Author Topic: Professor Scarlet Vandal  (Read 4911 times)

Uncouth T-Rex

• Personal Text
    Unofficial Forum Dad
    • View Profile
Professor Scarlet Vandal
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
CHARACTER

Name: Scarlet Vandal

Species and Gender: Human Female

Symbol: A gleaming red kite shield with the name Vandal inscribed upon it in golden calligraphy.

Themes: No-Meghan Trainor, Iron-Within Temptation

Occupation: Professor of Weapons Engineering and Design at Beacon Academy

Appearance: Standing in at 5’11” and about 170Ilbs, Scarlet is a smoldering, athletic bombshell of a woman. She’s worked hard to maintain an excellent, curvaceous figure, and it shows, beyond a doubt. Usually wearing six-inch heels to make herself even more imposing, she can regularly be found decked out in some sort of flattering dress, often crimson or black in color, and keeps her bleach blonde hair in a massive, hip length three-strand braid.  Only in the most relaxed and informal situations will you ever catch her with it down. Her features are defined and elegant, and should she have chosen it, a career as a fashion model would have brought her equal success and fame. Green eyes like brilliant glass marbles watch everything with a cool detachment, and she moves with a power and grace that sets her apart the instant she walks into a room.

This carries over to the battlefield, where her uniform is meant to allow her much more freedom of movement. While the heels stay, the dress is discarded for an armless, crimson gymnast’s singlet built to handle the punishment of high-intensity warzones. Her entire demeanor is one of authority and command, and Scarlett’s voice reflects this. Powerful, dusky, and with an edge a Beowulf could cut its teeth on, it’s been the bane of many a student and lawbreaker for years.

History: The Vandals are an old family, with a spotless pedigree free of any readily uncovered scandal, bad marriage, or interpersonal strife. They’ve even managed to remain strictly neutral in the long, protracted historical struggle for Faunus rights, and most of them won’t even tolerate the subject in polite company. While not the richest in the world, and certainly not even in Vale, and hardly a match socially for people like the Becketts and Utsus, they, along with other less renowned families like the Rosenrots, make up a sort of “Old Guard” of citizens who either provided some sort of service to the Hunter community, or were Hunters themselves. The Vandals, specifically, handled the forging of quality items used in the day to day work of fighting Grimm and other unsavory characters around Vale.

This was the world Scarlet was born into. From an early age, she was brought up in a refined and proper lifestyle, and has stayed accustomed to the finer things, even as a Huntress. She grew to hate working with her hands, the few times she ventured into her father’s personal workroom, and longed to find a way to ply that craft while maintaining the austere and beautiful life her mother had as a socialite beloved by many for her excellent parties and sound fashion sense. She was also drawn to the thrill of combat, and when allowed, trained as hard as she was able without detracting from her other studies. She found she was quite good, even for a girl of age ten.

Once her semblance made itself known, her path was set. Now freely able to work without even getting a single speck of dust on herself, she turned with relish to crafting more and more “perfect” weapons. Pandora had twenty-seven iterations before its current design, each more efficient and deadly than the last. When not attending well-to-do events or blazing through work that would normally take teams of men and countless man-hours to produce, she threw herself into a strict training regimen and paid every combat expert she could find to give her pointers and help her find her stride. Everyone from former Professors at all four major Hunter Academies to professional cage fighters to martial artists like Arturo Chanson to famous Hunters like Siegfried Rosenrot walked through the door of her personal sparring room.

The sheer amount of resources bent toward her training was only made possible by the weapons she forged and sold personally. That immense amount of capital is most likely the main reason she managed to test into Beacon at age fifteen. She also graduated a year early and outperformed her peers on a staggering level while making a name for herself as a Huntress. Against her mother’s wishes, she did allow herself some further fame by posing for advertisements, largely for high fashion and combat garb, but her foray into that world was brief and she soon became bored with the simple-minded fawning so many models receive. By the time she was twenty-five she had felt that a change was necessary, and that her life was missing something in its list of accomplishments. She also felt that without a family of her own, and no suitor even remotely close to her standards darkening her horizon, there would be no one to pass on her knowledge and skills to.

And so she found herself back at Beacon, although she was frustrated at the lack of ease which she managed to obtain the position. She’d expected all doors to be instantly opened to her, and was beyond bothered by the fact that someone like Feltch Hatterly had made the cut with greater finesse. She actually was made to wait for a full six months before receiving a reply, and was so incensed by this she almost turned them down and opted to move to Atlas and try her luck there. Her ire was even greater when Siobhan Clannad was accepted after one interview, however compelling she may have been in her arguments. To this day, she is dismissive and cold to the young woman, even though their similar age and career should have at least given them one or two talking points. Siobhan even tried to offer a sort of olive branch and was, to the chagrin of several other faculty members, brusquely denied.

Currently, Scarlet is considered the most attractive, but least likable, of Beacon’s staff. It rarely concerns her that this is the case. She came to do a job, not win admirers.

Personality: Scarlet is a demanding woman, and expects a strict code of behavior from everyone she interacts with. She’s gained a reputation for being unfairly strict in class, and most students find it highly tempting to complain to the Headmaster about her swift and unforgiving retribution for infractions. If not for her talent and undeniable skill, she might not have succeeded at Beacon. Her Office Hours are limited, and students are expected to either utilize them or electronic communication for questions, as she feels anything else would breed too much of a familiarity and therefore a lack of respect.

She detests overt displays of sentiment, and keeps her own emotions under strict control. A hard, ceramic veneer of manners and polite aloofness cover all her social interactions, and it could be said that even her friends don’t know more than superficial details about her. Sure, she broadcasts her likes and dislikes and all manner of opinions with exacting clarity, but there’s always a feeling of distance, as if she’s only letting light out through a keyhole. Scarlet prides herself on this, and feels it’s becoming of a young woman to play things close the breast, and that it adds to her charm and sense of mystery. The average person might simply see it as fake and pretentious, and coupled with her headstrong and uncompromising nature it can be downright insufferable.

Aura and Semblance: Scarlet has a copious amount of aura, and through much practice and meditation has learned how to use it with a high degree of efficiency. Even when augmenting her strength or shielding herself from blows, her degree of exertion is far less than the average simply because she can apply her aura so precisely. It also makes the power behind her attacks and guards very difficult to predict. Due to her semblance, her aura glows a dull, throbbing red when activated.

Her semblance itself was never initially much use outside of her workshop, as at first it only allowed her to lift small objects weighing less than a pound or so. Her telekinetic abilities allow her to wrap an object in aura and control its movement, and she started out using it to complete projects without getting her hands dirty and to increase her manual dexterity. She has refined it to the point where she can rapidly assemble complex, delicate machinery while concentrating, and, seeing the practicality of it, can lift a total of twenty tons of material at a time with moderate effort. Scarlet does prefer to avoid gross amounts of labor, and rarely puts on such a vulgar display of strength.

This ability can be used on sentient beings, but is able to be resisted, not by aura, but by actual strength of will or brawn, should the target be in a position to use either. This in turn can be overcome by greater exertion on her part, in proportion to the resistance she encounters.

Combat Behavior: Scarlet, as an experienced and fully-fledged Huntress, is an absolutely overwhelming combatant. While never really one for the tournament scene, she’s never lost a duel and only had one draw in a long career of dealing with impetuous and green, or experienced and prideful, challengers. Unless pressured into doing so, she rarely uses her semblance or weapons, and prefers to simply augment her hand to hand combat abilities, which are top notch and are a mix of several brutal yet elegant martial arts. Opponents are to be dealt with quickly and without pause or remorse, and then it’s back to business as usual.

When the opponent is taxing, actually a threat, or has genuinely managed to shake her cool and risk her wrath, it’s time to break out the semblance and weapons. Pandora is used in the most appropriate Pattern for the situation at hand, and Scarlet can change up the Pattern in a heartbeat. If things are especially dire, the environment itself becomes a source of armament, and her opponents can expect to have chunks of buildings, shattered glass, trees, cars, and all manner of debris hurled at them from every angle they’re unable to defend themselves from. 

WEAPON

Name: Pandora

Primary Form: A set of ultra-hard, specially forged alloy daggers, similar to kunai, which are able to be chained together near where the pommel would be if they had anything more than a short unwrapped grip. The bracelets on her wrists are made up of four, her anklets four as well, her necklace holds eight, and her belt is made of thirty-four, bringing the total to fifty. Each is four inches long with a three inch blade and holds a small dust-powered reactor gem in the base of the blade, which sparkles diamond-like when not active. When powered on, they glow a brilliant crimson and crackle with small discharges of carmine electricity.

Secondary Form:
Alpha Pattern: The separate pieces are used as a swarm of blades that either block incoming attacks or function as swift guided missiles which trigger small explosions when they strike a target. If she’s managed to wedge them into the target they’ll retain this ability and allow her to keep detonating them at will every five seconds.

Beta Pattern: The daggers form up into a swirling ring about two feet in diameter with one of them poised slightly behind the rest as a focal point. While the ring provides the energy for the blast, the focal dagger aims and concentrates the massive beam, which can burn through heavy armor plating with ease and lasts for approximately four seconds, although it drains the power of Pandora for about thirty seconds.

Gamma Pattern: The daggers move independently and can fire off burning rays from their tips. The sheer number of daggers and the rapidity with which they can sweep an area makes this Pattern an even greater nightmare than Alpha for those trying to escape or get in close to Scarlet. The beams themselves can slice through standard materials and can be kept up for a solid minute before Pandora needs its standard thirty seconds of recharge.

Delta Pattern: The daggers form into the framework of a geodesic dome or sphere and project a powerful energy shield that can take heavy punishment for two minutes. Depending on whether Scarlet is containing or protecting something she alters the direction that the blades are pointing. After that two minutes Pandora will need its thirty seconds of recharge time.

Epsilon Pattern: The daggers function as hovering flashlights, and can use either red or standard lighting.

Zeta Pattern: The daggers form a motion-sensor network in whatever pattern Scarlet arranges them. They have a six-foot radius of perception each and begin flashing dull red and emitting a screeching noise when triggered.
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with your God.

Character List:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Marlon Murk-Leader of Team MRKD (Marked) "The power of the night, the press of the storm, The post of the foe; Where he stands, the Arch Fear in a visible form, Yet the strong man must go..."-Prospice, Robert Browning

Cheri Chanson-Team AFMC (Afirmacion) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” -Bob Marley

Jack Pettibone-Leader of Team JCRA (Jackrabbit) "In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story."-Barney Stinson

Cherry Chainsaw "Wake up, I'm a bullet loosed Into the heart of a wretched age, I breathe just to beat and bruise, an evolution of the burnin' rage!"-Miracle of Sound, Hell to Pay

Professor Siobhan Clannad-Personal Finance and Home Economics Professor at Beacon Academy "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Unknown, often attributed to Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Professor Feltch Hatterly Criminal and International Law Professor at Beacon Academy "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."-G.K. Chesterton

Professor Scarlet Vandal Weapons Engineering and Design Professor at Beacon Academy "Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull."-W. Somerset Maugham

Character AMA here, Personal AMA here, Character/Plot Timeline here, Descent into Madness here

If you ever need writing advice, be it for a post, a plot, or a character, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! PM me if you need someone to DM Grimm or NPCs, or need my Professors in your threads, though my ability to help with that depends on my free time!

Uncouth T-Rex

• Personal Text
    Unofficial Forum Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Scarlet Vandal
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
A few things: Feel free to ignore this until you have the time, and put every other profile as priority above this one, everyone has a lot going on.

This will also be the last character I submit, and definitely the last Professor, period. If one of my NPCs should need their own profile later on, it will in fact be much later on because right now nobody's become important enough to warrant it.

I also understand exactly how powerful Scarlet is, and can assure you, she's there for OH SHIT scenarios and will most likely not be, as she would put it, "getting her hands dirty" with anything "beneath her". Sure, some unruly students might get pinned to walls or held by their ankles in mid-air, and if someone's dumb enough to challenge her repeatedly until she accepts they'll get spanked, but by and large the character is intended to hold the same position as a nuclear warhead in today's world. In other words, she's a deterrent who sits there gathering dust. You have my personal word of honor on that.
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with your God.

Character List:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Marlon Murk-Leader of Team MRKD (Marked) "The power of the night, the press of the storm, The post of the foe; Where he stands, the Arch Fear in a visible form, Yet the strong man must go..."-Prospice, Robert Browning

Cheri Chanson-Team AFMC (Afirmacion) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” -Bob Marley

Jack Pettibone-Leader of Team JCRA (Jackrabbit) "In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story."-Barney Stinson

Cherry Chainsaw "Wake up, I'm a bullet loosed Into the heart of a wretched age, I breathe just to beat and bruise, an evolution of the burnin' rage!"-Miracle of Sound, Hell to Pay

Professor Siobhan Clannad-Personal Finance and Home Economics Professor at Beacon Academy "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Unknown, often attributed to Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Professor Feltch Hatterly Criminal and International Law Professor at Beacon Academy "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."-G.K. Chesterton

Professor Scarlet Vandal Weapons Engineering and Design Professor at Beacon Academy "Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull."-W. Somerset Maugham

Character AMA here, Personal AMA here, Character/Plot Timeline here, Descent into Madness here

If you ever need writing advice, be it for a post, a plot, or a character, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! PM me if you need someone to DM Grimm or NPCs, or need my Professors in your threads, though my ability to help with that depends on my free time!

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Scarlet Vandal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
We all talked it over as a group in chat and decided that this character is fine. Since it was a group discussion, only a single approval is needed to move it.
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN