Author Topic: Frostbite [Closed]  (Read 9703 times)

Kaliot

• View Profile
Frostbite [Closed]
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
Mahava Plains
Frouri
Town Center

General Vicinity: Townspeople
Immediate Vicinity: Savas Carnelian, Aurelia Caelius

It was the middle of winter and the wicked air clawed at their bare skin with every passing breeze. Still, it was still not as bad as the harshest of Atlesian winters. Fortunately. There were few clouds in the sky leaving room for the noon Sun and its warmth to lay claim. A fresh sheet of snow had blanketed the town during the past night, but it was short-lived in the paths of the townspeople, trampling all over it or brushing it off to the side of walkways; there were a few unmolested patches here and there, but still they owed their lives to temporarily merciful or ignorant children.

Aurelia sat in the outside dining area of what was essentially a cafe, typically used by those who just wanted to watch blacksmiths work or for those waiting for their items to be finished. Chatter and the sound of metal-striking-metal filled the air, and behind that, a background of rocks and pebble rubbing together as people walked down the gravel pathways. She took a sip of her expectedly-cold tea only having ordered it a few minutes ago.

"So, when do you plan on visiting Praetor Rubra?" she said as she was setting down her cup. "I'm sure she's dying to see you. But I wouldn't be surprised if she''s seen you already".

She was proud of that one.
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Characters: ShowHide

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    The Destroyer of Dreams & Expectations
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
Despite the reassuring ringing of metal on metal from the blacksmith, the cold air surrounding him, and the familiarity of the building surrounding him, Savas couldn't help but scowl slightly over his folded arms as he sat across the table of the huntress before him. It wasn't the fact that he was home or Aurelia's little remark that had him on alert. No, those weren't the reasons for his mood. It was the fact that he was sitting at a cafe having a drink with a female and the fact that everyone around them might consider them a couple. Not to mention the fact that his companion today was a huntress. And so, as immature and stupid as the reason may be, it was enough to get him slightly on edge.

"Nggrh" he snorted, trying to keep a straight face. "I'll visit her later." Holding back on saying more, since he knew that Praetor Rubra already knew he was here, he simply looked down at his now cold cup of coffee. "What did you want of me?" he finally inquired after a moment of awkward silence. Despite never being on a mission together with her, he knew of Aurelia during his first year in Beacon. At the time of his first meeting with her, he was the hopeful Academy student that wanted nothing more than to learn as much as he could from his peers, including her since they were from the same town. Now, after three years of experience and loss, he was less hopeful and more resolved that he would forever be at war against the cruel world that was before him.

Holding nothing against her request to have him accompany her back to their hometown, Savas simply wanted to get this meeting over with as well as this visit home so that he could get back to Beacon and finish his final year there.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
Aurelia, like usual, was completely oblivious to the 'situation'.

She pouted her lips. She leaned back in her chair, crossed her arms, and then put one hand against her cheek. "I just wanted some company on this long trek, is that too much to ask? Besides, who better to ask then my junior". She sighed and leaned forward back onto the table. "I was contacted by Praetor Caeruleus [Aurelia's Praetor] with a request from Praetor Rubra to bring you here. And you know how she is: had I declined, she would've definitely left to hunt you down. We can't be having that now could we. Besides, it's always nice to visit home every now and again".
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Listening to Aurelia's reply, Savas relaxed slightly. I guess Rubra wants to talk he thought to himself. Picking up his cup of coffee lightly so as to not crush it by accident, he drank some of the contents before placing the cup back down. "Ngggrh...you have a point on that" he remarked, trying his best to not sound too skeptical of her. Despite being on familiar terms with Aurelia, Savas still found it hard to befriend people, whether it was due to his sheer size or because of his desire to not grow close to people any longer. "I guess it would be good to visit home and see everyone" he added, his voice rumbling deeply in his throat.

Shrugging his shoulders to adjust Sandalphon and Metatron on his back, Savas turned his attention briefly to look at Aurelia. Despite not seeing her around all that much after she graduated from Beacon, she still looked the same as before. No matter how much he tried to keep his distance from people, there was something about her that made him want to look up to her and to listen to her like the old days. Doing his best to suppress his feelings, he did his best to keep his composure around his companion, if anything to at least look like he had grown up from the boy he once was that she knew. "And what about you?" he inquired, looking over at the blacksmiths for a moment before switching his gaze back on Aurelia. "Will you be visiting your old roots while here?" Gazing over his horn at her with penetrating olive green eyes, he picked up his cup again and took another drink from it.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Her eyes met his with the same intensity. "Huh?," Aurelia said, slightly caught off guard. She tilted her head, and one of her free hands balled into a fist and began gently tapping against the table with no clear bear or rhythm. "I...yeah, I guess you could say that. Family, old comrades, old mentors, old friends. You know, the usual suspects". Her hand relaxed to pick up her cup . She finished the rest of her tea, it making a quiet dink as it met against the plate on which it had been served.

Aurelia scooted back her seat and stood up. "Finish up. She's waiting". Aurelia laid some money on the table, enough to cover for the two and just a bit extra. She leaned back against the table, parallel to the walkway, with both her hands atop each other protecting her body from the table, watching the blacksmiths work away.
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
"Ngggrh. You've got a point." Savas muttered, finishing the remaining coffee in one big gulp. Standing up from his chair, he took note of Aurelia paying for his share of the bill. She's always had a friendly side to her he thought, scratching the back of his head briefly. "Thanks for covering my share" he stated, standing next to her. Would others look at the two of them, they would've seen the most strangest of pairs simply due to their size differences. Guess I shouldn't be so suspicious of her...she's just being herself he thought again, looking down at her. "Sorry if I seem upset at you" he murmured for her ears only, placing his left hand on the back of his neck. "I'm not" he added, trying to sound as sincere as he could, though it still came out as a rumble through his throat.

Taking a step forward, Savas began to make his way to the Clan Gladiis encampment and main hall, knowing that Rubra was waiting for him. "Think you can keep up?" he inquired loudly over the clanging of metal on metal coming from the blacksmiths. Shooting a quick glance to Aurelia, he continued onward, his feet making a loud thud with each step as it crushed the gravel pavement below.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
"Hm? Don't worry about it, Savas". Her gently distanced herself from the table and stretched her arms in the air before following him down the rocky pathway.

"Making fun of my size?" Aurelia said with a smirk. She had to keep quick pace to keep up with the giant. "I'll have you know I eat Grimm your size for dessert.". Losing wasn't an option for her, and she had no intention of doing so here, either. "So, what do you think she wants to talk to you about?" she asked. Given the round-about way Aurelia dragged him here, it would definitely a surprise to be sure.
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
"Ngggrh" Savas snorted, suppressing a smirk that slightly creased across his face at her Grimm remark. He was sure that she had faced numerous Grimm that were bigger than he was. He thought about making a little joke about how eating Grimm would taste, but decided to remain quiet and continued to trudge on with a stoic expression. Each step he took made a continual crunch sound as he smashed the gravel deeper into the ground from his sheer weight. Though he had thought about wearing his lighter leather armor since he was simply coming home, he thought against it and wore his breastplate armor today. Appearance was crucial, especially here amidst all the other clans and he did not want to make it appear that he had gotten soft after leaving here.

"Ngggrh...not sure what she wants" Savas said simply after a brief pause. "Probably to inquire how Beacon is going for me" he added. Deep down, however, he had a feeling why she had called him back. She probably heard about what happened to my teammates he thought, doing his best to suppress the memories of the tragic event. Despite his best efforts, the memories flooded his mind as if it had just happened yesterday: the sight of blood in the snow as Vigdus breathed his last, a shocked look crossing his face. The screams that echoed through the trees as his teammates tried desperately to ward off the relentless attacks. The tears that fell from Auburn's eyes that were locked on to his own as she was killed after trying to protect him.

As the memories continued to run through his mind, Savas gritted his teeth as his expression took an even more impenetrable gaze. Clenching his fist briefly, he continued walking down the pavement as the main building for Clan Gladiis came into view. Let's get this over with... he thought as he squared his shoulders and moved on, forgetting for a moment that Aurelia was with him as he did his best to calm the storm in his heart before he came face to face with Rubra.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
Aurelia clasped her hands behind her back, staring straight ahead as the prevalence of the color red became evermore apparent and the crowd growing thinner as they moved away from the center of town until it became almost eerily quiet. She took a couple fast steps to get slightly ahead of Savas and tilted her body towards him. "Oh, did it have to do with not participating in this years festival?" she asked, an inquisitive look on her face. "I'm sure she was really looking forward to your matches".

And that was when she noticed that something seemed familiarly odd; his body language was suggesting that something was not quite right. Her heart started to get cloudy itself, but she staved it off. Her mind kept far away from the idea, but somewhere in her subconscious she knew of one possibility that would connect all the dots together. And yet she smiled, and would continue to do so, not only for those around her but herself as well. And if her deepest fears are realized, for Savas as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:33:26 PM by Kaliot »
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »
Walking towards the building, Savas' dark thoughts were interrupted abruptly by the question that Aurelia asked. Blinking for a moment as he was startled back to reality, he simply looked down at the smiling face that was looking up at him. Get yourself together man! he thought to himself. "Ngggrh...perhaps that could be it" he said simply as they finally made it to the door of the hall. "Suppose you can come in also" he stated simply as he pushed the doors open.

The hall of Clan Gladiis was what one would think as a simple hall: there was nothing too special that marked it. Crimson red banners hung on the walls down the stone hall with two long tables parallel to each other ran much of the length of the hall, separated by a blazing fire that warmed the room during the winter. At the far end of the room, a large chair with a desk in front of it was placed for the Head of the clan.
Hearing the door open, Rubra looked up to see who it was. Bout time she thought irritably as she watched the behemoth of a faunus walk in with Aurelia behind him. Motioning towards the other in the hall to leave, she kept her gaze on the two. Despite training him since he was a lad, his size was still a shocking sight to see. "I see you like to still keep me waiting after all these years?" she remarked, her eyes locked right at Savas' eyes as if drilling through his skull. Standing up from behind her desk, she walked around to stand in front of it. "Perhaps I should have a talk with the Headmaster to fix your tardiness, hm?" she added, waiting as the giant made his way to stand before her. "Kneel." she commanded, mostly because she didn't feel like arching her neck to look up at him. Seeing him comply, she looked straight into his eyes before looking over at Aurelia. "Good to see you Aurelia" she said, nodding slightly in acknowledgement to her before shooting her hard gaze back at Savas. After a moment of her gaze drilling deep into his eyes, she softened her eyes and simply gave him a hug. Even with him kneeling before her, he was still too big so that all she could do was put her arms around his waist as he simply knelt there before her, quiet as always. "Why didn't you come to see me after what happened? Or at least come back for Vigdus' funeral?" she asked softly.

Kneeling there before Rubra, Savas simply kept his head bowed slightly as she hugged him. Not hugging back, he tried his best to keep his composure as she inquired why he didn't return home. "Ngggrh...I figured Headmaster Alban had told you what happened" he said quietly. Despite him partially wishing that Aurelia wasn't around to witness this, he simply let it slide and let down his walls that blockaded the emotions in his heart from coming out. "I couldn't protect them" he said. Though his face still held a granite hard look, his voice clouded over with emotions. Clenching his fists, he bowed his head further. "They died because I was too weak to protect them...too weak to protect her." As his voice began to choke at the thought of Auburn, his eyes also began to slowly cloud over as he fought hard to stop the tears from falling. Inevitably, a single tear fell onto the shoulder of Rubra as she continued to simply hug him as a mother would a broken child.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
Clan Gladiis Grand Hall

General Vicinity: Nobody
Immediate Vicinity: Savas Carnelian, Aurelia Caelius, +Rubra Cerasis

Getting acknowledged by Rubra, Aurelia simply nodded and bowed slightly.

Her chest felt like it caved in, collapsing on her heart. Aurelia didn't want to believe what she was hearing. Her fears and anxieties, once tapping on the door, were now slamming into it, screaming to get in; she had no intention of letting them have their way. Not here. Not now, at least. Her fists clenched as she struggled to keep her emotions under control. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth as if she were about to speak, but she quickly shut it again, instead choosing to make a quiet exit.

Outside, the breeze had picked up a bit, the cold air more furiously clawing at her than it had before; she felt none of it though. Distant memories of Vigdus popped into her mind like explosions from a fireworks show. She wanted to scream. She wanted to yell. She wanted to cause pandemonium. She removed her compacted weapon from her waist, looking at it before looking into the sky and muttering under her breath.

"Fuck". Aurelia's grip on her weapon tightened as she let it fall to her side.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:06:27 PM by Kaliot »
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
It felt like an eternity had passed. An eternity of memories and regret. Memories of the last three years spent at Beacon: moments of laughing at Vigdus' stupid jokes, moments of studying in the late of the night next to Auburn, and moments spent on numerous missions protecting each other's backs. Still kneeling there, Savas simply kept his eyes downcast as Rubra continued to hug him.

Holding on to Savas as a mother would a broken child, Rubra patted back softly to help console him as she noticed Aurelia leaving quietly. Can't blame her for leaving she thought. After a couple minutes, she let go of him and looked into his green eyes. "It wasn't your fault" she said softly before taking a step back and leaning against her desk. "Tragedies happen that we can't avoid. They are what makes us stronger." Gesturing him to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of her desk, she went around and sat back down in her chair. "Now, tell me what happened?" she inquired. The best thing for Savas now would be to let it all off his chest so that he can take the next step forward. And Rubra decided that it was her place to set him back on his path again.

Thirty minutes later...

Taking a deep breath, Savas calmed himself before opening the door to leave Rubra's presence. As harsh as she could be during training, she did care about those under her protection. Letting the door shut behind him, he looked around briefly and then noticed Aurelia standing on the side of the building. Ngggrh...she probably heard a little of the story he supposed, noticing that she was not in the hall when he began to talk to Rubra further.

Walking over to Aurelia, Savas put on a granite-like face as he approached her. "Were you waiting long?" he inquired. No point in trying to hide anything now as she looked like she had a lot on her mind. Though there was a big part of him that wished she had not heard anything prior, there was also a small part that was subconsciously thankful that there was at least one other person he could talk to about the situation. "Was there anywhere you would like to go?" he asked, hoping to try and break the silence.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
By the time Savas had finally reemerged from the clan hall, Aurelia had already cooled off both literally and figuratively; the cold had burrowed into her skin, causing tremors to quake throughout her body, her sheer force of will doing its best to limit them to once every few minutes. The things that had once plagued her mind thirty minutes prior had since departed, though not completely.

She had removed a fire-Dust round from her weapon and was tossing it into the air repeatedly, not bothering to pause upon his appearance and only responding with an ambiguous hum as Savas asked about the wait. Upon his second inquiry, she held the round in her balled hand. A silence took too the air as Aurelia took a moment to think, wondering if she should just talk to him directly, or if she should let her actions speak for themselves. Rubra of all people broke the silence as she popped her head, directing a "Be prepared by the break of dawn" at Aurelia. She didn't have time to respond so she simply nodded.

Having settled on what she wanted to do, Aurelia removed herself from the wall she was leaning on and said to Savas, "Yes, actually. Follow me". She began to walk in some direction away from the hall, the round exploding in her fist.

Aura: 100% 92% (-8%)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:23:22 PM by Kaliot »
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
Caught slightly off guard by Aurelia's response as well as Rubra's remark about being prepared for something, Savas simply complied and followed behind Aurelia, the heat from the exploding round briefly warming him before it quickly dissipated. Despite his longer legs, it took him a brief moment before he was keeping pace alongside her. No doubt, she probably heard my conversation with Rubra earlier he thought, trying not to look down at her facial expression now. No matter. It's in the past he thought, looking around as the buildings around them slowly passed by.

After what felt like an eternity of silence between the two, Savas decided to break the silence. "Ngggrh...Where are we going?" he inquired, still not looking down at Aurelia. Rolling his right shoulder briefly so as to adjust his weapons on his back a bit, he quickly cracked his neck as he continued to walk forward. Whatever Aurelia had in mind, he would do his best to be prepared for anything she would throw past him.

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
Clan Gladiis Residential District (Outskirts)

General Vicinity: Nobody
Immediate Vicinity: Savas Carnelian, Aurelia Caelius, -Rubra Cerasis

"Visiting an old friend of mine," Aurelia told Savas, her eyes unwavering from the pathway, only diverting themselves to take glances at the passing red-decorated buildings to make sure she was going in the right direction. "Since we're in the area, I figured why not".

After a few more minutes, they came upon an ordinary, one-story house among many others. "This is it," she said as she looked up toward the roof. "I'm not sure if he's even home," Aurelia said. She took a deep breath and raised a shivering fist toward the door, hesitating for a few moments before actually rapping on the fairly new wooden door. "I sure hope this is the right house". She chuckled, though it was not as lively as before.

Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting