Author Topic: Weekly Prompt Winners  (Read 2155 times)

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Weekly Prompt Winners
« on: July 28, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
This thread will be reserved for the winners of each week's prompt.
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Prompt Winners
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:06:32 PM »
Tell me about a time your character was beaten, broken, defeated, or failed.

Moth

Canon: Snapping Memories - Prism Skylark

Melonia Saphron had built her life from the ground up. The daughter of a widow who’s husband died during the Faunus Rights Revolution, the family had emigrated from early-day Menagerie to the city of Vale in order to try and find, and fund, a better life. The woman was made and molded in tense tolerance between human and Faunus in the early days afterwards, when Faunus were officially equals in the eyes of the law, even if they weren’t in the eyes of most humans. After a rough childhood on the streets learning to brawl and defend herself, a harsh breakup with her human boyfriend that cast her out onto the streets, a brief stint as part of a lesbian wrestling troop that would travel all over the continent (she still fondly remembers her days spent in Vacuo) where she went by the nickname “Bouncin’ Betty”, Melonia had eventually found her calling working at a bar in the shithole side of Vacuo - making drinks. It started with a love of fruity cocktails and the fun show of mixing, before it progressed to her fascination with the art of making drinks themselves - especially smoothies. Before long, she’d started attending a regional drinks class (with night classes taken at a cooking school) in order to teach herself the skills she’d earned, packed up all the money she made from tips, and bought a one-way ticket back to the city of Vale. Buying a rundown shop in faunus quarter of the city was a gamble, but it was a gamble that paid off after a couple of years - the derelict shop, after two small loans and a fuckton of TLC, had become one of the most popular spots for humans and faunus alike in search of delicious drinks.

The shop was Melonia’s pride and joy. Growing up in the bloody aftermath of the Revolution, she understood how hard it was for most faunus children to make a livelihood of themselves - and made a point to hire an all-faunus staff who she saw the potential in, whether they were 15 or 40 years old, high school students to ex-cons. She’d recently taken a particular gamble on one of those high school students - a tiny thing by the name of Prism Skylark, who’d marched into her shop on the day for interviews and had answered every single one of her questions with a vivacity that was usually reserved for the most hardened of hunters. Melonia could see the same young faunus she once was in the teenager, only with more purpose and direction than she’d ever had at that age - it was obvious who her next worker was going to be. And indeed, it was a gamble that quickly payed off - the hummingbird faunus worked twice as hard as nearly any other worker with a speed and efficiency that was simply alarming. Constantly showing up 10 minutes early, working every bit of available overtime and going up and beyond the necessities, she was single-minded, consistently focused, constantly professional - Melonia couldn’t help wonder what could drive such determination. To put it simply, the teenage faunus had become an invaluable part of the workforce nearly immediately.

So why, she couldn’t help but wonder, was her star employee late? Prism Skylark didn’t do late - as far as she knew, it was a physical impossibility

When Prism stumbled through the door nearly fifteen minutes late, looking like she’d been through a hurricane and back to get there, not even in uniform and her face streaked in tear marks, the kangaroo faunus waiting just inside the doorway knew something serious went down.

“Prism, can I ask why you’re late, sugar?” She carefully said, soft but stern.

Prism had taken one look at her stern-but-concerned boss, and had immediately burst into tears.

Melonia spends a moment, then two staring in shock; before morphing from stern boss to worried guardian in a series of seconds. Her arm’s around the tiny girl, guiding her back towards the office, barking at her staff to give them a few minutes while shielding the distraught hummingbird from view, and finally shepherding her into the office. Prism is immediately sat down in the folding chair across from her desk as Malina rapidly shoved papers to the side to find her buried tissue box, giving it to Prism before plopping into the rolling chair across from here. She leans back and lets Prism sob for a solid five minutes as the sobbing turns to sniffles, before she blows her nose - and finally looks up towards Melonia.

“...What happened, sugar.”

Prism can’t physically answer, but her hands fly to the drawstring bag she always carries. Carefully reaching inside, she withdraws something wrapped in a handkerchief, setting it on the desk between the two as if it’s made of the most fragile china. Melonia glances from it to Prism where she quietly nods, before pulling the handkerchief towards her. Large hands very carefully undo the knots, pulling back the fabric one layer at a time, until the inside reveals-

...A metal slingshot with a snapped elastic?

Prism takes one look at it, before tears start to leak from her eyes in abundance again as she buries her face her hands. Melonia lets her quietly sob as she very carefully picks it up, turning it over to observe the broken tool. It’s rubber handle is worn but in good use, and the metal seems solid, other than the occasional scratch. The elastic strap is beyond well-used, and there’s stress marks where it’d finally snapped, presumably under Prism’s usage. It’s most peculiar attribute where feathers strapped to one side of the slingshot by a worn rubber band. There were three - one in yellow, one in red, and one in pink. They were all fairly long, and surprisingly excellent shape, not even bent or broken. Melonia raises one hand, going to stroke one of the feathers between her thumb and forefinger-

“Don’t.”

Melonia almost starts, so focused on the slingshot in front of her. Prism’s gone from quietly sobbing to practically staring daggers at her boss, no trace of sobbing in her voice beyond a tired strain with the threat of Melonia touching the feathers. The kangaroo faunus replies, carefully nodding and setting the slingshot back on the desk. 

Prism takes a few fragile breaths before sighing, dry-swallowing as her eyes are cast to the ground. “The elastic snapped when I was practicing my aim before work. It was something my dad made, so-” She doesn’t finish, her voice cutting out as chokes on her own words.

Melonia blinks at Prism’s explanation. “Isn’t your guardian like, Madame Bernard or somethin’?”

Prism’s quiet for another moment, and Melonia wouldn’t have even heard her if it weren’t for the second pair of ears atop her head. “...I’m a part of Vale’s fostercare system. I’ve been since- since-” She doesn’t finish again, tears starting to leak in abundance once again.

Oh.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out context. Melonia reaches across the desk to take the hummingbird faunus’ hand, but Prism practically flinches away. “I- I might b-be pitiful, but I’m not a charity case, Melonia.”

Melonia simply gives a quiet sigh and nods in understanding, lacing her hands together and resting her chin on them. “We can count this as one of your sick days, and I won’t penalize you for being late given the…” she gestures to the rest of Prism, still an absolute wreck with feathers all askew. “...circumstances.”

Prism simply nods, reaches out to carefully retie her slingshot, and gets up to leave. Melonia carefully watches her as she leaves, and she has one wing out the door before she turns to poke her head back into the office. “...thanks, Melonia.”

The kangaroo faunus waves her hand nonchalantly. “Go feel better, m’kay P?”

“...yes, ma’am.”

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »
Tell us about a time your character fell in love. With anything - an object, a hobby, or even a person.

NotSurprised

Canon: A Blooming Flower - Hunter d’Azur

Shit.

Halfway through his taxi ride, Hunter had just received lots of colorful texts from his beloved team leader. The message was simple: when he’d come back to his team’s dorm, he’s 90% sure that he’s going to end up dead. Was it his fault though? He felt hungry and decided to take an unsolicited excursion, so what? Yeah, the assignment’s due tomorrow and all, but there’s really no need to rush. After all, he’s pretty sure that he can get it done and still get a passing grade. As he pondered about how dead he’s going to be, his taxi finally parked right next to the market he always visits.

Roaming the aisles for what he wants, his thoughts couldn’t help but come back to his team leader. With his body on autopilot and grabbing a grocery bag that will soon be stuffed with instant noodles, Hunter started thinking more and more about his team leader and their current situation. He’s not sure why their partnership is functional as it is. She’s strict and he’s easy-going. She’s always angry and he’s usually calm. Most of all, she’s kinda racist and he’s a faunus, albeit he is disguised at the moment. Honestly, Hunter’s not too sure why he’s so caught up with his team leader when he can just leave Atlas after they graduate. Yet he couldn’t help but feel pain when he considered that option. In fact, now that he thinks about it, he noticed a lot of other things. He couldn’t stop his fluttering heart whenever they’re together. He couldn’t stop his quivering voice whenever they’re talking. Truly, he couldn’t help but be nervous when she’s with him. Shaking his head of silly and embarrassing thoughts, he notices that he had fully filled up his grocery bag with instant noodles while he was thinking. Hunter should really return some of them but in the end, his desire for instant noodles won over his reason.

Moving to checkout with his cheap items, Hunter’s thoughts returned to his stupid team leader. Why hasn’t he been antagonizing her back for all the pain she’s causing him? He’s the one that never starts the problem but she always ends up ragging on him for it. In fact, he shouldn’t like her! He doesn’t like her stupid smirk whenever she outdoes him, or her stupid prim and proper uniform that fits her in every way. In fact, he doesn’t like her stupid chestnut hair that accentuates her beauty and makes him want to- Wait a second. With a suddenly red face, Hunter tries to clear his thoughts as best he could and goes to finish up his checkout before noticing some flowers nearby. He really should just leave before making a mistake...

”How much are the flowers?”

If it was anyone else, Hunter would laugh. Unfortunately, Hunter is the current laughing stock. He's blushing and full of nerves as he's holding a bag full of instant noodles in one hand and flowers in the other. In fact, getting back into the taxi was a little more embarrassing with the driver smirking at him the entire time. Scooting into his seat and trying to make himself look as small as possible, the taxi starts driving back to the academy. Looking out the window and wishing that he’d disappear because he can’t deal with all the embarrassment, the taxi driver’s rough yet teasing voice cuts through his thoughts.

”Hey kid, you in love?”

Hunter’s face got even more red as he thought about it. Is he in love? Even if he WAS in love with her, it wouldn’t work out. Hunter wouldn’t want to hide anything from her; in fact he’s pretty sure he can’t hide anything from her. Even if it’s the fact that he’s actually a faunus. It would hurt him to hide that from her, but it'll hurt him even more when the fact that he's a faunus destroys their relationship. But maybe it'll work out. In fact, they can even take it slow, maybe to the point where being faunus or racist doesn’t even matter anymore. Finally knowing how to reply, the redness in Hunter’s cheeks faded only to be replaced with a silly looking grin.

”Maybe.”

Returning to the team’s dorm was interesting. Prim looked ready to murder him on the spot until she got flustered when he presented the flowers. In fact, she told him that it was sweet of him to do that! That was a win in Hunter’s book until she forcefully put him into a seat and started lecturing him about the importance of work ethics and properly doing your assignments. As for the rest of his team, they were laughing their asses off at the two with their shenanigans until Prim directed her death glare at them too. Finally, the lecture and death threats were over as the night quieted down once more so that they can finish their assignments…

For the next few months in the team dormitory, Hunter would see the flowers in a rather ornate and charming vase. If you asked him, Hunter wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the flowers and Prim.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »
Tell me about a time your character broke a promise.

Walter

What-if: A Promise Is A Promise

"As long as I'm standing, you're not getting hurt. That's a promise."

The roaring of grimm, the sound of gunfire and the members of team CASA shouting. Everything around Coconut appears to be a blur, the boy dazed from being struck by an Ursa Major. It's all just a nonsensical mess of color and noise. Then the noise stops as a scream is cut short.

The only thing Coco could see clearly was the falling of blue-green feathers before him. He couldn't tell what had happened. None of them could. Almost mere seconds later, two of them could hear the chilling sound of twisting metal and a crash sending their healer through a tree. The gunfire would halt soon after.

Coconut was still confused. What had happened? How could it end this way? This had to be some cruel joke. A nightmare of sorts. He wanted it to be over already - he could barely lift O.T.N. anymore. This whole thing was just a bad training session or something, he just needed to get some help...

A drop of cold water falling on his nose awakened Coconut.

His eyes fluttered open and the boy looked around in confusion. It took a moment to remember where he was. He had taken refuge under a particularly thick layer of canopy during a rain storm. Despite his better judgement it appeared that he had fallen asleep. The rain had slowed down to a light drizzle. It was time to keep going anyway.

Coconut rose from his position, checking to make sure O.T.N. was still where it should be on his back. He then stepped out from under the tree he had been leaning against, splashing mud over his pants and cloak. That was hardly the worst his clothes had seen.

It would take an hour of walking to get out of the forest. A disused path appeared to be leading to a small collection of cottages. A village. Coconut stopped, checking his coat's pockets; he was running low on food supplies. Risky or not, he needed to make another stop.

As he approached the village he noted the villagers frantically running around, collecting their things and throwing them haphazardly into several carts lined up near the edge of the settlement. They were evacuating.

One of the older men was seemingly overseeing the process. He snapped his head towards the newcomer, a terrified expression on his face. Upon seeing Coconut's gear, a gleam of hope appeared in his eyes.

"A-a huntsman! Thank the heavens! We were just running out of hope!" the man uttered in a raspy voice. "A scout reported a horde of grimm heading this way, and it will be here in an hour at most. None of us are fighters, so..."

"How long do you need?" Coconut asked.

The man blinked and looked back at the villagers. There appeared to be about forty in total. "We will finish packing up soon, but we need more time to get enough distance between us and the horde. Maybe an hour or..."

"I can get you two. Leave some food and supplies, and whatever else you're willing to pay in that house over there," Coconut plainly instructed as he took O.T.N. off of his back and made a couple of practice swings with one arm. He was a bit sore from his troubled rest from earlier, but he'd have to make do.

"...And how will you escape?"

Coconut momentarily stared blankly at the man. He was going to say 'Either I do or I don't', but realized that it was probably not the best move.

"Fair point. If you have a spare horse, just strap the supplies onto it and set it on the far side of the village. Point to me where the horde's coming from, first."

Coconut spent the next twenty minutes setting up his defenses. He hadn't done anything like this in a long time, but he recalled his first mission with CASA. He first utilized his sword as a make-shift shovel, digging out small holes in the dirt, before 'borrowing' some of the fence posts around the village to be used as makeshift spears. It wasn't particularly elegant, but it would buy him time in his retreat never the less.

As he worked, he was approached by a girl - rather, a young woman. The fluffy ears on her head gave away that she was a faunus right away. Although dressed in a somewhat ragged skirt, a dusty beanie upon her head, she was rather cute - caring purple eyes, a slightly angled face making it hard to tell how old she truly was and shoulder-length, blonde hair peeking out from her headwear.

She smiled, giving Coconut a slight curtsy as she approached. Slightly flustered, the boy was unaware of how he should respond, though it didn't seem like she was expecting him to.

"Thank you, hunter. What you're doing is most admirable," she said. The girl was short. Though Coconut was crouching, she was hardly taller than he was - or, maybe, Coco himself had grown quite a bit in the past two years. "Could I know your name?"

Coconut blinked and stood up, towering over her small figure. "Coconut. Coconut Cream."

The girl nodded. "A pleasure, Coconut. I know this may seem odd... But promise you will make it back?" She asked rather sheepishly, looking down. "That... All of us will?"

"As long as I'm standing, you're not getting hurt. That's a promise."

There was a moment of prolongated silence. Finally, the boy spoke up.

"I promise. You can count on me."

The girl nodded again, turning on her heels and skipping towards the carts. Coconut reached a hand out towards her: "Hold on, you didn't tell me your name!"

The girl peeked over her shoulder and gave Coco a cheeki smirk. "I'll tell it  to you the next time we meet!"

The villagers had left little over half an hour ago. Coconut now stood a good ways away from his makeshift defensive line, near the forest he had come from himself. The horde would be upon him any minute now. He was ready, grasping O.T.N. in both hands as he began to feel the ground under his feet tremble. A sensation he had been getting used to - after all, he had become a grimm magnet, plagued by the events of his past. He had become all too familiar with the way Prism had felt - and, for that matter, with Prism's sleep schedule.

The first grimm emerged from the treeline. A row of beowolves and the smaller ursas which had made it to the front of the pack. No more than vermin to Coconut. As the first trio of beowolves pounced at him they were sliced clean in half even with just O.T.N.'s long sword form at play. The following two ursa were skewered upon his blade and used as meat shields against the charge of the third. A swift kick to free his sword, then another set of slashes and the first wave had been cleared.

Then the next wave came. And the next. And the next after that. Five minutes passed, then ten, then twenty, until Coconut couldn't even fathom how long it had been. Each line of grimm was harder to deal with, but it was not as if he hadn't trained for it. If it were just the smaller ones, he could keep the fighting up for at least an hour more.

But it couldn't just be the smaller ones, could it?

As if on que, the treeline began to fall apart as the next wave approached him. Coconut knew he was in for trouble, stepping back and guarding his face as the trees were smashed apart by the massive claws of a large deathstalker. The thing was about the largest he had ever seen, its tail nearly the height of a four story building. Even Golden O.T.N. didn't stand a chance against that thing. It was time to fall back.

A screech from above raised concerns, however. Coconut turned tail in hopes of outpacing the grimm while he still could, but a rain of sharp feathers caused him to go back on guard. Four relatively small nevermores were circling above the village, seemingly taking turns at peppering the ground upon which Coconut stood.

Things were looking grim. If he couldn't make it to his horse, his entire plan from there on would fall apart. He should have pulled back sooner, prepared better - but as always, he had gotten too cocky. That was always the reason, wasn't it? It was always his fault...

No. Fuck that, he thought. He had made a promise - and this time, it would be different. The deathstalker still on his ass, Coconut slapped O.T.N. onto his back and twisted the handle, transforming the blade into its Golden O.T.N. form. He then raised the weapon above his head, grunting as the arrows continued to rain - but few of them could now strike his body.

He leapt over his spear wall, and just in time - the deathstalker had gotten close, but the grimm following it had already passed it. Soon, however, they were met by the fence posts, colored to blend in with the ground around them. At least a dozen perished, trampled by the creatures following them.

The deathstalker did not care, however, as it crushed through the spear wall as if it was no more than just a couple of branches on the ground.

But that was not the only trick Coconut had learned from Amane. With his free hand, the boy reached into his pocket and flicked his scroll.

The beast reeled back as it passed the first pair of cottages, the explosives which Coconut had lined their walls with going off at once, sending rubble and fire dust its way. While it killed a few of the other grimm, the deathstalker might as well had not been harmed at all. But killing it with that wasn't the idea - stopping it in its tracks was.

Coconut used an undisturbed fence post to hop onto the low roof of one of the cottages. He was struck by another barrage of feathers, but that was not a major concern to the lone huntsman. He raised O.T.N. and focused his thoughts, the weapon glowing cream for a moment. He then swung at the air, letting out a powerful slash of aura towards the large grimm. The slash didn't penetrate the armor, but it did exactly what it was supposed to.

It cracked it.

The deathstalker barreled towards the cottage, crushing nearby grimm in its rampage. Cream waited, ignoring the seering pain in his back from the nevermores' constant attacks. He had to hold out just a moment longer...

Cream roared out as he raised Golden O.T.N. over his head and jumped down from the roof just before the deathstalker crashed through it. A downwards stab, if he had aimed it just right... Coconut felt a tremor go through his entire form as the blade sunk into the beast's skull, the creature releasing one last screech before collapsing.

As its body faded, Coconut glanced ahead to see another part of the horde emerging from the woods. The boy was near the horse already - he returned his weapon to its long sword form and cut the leash holding the animal where it was before checking the time. He still had an hour to hold the horde in place and his aura had already dropped below half.

He hopped onto the horse and rode out, holding his blade out in one hand. The nevermored had run out of feathers to shoot - it would be only a matter of time before they would swoop down. Going back into the thick of it would be suicidal.

But a promise is a promise, is it not?

It was late in the evening when Coconut stopped the horse and fell from it onto the ground. His side would be bruised from it later - his aura was completely depleted, as was any energy he had left in him. From a practical point of view, it hadn't been worth much - the villagers hadn't had much supplies to give.

And yet, as he laid there and attempted not to fall unconscious, he saw the girl from earlier before his eyes. He wondered if he would meet her again - if he'd ever learn her name.

No. Suppose it would be better that he didn't.