantage. As such, I rebuilt my weapons to optimise adaptability, refined my semblance to leave me with some surprises and more or less turned to tables on them. They might know how I used to fight but I know they know that and can plan accordingly. But on the plus side, this means I have a lot of experience with different styles so I’m glad you accepted my offer.’ Saffron finished, perhaps overexplaining, oversharing was a bad habit Saffron has had since childhood and wasn’t one she would be able to break soon.

‘I’m glad you think so, not everyone shares your perspective. And don’t worry too much, sometimes it feels our very existence is political.’ Saffron responded. Not most people even and it wasn’t just Atlas establishment and their outdated views. Many of Saffron’s fellow activists looked at her with disdain for her close association with Atlas, and not without good reason. She was part of the system that exploited the Faunus, a willing participant where not everyone is so willing. Destroying or changing it so much it might as well be destroyed might be for the best in the long term but the damage to Remnant as a whole losing an entire kingdom would be catastrophic. Particularly one as techonlogically prolific as Atlas. ‘I’ll send you my notes to start off with, hopefully, they will give you a little more confidence and a little more knowledge on the fundamentals. After that don’t hesitate to message me, I basically live off this thing so I’ll try to respond as quickly as possible. And remember there are those who never get in, or who give up after their first attempt. Perseverance is a positive trait, a necessary trait if you want to be a huntress.’ Saffron assured Azure gesturing to her … overly large watch. ’It functions as a scroll as well, but easier to access in combat scenarios.’ Saffron explained.

’Well how are you settling into Vale in general, even if you have only been here a short while it must feel different from Atlas? I used to bounce between Atlas and Vacuo a lot as a kid and despite the cold… and everything else I loved it there. Everywhere else has their charms however of course but it’s just not the same. To me nothing can match the precision and grandeur of Atlas, what about you? And I’ll only be slightly annoyed if you differ.’ Saffron joked. Honestly Saffron had spent a fair amount of time talking to native Vale people about their homeland but she had never heard a fellow foreigner’s perspective on the matter. ’Speaking of travelling is there anywhere you would like to travel one day? One of the benefits of the job is seeing new places, even though you don’t always get a chance to enjoy all the attractions.’ Saffron asked before looking over to Azure smiling widely. ’What did the grass ever to do you?’

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »
“I’m sure you know that there is a lot of effort which goes into making something look effortless.” Oh, Azure was well aware of how much effort had to go into an effortless appearance. The scars on her calloused fingertips, having formed from years and years of playing guitar until her fingers began to bleed, served as proof of that. She had lost count of how many times she had wasted away hours upon hours to get a small section of a song perfect, how many times she’d pulled an all nighter just to practice guitar; she could never be satisfied with anything less than perfection when it came to music. If she couldn’t do something perfectly, she’d practice nonstop until she could. And even then, she’d still want to practice more. Many called her a try hard, or an overachiever for how much time she spent practicing songs, but she didn’t care; she was the one who could play Cliffs of Dover, after all; they couldn’t, so who were they to make fun of her practice habits?

“Honestly, same here. If it wasn’t for music, then I doubt I would have gotten to where I am now. Literally. I don’t think I could have made it into Beacon without music. I can see why you’d want to keep it separate, though. If it’s what you’re known for it kinda loses that release, that escape, in a way. It’s no longer a way to separate from the rest of reality, is is reality.” That wasn’t to say she didn’t like music as much as she used to, she still loved, maybe even more than when she was younger. But now that music was her job, it was less of a thing she could resort to that felt outside of everything else, and more of a way to keep everything else together, a way to ground everything.

“You’re a team leader?” Azure questioned. Saffron had mentioned fighting Grimm alone, which had lead her to believe she wasn’t part of a team. “Is the rest of your team here at Beacon too? Or did they stay behind?”

Azure fiddled with Renegade, making sure it was perfectly tuned, brushing nonexistent dust off the surface of it. She leaned it up against the tree as she took the boomerang from Saffron, holding it up to examine it. It was heavier than she had expected. She lightly ran her thumb across the carvings, many of which she didn’t recognize. She wasn’t very knowledgeable in the myths and legends of Remnant. Or any history of Remnant, really, History had always been one of her worst subjects, she found the memorization of dates and events pointless and mind numbing, and therefore had never really been able to concentrate on any material she was supposed to learning. The only exception had been the Faunus Rights Revolution, for obvious reasons.

“So they’re boomerangs... hatchets... and shotguns?” She wondered out loud, slowly turning the weapon over in her hands, trying to figure out how so many styles could fit into such a small object. She didn’t dare attempt to activate the weapon, though, she figured she’d probably break it if she tried. The carvings, the slight build of weapon, made it seem almost... fragile, like it was something too valuable for her to be holding. She handed the boomerang back to Saffron, quickly picking up Renegade once more. The weight of the guitar felt much more natural in her hand than that of the boomerang.

“Yeah, maybe you’ll be able to teach me some more proper techniques,” Azure commented with a laugh. “My style can be defined as ‘literally nothing went according to plan but we’re rolling with it anyways’. Which, ya know, can have its perks, it’s pretty inconsistent and hard to plan for, I’d say, but it also isn’t always the most efficient method. So anything you can teach me that isn’t just ‘swing an axe and hope for the best’ would be appreciated.”

“Sometimes I think my entire career is just a political statement,” Azure said, glancing around the garden as she brushed several strands of hair from her face; the breezes that kept passing through were having a field day today with playing with her hair, she should probably just pull it back to keep from having to fix it continuously. “Being a rockstar is already enough of a statement when you live in a kingdom that thrives of off classical music-- at least, that’s been my experience anyways. And then to be a faunus and a rock artist... it all just becomes some big political thing. It’s like the more I defy the status quo, the more money I’ll make. That’s how my manager seems to see it anyways.” While, for the most part, she did hold control over what type of music she produced and how she presented herself to the world, there were times when Azure felt that Hunter just wanted to use her because she “new,” and “different,” and “rebellious.”

“That would be great, really. I’ll be forever indebted to you,” Azure joked as Saffron mentioned letting her borrow her notes. Maybe then she could at least catch up some to the rest of the class. At the mention of messaging, Azure realized she was still holding the cardboard strip that had Saffron’s number in it. The cardboard was now severely bent, curled like a ribbon as Azure had subconsciously been wrapping and unwrapping it around her finger while talking. She quickly took out her scroll and added Saffron as a contact, before looking up to examine the watch the girl wore.

“Hey, yeah, that’s actually really cool,” she said, “definitely more accessible than a scroll.” She didn’t find she needed to use her scroll in combat all that much, so accessibility had never been much of an issue for her, but maybe other people used it more. She thought back to the person who used a computer as their weapon, maybe they had something more portable like what Saffron had?

“Well, Atlas is definitely colder,” Azure noted as she continued to pull up grass. “Vale seems... a lot more relaxed that Atlas. Atlas is so... rigid, for lack of a better term. Like everyone is holding their breath, hoping no one will notice is they accidentally step out of line. And here is Vale, there aren’t any lines. And- wait, hold up,” she liked the sound of what she’d just said, so, like she did whenever she found a good line, she took out a pen and quickly scrawled everyone is holding their, hoping no one notices when they step out of line on the back of her hand in her slanted, messy handwriting. She capped the pen and stuck it back in her pocket. “And everyone is a lot more accepting too. I don’t get as many weird looks walking down the street.” She finished.

“Honestly, I’d like travel everywhere. I’m hoping my next album will land me a bigger international tour, then I could have an excuse to travel all over,” she joked. She resumed playing with the grass, always needing to be doing something with her hands. “What ‘bout you? Where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world?”

She smirked as she looked down at the grass she had been ripping up, there was a nice, small pile of pulled up grass sitting in front of her. She took three of the longest strands and began braiding them together. Her gaze passed idly over Saffron as she lounged in the grass, letting the sunlight spill across her lap and torso. She couldn’t believe that she was having such a casual, civilized conversation with someone who was not just an Atlas student, but an Atlas team leader and specialist in training. Usually she’d expect those types of people to be the physical embodiment of everything Atlas stood for, but here she was. Strange.

She began humming a little as she braided the grass strands; a tune to a random song that was stuck in her head. Her tail twitched slightly, curling up to rest on top of her body. The action cause it to drag through the pile of grass she had created, the green blades getting swept up in the thick, white fur.

“Dammit,” she muttered, pausing in her humming as she took a moment to comb the grass from her tail. While holding the grass, she was hit with a rather stupid and incredibly childish idea. But Azure had never been one to care for if an idea was stupid or not, she’d go ahead with it anyways.

She reached over and gently sprinkled her handful of grass over Saffron, smirking playfully as she did. She had no idea how the atlesian would reacted, but she hoped it wouldn’t be anything too bad. Hopefully she hadn’t just ruined whatever friendship had been forming between the two of them. As she awaited the girl’s reaction, she resumed braiding her grass strands, pretending as if it had never happened. She continued to hum, finishing up her braided grass, she wrapped it around her wrist and tied it like a bracelet.

A large cluster of student walked by suddenly, laughing cheerfully. Azure’s semblance was already tuning into people around her, so the sudden rush of happiness from the group hit her hard. A grin split her face as a laugh bubbled from her lips, she flopped backwards so she could lie on her back, looking nearly delirious. As soon as the group of students passed on, the feeling passed. She crashed back to her previous mood, wrinkling her forehead in slight embarrassment and disgust.

“God I am so sorry for whatever just happened, I really shouldn’t have picked such a public place to hang out right after traveling,” she said. Because she was still tired from traveling, she was feeling the effects of her semblance more than she usually would, which was why the small crowd had prompted such a reaction from her.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:33:32 AM by Azure Blair »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 01:28:10 AM »
It was a pleasant day, today. Unfortunately, the beauty of it was currently lost on Aurelia, who is currently lost in thought. She had intended to take a brief stroll through Beacon’s gardens in order to clear her head, but it was to no avail: the horse faunus was still pensive. 

The Vytal Festival Tournament had exposed a reckless tendency in her fighting style.  Aurelia took many unnecessary risks in her first-round bout, even willingly giving up her sword for what was at the time an unknown benefit.  And while those risks did feed her information on how her opponent fought, Aurelia was punished rightfully for each risk she took.  The worst part is that she would have never fought like that while on horseback.  The combination of being out of her comfort zone and fighting

That being said, mistakes can be corrected, and her tournament showing wasn’t what was bothering her.  The problem was that she was supposed to be a team leader:  what happens if those flaws come through during a mission and she recklessly risks her teammates?  Forget just keeping the team together, she’ll get someone killed!

Aurelia sighs, probably for the hundredth time that day, as her tail idly flicks.  She needs to find something to take her mind off of such grim topics, but that task seems to be more than just a walk in the park, much to her chagrin.  But why is she getting so worked up over this?  Flaws can be fixed, and she’s already recognized and identified said flaw, and that means she’s already taken the first step to amending it. 

But you haven’t taken the second, yet. her thoughts intruded, scolding her for her time spent idling in a garden.  And it was true, Aurelia had yet to do anything that could qualify as progress towards rectifying the problem.  Not for lack of trying, though.  The problem lies in her decision making.  And not just tactical decisions, either, but in individual instants during the heat of battle.  Any armchair warrior can reflect upon mistakes in hindsight.  What she needs is experience, and that’s an incredibly difficult and risky thing to come by.  So, no, she hasn’t made progress fixing her fatal flaw.

Aurelia shakes her head to try and snap herself out of her thoughts.  There’s nothing that can be done about it right now, so she should find something else to do.  There’s no point in worrying.  Something else to do, something else to do…

She took a moment to scan the area, mostly to gauge how far she had wondered in pensive thought before regaining her senses.  It was here that she spotted Azure and Saffron chatting under a tree, though it wasn’t their conversation that caught her attention.  The white Atlas uniform stood out quite clearly against the background, not to mention Aurelia had the feeling she had seen her somewhere before…

”Pardon me, I believe I’ve seen you before.  By any chance, did you participate in this year’s Vytal Festival?” she asked Saffron as she made her way over to the pair.  Looking to the other girl, she took a few seconds to study Azure.  Unfortunately for the first year and despite being an Atlesian Faunus herself, Aurelia fails to recognize the artist.  Her upbringing had instilled in Aurelia an appreciation for classical, as stereotypical as it sounds.  Still, her observation did apparently yield some insight, as the horse faunus brings a hand to her mouth in mild surprise.

”Oh, forgive me, I seem to have forgotten my manners.  Aurelia Lumen, Beacon third year." she says as she bows, before returning to her ramrod straight posture, the crease in her pants barely affected by the movement.  Yes, Aurelia, despite clearly being a woman, is wearing the male uniform for whatever reason.  On top of that, the creases and folds are immaculate, and not even a hair is out of place.  She could put even Atlas students to shame, at least when it comes to rigid appearances.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 01:33:12 AM by ReaperJoe »
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:54 AM »
’Maybe keeping something back on a personal level might help make sure your music can still be an escape if it is different to what you perform. I understand you might not have that luxury but I do feel it’s important to have something even if it’s not music. It’s kept me sane so far.’ Saffron offered. Finding coping measures for herself and others caught up in the intense environment of Atlas was a common experience for Saffron but finding a coping mechanism from your own coping mechanism might be out of even her expertise. She still couldn’t truly abandon the issue, Saffron had seen enough dropouts and worse from burnouts to ever not offer some sort of solution.  ’You could take up sewing, help keep yourself together in more ways than one.’ Saffron teased gesturing at Azure’s ripped jeans. The rebellious fashion statement wasn’t exactly one Saffron agreed with and although everyone was free to dress any way they wish it was difficult to let Azure’s fashion choices go unremarked upon. ’Yea I lead Team SALT and yes again they aren’t here, still stuck in the cold. This is as much about self-exploration as it is completing missions as well as training for … in less than two years time we will go our separate ways.’ Safrron responds saddening greatly as she realised how little time she might have left as part of a team, it wasn’t a thought she frequently pondered and there was a reason; she needed them, she wasn’t ready to move on but the world didn’t care either way.

’Oh right.’ Saffron began remembering she had missed one of Azure’s questions before and quickly went on to correct that. ’Well I’m not particularly fast on my feet, neutrally call myself stocky, and combined with the armour I wear I won’t be winning any races. So I need a good stockpile of range attacks as well the shotguns can be loaded with wind dust to give me a bit of a boost when I need it or ice dust to slow down targets. And the hatchets… well that’s kind of straightforward, I’d break too many nails if I used my fists.’ Saffron explained smiling widely at her self-deprecating humour. It was tempting to go into more detail about the tricks her specific combination of weapons could make use off, mainly the shotguns being linked to her wrist mounted scroll.  ’Well if I am going to be helping you with combat school stuff it might help have more of an idea of how you use your guitar, I understand that this is a personal thing so I could start on something more general but as I’m sure you remember with guitar, making sure you fundaments are in place before moving on is key to cultivating good habits.’ Saffron continued, although she was still smiling Saffron tone did become more serious, it was a serious topic after all and if everything went to plan they would end up as competitors to some degree so knowing all of Azure’s secrets would be quite the unfair advantage.

’Well there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it’s a direction you want to go in and it’s for a good reason. Outrage is definitely profitable but, and I know you didn’t choose this, but there are a lot of eyes on your and no pressure but you might be the only Faunus some people regularly interact with even if it’s only listening to your music. That gives you a lot of opportunities to change minds but also reinforce stereotypes… so no pressure. You are not the only one of course but …. I don’t envy the role you’ve chosen to play but I’ll help any way I can.’ Saffron remarked, it was getting a little heavy so she tried to find a more pleasant topic. Her wrist device would do. ’Yea it can do a lot of stuff, closer to a laptop than a scroll really, clashes with a few fashion choices unfortunately but that’s the price we pay I suppose. Utilitarian works sometimes but its a bit of a push here regardless of how useful the mini-supercomputer is.’ Saffron joked before pausing to think about Azure’s question about traveling. It was something she was well familiar, having set foot on each of Remnant’s continents by five and expeditions only getting more serious since then but she always returned to Atlas. There was something in that imposing utilitarianism which spoke to her on a deep, personal level. Like a stack, a part of the headland which has stood against the sea for so long it has become separate from the rest of the cliff, Atlas was nothing like anything else.  ’There is nowhere I would rather be that Atlas, not that you aren’t pleasant company but I could spend a hundred lifetimes wandering Solitas. There isn’t much Grimm in the ice so it’s peaceful; freezing cold, blisteringly windy and a nightmare to get deep into the snowfields but peaceful.’ Saffron responded, it was hardly the most interesting answer but the truth often isn’t.

Saffron reacted immediately as Azure seemed to have a little episode right in front of her. Taking the younger girl into her arms Saffron’s quills immediately standing on edge as her eyes scanned the park. There wasn’t any obvious cause and Azure seemed to come down quickly enough but it was more than enough to activate Saffron’s more protective side.  ’We can go somewhere more private if you want? Saffron asked not giving in to her curiosity about what caused the episode. How quickly Azure recovered did assume some degree of regularity but that didn’t mean it was a topic for discussion. It was now Aurelia entered the conversation. Subconsciously shifting herself between Azure and Aurelia Saffron looked up and down the newcomer. Of course Saffron immediately recognised Aurelia, the preparation she had put in before the Vytal tourney had gone a lot deeper than appearances and nodded in response.  ’Yes I’m Saffron de Cortez, honestly, most of the tourney is a bit of a blur, so much adrenaline and stress have left quite the haze but I remember you having a fight against one of your fellow Beacon student, Airi Okairos. It was an impressive performance.’ Saffron introduced herself settling down slightly. Aurelia wasn’t likely to be a threat, frankly, any threat was unlikely to be at Beacon. Moving a little away from Azure Saffron left her hand on the rock star’s shoulder. The bow was a little overboard in Saffron’s books but no one could fault the horse Faunuses posture or sincerity and both did a lot to ingratiate Aurelia with Saffron. ’Your arrival might end up being quite helpful to us but I don’t want to be presumptuous, do you have a request or simply looking for a chat?’ Saffron asked perfectly happy with either outcome.

Azure Blair

• Been Around

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
“Yeah, I think there are definitely things I won’t be putting in music for sure,” she laughed w little, somewhat awkwardly. “But I think I’ve managed to make it something that’s less of an escape, and more as a means to tie everything together, ya know? Like before I got the record deal it was just this separate thing, but now, especially after I made Renegade, it can work as a kind of constant in the chaos, if ya know what I mean?” Azure gestured to Renegade as she mentioned the weapon. She grimaced as Saffron mentioned sewing. “Oh hell no, ew, gross. Sewing is awful. Boring. I hate it,” she declared, before noticing Saffron’s indication of her severely ripped jeans. Her eyebrows arched. “Oh well I’m sorry my fashion choice is not up to you atlesian standards,” she joked, laughing. “I just like to show a little bit of skin.” She added a playful, teasing wink after her statement, smirking.

Azure listened intently as Saffron described how she used her weapon, thinking of how she could use this knowledge to her advantage if they were ever to spar together. Of course, not that it would really matter that much anyways; Azure didn’t like taking other people’s fighting styles into account, she didn’t adapt to different situations. But that was probably because she didn’t have anything to adapt in the first place; her style was so random and spontaneous that it was hard to really call it a style, and more like just flailing around and hoping for the best. “Yeah same here, with the Dust thing, wind Dust is an easy way for me to move around. Renegade actually uses a wide variety of Dust, I don’t know what I’d do without it.” Her guitar didn’t just use Dust in battle, the entire design was built around Dust. In order to not have to drag an amp around with her every time she wanted to play her guitar, Azure had implemented a Dust core into Renegade that served as an amp, converting the vibrations of the strings that the pickups registered into a louder sound that came from the body of the guitar. Without Dust, that core wouldn’t existed, and Renegade would more or less be your average electric guitar.

She perked up excitedly, always happy to talk about her guitar. She wasn’t even thinking of how giving away such knowledge would be disadvantageous to herself in combat, as she leapt to her feet and grabbed Renegade. “So obviously,” she activated the blades, “it’s an axe.” The guitar would hum sightly as the core warmed up, the lights along the edges of the pickups, pickguard, and various dials glowing to life. The whole guitar would begin to pulse with a very faint black-colored light. Dark, navy blue aura would begin to crackle up and down the reinforced steel strings like lightning. “But then, I can’t use a strap in combat, right? It would just get in the way, and I’d have to be able to switch from swinging it like an axe to playing it, yeah? So what I’ve done, is it’s all infused with gravity Dust, which is partially where the black color comes from. And then I can-” she knocked her fists together twice in quick succession, which caused the thick metal bracelets around her wrists to light up. The bracelets were each about an inch wide, with thick strips running through the middle, covering nearly the entire width of the bracelet, and made of what appeared to be a white, opaque, plastic-like substance. As she activated them, the strips lit up with white light. “I can activate Rock and Roll-- the left one is Rock, the right one is Roll-- and-” a quiet beep could be heard as the bracelets paired with the guitar, the white strips began pulsing with the same black-colored light, “and it keeps Renegade up. They use gravity Dust, and they pair with Renegade, and so now it floats!” She let go of her hold on the guitar, revealing that it stayed in mid air, floating near her bracelets, in perfect position to play. She spoke quickly as she explained the workings of her guitar, obviously very excited to discuss it. She managed to catch herself before she launched into an explanation of how the Dust function worked. She’d at least be able to keep that a secret in combat. She had to physically restrain herself by biting her bottom lip lightly to keep herself from explaining the Dust function. As soon as she was done showing off her guitar she would deactivate it, prompting a sound like that of a generator winding down, then sit back down on the grass, laying Renegade next to her on the ground.

“I mean it’s not like I really dislike being a political statement-- I mean, I get to be a voice for those that don’t have one, and that’s amazing. But I just wish I didn’t have to be a political statement. Like, there are times when it seems like I am defined solely by the fact that I’m a faunus. Why can’t I just be a rock artist who happens to have a wolf tail too? Why does such a tiny trait have to define me so much?” She was clearly very passionate about faunus rights and representation, but she quickly cooled down as Saffron further discussed her watch. She peered over at Saffron’s watch as the redhead began describing it. Saffron had mentioned it was more accessible in combat, leaving Azure to wonder how she used it in a fight. Maybe she could remote control her boomerangs?

“Why the hell would you want to stay in Atlas?” Azure asked before she could stop herself, her lack of filter letting her speak her mind without thinking of the consequences. “It’s cold and drab and awful and places like here are just so much nicer to look at!” She gestured around to the garden as she spoke. “Like yeah there’s few Grimm, but it just seems much more... suffocating. As soon as I graduate from here I’ll probably move here permanently.” She didn’t even realize what she was saying would probably have a negative effect on Saffron-- trash talking the kingdom she’d just said she preferred above all the others, it wasn’t the most mindful thing to do. But Azure couldn’t help it, she spoke her mind without thinking.

Azure shrugged Saffron off, waving her offer away. As she watched the group of laughing students walk away, she realized it must have been because her semblance was still active. “Nah, it’s fine. It’s just my semblance, it gets a little... sensitive when I’m tired, especially after traveling. I’m just...” she gestured vaguely, “I should probably turn it off before that happens again.” She didn’t go into detail about what exactly her semblance was, that, at least, was something she could keep a secret. It wasn’t just to have an advantage in combat, though; she often tried to stay away from having to explain her semblance, as most people found it confusing or unnerving-- they would sometimes become paranoid, and accuse her mind controlling them at times.

As a new voice spoke up, Azure looked up to see who had joined the two of them. Her navy eyes landed on the girl-- clean, pristine, organized, not even a single strand of hair out of place; perfect posture, she seemed more Atlesian than Saffron, and Saffron was the one in an Atlas uniform! And she looked like some type of goddess too: all bright and golden and perfectly kept. Everything Azure wasn’t. Much like her initial reaction to Saffron, Azure found her lying back slightly, assuming a more casual, informal position. She took off her black leather jacket in a motion that seemed nonchalant and meaningless-- why would she need a reason to take off a jacket? Maybe she had just gotten hot-- but was really a subtle attempt to draw the new arrivals attention to the fact that, not only was Azure the only one not in uniform out of the three of them, but also that she technically wasn’t even wearing a shirt. Beneath her jacket, she had on only a dark, charcoal grey sports bra, with her emblem emblazoned on the front in midnight blue. This action also brought to light both her navel piercing, in which she was currently wearing a simple black, curved barbell stud, and her tattoo: a long vine that stretched from somewhere beneath the waistline of her jeans up to the bottom of her ribs, along the left side of her body. The vine was decorated with thorns and flowers. It was, by far, the largest tattoo she had. And thus, she thought, the perfect thing to display to show the newcomer what she should be expecting from Azure.

Azure hadn’t participated in, nor even witnessed, really the tournament of which the two girls spoke (she had been on tour during that time, which left for little time to relax and watch TV), so she couldn’t add any input there. However, after Saffron and Aurelia had introduced themselves, Azure reached up to extend her hand to the new girl. “Azure Blair,” she said, flashing a grin, “might’ve heard of me, might’ve not. Depends on your musical taste.”
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:26:02 PM by Azure Blair »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »
As she’s only just now entering the conversation, Aurelia wasn’t quite sure what to make of the situation presented before her.  On one hand, Saffron had wrapped her arms around the other girl, her faunus trait revealing themselves due to some form of excitement.  On the other hand, as soon as Aurelia walked up, the woman named Azure had stripped her jacket off.  The resulting amount of skin showing did little to assuage Aurelia’s growing concerns.  She had wanted something to do in order to distract herself, but she wasn’t expecting to have to play disciplinarian, especially not to an Atlas student of all people.

”*Ahem* Yes, well, I can relate to the stress quite well, the tournament bouts were all hard-fought battles.  That being said, and while I certainly can appreciate wanting to—shall we say—vent your frustrations, perhaps there are better times and places than the middle of an academy garden in the middle of the day,” Aurelia says to the two of them rather sternly.  In any case, from Aurelia’s tone, it seems clear that Azure’s name doesn’t ring a bell. 

”Anyways, I had merely wandered over to sate my curiosity.  It’s somewhat rare to see an Atlas student here in Vale, and I simply wished to introduce myself,”  she continued, her voice still carrying that stern undertone.  ”Might I ask what brings you to Beacon?  That question goes to you, as well,” she asks, gesturing towards Azure.  As far as Aurelia knows, she’s a total stranger with no visible indication that she is a student of the academy.  She might have been a guest of some sort, perhaps a companion of Saffron’s. 

Turning back to Saffron, Aurelia says, ”You also mentioned that I might be helpful in some way.  If I may be of assistance, I’d be happy to lend a hand. How may I help?”   
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400