RWBYFanon Social > General Discussion

RWBYFanon's 3rd Gladiatorial Games!

(1/3) > >>

Kellenredx:
Hello and Welcome to the Third Rwbyfanon gladiatorial tournament!  

What is this?:
This is a fun little tournament that you will be allowed to create a fighter for, dictating their skills, name, race and equipment and seeing them fight to the death with the other user-created fighters.
The fights will be simulated through the game “Dwarf Fortress” using the object testing arena, the battlegrounds may vary a little but it is mostly unimportant.
So I am stealing this idea from a reddit user who has stolen the idea from another forum so feedback is fully welcome as this is the first time I’ve hosted one of these.
You will not be in direct control of the character, the AI will control both characters.

How this will work:
Once the fights begin, I will take some time to setup the fights and will dump the raw fightlog along with an image of the aftermath.
Rather than splitting my posts into many smaller ones, each post will include all fights within that section so your patience is appreciated. (Eg:All of the semi-final fights will be posted as one instead of as multiple posts) 
If you are the winner of your fight, you will be given additional points to improve your gear and skills, as your unused points will be doubled. I will PM you once the results have been posted and a maximum of four days will be allowed to send me your changes.

Here is the remaining information you will need I highly suggest you read this post completely before beginning gladiator creation, however.

Important Information about Certain materials, races and weapons: ShowHide

Those familiar with the game may notice that I have not included whips and scourges as select-able weapons and while I am allowing allowing animal-men, if you DO want to play as an animal man, you are free to PM me and we can sort out a suitable point-value for you. Here is a list of animal people that are in-game.

My reasoning for the animal-men being a case-by-case is that some animal men have special abilities, such as having instantly paralyzing poison or 8 arms (Though I’d be impressed if you managed to fill all 8 arms with weapons.)

My reasoning for not allowing scourges and whips ties into how the game mechanics work. Because in Dwarf Fortress there is no real health bar and damage is mapped to body parts, the very small contact area and high speed of whips mean that they ignore armor almost entirely and can hit bone easily, even if your character is a giant, bone damage does an extremely high amount of pain in the character and makes them very likely to just pass out, meaning that a fight can be won for a whip-user from the first attack, this can also be a problem with ranged weapons but less so so I have allowed them in, as armor actually is useful against them. 

Also Silver is a poor choice for edged weapons but great for blunt weapons, keep that in mind.

While I really want to leave creation options open, I feel that controlling these options is best. If you take issue with this, feel free to shoot me a PM as this is my first attempt at balancing such a thing.

Below is an explanation at the differences between axes, short-swords, spears, war-hammers and crossbows

Slashing weapons, like short swords and battle axes, work by concentrating their force along a sharp edge, allowing them to cut gashes in or to completely sever body parts. Severing is most likely when the body part's thickness is smaller than the weapon's contact edge. They make the quickest work of unarmored opponents who are not tremendously large. They are far less effective against armored targets, however, as armor may prevent the cutting, converting strikes into weaker blunt damage.

Piercing weapons, like spears and picks, work by concentrating their force at a point, allowing them to punch through armor and damage internal organs. They often get stuck in the opponent, giving their wielder further leverage on the target.

Crushing weapons, like war hammers and maces, work by concentrating their force behind a large, blunt mass, putting dents in armor and breaking bones beneath their blows. These weapons are slow to kill their targets - fighters have a habit of breaking every bone in their opponent's body before finally landing a fatal head strike and moving on to the next target - but are the most effective weapons against large and heavily armored foes.

Ranged weapons - crossbows, bows, and blowguns - are effectively piercing weapons which work at a distance. When used in melee combat as a bludgeon, crossbows produce blunt weapon damage instead. Bows used in melee are treated like extremely weak swords. 

Information about certain skills: ShowHide
While I feel I don’t need to touch on what ability the “Axe User” skill will change, a small explanation for others might be helpful as you create your gladiator. I will just be paraphrasing from the Dwarf Fortress Wiki to help you understand what some the less self-explanatory skills will do in the interest of fairness.

Observer: In combat, observer skill is used to note and anticipate the attacks of enemies. Skilled observers are less likely to be surprised by an opponent's charge, for instance, and less likely to receive a penalty for being attacked from the side. Higher levels of the skill give more information - which arm the opponent is using for its next attack for example.
Striker: This enhances unarmed strikes with your fist.
Biter: Characters do not often bite when they have other methods of attack unless they have a special attack related to it, that said biting can cause massive damage and bleedout.
Misc Object User: This is only useful if you plan on using silly weapons like a sock, however this skill is used for shield-bashing.
Discipline:  A creature with high discipline is less likely to retreat in battle.
Thrower: Characters rarely throw what they are holding but hey, you’re welcome to put points into it if you want
Fighter: . Its use or significance is currently not known. However, when tested in arena mode with two creature, one unskilled and one grand master fighter, the one with fighter skill won consistently while armed with any of the default weapons. Unarmed creatures showed no preference.

Ability to attack with picks is partially affected by the “Mining Skill” which is not available in the Object Testing Arena so keep that in mind.

Gladiator Template: ShowHide 
Name:
Race and Gender:
Equipment:
Skills:
Points remaining: (Please double-check your amounts are correct)
Backstory: (Optional, this is just for flavor)

Below is a Sample Gladiator:

Name: Sir Shanksalot
Race and Gender: Human Male
Equipment:
Bronze Longsword
Bronze Buckler
Skills: Competent Fighter
Competent Swordsman
Competent Dodger
Competent Shield User
Points remaining: 0 (This means he will never earn any more points, even if he wins.)

Concerns, questions, and other information: ShowHide
“I have no idea what Dwarf Fortress is, can I still enter?”
Yep! I have no idea how many if you have played but even if this is your first time hearing about it, you are welcome to enter. Any questions about how something might work? Just shoot me a PM

“How many people will be allowed to join?”
I’ll allow in as many people who sign up within reason, in the event we have an odd number of entrants I will create an npc who abides by the rules if creation.

Gladiators: ShowHide 
We have 8 Slots open for potential Fighters
-Elphino Managed by Walter
-Karl S Managed by Kaliot
-Arryn Kase Managed by Skylia
-Ellie Fantits Managed by Nurgle's Chosen Dr. Gustave
-ShieldBro 2.0 Managed by NS
-StormTroop Redshirt Managed by Swordslinger
-FuzzyBumpkin Managed by Xar
-Weak-Elf-Fucker managed by CC

Sign-Ups will remain open as long as they need to be, some fighters may have to fight extra matches, that said you are free to sign-up up to two gladiators, although there is no saying that both will get in, in the case that they both cannot fit into the bracket, I will ask you which one you'd like to use

So, want in? Fill and post the template and your gladiator will be one step closer to glory! (Or a brutal death.)

The Arena: ShowHide

Fighters will obviously start on opposite ends of the arena.

Things that are different this time around:
-Shields cost 10 more points
-Climber and Swimming skills removed as they seem like point-traps
-The starting distance between fighters has been increased, hopefully giving ranged fighters a better chance

Bracket

All of the Slots are filled and the first round will soon be underway

Kellenredx:
Posting this for Walter because I said I would.
Name: Elephino
 Race and Gender: Male, Elephant Man
Equipment:  Silver mace - 52
Elephant leather leggings - 7
 Elephant leather helm - 6
Elephant leather armor - 12
Elephant leather mask - 5

Skills: Skilled Maceman - 50

Points remaining: 8

Backstory: A young elephant man who believes he once went mad and killed his entire family, now wearing their skin. Actually just got high from licking toads, ran into the savanna naked, murdered a bunch of actual elephants. Believes that wearing an elephant mask will throw people offf so they don't realize he's an elephant man.

Kaliot:
Name: Karl S
Race and Gender: Gremlin Male
Equipment:
Adamantine Dagger - 192
Sharkskin Leather Cap - 5
Sharkskin Leather High Boots - 5
Sharkskin Leather Gloves - 4
Skills:
Skilled Dodger - 50
Competent Knife User - 30
Competent Observer - 18
Points remaining: 6

History: Not an escapee from not Bright Coral Penitentiary.

Skylia:
Name: Arryn Kase

Race & Gender: Hooman Gril (210)

Equipment:
Platinum Daggerx2 - 128

Skills:
Skilled Knife Kid - 50
Competent Dooger - 30

Leftover shit: 2

History: The knife is affectionately referred to as Stabby, and there's now two of them for some reason. She'll also probably need a scorpion doctor to replace her other eye after this.

Dr. Gustave:
Name: Ellie Fantits
Race and Gender:Genderfluid Elephant Seal person
Equipment:
Iron Mail Shirt - 48
Leather Breastplate - 10
Iron Greaves - 36
Low Boots - 8
Skills:
Competent Wrestler - 24
Competent Striker - 24
Adequate Dodger - 15
Novice Kicker - 4
Novice Biter - 4
Points remaining: 7
Backstory: Ellie was among the many deep things that rose from the murky depths in a rigorous march to the arena. The Elephant Seal people would have their champion carried on the wings of their great old god and placed victorious at the end. By Ellie's wet, rubbery flippers would their opponents fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version