Author Topic: At the mountains Summit  (Read 9738 times)

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Re: At the mountains Summit
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:50:53 AM »
The leader of the renegade miners gave a cruel, ugly smile. ‘It’s a dangerous land out ‘dere kiddo or did your mamma never tell ya. But now we got work to do and … er wassa the word…. Quotas, yea quotas to fill.’ The miner’s leader yelled out at Toast. Now as their eyes adjusted to the light ladybug continued the stream into the mining shaft the miners looked like they were getting some of their confidence back. Two kids, Dawn was out of their sight, against four miners seemed good odds to them. They weren’t. Still, they advanced buoyed by their leader's words, their number and size advantage and of course to protect their ‘get-rich-quick scheme.’

Some of the miners laughed at Toast’s second joke but even that was dominated in sound and enthusiasm by the leader’s. ‘Yo’know what’s so funny ‘bout dat, old Steevey here does a few sing jobs, funerals mostly. A bit too much like double dipping for me but I never say no to coin, so what’s this thing you want done. Maybe we can help or maybe we can show you all on your way.’ The mining leader continued her taunts and threats clearly not taking well to Toast’s attempt to calm down the situations. ‘Steevey,’ the one who reacted when his name was called, grinned widely and followed his fellow miners, they had gotten pretty close by now and the miner in the drill had managed to turn it around and was following suit, it looked capable of some pretty crazy speed but for now it’s driver seemed content to slowly catch up to their fellows. Not nothing more than violet taunts have been offered yet.

There was a heavy intake of breath from the other side the speaker Camelia and Cauze. The doctor was clearly annoyed about how the Huntsman team he had requested had delayed themselves as well as finding very little of merit from Camelia. ’I have no questions for you girly, you lot are here to assist me in providing a third-party analysis to these horrible accidents nothing more. Go get your teammates a bring them here, if there are rats in the tunnels we will send exterminators in, no need for you to distract yourself further.’ Dr Cauze lazily responded, what little courtesy he offered was at best backhanded and far more likely sarcastic. 
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
Toast stood casually as the miners approached him, seemingly without a care in the world in regard to the taunts and threats levied at him.  It’s not that he’s oblivious to them, the miners' subtlety leaves much to be desired.  It’s just that he’s confident he’s not in any real danger.

That being said, these “law-abiding citizens” are probably too dumb to realize they’re out of their depth, and they look like they’re raring for a fight.  Unfortunately, a fight isn’t going to get Toast or the rest of the group any of the information they need, and would ultimately be a waste of time.  He needs to give these goons a reason to think for a minute before things get violent.

”Oh yeah, my momma told me all about that.  She makes me tell her about everywhere I go, and if I don’t come back when I say I will, she’ll get real mad and come looking for me,” he says to the miners, hoping they get the implication he’s laying down.

When “Steevey’s” side gig gets brought up, Toast kind of smirks and says, ”Oh yeah?  Rumor has it there’s been an increase in demand in your line of work recently.  I heard somebody’s been taking out Faunus, and, well,” he gestures to his tail, ”I’d rather not end up like them.”

”So,” he continues, as he reaches into his pocket, pulls out a lien card, and starts twirling it between his fingers, ”If y’all know anything about what’s been going on, I’m sure Momma will be too happy to ask about what else I’ve been up to.”  The cat faunus trails off, his tail slowly waving from side to side as he lets his offer sink into the minds of the miners.  In the meantime, Toast sizes up the group of them up and starts thinking about what to do if they need a more heavy-handed approach.

If the miners do attack, Toast won’t draw blades.  Instead, he’ll trip up one of the miners and use the point of contact to activate his semblance with wind dust.  When whatever unfortunate fellow breaks the sphere, he’ll hopefully be blasted back into one of his buddies, taking two of them out in one swoop.  Then, using the distraction that will probably cause, he’ll slip behind the other two miners.

That’s the plan at least, but plans have unfortunate survival rate when running into idiocy.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 12:20:29 PM »
As the exchange went on Revya could feel the tension around him and let his hand rest on the guard of his sword, waiting patiently and hoping things didn't go south.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 03:23:20 AM »
Dawn watched the movements of the miners with narrowed eyes. A warning shot to their feet may be enough to make them shrink back and consider their idea of an attack, but that would also reveal her presence. They didn't seem to have noticed her yet, and the longer she could use that to her advantage the better. Nonetheless, she held up her arm, with Phoenix Flame still aimed at their opponents. First, it was on the group of miners, but then she shifted her focus to the drill and the person inside. She could certainly incapacitate it. Everything would have to be perfectly timed for that though. And what to do after? Who knows how the miners would react to her destroying their machine. With a quick glance to the side, she reassured herself that Dragon's breath was loaded with the right kind of dust. It was risky but possible. She only needs to wait for the right moment. As belligerent as the workers looked, none of them had attacked yet, it would be a mistake for them to make the first move. The four workers were all armed, this shouldn't be a problem for Toast and Revya though. It would surprise her if it was. With this said, she continued to focus on the drill.
Hyperactive weirdo Kisha Miles  - Beacon First Year - Team INKK/Ink
Dragon tamer Mikado Drak - Beacon First Year - Team DASE/Days
Compulsive gamer Dawn Mae - Beacon Second Year - Team ----
Scaredy cat peacock Arcano Blar Baldwin - Beacon First Year - Team ----

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »
Her employer's complete lack of interest and borderline narcissism didn't pass over Cammie's head. Managing to hold back the urge to grind her teeth or tighten her fists, she responded with a stiff yet polite "Yes, sir!" before walking out of the elevator. After having put Orion back in its harness, she legged it back to where she came from, though still alert to any sounds other than her footfalls (which she actively tried to make as quiet as possible despite her speed). Once she came within sight of the shoddy fork in the tunnel, she'd slow down to a mere fast walk until she joined up with her companions.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 07:06:13 AM »
The miners grimaced at being reminded that any missing persons would inevitably draw the ire from the people living above, particularly children. Their operation relied heavily on slipping under the radar of the mining authorities and few things grab headlines like missing children. ‘Fair ‘nough. Dere ‘ave been a few deaths, accidents they top folk say. Us lower folk gettin’ to where they don’t belong. Saw one of dem not long after she crushed herself, looked like a slaughterhouse, must have rangled herself up real good on the cogs. If dere weren’t her glasses nobody would ‘ave recognised her. Celestine or that was her stage name anyhow, used to run with the … was it called… Hipp-drone-e...Hippodrome, yea that’s it. The Prestigious Hippodrome, big circus yonks back they were good fun when I was a runt, don’t know why an I don’t really care.’ The leader answered before gesturing Toast, Revya, and unbeknownst to them Dawn and Camelia to leave. ‘You place dat card down on a rock and we will all get it once we are done here, not a word about dis when you lot get upstairs. Dere ain’t many travellers to Falcon Haven this time of year and fewer still from the tunnels, we’ll be able to find ya and take what we would have gotten here out of your hides.’ The miner's leader shouted her latest, and unless anyone had anything to add, last threat to the party.

By now Camelia would have made her way back to Dawn, Toast and Reyva and she was just in time to see the miners turn around and head back to work. They still spared the group of Hunters and Huntresses in training glances while they worked, only the leader seemed to fully turn her attention back to the task at hand and even in her head, she was still worried about what could happen once Falcon Haven found out about her little operation. She could carry through with her threats, or at least try to but vengeance doesn’t pay bills and she wouldn’t keep her boys loyalty if they didn’t think she could bring in money.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
Toast smirked at the souring expressions of the miners after mention of his “momma”.  Well, he already knew that they didn’t want anyone snooping around their business, so their reactions were to be expected.  Still, there was an odd bit of satisfaction in seeing the thugs go from outright bullying to shrinking violets with the use of a few choice words.

What wasn’t satisfying, however, was the story of Celestine.  For the first time since he landed in Falcon Haven, Toast’s smile fell.  It wasn’t the fact she was a faunus nor the grueling imagery the miner used to describe her death that pissed him off, though.  She was circus folk, like him.  And if this “Hippodrome” was anything like his father’s circus, then they’re only purpose was to make people happy.  And targeting people like that could only be described as a “dick move”.

However, Toast still had a performance to finish, and his smile fell for only a brief moment before returning. ”Don’t worry, Momma won’t hear anything from me,” he assures the miners as they turn to go back to work.  He takes a brief moment to see if he can pick some of their pockets, but they seem to be a bit too wary.  He resists the urge to click his tongue in annoyance and flips the card onto the designated rock before nonchalantly strolling back to the rest of the group.

”Well, I’d say that went pretty well, wouldn’t you?” he asks as they head back toward the elevator, out of earshot of the miners.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
As the group turned to leave Revya was forced to do an awkward 3-point turn in the cave before turning to follow the group. He made sure he was out of earshot before saying "So who exactly should we be reporting them to?"
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
Dawn slowly lowered her arm at the last statement of the miner's leader. She didn't like the idea of ​​turning back now, but if they want it that way, they should get it that way. As she lowered her arm, her other hand moved to her tight-bag, opened it and pulled out her scroll. They still haven't seemed to notice her yet, so she snapped a couple of photos as she slowly moved backwards to fade more and more into the darkness and away from the scene. Good that she always dims the light of her scroll and mutes it before she goes on a mission. As fast as she got the scroll out and took the pictures, she stowed it away again. Since she just pressed the snap button and didn't really care about the focus and quality of the images, there were some useless or too dark ones, but they might still help. But to know that for sure she'd have to take a look at the pictures later.

When Dawn turned to the rest of the group, her eyes fell on Camelia. So she came back after all. Dawn gave her a short shrug as she walked past her and caught up with the rest of the group. "Let's wait until we're up before we discuss anything."

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Cammie arrived just in time to see her companions, err, packing up in a way. She patiently waited for the fledgling conflict to completely de-escalate, then followed her companions back the way they came.

As soon as she couldn't hear the drill rig anymore, Camelia spoke up in a hushed tone. "No can do, Dawn. I went to the elevator and was able to contact our employer, told him about the offshoot. He basically told me off and that that's not why we were here, that they'd send guys in due time. So unless you want to deal with him, stick to, and I quote, 'assisting him in providing a third-party analysis to these horrible accidents, nothing more.'" She wasn't exactly angry when she spoke about it, but a keen ear would've spotted the displeasure.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 07:43:05 AM »
With there altercation with the not-quite-miners dealt with and nothing left to do on the lower levels of the mine the Hunters and Huntresses in training quickly met up and made their way to the elevator. Upon entering the elevator it would automatically start and take the party of four up to Falconhaven. It was a smooth ride, particularly considering the speed they were all moving at but the town above was still a fair bit off and it took a couple of minutes to reach. When the elevator stopped the doors didn't immediately open and the voice which Camelia recognised as Doctor Cauze filled the room. 'Finally you are all here. Welcome to Falconhaven I'm sure your stay will be a short one but do feel free to explore the many different sights before concluding that all these accidents are just that, accidents. Whatever the council might say I can not afford to lower our dust production for your visit so you will liaison with my security teams, one should be outside waiting for you. They will help you get the lay of the land and keep on track.' Doctor Cauze reported quickly before cutting off communications entirely. A few moments later the doors opened.

Falconhaven was a rather beautiful town, effectively fully enclosed the townspeople had clearly gone to great lengths to beautify their home. The ceiling of the cave was painting extensively to show a beautiful sunset full of reds, oranges, yellows and purples and the clouds 'filter' the light from the fading sun which on top of looking nice provided light for the entire cavern. If studied for any length of time it would become clear that the sky painting was slowly changing, darkening to mirror the light outside. There was also obviously no natural greenery but that as well was tackled with paintings as support pillars were painting like trees with even some small animals running all throughout. The houses and other buildings mirrored this look with vines and roses painted over the otherwise very English countryside looking fair. The people, on the other hand, didn't look as colourful, suspicion was clearly rife in the air as people hurried from on their daily commute.

As Doctor Cauze had said there was a squad of three security officers waiting for the Hunters and Huntresses in training to arrive which stood out quite starkly in their dark green uniforms. The citizens did seem to relax a little around the security officers and they shared a few greetings before they caught sight of the party and from then on all greetings where ignored. 'Hello Hunters and Huntresses, my name is Eloise Daily ... Lieutenant Eloise Daily and these are Corporal Davidson and Sargeant Mathews, we have been asked to help in any way we can.' Lieutenant Daily spoke in a friendly and casual manner as she walked a bit forward and waved. Daily was a rather stocky looking brown woman whose black hair was all tied up neatly under her hat. Davidson and Mathews were both rather large white men and their followed their commander's sted and inclined their heads in greeting. It is getting late so it is worth thinking about where you want to stay the night but if you would like to visit any of the sites or review any of the information we can start now if you prefer.' Lieutenant Daily offered.

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
"Report them?  Why?" Toast asks Revya as he saunters out of the off-shoot.  "Didn't you hear them?  They had their 'permits an' everything', not to mention they helped us out."  It's clear from his tone that Toast didn't think those miners were legit, but he doesn't see any reason to report them to the authorities.  After all, betraying info-sources is bad for business.

Meeting back up with Camelia, Toast gives a quick wave before putting his hands back on his head and continuing his stroll through the cave.  Listening to her findings, he grins and responds sarcastically, "Oh, he sounds delightful, can't wait to meet him!"  He picks up on the use of the word "accidents", but doesn't say anything.  Thinking back, the miners said Celestine's death was an accident, too, or at least that's what they were told.  But the impression he got from Sam was that these weren't just accidents.  If they were, they probably wouldn't hire a third party to investigate, right?  Toast's instincts were telling him there was more here than meets the eye...

That being said, speculating in a cave isn't going to get him anywhere, and thus he continues on towards the elevator, never breaking his stride.  Once the entire group was inside, the elevator started its long journey up to the town.  Toast would make a passing comment about the lack of elevator music and would attempt to make small talk with the group during the ride. 

When they finally stop moving, the doors don't immediately open, which causes Toast to tilt his head in a bit of confusion.  However, the speakers soon came to life and projected the voice of what had to be the group's employer.  Unfortunately, he cut off communications before Toast could ask for his name.  So much for first impressions.  "He needs to get laid," he comments as he steps out of the elevator.

Falconhaven itself was a bizarre sight to Toast, to say the least.  He wasn't expecting a town to be entirely within a cave, so all the sights catch him off-guard.  He lets out a low whistle as he watches the artwork in the ceiling and takes some time to admire the painted support pillars.  It's a very pretty town.  It makes the contrast with the people all the more stark, as the inhabitants hurriedly go about their day avoiding eye-contact and keeping to themselves.  Accidents, my ass, Toast thinks to himself as he observes the townspeople.

Unfortunately, there's no time for sightseeing, and he's brought back to business by the greeting of the officers.  "Hiya, I'm Toast!" he greets the lieutenant, shaking her hand, before continuing, "Well, I guess the first thing to ask is if you can catch us up on the investigation so far.  Ya know, names, times and places of death, all that jazz.  The sooner we get started, the better, in my opinion."

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
"You're kidding right. They threatened us and are clearly breaking the law." Was all Revya said in response to Toast and then continued on in silence as they reached the town. He followed what was said and looked in wonder at the beautiful city.

DEXES

• Personal Text
    The weirdo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
"He's not the only one who can inform a supervisor about it," Dawn said in a monotonous voice as she headed toward the elevator with the rest of the group. Whether her employer tells someone about the offshoot or not, it wouldn't stop her from telling someone about it herself. She would write to somebody when they have some free time later. If they have free time. What this person then does with this information was left to the individual himself.

The rest of the way, as well as during the whole the elevator ride, she remained silent. She just stared at her scroll and deleted the blurry pictures she had made. Falcon Haven was a beautiful town, not exactly what she expected, but nevertheless a beautiful sight. At first set at the paintings on ceiling and pillars, she soon turned her gaze to the inhabitants of Falcon Haven. The gloomy atmosphere surrounding them made one heavily doubt the words of their employer. Not that she really believed in the fact that these were just 'accidents' in the first place, especially considering the information given to them by Sam Copper.

She greeted Eloise and the two Corporals with a handshake, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lieutenant. My name is Dawn Mae."

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
After am uneventful walk back, Camelia walked into the elevator, putting Orion onto her back. There was no need to come out into the town ready for combat, all it'd do  On the way up, she definitely came to find Cauze suspicious. Whether it was incompetence, arrogance or culpability, he was far too dismissive for a person in charge. Otherwise the ride was blissfully uneventful, some small talk being the only thing to pass the surprisingly long time. Of note, Camelia raising some very unimpressed eyebrows at Toast's laying comment.

Upon arriving in Falcon Haven proper, she was greeted by a sight that was simultaneously rather exotic as well as familiar. After all, you don't see neat little cottages surrounded by wildlife this often underground, not to mention what seemed to be a massive screen spanning the cavern's entire roof. It all heavily contrasted with the people's mildly dreadful moods, though, almost as if they were waiting for death to come knocking in the form of a neighbour or something.

Despite all this, Camelia manifested a bright, open smile when the security team introduced themselves, gladly shaking the three members' hands. She added to Toast's list of enquiries "Oh and your personal opinions as well, of course. You have far more experience around here than we do."
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"