Author Topic: An Extra Edge [Closed]  (Read 2581 times)

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
An Extra Edge [Closed]
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:54:32 AM »
It's another beautiful day at weekend morning at Beacon Academy, where Prism Skylark's set up shop in one of Beacon's many training halls. The woman's swapped out her school garb for a simple athletic outfit and sneakers, no fancy heels or specially-modified tops in sight - a simple backless tank top to let her wings breath, a pair of tights, and an ever-present ammo belt slung around her hips. Hawk's Eye is in its glaive form on the ground next to her, and the woman's crouched on the ground, stretching one leg out to the side as she warms up. There's a couple of cardboard stands in the approximate shapes of Beowolves across the arena that she'd set up earlier, but other than that it wouldn't really be an unusual sight in the training halls - if it weren't for the fact it was 6:30 in the morning.

Nobody could ever say Prism didn't run a tight ship with Casanova, at least.

Now all that's left for the hummingbird faunus is for her teammate Coconut Cream to show up, having arranged for an early-morning training session. She'd seen the way he attacked during their initiation, and their sparing match made some things apparent - with a lack of a offensive semblance, Prism figured he needed another edge. And thankfully, she knew a trick or two that might just fit his style of going in hard.She just hopes he manages to make it on time despite the early wakeup - the boy had the tendency to sleep in, but they needed an uncrowded training hall for this. She'd at least nabbed breakfast for the both of them, based on the faint smell of bacon wafting from two takeout containers pushed against the side of the arena.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:58:21 AM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    (´・ω・`) | I feel down the stairs and ravioli on me
    • View Profile
Re: An Extra Edge [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »
God damn it, why does everything have to happen so early?

In many ways, Beacon was a dream come true for young Coconut. Cute girls, awesome fights, the chance to join the ranks of the world's greatest huntsmen. In other ways, he missed Signal and the ability to sleep in on the weekends.

Granted, he had chosen to do this training of his own volition. His fighting style was simple at best and primitive at worst. He needed something more to it if he was going to make it big - and Prism had offered to help with that.

Still, as he shuffled into the training hall, his hair even more of a mess than usual, he couldn't help but doubt if it'd be worth the effort. Aura attacks were cool, but he had neglected aura training for so long due to his lack of a decent semblance. Maybe it'd wind up a waste of time... So he thought until he entered the room and was met with Prism out of her usual form-binding outfit, in a pair of tights, stretching.

Yeah, 'twas worth.
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Anza Burgundy - 1st Year archer of team CRSA. "War eagle, feller!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
The sound of shuffling footsteps are enough to make Prism's head perk up, standing up to her full height and whirling to face her teammate with a grin. "Morning, Coco! I'm glad you arrived on time - I was honestly thinking you'd fallen back asleep!" She chirps, almost obnoxiously awake. Prism stoops to nab her glaive, before crossing over to the two takeout boxes against the wall. "I nabbed us breakfast from the dining hall, I hope you're okay with eggs, bacon, and OJ. There would've been toast, but I might've eaten yours alongside mine." She nudges one box in her teammate's direction, before stooping to nab steaming paper mug emitting steam from next to it - her usual caffeinated concoction that's mostly become a sugary sludge at this point.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:54:56 AM »
"O-oh, yeah, that sounds good. Good eating." he stammered out. He himself was dressed... The same as usual. Matter of fact, you'd very rarely see him train out of his regular huntsman outfit, if ever. His reasoning was that there would be no point practicing if he didn't do things the same he'd do them on the field.

He scurried over and opened the box, inhaling the scent of food with a pleasured sigh. Breakfast was one of his favorite parts of the day, and he was glad his leader was thoughtful enough not to make him skip it. He started with a sip of OJ to seem classy before chowing down on the bacon.

"So... how are we doing... this?" he asked between hungry bites.
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Prism watches in amusement as Coconut practically inhales his food, taking another sip of her coffee before answering. "Well, a good place to start off would be letting me know the extent of your training involving aura so far, and if you can do anything particular already, like reduce oncoming damage." She explains, before gesturing towards the Beowolf targets at the end of the arena. "Based on that, I'm going to see what I can try to teach you - I'm pretty well versed with long-distance aura attacks, and using aura to enhance the strength of your blows. Given your fighting style, I feel like they'd be pretty useful tricks to know."

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
Coco swallowed a piece of meat and scratched his chin. "Huh. Well, I... Can't do much. I know the basics from Signal and what my old teacher taught me and that's about it. I kind of know how to reduce the damage, but I'm more used to just... bracing physically for it." The boy explained as he wiped his mouth off.

"I-I'm willing to learn, though! Just let me know what you need me to do!"

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Prism listens carefully as he explains, crossing her arms as she considers what Coconut said. It sounds like they're going to need to start from scratch, since he apparently didn't know anything else - but his enthusiasm gets the corner of her mouth to quirk up, getting a decisive nod out of her. Right then. "Golden attitude, Coco. Make sure that enthusiasm doesn't die, okay?"

At that, she stoops to put her coffee on the ground, before picking up her glaive and walking back towards the center of the room. "Right, okay. What I want to try to teach you is aura-enhanced blows, and then focusing aura through your weapon for a ranged attack." She explains, shifting into a common starting stance. "Not only will this allow you to hit significantly harder-" The blade of Hawk's Eye gains a white sheen along the cutting edge, apparently opting for a physical demonstration. "But also let you strike down anybody outside your range!" She proclaims, sweeping her blade downwards in a slash, sending a white-shaped crescent flying off the edge, hurtling across the arena, and cutting one of the targets cleanly in half across the diagonal.

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 04:11:55 AM »
Coconut watched with his mouth agape as the blast of aura sliced the target in half like it was nothing. If he could figure this out, he'd be able to make up for his current lack of ranged attacks - something which would benefit him greatly in the coming tournament.

"That was awesome! ...How did you do that?" he asked. He really had no idea - he hadn't even properly thought about his aura in years.

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
"About three years of night classes at Signal Academy, staying up late to practice, and a lot of caffeine." Prism sheepishly admits, rubbing the back of her head. She couldn't lie - that move had taken forever to perfect. "Being my size means that every hit counts when it comes to melee combat, so I figured out early on that I needed all the damage bonuses I could get."

Twirling her staff once more, she brings it up next to her before turning to face Coconut. "In reality though, I'm expecting it'll be easier for you to get then me - I know you were enrolled at Signal full-time, so you probably at least have the discipline and techniques down." Prism explains, before leaning the blade of the glaive down towards Coco.  "Here's the first trick - concentrating your aura through your weapon. Your sword is an extension of you, like the glaive is an extension of me. It's as in-tune with your own body as your breathing, your heartbeat..." Prism closes her eyes then, a furrow to her brow demonstrating her concentration. "...which, by closing your eyes, and imaging it holds as much power as you do, lets you concentrate your aura along it's edge." True to her words, the blade of the glaive begins to shimmer a familiar white.

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
"I-I think you should know I barely passed those classes. I'm not even sure how I did. But I'll try!" Coconut said before watching Prism's demonstration. He then followed her example, taking his sword out from its sheath and closing his eyes. He tries his best to concentrate. Getting the image of Prism's posterior in a pair of tights out of his mind proves to be a challenge.

Come on, Coco, concentrate! Extension of yourself, extension of yourself, extension of... Oh.

Imagining it as an extension of himself... Isn't really that hard, somehow.

Because he's held a blade in his hands for most of his life, of course. That's the reason. Even so, he isn't able to focus his aura into it right away. He simply doesn't quite have the control over it.

My good ole AMA

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »
"You want to be powerful, right Coconut? I know you exercise every morning, you put in the extra time to fight with a weight attached to your blade when we spared. This is your shot at it." Prism explains, turning to face her teammate. There's a certain determination set in here eyes, the white edge along her glaive shimmering gently. "You want to hit harder, faster - so pour your soul, your everything into that sword - imagining just how powerfully you'll manage to hit."