Author Topic: Trial Under Fire[VLPS][Closed]  (Read 35031 times)

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    No such thing as too much enthusiasm.
    • View Profile
Trial Under Fire[VLPS][Closed]
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:03 PM »
Team VLPS, as they were to be called from now on were seated in an all terrain jeep, driving just outside the limits of the city surrounding Shade Academy. The midday sun is high in the sky and the desert is hot as it always is. The four girls had only just finished with the freshman ceremony at the Academy when they learned all the newly formed freshman teams would be sent out on missions around the city. The team was given access to this very jeep and instructions to head outside city limits and wait for contact about their mission details.

Their newly appointed leader Lynae had taken the wheel, possibly because of her appointment, but probably because she was the only one comfortable driving the vehicle. Sona sat in the passenger seat, while Patchouli and Vidalia had the backseat to themselves. If they were at all worried over where exactly they should stop to be outside limits, they needent have. Their scrolls ding in unison.

Sona snatches up her scroll as it dings, so quickly it's obvious how anxious she was to receive the details of their job. Glancing to Lynae driving, she sighs and begins to read aloud as opposed to herself.

Team VLPS,
This mission will serve as your initiation at Shade Academy. It does not grade on the standard Huntsman mission grades, and is well within your capabilities according to your transcripts. You will prove your skills in your execution of the objective below, and return successful to the Academy. There shall be no alternative.

A group of merchants has been harassed by poachers near the south exit of the city you are now approaching. Harassed individually, they eventually gathered together and counter attacked against the poachers after their product. The group drove the poachers from the area, but they want them captured so they do not resume operations. They deferred to the academy on this as they are hesitant to follow the ruffians to their hideout, a small ruin whose coordinates are enclosed. Recovery of any stolen goods will be considered for extra credit. The apprehension or elimination of the bandits will complete the request, and is your objective. All other mission information can be found attached to this mail.

We will observe your work via your scroll readouts and after action interview. The professor who will be following your progress is Professor Sohrab. You will be representing the academy, so please keep this in mind as you take action. We at Shade look forward to the results of your Trial under Fire.

Signed Shade Academy. Sona finishes.
First year @ Beacon: Sherwood Cathasaigh - Leader of Team ASPN

First year @ Shade: Sona Aurelia - Member of Team VLPS

Head of Archaeology @ Shade Academy:  Dr. Richard Pelle - Graduate of Team RALE

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
Re: Trial Under Fire[VLPS][Closed]
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »
Patchouli shifted uncomfortably in her seat. If she leaned forward, the jostling made her queasy... if she sat back, her quills scratched the upholstery. There really was no way to make a jeep ride through the desert pleasant, but Patchouli knew it was especially bad for her. Under the threat of motion sickness, she was beyond grateful that Sona saved her the trouble of reading out the long-winded mission briefing.

"Professor Sohrab, huh...? I heard he's- oof- pretty brutal..." Patchouli recalled a conversation she had overheard the previous night. Two students were telling horror stories they'd heard from upperclassmen of ludicrous missions Professor Sohrab had given them... but that was multiple levels of hearsay, right? Surely her introductory mission as part of VLPS would be... easy, right? If there were anything truly dangerous in those ruins, Shade wouldn't let them go... right??

"What do you girls think? 'Trial under Fire' sounds pretty intimidating..."
1st Year Beacon Students: ShowHide
Hagane Inaba- Can melt steel beams. Leader of team HTDG
Mint Fresch- A chipper gale.
Persimmon Burhan- A douche.
Carnation Prescott- Get it, CAREa? Sorry.
Lissa Lime- Beacon's spinning top
Jacob Stillwater- Nailed it

Literally everyone else: ShowHide
Patchouli Breschi- First year at Shade. Don't let her penetrate you.
Diamante Solar- Third Year at Beacon. Feel the Light of the Holy Noodle!
Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.
Crystal Evermore- Aura professor at Beacon Academy.

Now introducing my AMCA, complete with apathy!

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
Lynae cleared her throat, "'...And is well within your capabilities,' That's a direct quote. I don't think the name being scary has anything to do with the difficulty of the mission. Though if that professor is especially brutal then we just have to be..good. There, simple!" She giggled, trying to reassure her teammate.The girl kept her eyes on the wheel, making sure that she didn't mess up before the mission started.

Lynae was wondering shy she out of the rest of the girls was picked to be leader, but she shrugged it off was 'Shade knows best'.

Recalling the mission briefing, Lynae looked confused. "Wait a minute,'apprehension OR elimination'? That's..weird."

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
Vidalia stared off into space as Sona read their mission details. What she did hear was that this mission was serving as their initiation. she didn't mind since she was use to these things happening here since she did live here.Navigating would be simple for here but what about her team? Would they trust her to guide them in the right direction? Vidalia decided to just dismiss the thought and opted to just keep her mouth shut for now.

"It shouldn't be a problem anyway. Most crimes here are handled by the Shade academy students well the minor ones anyway, such as this. It will be easy anyway," Vidalia tells them.
Noctis Quartz#8E44AD - 1st yr Beacon student, Medic of Team ASPN "This might hurt...a lot. So don't cry"

Vidalia Umbra#FBF9AB- 1st yr Shade Academy student, Overactive child of Team VLPS "Maybe you can give me a cupcake."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »
"That's standing operating procedure when dealing with criminal element. Huntresses are with in rights to eliminate criminals whose actions are heinous, are too dangerous to be apprehended, or whose actions threaten an innocent. Any combination of those." Sona says. Even though she was repeating something of a textbook definition, the girl's face has clouded over and her expression darkened. After a contemplative moment, she lightly shakes her head.

"...I'm familiar with the methods of policing banditry." She says, and she returns to her scroll. She skims the information attached to to the message, but rather than open any of the files she keys the coordinates into the GPS. "Well, it's not too far. Apparently it's..." Sona says, pointing in the direction of an expansive rock formation with her eyes still locked on her scroll. "...over there somewhere. Roughly 10 minutes out."

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
"Ten minutes isn't too far."Keeping one hand on the wheel, Lynae uses her other hand to turn up the radio. With a grin forming on the girl's face, she let the car speed ahead, making sure not to wipe out. She looked at her surroundings as she sped past them: huge rocks, some large birds in the sky and even a cow skull that lay in the sand.  "Banditry, eh?" Lynae glances at Sona, turning down the radio as a particularly bad song began to play.

"Anyway, poachers doesn't sound too bad; especially if they were driven out by a group of merchants. How skilled are poachers, anyway?" The girl thought out loud.

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »
Patchouli continued to fidget in silence with nothing to add to the conversation at hand.

Dannum Sohrab- Professor of practical combat skills at Shade. Or at least that's his excuse to blow things up.

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
"Here? Psh, not many are skilled. Like I said, it will be easy," Vidalia says as she fiddles with the edges of her skirt. "Are we there yet?"

Vidalia reaches forward with the seatbelt tugging at her neck to change the station. She really hated that song, so she tried to switch to another station, but only found that all the songs currently playing she hated. Her fingers twisted the volume knob to the left. She'd rather sit in silents then listen to that atrocity that Vacuo calls music.
Noctis Quartz#8E44AD - 1st yr Beacon student, Medic of Team ASPN "This might hurt...a lot. So don't cry"

Vidalia Umbra#FBF9AB- 1st yr Shade Academy student, Overactive child of Team VLPS "Maybe you can give me a cupcake."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
"Poachers are the type of bandits that only hold up caravans or travelers for their possession. Cowardly types, who'd rather avoid a fight by stealing from some archeologist or food caravan." Sona adds. "Definitely not skilled." Sona frowns, as if to say something more, but must decide against it.

After a moment, Sona sets her scroll down in one of the cup holders and turns to look at Lynae. Her brows are raised slightly and whatever had been darkening her expression before has disappeared, leaving her with a curious look. She lolls her head back, her long hair slipping over the side of the seat to hang behind it. Her expression doesn't change as she looks at the other two girls. With a small exhale she corrects herself in her seat, pulling her hair back to the front side of the seat.

"We'll be fine. I know I'm certainly not going to lose to bandits now. We wouldn't be here if we couldn't handle this much."

Mere minutes later, some of that drive taken up by idle chatter and the rest by silent anticipation, the girls approach the coordinates they were sent. They see ruins, of a failed camp that collapsed from lack of funding, Grimm attacks or may even both. A few scattered buildings still stand, though none with a ceiling and each missing most of at least one wall. On the face of the rock formation, behind the ruins is a large cave mouth, dark and impossible to see into.

No one seems to stir in the ruins as the jeep pulls up to them. All that was missing seems to be a tumbleweed being pushed along by the wind.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:04:35 PM by willow_lark »

Flooberoid

• Personal Text
    Who, memu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »
Eager for solid ground, Patchouli's feet were the first to hit the sand as the gang climbed out of the vehicle. She took several deep breaths of the arid, stagnant atmosphere before even starting to take in her surroundings. When finally she came to her senses, an eerie feeling washed over Patchouli; it wasn't often she was the loudest thing around.

"Um... girls?" Patchouli whispered softly to the team. "Does anyone see any signs of the poachers? Because if they are here- in these ruins, you know- well... they probably heard us coming."

Indeed, any corner could be a potential ambush here. Patchouli's eyes darted about from building to building without catching a glimpse of a living organism, and kept resting upon the ominous cave in the rocks. At this moment even the shimmering of mirages she had become so accustomed to nearly made her jump. Without thinking, Patchouli slowly and silently drew out a fistful of needles and held them close to her chest.

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
As Lynae took a step out of the jeep the girl took a moment to take a good look at the situation. It was true that the team could be ambushed at this moment, especially. Lynae cracked her knuckles and transformed her weapons so now they were covering her hands in gauntlet form."We have dust, if they were here and really wanted to play that game we can just smoke theme out. The mission was to capture or eliminate, remember?" She put emphasis on the 'eliminate part of her sentence, just in case anyone heard her.

In reality, Lynae wasn't going to set off explosions in a ruin that could have treasure buried somewhere. It was a small possibility, but not one worth risking lien for.

MissyMidna

• Personal Text
    Nerf this ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
When Vidalia got out of the vehicle she held her blade at her hip with the other hand resting on the hilt. She needed to stay on the objective. Don't get distracted, she told herself. Patchy seemed alert and Lyane seemed...excited?

"Whats the plan?" Vidalia asked.

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
"You heard what Lynae said. Eliminate or capture." Sona replies as she steps out of the jeep. She looks over the ruins as well, as she lightly takes one of her Chakrams in each hand. Seemingly without nerves, she puts a hand on her hip and looks to Lynae.

"Well, I suppose how we do that is up to you Lynae." Sona motions with her other hand in a 'go ahead' fashion.

CptSteel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
 Lynae made her way to the cave and peered inside, not seeing past the darkness.

"I think I have something. I'll give us a source of light. Though if anyone is listening to us they really should be giving up already. If they end up giving us too much trouble we will have to 'eliminate'." Lynae smirks, producing a few bubbles and imbuing them with fire dust. She let the bubbles float through the cave entrance.

"If there is anything nasty near the entrance I hope they try to scuttle from that bubble. If there's nothing there, then we can go in, faunus first; you know, for the night vision. But yeah, try to capture them, if you can. Destroy their weapons. If we manage to capture any of them we can get someone to guard them. Patchy, can you stay at the very front as a lookout. Sona, you go beside her and you can guard the poachers if we find any here. Vidalia, can you with me as the muscle. I need you if they decide to fight back a bit too hard. And I..will direct the group and provide cover fire, should anything happen. Hell, this could be a dead end."

willow_lark

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
"Stay in the back?" Sona says, her voice rising as she speaks. Giving Lynae a testy glare, she cuts her volume down to almost normal, but her tone is still quite heated. "I'm perfectly capable of fighting and I will do so! I'm not letting anyone else do my fighting for me!"