Author Topic: Stargazing [Open]  (Read 24319 times)

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
Re: Stargazing [Open]
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2018, 01:25:31 AM »
"I know what priceless--ya know what, forget it, I'm not getting anywhere with you," Smokey sighed, signaling he's giving up his argument with Calen.  He knows when something's going nowhere fast.  Just look at his semblance!

Instead, he turns towards the tiny faunus that's about to attempt to hit a target not even a stone's throw away.  She seems confident, and Smokey can tell by the way she loads the cylinder that she's no amateur.  Unfortunately for her, it'll take much more than standard weapons experience to handle his gun.  He has first hand experience trying to fire it without his semblance.  The first time he tried, he shot out part of the ceiling in his dad's range and clocked himself in the face.  The second time was immediately after that, when he accidentally squeezed the trigger again after essentially pistol whipping himself.  He doesn't really remember the full aftermath of that, but he does know that he was forced to patch up two holes in the ceiling.

Those memories resurface as Prism lines up her shot, using both hands to hold the revolver.  "I mean, I guess you can use two hands.  I don't have to, though," Smokey snarked while pretending to check his fingernails.  He doesn't even bother to look up at first when she gets blasted to the floor moments later.  When she remarks about the kick, Smokey idly looks down. "Ya think so?  Guess I shouldn't let you try and fire the other gun, then," he says, amused.  His eyes then flick up to the target and--

Wait.  What?  Smokey's eyebrows go up slightly as he notices the singe marks on the target.  ...Okay, that was probably a fluke.  But maaaaaybe he should subtly check his scroll to see if any donut shops are open nearby. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:28:24 AM by ReaperJoe »
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
'It might hurt my aim but it helps answers come easier, might draw even.' Calen responded happily but did slow down his drinking anyway. Calen was on his feet the instant the gun fired and used his semblance to burst over Prism's wings to her crumbled form and offered a hand to get up, wobbling slightly himself. 'Try not to get knocked on your arse Prism it'll hurt your aim.' Calen mocked glibly. It was an impressive weapon however, even if Prism failed to hit the target the wall behind showed significant scaring. Calen grimaced internally imagining himself on the receiving end before turning to Smokey. 'You have a larger gun? Why don't you test that out?' Calen finished
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 12:29:23 AM »
"Oh, suck a fat chode Bojangles." Prism manages to utter in response to Calen's insult, apparently still a little winded to respond cleverly. Regardless, she manages to sit back up - reaching for Calen's hand and using it to pull herself to her feet, wobbling for a moment on her wedges before finally steadying herself. "...Thanks, regardless."

She spares a glance to Smokey, one eyebrow cocked at the mention of another weapon. "If this is your regular gun, I don't wanna see the other. Let's not bring that onto the court please." She mentions, before resuming her previous stance as she stares down the target. She just grazed it that time, she'll need to do better - but she won't be able to pull that off if she keeps getting knocked off her feet. "...hope you don't mind me changing it up a little, would you?"

At her words, there's a sudden gust of wind through the training range, culminating in a updraft around Prism - the woman's wings extend to their full length and become a familiar iridescent blur, coming to hover a couple of meters off the ground with help from the wind. The updraft then dies down, and Prism's wings are the only thing keeping her aloft, letting her hover nearly perfectly still midair. The woman brings the gun up again and peers down the barrel and takes a breath to steady herself-

ka-Koom! kakoo- ka-Koom!

Three shots this time, all in rapid succession. Prism's position in the air seems to help, managing the gun's recoil with the help of her wings. Despite her display of confidence with the rapid shots, Prism still unfortunately misses every single one  - while the first two sail wide, the third manages to wiz by close enough to the target to further darken the scorch marks.

Slowly but surely, she's getting the hang of it.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:58 AM »
Smokey snickers a bit at Calen's and Prism's reactions to his statement about "the other gun."  "Well, as much as I'd want to bring her out, unless anyone's willing to shell out 200 lien per shot, she'll have to stay hidden for now.  Besides, I'm not 100% sure this range could handle her," Smokey responded.  He wasn't exaggerating either.  He knows that he's not the only heavy weapon user at Beacon, and this weapons range is a fairly state-of-the-art site, but there's still a good chance the Good News could cause some serious damage.  And after being barred from the weight room until it's repaired, Smokey doesn't really want to risk losing the only other major stress relief he has. 

He's knocked out of his thoughts by the sudden gust of wind that seems to blow from nowhere, and he reflexively activates his own semblance in answer.  He didn't need it, obviously, and the gray haze surrounding his form disappears as quickly as it came.  Curiously, his coat only billows after his semblance goes down. 

Smokey watches Prism's plan of action unfurl.  It seems she's more stable while she holds herself aloft in the air.  "Seems," however, is the operative word.  While it is indeed easier for her to stay on her feet-- er, on her wings?-- Smokey notices Matchstick's recoil still pushes her back.  Yes, the force of her semblance counter-acts it, but as far as Smokey can tell, she's forced to use the wind reactively to stabilize herself.  That means there's a slight moment where her position is moved back by Matchstick before her wings reset her position.  If her position changes during the firing sequence, the chance of her hitting the target at all goes down tremendously.  The fact she's scoring hits at all are flukes.  Maybe it's time for a hint...

"That's a neat trick and all, but have you ever wondered why my symbol is a volcano?  Eh, maybe I'm just projecting.  Keep at it, you'll have those donuts in no time," Smokey said casually.  Was that too much?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:27:26 PM by ReaperJoe »
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »
Calen raised an eyebrow at Prism's swearing. 'At ease sailor, you are on land now.' Calen mocked. Stepping away from Prism as she went for her second attempt using her semblance to provide more support against the recoil Calen carefully studied how the gun kicked back. Having seen the Faunus's semblance in action before Calen managed to remove the updraft from the action instead focusing on purely the weapon the gaunt boy came up with a possible solution. His own semblance could maybe cancel out the velocity behind the kick back for a few moments but there was no way a novice gunslinger like Calen could aim such a weapon by himself. 'I do have a suggestion Prism, perhaps I can be of some assistance in absorbing the recoil? At least until you've gotten more use to the weapon.' Calen offered at least seemingly happy to help.

If Prism accepts his offer Calen will position himself behind the faunus matching her arm positions letting the former aim while him prepared to activate him semblance at a moments notice. Regardless Calen turned around to face Smokey. 'Quite a funny catch 22, if you can't train then you are more likely to make mistakes in the field. Have you thought about going down to Forever Fall?' Calen asked, he didn't touch the volcano comment. Both not trusting himself to keep it straight and being a bit worried what it meant about what would happen to the range if Smokey decided to prove it was what he thought.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
Prism gives a disappointed sigh out of her nose as every shot misses, fluttering slightly lower before she lands back on the ground. The hummingbird faunus is staring down the target, wheels obviously ticking and turning in her head. The gun has a heavy kick, Smokey can only really fire it because he doesn't need to deal with any kickback. His symbol is a volcano, his semblance makes him literally rock-solid. So Prism would need to...

"...the offer's appreciated Calen, but I'm afraid my pride won't let me accept help until I'm at least on my last shot. If don't get these two, we'll try your way." She says, glancing towards Calen. The updraft kicks in again, and she rises a couple meters into the air. There's a new light to her eyes, and she pulls the gun a little closer, and a little tighter to her body. It's tilted downwards and a little to the left of the target, but her eyes fixate on the goal regardless. She stares down the barrel, takes a breath to steady herself, and...

ka-Koom!

At the same moment the gun fires, Prism's wings flick forwards, propelling her forwards against the gun's recoil. It helps her stay in the same place in the air in comparison to her prior shots, but the gun has it's unavoidable kick up and to the right, but she'd prepared to for that - and the result came in the form of a wicked smile blooming on her face as she stares down the remains of the target. The entire head and a good portion of the left shoulder are missing, causing the rest to crumple to the ground.

That wicked smile stays in place as Prism's wings slow their flutter, and she comes back to the ground. The gun's hoisted up in one hand to rest on her shoulder, the other on her hip as she turns to face Smokey with that same cocky smirk he wore earlier. "The only one in Beacon who can fire this gun, huh?"
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
"Uh, if I brought her out to Forever Fall, she'd probably burn a good chunk of the forest down, so that's a no-go, too.  Fortunately, I only really need to hit the broadside of a barn, 'cause she's only supposed to be pointed at really big targets, like a Giant Never--"

Smokey's cut off as another shot from Matchstick rings out, drawing his attention back to the range.  His eyes first notice Prism still in the air, and Smokey loses any air of concern he might have had.  There's no way she could be stable enough in the air to hit anything.  He confirms his theory by looking down range at the target.  Yup, there's no head there, clearly a miss...wait.

Smokey does a double-take and looks at the now-crumpled target on the ground and mouths something to the effect of "what the hell?" before shifting his gaze back to Prism, who is now wearing a proud and triumphant smirk.  Oh, she thinks she's hot stuff, huh?

Smokey starts to sport a look of slight annoyance, and says "Wow, you hit a non-moving target barely 10 yards out.  And it only took you five tries, too.  You must be so proud of yourself."  He walks over to the console and starts inputting a new setup.  "Tell ya what, though.  Since you're so good, maybe you'd like to up the stakes a little bit.  You got two shots left, how about double-or-nothing?" 

A new target pops up, but this time it's 60 feet out and in a spot that forces a slightly different angle.  It's still not moving, but the new position ensures that muscle memory won't help Prism in hitting this target, if she accepts the challenge.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:14:26 AM by . »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
'Then don't shoot at the trees genius, but if you are sure I'll leave you to your craft and barnyard sized Grimm.' Calen responded slightly annoyed. Most of that vanished when Prism managed to finally hit the target after however many shots it took. Although Calen is rather dismissive of the whole firearms thing the faunus's enthusiasm was rather hard to ignore completely. Cracking as small smile as Smokey increased the challenge Calen took out his scroll mostly to check the time and left Prism and Smokey alone for a bit and went back to his own practicing.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 08:33:00 PM »
The look of triumph on Prism's face falls as Calen and Smokey continue to banter, lowering the gun from her shoulder to point to the ground next to her. As Smokey's cut off, there's a visible change to the faunus' frame. Her back goes ramrod straight as her wings immediately pull in, she holds Matchstick just a bit tighter, and a tense look crossing her face before she takes a breath. She wouldn't admit to it, but there's a very slight shake to her entire body - it's almost as if she's afraid of something. She barely registers Smokey's challenge, though she at least acknowledges he's speaking to her by turning in her direction, and she starts to raise the gun with trembling hand as if to return it. "No, I'm thinking it might be best if we like, actually call- call it here-"

ka-Koom!

Prism's unsteady hand was just a bit too flighty - and apparently had just grip that was a tad too tight on Matchstick's trigger. The powerful gun goes off while it's still pointed downwards, partially obliterating Prism's right boot - and immediately causing her to shriek in pain and draw the gun upwards, where it goes off again from the sudden jerk. This shot drives the butt of the gun directly into Prism's face before the recoil sends her tumbling backwards to hit the ground, wings splayed wide as Matchstick's left on the ground, her hands going to cover her nose as she starts to curl into the fetal position.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:30:24 PM by Moth »

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:11:22 AM by . »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2018, 12:23:45 AM »
Confused, Smokey raises an eyebrow at Prism's sudden deflation.  "Uh, are you alri--" Smokey is once again cutoff by Matchstick's retort, but this time he jumps in surprise.  "Jeezus fu--" the gun goes off again, this time blowing a hole in the ceiling, causing a light amount of debris to fall.  Seeing the gun start to fall to the ground, Smokey dives to try and catch it.  It's ungraceful, like a middle school belly flop competition, but he does manage to keep the gun from hitting the floor. 

He spends a few seconds looking over it and making sure it's undamaged before turning to the culprit, visibly angry.  "ARE YOU DENSE?  DID YOU SERIOUSLY NEVER LEARN HOW TO HOLD A GUN?  EVEN WORSE, DID YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER OF MY GUN? I HOPE IT CLOCKED YOU GOOD, 'CAUSE YOU DAMN SURE NEED SOME SENSE KNOCKED INTO YOU," Smokey bellowed right into Prism's face, completely oblivious to what really caused the episode, before getting back up to his feet and dusting himself and his gun off.  Holstering it, his head scanned the room observing the aftermath of Prism's and now his outburst.

Smokey took an audibly deep breath.  Great, he'd lost his cool again.  And from the looks of things, he doesn't think his temper will go back down anytime soon.  Best course of action right now would be to leave.  Fantastic.  Why can't he make any friends?

His expression still soured with a glaring frown, Smokey storms off from the shooting range.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
'I wouldn't suppose you would like a proper drink now?' Calen remarked as he took two cylinders of ice dust out of his pack and wrapped them in cloth. Parsing one to Amane Calen set his second pack on Prisms injured foot. 'Can you calm down please? Only one of us here deliberately shoots themselves in the foot and it isn't the bird' Calen continued not looking up at Smokey as he turned to leave the shooting range. The lack of blood meant the worse hadn't happened, She must have gotten her aura up before the blast cut through her clothes.' Calen thought to himself, impressive reaction but considering how on edge she had gotten just before her aura may have been up before.

'If she is unresponsive I can carry her up to sick bay, it's probably just a concussion but that means she should be resting. And the shooting range isn't the best place for that.' Calen offered after fastening his ice pack over the injured foot. 'Or maybe just her dorm, you two are in the same team right Amane?' Calen asked. The whole episode was very unexpected and Calen was replaying the event back in his head trying to find a trigger but wasn't successful given what he had to go on. At least I technically didn't lose our challenge. Calen thought to himself taking some small solace still the disappointment sat heavy on his chest of a lost challenge, well there is always next time.

'If you have somewhere else to be Master Smokey don't let us keep you but don't feel obliged to leave. Even if it only to have another voice explaining why you weapon has left holes in the shooting range, and not on the targets.' Calen called out hoping to catch the fellow first year before he got through the door after noticing the chunky lad wasn't nearby.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
Prism's ears are still ringing as Smokey begins to bellow, causing the small faunus to flinch. Drawing herself into a tighter ball on her side, the hummingbird's wings slowly creep up to protect her small form, as if to shield herself from the words. It's an honestly pitiful sight, and lasts until Smokey starts to storm away - and Amane approaches to crouch down next to her team leader, when Calen then drops the icepack on her foot.

Giving a long groan as an immediate response, Prism goes to pull her wings flat against her back before slowly starting to sit up, reaching out to use Amane's shoulder as an anchor. There's another moment or two of quiet as she gingerly reaches up to feel her nose before flinching at her own touch, hissing slightly. "I'm okay... I think? Nose hurts like a bitch, n' I think my leg isn't doing much better. Got aura up just in time, thank fuck - don't think I'd have a right leg anymore if so." She carefully answers Amane, going to rub the back of her head at the impact as her words slur ever-so-slightly. "Dunno' bout a concussion, we'll needta' see, I guess. Thanks for the icepacks though."

Prism needs to blink a few more times to clean the fog from her eyes before she notices Smokey's storming away, and Calen's taunting him as he goes. "Holdon, Smokey! At least lemme know if Matchstick's okay, n' lemme like, give you my contact info or whatever! If she needs repairs, the bill should at least be on me, yeah?" She calls out, her voice a little clearer. There's an honest tinge of shame to her voice as she speaks, trying to make it loud enough he can hear it as he storms away. "I'm sorry I like- dropped your gun. I- well- I got distracted when I heard something that... kinda brings back bad memories. Put me on edge, was gripping the gun a bit too tight cause y'know', flight or fight instincts, hah, bird puns," She says, a hint of humor creeping into her voice, before resuming the remorseful apology. "Point was, you were right, wasn't thinkin' bout how I was holdin' it or anything, was just trying not to freak out and ended up too twitchy. So yeah, least lemme like. Pay for whatever repairs she needs. Please."

Apology clumsily finished, she turned her attention back to the two who were more concerned over her physical well-being than she actually was, going to fold her left leg under her while keeping her right extended. She at least doesn't need to use Amane as an anchor anymore, and can lean back on her own hands, offering Calen a lopsided (albeit slightly dazed) grin. "The offer's appreciated Calen, but I'm not that helpless - n' did you seriously think I'd let you off so easily? C'mon, we've still got a challenge to finish."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:51:27 PM by Moth »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
Smokey had half a mind to keep going as Prism made her babbling, slurring apology.  All things considered, he's tired, cranky, and his gun just caused significant damage to the establishment for the second time since he started attending Beacon.  The last thing he needs to happen is something else that makes him fly off the handle. 

But, well, it's maybe, probably, just a little bit his fault as well.  After all, he let her use the gun knowing full well what it could do.  So, Smokey did the only thing that made sense to him:  he let the gun decide.

Taking out the revolver once more, he examined matchstick for any marks, scratches, dents, or any other form of damage.  He checks the moving parts, shifting the gun between its two forms a few times and rotating the chamber around to make sure it spins properly.  The entire process takes about a minute, and, depending on who you are, it could very well be a somewhat uncomfortable silence. 

Ultimately, the gun is undamaged.  Any misalignments present are either negligible or easily fixed with minor tweaking.  Prism's lucky.  Turning back towards her, and the two tending to her, he sighs and says, "Don't worry 'bout it, she's fine.  You should probably head to an infirmary, though, just to make sure you're alright."

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400