Author Topic: Stargazing [Open]  (Read 24334 times)

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Stargazing [Open]
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »
"You would be surprised at how much of a thing it is, and thanks to humans liking to loudly proclaiming it in the streets, I can confirm it through first-hand experience. Unfortunately." Prism states, airquoting around the word thing. "But if you're looking for someone who spends an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom, let me introduce you to Coco sometime. He owns more hair accessories than any of the girls on Casanova." She answers, before glancing Calen up and down. "...you actually might be able to help him with his fashion sense, his wardrobe consists of all the same shirt. And hey, it's nice to meet another glaive user at the Academy. It might be nice to spar sometime.

Taking her place in front of the console, Calen's question catches her off-guard enough she stares for several seconds. "...not in our lifetime, no." She finally answers quietly, before bringing up her rifle to successfully shoot down the far-flung target, before turning to face their little group with a fairly serious look in her eye. "The Faunus Rights Revolution was only 40 years ago, and veterans of that war are still around today. It's definitely possible, but complete, total, and lasting peace? it's going to take way more than 40 years to erase a history of slavery. All we can do is lay the groundwork for a better future."

With her surprise monologue delivered, Prism wobbles back over to the console as she contemplates her question. "...what's your plan, once you graduate?"
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
Smokey just raises an eyebrow at Calen's question.  As an Atlesian human, Smokey never really noticed any overt discrimination against faunus.  He's aware of the White Fang, to be sure, but as far as he's concerned they're nothing more than a small time terrorist faction making mountains out of molehills.  Any points they might've earned with him by hitting the SDC are docked because of the fallout his father had to deal. 

Personally, he's never had a problem with any faunus, and he doesn't think any faunus had a problem with him for simply being human.  As far as he's aware, there isn't any major conflict between faunus and humans.  But, simply for the sake of answering the question, he says, "Eh, get a common enemy that provides a big enough threat, and you'd be surprise who you find in bed together.  But I doubt that's a good solution, all things considered."

In response to Prism's much simpler question, he simply says, "Like I said, make money.  Find a bounty board, take the biggest one, point the big gun at it, and head to the bank.  Hell, I'm hopin' to get a head start of that while I'm here, if I can help it."
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
'Of course I would be happy to help Master Coconut in any way I can although the more exotic hair products are a little out of my experience. We could go shopping I suppose, we are blessed and restricted by male fashion is far more uniform than your own Prism so we should be able to find something. I am always interested in finding new sparring partners, perhaps next time your dreams can't find you we can put that time to better use,' Calen responded his mood lightening considerably. Striving to become one's perfect self was core to Calen's very being and it was a sensibility he tried to instill in everyone around him. As superficial as it may appear your perfect self is never wearing bad clothes is it?

'If the Grimm isn't enough of a common threat it would have to be something pretty impressive, even Vale and Vacuo attacking together only ended their slavery.' Calen responds to Smokey before turning back to Prism. 'Setting up for the future is a noble goal I suppose but you'll never know how much set up is required, unfortunately, the more direct strategies have been tainted somewhat but we will see.' Calen continued clearly hinting towards the White Fang. Military action was something that Calen completely supported, justified or not the strong deserve to take what they will from the weak.

Calen set himself up for Prism's question which initially caught him off guard. Luckily Calen recovered well. 'Like I said before to pay off my debt.' Calen answered before sending another knife thudding into the target. 'No additional information there I'm afraid, you'll have to use another question on it.' Calen teased happily swapping places with Prism again. 'How about...favourite school subject here at Beacon.' Calen asked alternating from harder hitting to simpler questions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:09:47 AM by Kingnoname1 »
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
Prism makes a disgusted face at Calen's mention of the White Fang, sticking her tongue at the concept. "Those 'more direct strategies' are just glorified acts of terrorism. Don't ever assume that people like the White Fang stand for the faunus' concept of equality - they're the outliers, not the majority." She replies, her tone cold and serious. "Until a mutual ground of recognition of either species as people are built, then I'm not sure what thread would ever be enough."

Her second monologue over, she swaps places with Calen, watching the target fire off with a new steadier eye than beforehand. "Aura studies, probably?" She answers, raising her rifle to shoot down the target, nodding to herself in satisfaction. "Doctor Sophos is probably my favorite professor, so it's always an enjoyable class with him." She finishes, before swapping places with Calen again.

"So where and why do you dance, Calen?" She asks after a tentative moment thinking of the question, before the target fires off. "Sorry Smokey, Amane - dunno if this one is as applicable to you two, unless either of you feel like busting a move suddenly."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:31:24 PM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
Smokey remains quiet as the discussion over faunus equality gets a bit heated.  He was just trying to make a comment, not stir the pot, but he supposes he should be glad the argument isn't directed at him in particular.  It's too early for political discussions.

Which is why Calen's softball question comes as a welcome relief, and answers relatively quickly.  "Introductory Dust Chemistry.  Figuring out the most over the top ways to make giant monsters explode is just a good time all around," he says, trying to inject a bit of light-hearted humor into the conversation.

As far as Prism's question goes, Smokey just says, "That's okay, you can dance if you want to.  You can leave your friends behind."  'Cuz your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, then they're no friends of mine. 
Smokey Emberstone Beacon 1st Year and the Immovable Gunslinger of Team DASE "I've got more than enough firepower to beat you" "You've only got one bullet!" "Like I said, more than enough"

Aurelia Lumen Beacon 3rd year and the Warhorse of Team (TBD)  "Lay down your weapons, lest you wish to taste my steel!"

Wabul "Toast" Paka Shade 1st year and the Acrobatic Swashbuckler of Team (TBD)  "Hey, I'm gonna go jump off a bridge, who's with me?"

Lucas Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Hermit of Team CLVS  "What's so great about 'bittersweet'?"

Clara Meridiem Beacon 1st year and the Blast Magician of Team (TBD) "No one likes just plain ol' bitter"

August Flare Beacon 1st year and the would-be ruler of the world "Join me, and witness the Brightest Future!"

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2018, 03:05:21 AM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 07:11:12 PM by . »

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
'One person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. Your forefathers didn't build a mutual ground of recognition, they fought a war against slavery. There was a boy in the town I grew up in, when he was in his early teens he killed a Faunus. Snapped his neck. In a moment, a husband and father were gone. And what was the boy's punishment from the local authorities? Nothing, nothing until the White Fang arrived at took everything from that boy. How is that not justice? How is that not equality?' Calen responded with the ghost of a smile on his lips. Talking about his past in the third person always gave the gaunt boy a rush but here and now? Talking about this and taking into account what Prism was? It took all of Calen's willpower to not giggle.

'That's two questions.' Calen began his left hand moving up his back to retrieve a second dagger. 'Sarcoline's studio and I love how it makes you move.' Calen sent two daggers at the target spinning away at each answer. The first one was on target but the second only barely clipped the target before continuing down range. 'I suppose that makes it two love to you Prism.' Calen remarks letting a full smile out to make it easier to hold on in the future. Two applications of his semblance sent Calen dashing to his knife and back in mere moments but the exertion was catching up to him. Several semblances uses, lack of sleep and food, as well as the alcohol, was having a serious impact on Calen's continuing ability to perform. But then again Calen had never let something as silly as not being able to do something stop him from attempting to. 'But it is good exercise and there are plenty of cute girls so I could introduce some if you like although I should warn you, dancers tend to be a bit of a handful. Calen joked, clearly short of breath.

Thankful for a couple seconds of rest before asking his question Calen stretched out the time as much as he could. 'Having to choose one or the other do you think you are too controlling or too trustful?' Calen asked again triggering the firing mechanism and sending the target flying down the range.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
"...Calen, in what twisted universe would you consider that equality?" Prism asks, sounding legitimately concerned. "That's not justice in any sense of the word, that's just fucking horrible. The kid obviously should've faced some form of retribution, but like - in the form of jail time or something. And the concept of taking revenge on innocents is abhorrent, especially if they weren't the ones to stoke the actions of that kid. There's just- so many other factors you need to consider in that type of situation, you can't make a snap judgement like that and call it some gross, malformed version of equality." She finishes, looking on at the man with something almost resembling pity - who the hell taught him to think that way?

Prism sighs to herself, and watches quietly as Calen manages to miss the target after throwing both knives. She would've celebrated, if she weren't so deep in thought. There's something about that story that story that seems familiar, as if she'd heard it long ago. She spends a few silent moments pondering it, before jerking up in response to his after he dashed off to retrieve his weapons. "Hmm? Oh, sure. If you've got a performance coming up, just let me know when and where and I'll drop by."

She walks up to the targeting range then, swinging Hawk's Eye off her shoulder as she glances towards the rest of their audience. Amane's lost in some tower defense game, and Smokey - Smokey gets a shake of Prism's head at his horrible reference, despite the smile on her face at his words. "Hawk's Eye doesn't have quite the same boom as Matchstick does, but I can understand the appeal."

Taking her place at the range then, she carefully listens to Calen's question, tilting her head as she considers it. That's actually a good question - and one kind of out of the blue, frankly. "Too controlling, probably? But that's literally part of my job description as a leader, so I like to think it works out." Bringing up the rifle, she scopes in on the target and shatters it with a satisfying shot, before walking back over the console.

...she still can't shake the feeling she knows his story from somewhere. "Where'd y'all grow up?"

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2018, 04:16:23 AM »
Smokey eyes Calen somewhat suspiciously as he brings up a casual murder of a faunus.  There's no evidence, or anything remotely incriminating about the description of events, but as far as he knows, nobody just casually makes up murder stories like that out of the blue.  Not to mention, it happened in his hometown?  And the way Calen talked about the White Fang's "justice" and "equality" was just eerie.  But in the end, that's really all Smokey gets, an eerie feeling.  Perhaps he should pay more attention to this conversation...

When Calen finally asks his question, Smokey doesn't answer verbally.  Instead, he ponders for a moment, and then shrugs.  He doesn't really think he's either one.  He tends to be a DIY kinda guy, so as long as people don't get in his way, they can do whatever the hell they want.

It's only when Prism asks her question that Smokey finally speaks up, but only long enough to utter one word.  "Mantle."  There's not really much more to say, but he's slightly more interested in Calen's answer.  He's never heard a story like the one Calen described, but he might have heard of a White Fang attack on a major settlement.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
'But are they innocent? If you hide someone's crime are you at least not in some part guilty? When the police do their sham of an investigation and they don't come forward isn't that an admission of guilt? Keep in mind you are expecting the same state that allows storekeepers to bar Faunus from entering to be the sole arbiter of justice. And if you can't expect justice from the state, from Mistral, should you really be that surprised people take it upon themselves to do what won't be done for them.' Calen responded by choosing his words carefully. It was clear he had aroused everyone else's suspicions and although to a degree that was the point to this degree was unexpected.

'We just finished up our last show so there won't be another for a while but sure, I'll let you know when we next perform.' Calen continued, always eager to have a large audience. Stepping up to take the next shot Calen had recovered slightly and had the advantage of expecting a question on this topic. 'Little town in Amina, we called it Reflection.' Calen answered using a nickname only the locals would immediately recognise before sending another dagger straight into the target. 'There where these trees around the town and in the winter they held to frost which bathed the city in strange reflected light.' Calen explained but also further confusing the matter, although these trees were present around Nevah there were several places in Amina with a far higher concentration of the trees.

'Considering this seems to be getting slightly controversial how about, what is the opinion you've disagreed with the most people about.' Calen asked now remaining standing, as long as he didn't have to use his semblance for a while he should be OK, if not... well the shooting range isn't that bad a place to sleep, is it?

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
"I'm not surprised, it's just - that's never how it should be done." Prism responds, annoyance evident in her voice. "Calen, here's the important question: whoever this kid was, do you know if they actually meant to kill the faunus? Was it an act of racial terrorism, or just some freak accident? The debate of morality surrounding this entire conversation depends on it's origins - everything depends on context." She answers, before stepping up to switch places with him.

Prism tilts her head slightly at his response to where he's from, making a quiet mental note to dig around a bit about that. Smokey's response reveals he's from Atlas, which - in retrospect, kinda makes sense. He hasn't chimed in on this entire conversation yet, so he probably wasn't one of the racist Atlesians, since he had no problems with her or Billy, just one of the incredibly ignorant ones instead. And those could always be educated, so Prism had no beef to pick.

Calen's question isn't unexpected, and Prism answers quickly enough. "One guess, faunus rights." she replies, coolly staring down Calen before bringing her rifle up to shatter the target. "I was the president of my high school's faunus rights organization, which probably won't come as a surprise."

She pads back to the firing console then, pulling her scroll from one of her pockets and whacking it against her hand a few times to get it to turn on. While the old piece of tech booted up, she briefly considered her question - they had been getting fairly heavy recently, so something to break the tension might be in order. "Best part about Beacon, as a school, so far?" She asks, before pressing the button to fire the target with a thunk.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:16:01 PM by Moth »

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
Smokey is not the type to get in to political discussions.  They always tend to make him mad.  When he gets mad, things tend to break, including him if he's not careful.  But the "is the anyone really innocent" argument is bullshit.  That's the argument bad TV villains use to confuse heroes with poorly written motivations.  It's also the argument that opens up a lot of opportunities to pick a case apart.

"You're right Calen.  Hiding someone's crimes does make you an accomplice.  So why don't you come clean and tell us who did it?  And don't try and bullshit me by saying you don't know, because I'm pretty sure you do.  You identified the perp as a young boy in his early teens at the time of death, you identified the method of murder as a snapped neck, and implied that the boy is still alive when you said  the White Fang 'took everything from' that boy.  That sounds like pretty intimate knowledge to me."  Prism can try and be as subtle as she wants, but Smokey likes to handle things with the direct approach.  Of course, considering the context of this statement, Smokey ignores the questions of their little  game.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
'You are going to have to explain to me how someone can accidentally break someone else's neck.' Calen laughed stressing 'accidentally.' 'Masochism and fetishised pacifism are all fun in the bedroom my dear, I'm sure it made your horse friend very happy, but it quickly becomes weird outside that and they aren't particularly good qualities in an activist. There were people who made this 'violence is never the answer,' to be frank, bullshit before the Greyed War. Sure the Faunus were being raped, beaten and hunted down like animals but maybe they can win the respect of the humans and they will realise they are real people after all. Racists know the Faunus are people Prism, they just don't care.' Calen continued the laughter in his voice giving way to open disdain before turning to Smokey. 'Oh as long as you are 'pretty sure' Master Smokey and very well I might know their name but after someone has been punished are you actually an accomplice by not naming names? The point is it isn't an uncommon story. How many predominantly Faunus miners do you think died getting your father the metals and dust he used to make weapons for the very people all but killing them themselves?' Calen mocked mostly dodging Smokey's question with one of his own.

With that and a self-satisfied smirk, Calen took his place at the firing range and waited for Prism's question. A more softball one, probably aimed to calm down the situation but that wasn't going to be something Calen was going to allow. This was just getting fun. 'To perfect myself.' Calen answers simply. 'It's the only thing worth pursuing.' The gaunt boy added as he quickly sent one of his daggers burrowing into the heart of the target just as it was shot out. Satisfied with the throw Calen quickly took his place by the target and waited impatiently for Prism to be ready, Calen has his own softball questions although they may be more than they initially appear. 'Easy for easy I suppose, most cherised childhood memory?' Calen asked slyly before triggering the clay pigeon machine again.

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
Prism listens to Calen’s response carefully, the only sign of her slowly-growing fury being the red flush to her face at his flippant comments about her personal life, and the way her eyes narrow as he goes on and on. She takes a breath to steady herself, before flinging her rifle over her shoulder. ”Calen, let’s keep whatever weird fantasies you entertain yourself with out of the discussion, please?” She asks, waving one hand in the air, as if to dismiss it. “I’m not going to pretend that there haven’t been times when violence was the right answer, because that was literally the entire Faunus Rights Revolution, and that was only forty years ago. The entire point of what I was saying though was that innocent people shouldn’t suffer, and somehow you missed that entire message.” She deadpans, staring him down. “And c’mon - you’re seriously giving more credit to ignorant people than they deserve. I can tell you from some very literal experience that plenty of people view us as nothing more than animals, and it’s a ridiculous fucking stereotype to overcome.”

Prism blinks a couple times at his answer, visibly confused. ”I asked what the best part of Beacon was to you, not what you’re attempting to accomplish here, but that counts enough I guess. And I dunno, probably learning to fly?” She raises her rifle and fires without bothering to scope in - causing the target to shatter a ways down the range. Walking over to the console, her stare is still icy. “Now why don’t you answer what Smokey asked? Consider that my question too.”

thunk

ReaperJoe

• Personal Text
    All criticism is valid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2018, 12:55:32 AM »
Smokey's face remains mostly stoic as Calen prattles on, even as he tries to drag his father into the mix.  He doesn't say anything, doesn't make a move, just seemingly listening.  As far as appearances go, Smokey looks as calm as can be.  But beneath that stoic countenance is seething rage.

Calen had made a mistake bringing up Smokey's dad, and he wanted nothing more than to drive that gaunt, drunk face into the dirt in the moment Calen made his implication.  But Smokey restrains himself, as he recalls a conversation his father had with him years ago.

"But Dad, he was lying!  What was I supposed to do, let him get away with it?"

"That's not an excuse, and you know it.  And because you reacted, they're going to say the same things again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that.  You can't let them get to you like that, Smokey."

"So what was I supposed to do, then?!  Let him keep talking?"

"Exactly.  You knew they were lies, right?  All you have to do is let him talk, and his own mouth will get him in trouble sooner or later."

At the time, that conversation didn't make any sense to him.  Hell, part of him still disagrees in some regard, but right now that conversation seems strangely applicable.  Calen hadn't outright lied, so much as avoided the question.  Taking a moment to think about it, he'd probably hoped his father would be good enough bait to throw Smokey off the trail.  Unfortunately for Calen, all that did was tip Smokey off that he needed to be on guard.  And looking more closely at Calen's statement, his refusal to answer is all the more telling.

Smokey could call him out now, realistically speaking.  By implying his father is killing faunus second-hand, Calen had opened a Pandora's Box of possibilities.  For instance, following his logic, anyone who had used any form of Schnee dust had contributed to faunus murders.  But, well, Prism has asked her question, so for now, Smokey will wait and listen for his response.

Hexcodes:
FFD700
E55812
CCE9AE
Cyan
FFA400