Author Topic: Stargazing [Open]  (Read 24352 times)

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2018, 02:48:06 AM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:15:46 AM by . »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
Re: Stargazing [Open]
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »
'If you are confident in continuing then sure.' Calen responded a little be amused. Untying the ice packs Calen offered the Faunus a hand up shooting a sideways glance at Amane. Being her teammate the other huntress in training go ahead was all Calen needed to offset any responsibility he felt. But then again Calen could hardly complain about pushing on passed when it would be reasonable to stop and offered the Faunus his shoulder as an aide if Prism needed it as he made his way back over to the targets. 'Trust you remember the rules? You did hit your head pretty hard Prism.' Calen remarked, there was a touch of genuine concern under all the mocking.

Anyway it's your turn to ask so I suppose you will have the benefit of watching a master at work first.' Calen joked as he set up behind the console. Well and truly tipsy by this stage Calen still wouldn't be 'drunk' until the day started proper. The thought drew not a little bit of concern from Calen who relied on his good relationship with his teachers to cover for his racist and otherwise 'disruptive' antics but that would be an issue for future Calen with present Calen focusing on the competition.
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2018, 12:01:41 AM »
There's a bit of a dopey relieved grin on Prism's face as Smokey returns, offering him an apologetic smile. "I'm glad she's okay. God knows my shit would practically backflip off the handle and into the fan if something happened to Hawk's Eye." She replies, looking up at him.

It's undeniable that Prism's a bit more clutzy than normal as she stands up, taking Calen's hand as she returns to her feet. She wobbles for a second or two as she gets her bearing, taking a hesitant step - then decides to forego pride in favor of not falling over again as she places a hand on the taller man's shoulder. Even if Calen means well, its a bit awkward, especially with a height difference that's greater than a foot."No worries, Bojangles. My balance might be a little off right now, but that doesn't mean my memory's any worse. Thanks for the concern, though. I honestly would've thought you'd be happy to have me concussed." she playfully answers, nudging him with her wing as she returns to the console.

Leaning against the console, Prism considers for a moment before reaching out to flick the switch. "So why're you trying to become a hunter?" She finally asks, before pulling the target with a familiar thunk. "Feel free to answer too, if y'all want to share for sharing's sake." Prism says, glancing in the direction of Smokey and Amane.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2018, 01:37:47 AM »
Smokey watched the other three absent-mindedly, as he was far more concerned about how he was going to explain how the holes in the ceiling aren't his fault.  Judging from Prism's character, or at least what he's seen of it, it doesn't seem like she would lie and pin the blame on him.  Calen might, perhaps.  Smokey can't really get a good read on the guy, but he wouldn't put it past him.  The other girl, well, he can't really get a good read on her either, but she seems to be in good with Prism, so chances are she'd take Prism's, and thus Smokey's, side in the matter.  He should be alright, but this probably won't be good for him either way.  Maybe he should invest in a practice pistol, just so things like this stop happening...

"So why're you trying to become a hunter?"

Smokey's brought back to reality with that question, but then immediately sinks back into his thoughts.  The image of a man growing old and sick, withering away before his very eyes, filled his vision.  A corrupt mega-corporation pulls strings on the man's limbs, moving him as if he were a puppet.   There's a piece of paper, official, notarized, and binding, that has two significant markings.  The first is a signature, that of Lucas Emberstone.  The second is a number.

"Money," is all Smokey says, his eyes cast to the ground.
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
'A victory against an unprepared opponent is no victory, it's lazy on both sides. That's all life is a series of challenges and cheating your way past them isn't going to help you in the end. There, in the end, will be a challenge we can't overcome and such a good death can't be cheated.' Calen explained as he led Prism over to the console. She wasn't likely to understand but that never really matters to Calen, no one ever seemed to understand even the nonracist elements of the Shrike's philosophy which were as clear to Calen as gravity. Calen grinned slightly at Prism's question and let Smokey answer before himself. 'Irronically I have a debt as well Master Smokey.' Calen answered throwing his knife just barely clipping the target as it left his range. 'Although mine isn't financial, not to brag but I'm good. Really good and having the skills to save others while not doing anything is wasteful. And a wasteful life is a failed life.' Calen explained offering his hand again to Prism incase the Faunus needed help again stepping into the range proper.

Regardless of the huntress-in-trainings response, Calen took his place by the console again Calen thought a short while for an appropriate question. 'And this is open to both Amane and Smokey as well of course but what would make you stop being a hunter?' Calen asked firing the projectile with an exaggerated tiny touch on the button.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2018, 09:03:43 PM »
Prism's attention isn't initially on Calen as she quietly hears Smokey answer, turning her head in the direction of the gunslinger. Prism hesitates a moment as she bites her lip, considering something, before throwing caution to the wind. "...SDC?" She carefully asks, voice quiet, before turning back to Calen.

"...So what you're saying is there's no honor in victory over someone who can't even defend themselves? I think? And like- if you're gonna die, you might as well die with few regrets?" She questions, trying to dissect his peculiar explanation. "Cause that's what I'm getting at least, but I'm not too sure in this state." She concludes, using Calen's hand to totter her way into place in front of the shooting range. There's a moment as she sways, before sighing and sitting down, going to unlace her heels. "I'm pretty sure that counts as bragging Calen, but it's fair enough. Least you're doing it for good purpose." She says, yanking off the 4-inch wedges with a grunt. "Sometimes I don't know if I'm here for a good reason."

With that, she stands back up - only four inches shorter - and waits for Calen to fire. She doesn't even blink at his question. eyes tracking the flying target instead. "Death." she answers, before reaching for her slingshot and withdrawing a smooth metal ball from the pouch at her waist, letting it fly with a fwap as the elastic snaps. She isn't terribly centered, but she manages to land the shot fairly off-center, which is frankly good enough. Nabbing her shoes and padding back over the console, she leans against it again as she gestures for Calen to walk to the range. "What's the moment that made you want to become a hunter, or what solidified the decision for you?"
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2018, 10:16:55 PM »
"..." The mention of the dust company only receives an even deeper scowl as a response.  It only lasts for a second though, and Smokey fills his end of the silence with a relatively uncharacteristic sarcastic quip, "What do they have to do with anything?  Bag a few big Grimm, find some rich bimbo to sponsor you, and you can retire at the age of thirty.  Think that answers Calen's question, too, so there ya' go."

"Also, think he's talking about the concept of noblesse oblige.  Ya know, he's capable, so he's obligated.  Though, you were right about one thing: that's definitely bragging," he continued, forcing a change of subject, at least until Prism asked her next question.

Smokey contemplated Prism's question.  This one he could actually answer straight.  "I saw a bounty board for Grimm once.  There's some big numbers out there.  You can make a lot of money real quick if you got the stones."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:28:03 AM by ReaperJoe »
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
'Is that the phrase? Noblesse oblige, we never had a word for it. It was just what was done. But I wish you the best of like with your bimbo hunt, my advice would be widows to each their own.' Calen responded exaggeratedly pronouncing 'noblesse oblige.' 'Honour is a bit of a weighted term but it some ways, like how a hunter may honour a deer with a clean kill but none of that chivalry or bushido stuff. But yea close enough. And that's a good answer' Calen continued turning to face Prism. It was interesting that this exercise was to find out more about Prism but instead he was getting more of an insight into Smokey. No one ever wants money, they want what you can buy with money and this combined with a father is weapons manufacturing as well as hostility to SDC the rest wasn't hard to piece together.

Taking his place at the range Calen was initially off-put by the duel question but quickly made a decision. 'Easy, seeing my parents move.' Calen answered, his eyes widening as if lost in memory even as he sent his knife hurling straight into the target with a satisfying thunk. 'You might have thought me braggadocious before by these two... it's hard to put into words. Such perfect grace, lightning speed, and terrifying strength. It was a privilege beyond measure to be taught by them.' Calen continued wistfully, using his family's definition of a hunter to get around telling the story where a stranger saved his life.

Calen sat by the console pondering his next question before deciding to try to take a different tact. 'Who has impressed you most with what they’ve accomplished?' Calen asked thinking that often how one interacts with others tells you more about them than interacting with them directly. 'Again all are welcome to throw their answers out, loudly if possible to distract Prism here.' Calen finished finally triggering the firing mechanism.

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:47:55 AM by . »

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 11:13:23 PM »
Prism's quiet for a few moments as the target flies far, before very faintly answering. "My dad." Reaching for Hawk's Eye, she brings it up track the target almost automatically - still managing to shatter it, even if the shot was very off-center. "Moved to Vale from Menagerie with nothing but my mom, a couple hundred lien, and the clothes on his back. Built a business as a weaponsmith up from nothing, till he was a go-to for a lot of famous hunters. Unfortunately, that's a delicate field..." She cuts herself off there, shaking her head. Apparently she said a bit more than she meant to.

Walking over to the console, Prism gestures for Calen to take her place as she responds to Amane and Smokey. "Huh, well there's something you two have in common. Liking, or causing big explosions." She says, leaning against the console. "And honestly, I can't blame ya' - being a hunter's good pay." There's another beat as she waits, trying to think of a question, before she reaches for the console. "Funniest thing that's happened to you after moving in with four strangers?"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:55:35 PM by Moth »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 11:53:54 PM »
"Huh, that's a good question.  I don't think I've ever thought about it, to be honest," Smokey half-lied to Calen's question.  It's true that he never really considered the question before, but he could pretty easily think of an answer.  Problem was, that answer had a bit more baggage than Smokey was willing to share.  Besides, it's not like he's competing in this weird game.

There was a bit of familiarity in Prism's story though.  Maybe not quite as "bare-bones" of a start in the Emberstone version, but there was definitely a good bit of overlap.  Interesting...  Still, sounds like there's a lot of baggage for Prism, there, too.  Best to stay out of it. 

Prism's next question brought a very different image to mind.  The first day he met his team, he may or may not have pointed the biggest gun in Remnant at one of his teammates.  It was funny to Smokey, sure, and the three present have already seen his short fuse in action.  But they don't need to know just how short it is.  The compensation jokes alone would be unbearable.  Instead, Smokey shrugged and said, "Kinda only just met my team, nothing stands out yet.  Hell, we haven't even had our initiation yet, so..."  A believable lie, if there ever was one. 

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2018, 06:03:32 AM »
'It's the little things like how they deal with school work.' Calen responded, taking a little too long thinking about his answer so he needed to use his semblance to still hit the target. 'All the excuses people come up with not to do things we all know we all have to do is always quite amusing.' Calen explained, trying to take the middle road between easy to explain and not to compromise to his own image, his reputation as the team trickster was well deserved and being the team cook gave him plenty of opportunities to play out his role. Shaking his head as amusing situations replayed themselves inside his head the Calen stepped away from the range.

Calen smirked slightly given everyone's responses, only Prism seemed to be answering even slightly genuinely and even then there was clearly something more there. It was becoming a funny type of game, with everyone carefully stepping around their own personal triggers. Regardless they were still informative in their own way and Calen settled down to ask his next question. 'Favourite team member?' Calen asked gleefully, interested if Amane being present will change Prisms response at all.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2018, 02:48:18 AM »
Surprisingly, it doesn't take Prism long to answer. "Jocelyn," she says, bringing the rifle up to fire off a shot and turn the target to pieces - not even bothering with the scope. She nods in satisfaction, before turning to Calen. "One has a poorly-concealed faunus fetish, and this one-" She nods to Amane. "Though I ate bugs. Currently, Jocelyn's the only one who hasn't had some racist caricature about me yet." She explains, though her tone is very obviously friendly and teasing - it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Prism walks back over to the console, changing places with Calen before glancing to Smokey. "Quick tip: figure out everyone's bathing schedule, and fast. You don't want to get stuck late for class just because one of your teammates takes forever styling his hair." She offers - it should be clear to Amane who she was talking about. Turning back to Calen, there's a moment of quiet before she manages to come up with the question. "What's led you to use the weapons that you use and fight the way you do?"

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2018, 03:24:38 PM »
"Favorite team member?  Hmm," Smokey contemplated.  Let's see, how does he feel about his team right now?  Mikado's a bit of a prick, so not him.  Billy just woke him up in the middle of the night, so he's not happy with her right now, either.  That leaves...

"Gonna have to nominate our 'Fearless Leader' Serin Avery for that honor.  At the very least, man's got the stones for the job," Smokey concludes.  Serin jumped in front of the barrel of the Good News, probably the most destructive weapon in Beacon, with almost no hesitation.  Even if the gun wasn't loaded, that still took a lot of guts, so Serin has earned the title "Fearless Leader" whether he likes it or not.  Plus, he called Mikado a dick to his face, which is definitely points in Smokey's book. 

Smokey makes to comment on the bug-eating, but stops and wisely closes his mouth.  He, too, could've sworn that was a thing, but it was probably best to look that up in his own free time.  Instead, he answers Prism's other question, "Easy, because I can."

An actually true answer, this time, but still not the whole story.  Although, this half-truth was brought on not because of concerns of privacy, but brevity.  The real answer would probably warrant a 10-page essay on its own.  After all, why would a huntsman of the modern age forego a sword, or any form of melee weapon?  Why would someone who uses guns get so close to a fight?  It's too early in the morning for a sleep-addled Smokey to properly address these issues.  Besides, his current answer is completely true:  he, and no one else, can.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
'Faunus fetish? I didn't know that was even a thing.' Calen responded with genuine confusion. Calen more than most was aware of the depravities the human mind was capable of but finding sexual attraction in wings or strange eyes or additional ears was beyond even his experience. 'Honestly I'd rather people spending too long cleaning themselves than not enough, Anna is blind but that doesn't excuse the state she leaves her hair most of the time and both Setsuna and Teddy believe in those 8-in-1 body washes. Luckily I have a place in the city for when we get on each other's nerves too much.' Calen responded, his voice quickly turning from confusion to annoyance. It was clearly something that irked him greatly.

'Training, years of it.' Calen responded quickly, showing some of that training hitting the target dead center as it sped away. 'I am from a family of hunters but I didn't touch a weapon of any kind until I was old enough to attend Signal. Before that, it was all about understanding how my body moved, how to maximise its effectiveness and then I built my style from the second I laid my hand on my glaive.' Calen explained grandiosely, it was a strange training regime but it ensured personalised styles and prevented any weaknesses getting passed down.

Calen thought for a few moments before asking his own question. 'Do you ever think there will be peace between the humans and Faunus?' Calen asked as he fired yet another projectile. Substantially more open-ended than his previous questions Calen was still interested in how Prism would respond, not that he particularly cares one way or another but getting another Faunus's position could be interesting.