Author Topic: Nathan Eau  (Read 29864 times)

Vox Machinae

• Administrator

• Abusive Webmaster

• View Profile
Re: Nathan Eau
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 09:35:30 PM »
Right. Let me put an end to this scientific dick waving by choking you with mine.

Read this. This has everything you need to know about why plasma weaponry is stupid without specific bullshit attached, and said specific bullshit enables a lot of other bullshit. End result, effective plasma weaponry is banned and this is not up for debate.

Now, the particle beam...

One, nuclear tech at all opens a can of worms for the setting I don't want to deal with, and as the resident science guy, I WILL have to deal with it, so until Canon DIRECTLY shows or mentions fission or fusion reactions, they're banned.

Now on to the shit you've said.

There are no bullets. It's, as stated, a burst of collimated, relativistic helium atoms (note that they're atoms, meaning they're electrically neutral) produced by a Dust-catalyzed boron-proton fusion reaction. There is no impact force to speak of - the entirety of the damage is caused but the projectiles' temperature.

a burst of collimated, relativistic helium atoms

relativistic

There is no impact force to speak of

Bull. Shit.

You do not get to throw around fractions of c without doing your goddamn math, and any set of atomic projectiles that can impart enough heat on its target to be as effective as a bullet is going to be packing a more than appreciable amount of kinetic punch.

There's a bit of a pattern here, Nathan. You trying to use a lot of scientific talk to justify something that sounds reasonable on the surface to someone untrained, but more than a cursory examination reveals your bullshit. Relativistic weapons. Handwavium materials that store energy equivalent to a nuclear weapon. At least your mary sue special snowflake nanites were open about their nature, as was the other handwavium which was essentially a magic invulnerability shield, but it's all part of the same overarching theme.

Frankly, I'm sick of staff chat being full of reviewers complaining about your bullshit.

I'm sick of dealing with the scientific and mathematical flaws behind your bullshit.

I'm sick of your bullshit.

No more arguing with my staff about banned technologies. No more "um, but, well" attempts to get it through.

You do NOT get to have cheap skiffy godmode shit. So from this point forward, you're banned from even trying. Don't even fucking bother.

Purge it. This is your only option.

Because if I get called into this shit again, and see you trying to pull a c-fraction weapon out of your ass, I'm just going to ban you from the RPG side of the site and be done with it.

You have your fucking review.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:37:14 PM by Vox Machinae »

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »
Sorry, I thought I removed it when I put it in the spoiler. My bad.

EDIT: Removed a bunch of stuff.
EDITWO: Changed the CS to reflect the lack of ranged capabilities.
EDITHREE: Currently working on re-adding ranged, non-skiffy shit capability along with actual weaknesses.
FOUREDIT: Re-added very close range as a big weakness. Specified he's kinda lame at long range. As intermediate range remains unspecified, assume he's as flat average as possibly feasible.
FIVEDIT: Worded new weapon sections, will add mechanics under Specifics if reviewer demands it. Also re-added the LR crystals under a spoiler tag for future use.

I think he's ready again. I removed the skiffy shit and put 2 weaknesses on his sorry butt.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:17:59 PM by nathan67003 »
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    The Destroyer of Dreams & Expectations
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
Oh look...another white hair...I think I'll name this one "Nathan the Second" ;)

Okay, now to more serious matters...

Weapons:
Seriously...a fourth AND fifth form? I am fine with the jump pack, staff, and semi-auto rifle. I will, however, draw the line there.

Quaternary Form: NO. No to your weapon having a fourth form that can damage up to 20% of a person's aura every two seconds. No to you having a weapon that can shoot at Mach 4.5 since that basically makes it nearly impossible to dodge. No to this form ever being a possibility because it's OP so remove this form. End of discussion.

Quinary Form: NO. No to your weapon having a FIFTH form that can more than likely blast a hole through someone. No to you having a weapon that shoots at Mach 4.5 since that would basically not only blow a hole through the person, but the next 3 - 4 people as well. No to this form ever being a possibility because it's SOOOOO OP that it makes other Mary Sue weapons look not OP. This form will also be removed. End of discussion.

Now that I got that out of my system, I do have one other concern for your character.

Secondary Form: You have down that he uses 5x20 mm tungsten slugs and carries a total of 600 slugs on him. If you do the math (and I'm being very generous here), the total weight of all this would be roughly 43lbs. Seeing that the weight would be 1/4 the body weight of Nathan, this will definitely be a hindrance for him in combat. If you decide to keep that amount of bullets on him, then you will have the make a note that he's combat ability would be hindered by this weight. My suggestion would be to lower the amount of slugs he carries. There is absolutely no reason for him to carry that much rounds on him....seriously.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 06:06:47 PM »
Removed forms 4 and 5, even though I'd be hard-pressed to dodge anything going at vaguely supersonic speeds :P

Well the good news is that removing the space necessary to store the sniper slugs and insert the cannon slugs freed up a lot of space, so the clip now holds about 300 slugs and he keeps only 1 extra mag.

Other thing: though I fully understand your concern about the weight of those bullets, they're not actual cylinders: imagine a spitzer bullet shape (.50 cal, for example) and mirror that so that it makes a sort of pointy ellipsoid. That reduces the weight by at least half, by conservative calculations. This should allow him to move pretty much like normal (I regularly carry over 15 pounds and it barely slows me down, and I'm basically Nathan's exact build). It probably wouldn't affect staff handling too much as the mass is relatively light and concentrated in the center, allowing for almost no change in rotational inertia.

Reason to carry that many rounds: suppressive fire and, to a lesser extent, spray and pray.

I also have a question (I am not trying to validate those, just curious): would having slower speeds and reload be acceptable to make the fourth and fifth form into their own weapon? If so, any suggestions on the numbers? (Feel free to ignore this part)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »
Comparing Mach 4.5 to supersonic speed is like comparing a worm to an eagle: there is an extremely big difference between the two and you would definitely not dodge a bullet going at Mach 4.5...I don't care how good you think your character is...none of your characters (or even mine) are that good enough...to be perfectly honest.

Okay...changing it from 4 clips of 150 each to 2 clips of 300 each does not fix the problem. If anything, you've made it worst in that your weapon itself will be rather heavy to wield. Not only that, but saying that they're like .50 cal bullets in weight actually makes it even worst as .50 cal bullets weigh even more than a 20mm slug. You actually go up from around 43lbs to almost 70lbs.

Look...we've come a long way with this character and it comes down to this final problem. Can we just make it so that he has 6 clips, each with 75 rounds in them, and call it done? That's roughly 450 slugs that he carries and should be more than enough for everything that he does.

As for your last question: yes, it is possible to make the other two forms into a separate weapon. However, not for this character. If you want to have something like that then put it on a different character. This character is already stacked as it is. Also, if you do want to make it, then I suggest you keep the numbers realistic to what a normal sniper rifle shoots at as well as the type of bullets and damage it would do.
First Year Beacon Student: Rackley Winchester - The Hawkeye Sniper currently Teamless

Second Year Beacon Student: Jett Davenport - The Playful Shadow Knight of Team MLDC (Melodic)

Third Year Beacon Student: Suntalia Lyn Ryker - The Voice of Thunder currently Teamless

Fourth Year Beacon Student: Savas Carnelian - The Quiet Berserker Leader of Team SARK (Stark)

Beacon Professor: Oberon Falcov - The Man With A Plan / Team Strategy Teacher of Beacon

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 07:53:10 PM »
Actually, I said they're somewhat similar to .50 cal in shape. I actually said the slugs basically weigh half as much as you think they do because of their shape - a pointed ellipsoid (I have been thoroughly unable to find the thing's actual name). Therefore, the 600 bullets would weigh about 21 or so pounds altogether.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »
Shape of the slugs won't really change the weight ratio.

Okay...now you're making me do more research on this. After I did some researching to see exactly what you're trying to use (20mm rounds, I take it?) these rounds are basically anti-tank rounds with each weighing around 3.4oz. So, take 600 rounds into account and change ounces to pounds, you're looking at the total weight for 600 rounds to be 131.25lbs....

...You really shouldn't have made me do my research. If this is what you're going for, then you will definitely have to drop the amount. I will DEFINITELY NOT let you have that many rounds. So, either drop the amount of rounds you have, DRASTICALLY, or change it to a smaller round. My suggestion? change it to 28ga shotgun shells and you can keep the 600 rounds.

I'm done debating this issue with you. Make the changes or this character will get locked and you will have to start from scratch.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 08:31:36 PM »
No, JJB. Not 20 mm rounds. 5 mm by 20 mm slugs. The 20 is the ellispoid's length. Bit smaller than the NATO P90 rounds currently in use.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

jjb2158

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »
Good gravy...I swear Nathan...you're going to make me go into a secluded hole and stay there for a week and not moderate anything, you know?

My bad on the miss-read. If those are the rounds you're going for then that's fine with me.

Approved 2 of 2.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
Pre-Edit: ShowHide
CHARACTER

Name: Nathan Nad Eau (a.k.a. Nathan Eau)

Species and Gender: Male human

Symbol: [spoiler]

Appearance: At 176.5 cm/5'9½" (he doesn't mind rounding up or down) and 72.5 kg/160 lbs, Nathan is more lean than fit, and while not actually chiseled, he still has some definition to his muscles. His lower body has more bulk than his upper body, but this is partially offset by his large ribcage and broad shoulders. He thinks of himself as "ridiculously average-looking" or "ever-so-slightly on the attractive side", depending on how far you push that particular investigation (although seriously, why in Remnant would you?). He has more defined neck muscles than the average person. His voice usually hangs about the low to mid-low range. If he's warm and his arms are below his chest, veins are VERY visible all over the hands and forearms. He has a thick (about 3 mm wide, 2 mm high, 3 cm long) scar on his right elbow. He has fine (almost feminine but not quite), agile hands. He is left-handed. He has tanned (perhaps a bit paler than Neptune) skin. He has short (about 4 cm),VERY dark brown (looks basically black) hair. His eyes are dark gold/light and rich brown (depending on how far away you're standing). He usually crosses his arms when standing, but it doesn't mean anything. His face tends to remain relatively emotionless, albeit it's not for lack of trying to be expressive. He walks very fast (pretty much overtakes anyone who isn't jogging) thanks to long strides from good rotation of the pelvis and years of practice.

He has only dark grey running shoes. Normal clothes: His favorite garments are a black, somewhat slim-fit T-shirt going down the arms to just above the elbow with dark lime green lines on the sides and dark blue jeans, although it isn't uncommon for him to simply don "a shirt" and "some jeans". If it's cold/raining, he wears a dark grey coat with a hood. School clothing: standard Beacon uniform apart from a slightly loose tie and the aforementioned running shoes. Formal clothing: a white, ever-so-slightly ivory lounge suit with notched lapel, the overall colour being quite reminescent of a white rose's petals. Usually worn with a vibrant green, vibrant cyan or vibrant purple tie. Pajama: white T-shirt and red and black plaid pajama pants. Combat-ready: dons a dark grey harness worn over his coat/shirt with 1 pouch (horizontal on left-hand side of belt that's about 15.5*10 cm). The harness has fixation points in the middle of the back for his weapon and more fixation points on the sides of the back to snap on extra luggage space.

Goddamn hex codes: ShowHide
Shoes: #969696
Green lines on shirt: #00D219
Tie colours: about #14EA00, about #00F6F0, about #BD00FF

History: Nathan was born and raised in Vale. He spent ages 5-12 going to a school about 1.5 km away from his home. He also spent those years being bullied, rejected or ignored by all other kids. When he was 12, his parents divorced and he stayed with his mother. During the last semester of school that year, he scored very high on an Aura ability test part of the normal orientation process. Having been taught the hard way how not everyone can defend themselves, he decided to put his newfound skills to use by becoming a Huntsman. Not even 3 months later, his mother met an Atlasian scientist who was working in Vale at the time. He subsequently enrolled in a local Combat School, about 4 km from residence. Starting from the first semester, he was taught a lot by his stepfather about Dust, technology and science in general through common interests and regular discussions. Although he didn't get bullied or rejected at school anymore, he didn't really make anything more than acquaintances and circumstantial friendships.

During his time at combat school, he had a few classes of hand-to-hand combat like everyone, but never practiced it outside of said classes, of which there were about 3 or 4 (talking about how many times a lesson was given, not how many classes and, somewhat by extension, teachers). When it came to fighting with weapons, he vastly preferred the versatility of staves to swords, maces and gauntlets. Practicing regularly, he gradually taught himself to mix and match combat styles rather than staying with a single one every battle. Not only did he think it would make him more adaptable, he also thought it would make him harder to contend with. His style, through the years, eventually reached a stable state, where he defends whilst taking advantage of every opening he can, in any way he can. During that entire time, however, he somewhat neglected to practice long-range firearm handling.

When he was about 14, he started experimenting with Dust under strict safety protocols in a small part of his basement (he was shown how by his stepfather). Upon learning the nature of his semblance, he started to create schematics and data for his to-be weapon and the required Dust components. His desire to defend victims and pursue aggressors having only grown stronger during his years at combat school, he was eager to advance his training even further and enter Beacon. He scored pretty good at all parts of the entrance exam. His parents moved to Atlas as he moved to the Academy.

Personality: Relaxed and calm, he likes to make the odd joke and is generally easy-going. He has vast trouble understanding non-aggressive body language and prefers to be as honest as possible without unduly hurting anyone. Although not lacking in self-confidence, he's rather shy and will not go towards others unless they first come to him or he has to go to them. He rarely gets angry or even worked up, as he is incredibly patient. He is a fast learner and a great listener. He has an immense imagination and fabulous memory (for the things he cares about). Messing with the ones he loves with the serious intention of hurting them is not recommended, as he may go into (I don't know how to describe this in a word or two: it's basically as if his emotions turned into a cold, soul-wrenching abyss where the only thing that exists is the will to get what's wrong to stop, all the while keeping a very calm face). He has very good senses (for a human) and tends to dislike loud noises and bright lights, carrying a pair of high-tech, flexible sunglasses in his jeans' pocket (so they don't continually break when he fights). He has a lot of difficulty in putting his full trust into someone else.

He usually enjoys just playing games on his computer, but sometimes reads a bit.

Aura and Semblance: His Aura is of a bright white colour and turns jet black when "angry" (see emotion described above), seemingly absorbing light within line of sight instead of emitting it. His semblance is Energy: that is, he can control his own kinetic energy. To be more clear, he can turn his Aura into kinetic energy, but not at a distance. The energy being inherently associated with momentum, he only uses it for powerful blows, lest he fling himself out of control to go faster.

When 'angry', pale black tendrils (these are entirely unsubstantial, aka Aura) that start appearing around him and become darker, larger, more numerous and more opaque the worse he gets. The air will seem to grow stale. His irises will take on the slightest tinge of red while his pupils contract to a point.

It is worth noting that he has never told anyone what his semblance is and that he tries to use it as little as possible.

Examples for scale: ShowHide
Here are some examples of the uses for scale.
Hits: - Like a speeding truck for 60% of his Aura.
        - Like a speeding car for 40%.
        - Unusually powerful blows for 5% (enough to severely stun most Grimm).

Numbers: These are based on the examples above, if applied to someone with an arbitrarily average build, Aura, etc. NOTE: As long as this very sentence is present, apply a 2x modifier to the cost.
       - 1% --> 4% Aura damage
       - 5% --> 20% Aura damage
       - 8% --> 33% Aura damage (current cap, he's yet to make more powerful blows)
[spoiler=Ignore these for now, for future approved developments only]       - 10% --> 42% Aura damage
       - 15% --> 65% Aura damage
       - 20% --> 90% Aura damage

Anything beyond that will merely do more damage, beyond the now-shattered Aura, with the semi-exponential function still applying. The amount of seconds he must wait before his Aura is usable again is equal to twice the percentage of Aura consumed.

Adapted 'costs' for the new 'strain' mechanic - the cost multiplier is already present.

- 4% Aura damage: Minor fatigue, basically a slight buzzing in the ears for a couple seconds. Can use this a maximum of 49 times, the 50th knocking him out from exhaustion.
       - 20% Aura damage: Feels as though the blood was drained from his head for a second or two; shaky for a few more seconds afterwards, then fatigued. (He can dish out 9 hits like this, the 10th one causing him to collapse from exhaustion)
       - 33% Aura damage (current cap, he's yet to manage more powerful blows): Feels as though the blood drained from his head for about 5 seconds. Shaky for approximately 20 seconds afterwards, then fatigue sets in. (He can dish out 4 hits like this, the 5th one causing him to collapse from exhaustion)[/spoiler]

Combat Behavior: He tends to favor swift, precise and efficient movements when defending and powerful blows when attacking. He mixes hand-to-hand with weapon combat freely. He will favor confrontation if an enemy is actively chasing him but will otherwise prefer stealth. He will try to dodge and block all he can. When first encountering an enemy, he will never attack first - unless he can get a surprise snipe in.

He will prefer to concentrate on one threat at a time and take care of it as fast and as safely as possible, which opens him up to surprise attacks from unsuspected additional threats. When he suspects more than he can see, he will tend to maintain a more defensive posture.

If outnumbered, he will be capable of resisting without using his semblance a small amount of time but will prefer to get some distance between him and the enemy to come back in at a new angle.

Although his weapon would have you think otherwise, Nathan is relatively unskilled at long range sniping, mostly just winging it. He's good - for someone with little to no practice. His largest weakness, however, is very close melee or hand-to-hand combat. He never practiced those, preferring to hone his staff skills as it allows him a greater reach.

WEAPON

Name: Ergia

Primary Form: Ergia's primary form is relatively tame - a matte, black cylinder about a foot long, slightly too large to grasp comfortably with the average hand. Two thin green lines circle it, separating the cylinder into thirds. Nathan's symbol is visible on the back of the uppermost third. When hooked onto its place on the harness, it can serve as a jumppack, providing relatively limited vertical mobility. Used for going up or breaking a fall - when angled correctly. Maximum autonomy of 3 minutes without 'reloading'.

Not now - for approved future development only.: ShowHide
When unhooked, it can serve as a flamethrower, producing an intense, bunsen burner-like flame about 6 meters long, although the heat is still pretty intense for about 3 meters after that.

Secondary Form: Both staff mechanisms extend to their maximum lengths of 75 cm, making the weapon a 180 cm matte black staff with dark lime green lines and a thicker, 30 cm cylinder in the middle. Transformation can take as little as 2 seconds. In this form, parts of the staff portion can either be electrified or the air around them, heated to a point where it can easily cut through organic materials, but will only slowly heat up dense non-organic stuff like concrete, steel, etc.

Tertiary Form: The top/forward staff mechanism extends by 30 centimeters and a handle and variable strength scope flip out of the top section. Fires 5x20 mm tungsten slugs at a rate of 12 per second and speed of Mach 2 (3% damage  per shot against someone with arbitrarily average Aura). Each magazine of these 'light' rounds has about 300 of them. He keeps one mag on his harness and one in Ergia. Transformation takes about 1 second from storage form and 2 seconds from staff form.

Dust Functions: The way Ergia uses Dust can be considered somewhat different from the norm. Although the jumppack uses a mix of Kinetic and Gravity Dust to provide thrust, about a quarter of a litre per 3 minute charge, the rest only uses Dust indirectly. Six power crystals are located at the centre of the main cylinder, providing the entire weapon with vast amounts of power, needed for everything from the jumppack to the staff modifiers. The power crystals must be recharged with power when empty and, even through intense usage, will drain rather slowly, a single one lasting a good 10 minutes or so.

History: Ergia was made, from plans to fully functional, in the last three years prior to his entry at Beacon. The components took about 6 months to get right and the shell and final assembly, 6 more months. It was made to make the most use of his semblance and to be as versatile as possible. It was named Ergia due to having vast amounts of energy at its heart.

Specifics and Schematics: ShowHide
The primary form is a 30 cm long, 6.8 cm diameter matte black cylinder with 2 dark lime green lines on the wall 10 cm from the bases. The bottom opens up when engaging the jetpack. The central section is dedicated to housing the power cores and control mechanisms, the upper section is devoted to the first staff mechanism while the bottom part is reserved to the jetpack and second staff mechanisms. The staff portions have an external diameter of 3 cm. The jumppack is a tiny thing that occupies a third of the main cylinder, consuming Dust to provide thrust. The second form's extra functions are achieved by using small Dust crystals integrated within Ergia in conjunction with the main power. Most of the circuitry has Dust in it to make it as compact as possible. The power cores mentioned earlier are custom-made Dust crystals created to store enormous amounts of energy each. They glow a soft, pleasant cerulean when full and are a dark, dull blue when empty. They are 9 cm long and 2 cm wide at their widest. There are 6 of them at all times in the center section of the cylinder. Nathan stores an extra 6 in his belt-level pouch. The jumppack mechanism uses a special blend of Dust that greatly increases the thrust produced and comsumption efficiency when used in conjunction with the energy from the power cores.

[spoiler=Power crystal schematic]
[/spoiler]
Only for approved future developments: ShowHide
Basically, the LR Crystal as last approved.

=======================================

Pre-Beacon theme: Mad World - Gary Jules & Micheal Andrews[/spoiler]
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
Added to the end of the Semblance section:
In addition, his semblance can be used to propel objects towards targets. The accuracy of this 'throw' of sorts is proportional to the amount of energy used and inversely proportional to the object's size. As a landmark, using around 16% on one of the slugs he uses within his weapon gets him an initial accuracy slightly worse than an assault rifle, making it a good choice at the lower mid-range and closer.

Here, 'initial accuracy' refers to the accuracy of the object's motion towards the intended target. Factors that come into play after the propulsion, such as gravity, wind, object aerodynamics and such are not included (unless he explicitly takes them into account, if possible).

Added to Appearance:
He has only dark grey running shoes. Normal clothes: His favorite garments are a black, somewhat slim-fit T-shirt going down the arms to just above the elbow with dark lime green lines on the sides and dark blue jeans, although it isn't uncommon for him to simply don "a shirt" and "some jeans". If it's cold/raining, he wears a dark grey coat with a hood. School clothing: standard Beacon uniform apart from a slightly loose tie and the aforementioned running shoes. Formal clothing: a white, ever-so-slightly ivory lounge suit with notched lapel, the overall colour being quite reminescent of a white rose's petals. Usually worn with a vibrant green, vibrant cyan or vibrant purple tie. Pajama: white T-shirt and red and black plaid pajama pants. Combat-ready: dons a dark grey harness worn over his coat/shirt with 1 pouch (horizontal on left-hand side of belt that's about 15.5*10 cm). The harness has fixation points in the middle of the back for his weapon and more fixation points on the sides of the back to snap on extra luggage space. After some recent events, he also keeps three slugs in his jeans' left front pocket.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:39:01 AM by nathan67003 »
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
All good, moving back.

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
pre-edit: ShowHide

CHARACTER

Name: Nathan Nad Eau (a.k.a. Nathan Eau)

Species and Gender: Male human

Symbol: [spoiler]

Appearance: At 176.5 cm/5'9½" (he doesn't mind rounding up or down) and 72.5 kg/160 lbs, Nathan is more lean than fit, and while not actually chiseled, he still has some definition to his muscles. His lower body has more bulk than his upper body, but this is partially offset by his large ribcage and broad shoulders. He thinks of himself as "ridiculously average-looking" or "ever-so-slightly on the attractive side", depending on how far you push that particular investigation (although seriously, why in Remnant would you?). He has more defined neck muscles than the average person. His voice usually hangs about the low to mid-low range. If he's warm and his arms are below his chest, veins are VERY visible all over the hands and forearms. He has a thick (about 3 mm wide, 2 mm high, 3 cm long) scar on his right elbow. He has fine (almost feminine but not quite), agile hands. He is left-handed. He has tanned (perhaps a bit paler than Neptune) skin. He has short (about 4 cm),VERY dark brown (looks basically black) hair. His eyes are dark gold/light and rich brown (depending on how far away you're standing). He usually crosses his arms when standing, but it doesn't mean anything. His face tends to remain relatively emotionless, albeit it's not for lack of trying to be expressive. He walks very fast (pretty much overtakes anyone who isn't jogging) thanks to long strides from good rotation of the pelvis and years of practice.

He has only dark grey running shoes. Normal clothes: His favorite garments are a black, somewhat slim-fit T-shirt going down the arms to just above the elbow with dark lime green lines on the sides and dark blue jeans, although it isn't uncommon for him to simply don "a shirt" and "some jeans". If it's cold/raining, he wears a dark grey coat with a hood. School clothing: standard Beacon uniform apart from a slightly loose tie and the aforementioned running shoes. Formal clothing: a white, ever-so-slightly ivory lounge suit with notched lapel, the overall colour being quite reminescent of a white rose's petals. Usually worn with a vibrant green, vibrant cyan or vibrant purple tie. Pajama: white T-shirt and red and black plaid pajama pants. Combat-ready: dons a dark grey harness worn over his coat/shirt with 1 pouch (horizontal on left-hand side of belt that's about 15.5*10 cm). The harness has fixation points in the middle of the back for his weapon and more fixation points on the sides of the back to snap on extra luggage space. After some recent events, he also keeps three slugs in his jeans' left front pocket.

Goddamn hex codes: ShowHide
Shoes: #969696
Green lines on shirt: #00D219
Tie colours: about #14EA00, about #00F6F0, about #BD00FF

History: Nathan was born and raised in Vale. He spent ages 5-12 going to a school about 1.5 km away from his home. He also spent those years being bullied, rejected or ignored by all other kids. When he was 12, his parents divorced and he stayed with his mother. During the last semester of school that year, he scored very high on an Aura ability test part of the normal orientation process. Having been taught the hard way how not everyone can defend themselves, he decided to put his newfound skills to use by becoming a Huntsman. Not even 3 months later, his mother met an Atlasian scientist who was working in Vale at the time. He subsequently enrolled in a local Combat School, about 4 km from residence. Starting from the first semester, he was taught a lot by his stepfather about Dust, technology and science in general through common interests and regular discussions. Although he didn't get bullied or rejected at school anymore, he didn't really make anything more than acquaintances and circumstantial friendships.

During his time at combat school, he had a few classes of hand-to-hand combat like everyone, but never practiced it outside of said classes, of which there were about 3 or 4 (talking about how many times a lesson was given, not how many classes and, somewhat by extension, teachers). When it came to fighting with weapons, he vastly preferred the versatility of staves to swords, maces and gauntlets. Practicing regularly, he gradually taught himself to mix and match combat styles rather than staying with a single one every battle. Not only did he think it would make him more adaptable, he also thought it would make him harder to contend with. His style, through the years, eventually reached a stable state, where he defends whilst taking advantage of every opening he can, in any way he can. During that entire time, however, he somewhat neglected to practice long-range firearm handling.

When he was about 14, he started experimenting with Dust under strict safety protocols in a small part of his basement (he was shown how by his stepfather). Upon learning the nature of his semblance, he started to create schematics and data for his to-be weapon and the required Dust components. His desire to defend victims and pursue aggressors having only grown stronger during his years at combat school, he was eager to advance his training even further and enter Beacon. He scored pretty good at all parts of the entrance exam. His parents moved to Atlas as he moved to the Academy.

Personality: Relaxed and calm, he likes to make the odd joke and is generally easy-going. He has vast trouble understanding non-aggressive body language and prefers to be as honest as possible without unduly hurting anyone. Although not lacking in self-confidence, he's rather shy and will not go towards others unless they first come to him or he has to go to them. He rarely gets angry or even worked up, as he is incredibly patient. He is a fast learner and a great listener. He has an immense imagination and fabulous memory (for the things he cares about). Messing with the ones he loves with the serious intention of hurting them is not recommended, as he may go into (I don't know how to describe this in a word or two: it's basically as if his emotions turned into a cold, soul-wrenching abyss where the only thing that exists is the will to get what's wrong to stop, all the while keeping a very calm face). He has very good senses (for a human) and tends to dislike loud noises and bright lights, carrying a pair of high-tech, flexible sunglasses in his jeans' pocket (so they don't continually break when he fights). He has a lot of difficulty in putting his full trust into someone else.

He usually enjoys just playing games on his computer, but sometimes reads a bit.

Aura and Semblance: His Aura is of a bright white colour and turns jet black when "angry" (see emotion described above), seemingly absorbing light within line of sight instead of emitting it. His semblance is Energy: that is, he can control his own kinetic energy. To be more clear, he can turn his Aura into kinetic energy, but not at a distance. The energy being inherently associated with momentum, he only uses it for powerful blows, lest he fling himself out of control to go faster.

When 'angry', pale black tendrils (these are entirely unsubstantial, aka Aura) that start appearing around him and become darker, larger, more numerous and more opaque the worse he gets. The air will seem to grow stale. His irises will take on the slightest tinge of red while his pupils contract to a point.

It is worth noting that he has never told anyone what his semblance is and that he tries to use it as little as possible.

Examples for scale: ShowHide
Here are some examples of the uses for scale.
Hits: - Like a speeding truck for 60% of his Aura.
        - Like a speeding car for 40%.
        - Unusually powerful blows for 5% (enough to severely stun most Grimm).

Numbers: These are based on the examples above, if applied to someone with an arbitrarily average build, Aura, etc. NOTE: As long as this very sentence is present, apply a 2x modifier to the cost.
       - 1% --> 4% Aura damage
       - 5% --> 20% Aura damage
       - 8% --> 33% Aura damage (current cap, he's yet to make more powerful blows)
[spoiler=Ignore these for now, for future approved developments only]       - 10% --> 42% Aura damage
       - 15% --> 65% Aura damage
       - 20% --> 90% Aura damage

Anything beyond that will merely do more damage, beyond the now-shattered Aura, with the semi-exponential function still applying. The amount of seconds he must wait before his Aura is usable again is equal to twice the percentage of Aura consumed.

Adapted 'costs' for the new 'strain' mechanic - the cost multiplier is already present.

- 4% Aura damage: Minor fatigue, basically a slight buzzing in the ears for a couple seconds. Can use this a maximum of 49 times, the 50th knocking him out from exhaustion.
       - 20% Aura damage: Feels as though the blood was drained from his head for a second or two; shaky for a few more seconds afterwards, then fatigued. (He can dish out 9 hits like this, the 10th one causing him to collapse from exhaustion)
       - 33% Aura damage (current cap, he's yet to manage more powerful blows): Feels as though the blood drained from his head for about 5 seconds. Shaky for approximately 20 seconds afterwards, then fatigue sets in. (He can dish out 4 hits like this, the 5th one causing him to collapse from exhaustion)[/spoiler]

In addition, his semblance can be used to propel objects towards targets. The accuracy of this 'throw' of sorts is proportional to the amount of energy used and inversely proportional to the object's size. As a landmark, using around 16% on one of the slugs he uses within his weapon gets him an initial accuracy slightly worse than an assault rifle, making it a good choice at the lower mid-range and closer.

Here, 'initial accuracy' refers to the accuracy of the object's motion towards the intended target. Factors that come into play after the propulsion, such as gravity, wind, object aerodynamics and such are not included (unless he explicitly takes them into account, if possible).

Combat Behavior: He tends to favor swift, precise and efficient movements when defending and powerful blows when attacking. He mixes hand-to-hand with weapon combat freely. He will favor confrontation if an enemy is actively chasing him but will otherwise prefer stealth. He will try to dodge and block all he can. When first encountering an enemy, he will never attack first - unless he can get a surprise snipe in.

He will prefer to concentrate on one threat at a time and take care of it as fast and as safely as possible, which opens him up to surprise attacks from unsuspected additional threats. When he suspects more than he can see, he will tend to maintain a more defensive posture.

If outnumbered, he will be capable of resisting without using his semblance a small amount of time but will prefer to get some distance between him and the enemy to come back in at a new angle.

Although his weapon would have you think otherwise, Nathan is relatively unskilled at long range sniping, mostly just winging it. He's good - for someone with little to no practice. His largest weakness, however, is very close melee or hand-to-hand combat. He never practiced those, preferring to hone his staff skills as it allows him a greater reach.

WEAPON

Name: Ergia

Primary Form: Ergia's primary form is relatively tame - a matte, black cylinder about a foot long, slightly too large to grasp comfortably with the average hand. Two thin green lines circle it, separating the cylinder into thirds. Nathan's symbol is visible on the back of the uppermost third. When hooked onto its place on the harness, it can serve as a jumppack, providing relatively limited vertical mobility. Used for going up or breaking a fall - when angled correctly. Maximum autonomy of 3 minutes without 'reloading'.

Not now - for approved future development only.: ShowHide
When unhooked, it can serve as a flamethrower, producing an intense, bunsen burner-like flame about 6 meters long, although the heat is still pretty intense for about 3 meters after that.

Secondary Form: Both staff mechanisms extend to their maximum lengths of 75 cm, making the weapon a 180 cm matte black staff with dark lime green lines and a thicker, 30 cm cylinder in the middle. Transformation can take as little as 2 seconds. In this form, parts of the staff portion can either be electrified or the air around them, heated to a point where it can easily cut through organic materials, but will only slowly heat up dense non-organic stuff like concrete, steel, etc.

Tertiary Form: The top/forward staff mechanism extends by 30 centimeters and a handle and variable strength scope flip out of the top section. Fires 5x20 mm tungsten slugs at a rate of 12 per second and speed of Mach 2 (3% damage  per shot against someone with arbitrarily average Aura). Each magazine of these 'light' rounds has about 300 of them. He keeps one mag on his harness and one in Ergia. Transformation takes about 1 second from storage form and 2 seconds from staff form.

Dust Functions: The way Ergia uses Dust can be considered somewhat different from the norm. Although the jumppack uses a mix of Kinetic and Gravity Dust to provide thrust, about a quarter of a litre per 3 minute charge, the rest only uses Dust indirectly. Six power crystals are located at the centre of the main cylinder, providing the entire weapon with vast amounts of power, needed for everything from the jumppack to the staff modifiers. The power crystals must be recharged with power when empty and, even through intense usage, will drain rather slowly, a single one lasting a good 10 minutes or so.

History: Ergia was made, from plans to fully functional, in the last three years prior to his entry at Beacon. The components took about 6 months to get right and the shell and final assembly, 6 more months. It was made to make the most use of his semblance and to be as versatile as possible. It was named Ergia due to having vast amounts of energy at its heart.

Specifics and Schematics: ShowHide
The primary form is a 30 cm long, 6.8 cm diameter matte black cylinder with 2 dark lime green lines on the wall 10 cm from the bases. The bottom opens up when engaging the jetpack. The central section is dedicated to housing the power cores and control mechanisms, the upper section is devoted to the first staff mechanism while the bottom part is reserved to the jetpack and second staff mechanisms. The staff portions have an external diameter of 3 cm. The jumppack is a tiny thing that occupies a third of the main cylinder, consuming Dust to provide thrust. The second form's extra functions are achieved by using small Dust crystals integrated within Ergia in conjunction with the main power. Most of the circuitry has Dust in it to make it as compact as possible. The power cores mentioned earlier are custom-made Dust crystals created to store enormous amounts of energy each. They glow a soft, pleasant cerulean when full and are a dark, dull blue when empty. They are 9 cm long and 2 cm wide at their widest. There are 6 of them at all times in the center section of the cylinder. Nathan stores an extra 6 in his belt-level pouch. The jumppack mechanism uses a special blend of Dust that greatly increases the thrust produced and comsumption efficiency when used in conjunction with the energy from the power cores.

[spoiler=Power crystal schematic]
[/spoiler]
Only for approved future developments: ShowHide
Basically, the LR Crystal as last approved.

=======================================

Pre-Beacon theme: Mad World - Gary Jules & Micheal Andrews
[/spoiler]

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
Did the thing.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
E
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization