Author Topic: Introduction to Advanced Aura [Closed]  (Read 6012 times)

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Introduction to Advanced Aura [Closed]
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
Malina sat behind the large oak desk that say at the base of the classroom, it's back to an old school chalkboard and facing row after row of increasingly raised seats that were slowly being filled by the students coming in for the class. A few of them gave her a side long glance as their found their seats and for once it wasn't because she had a weird metal tail attached to her. No, she'd left Manticore in her dorm, coiled beneath a bed that needed desperate making, they were probably expecting to see Sophos only to be caught off guard when someone far younger and far less Sophos sat in his chair.

It was the first time she'd really been behind the desk as a teacher's assistant. Sure, she had assistanted with Tania but that had all been on the field combat, not in a classroom. It was weird, being on the other side and, now that she thought about it, it was weird all around. The students were arranged to always be above the teacher, which would make sense of there were a hundred or so students but there were only four rows and most of the seats weren't even filled most of the time. She didn't like it. It felt less like she was looking up at her students are far more like they were looking down on her. It was bullshit, they were only kids, if anything she should be the one on top, then looking up at her. That's where everything belonged.

Deep breath. Push the thoughts out of your mind. She couldn't be distracted by her own shit, especially given the topic of conversation today. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Malina nodded as the last students filtered into the room and checked the student list laid out in front of her. With an internal sigh, she stood up from her seat and faced the class.

"Hello class," she started in a solid tone, making her to scan her eyes along the rows of students, "I know most of you who've been in an aura studies class before were probably expecting Professor Sophos but unfortunately he is a bit predisposed with a research mission. I was supposed to start my semester as a TA under him today but clearly plans don't always go according to plan."She moved around go the front of the desk and leaned back against it, using her arms to support as she looked up at the students."I'll just put it out there right now, I don't have any of the curriculum info so I can't really start the actual class so today, after I run through attendance, is gonna more of a..." Malina rubbed on finger against her mouth in thought, "Experimental class? We'll get there."

With that out of the way, she reached back for the list of names that had sat on the desk when she'd arrived. Did she know some of the students from combat classes or from seeing them around school? Sure. Most? Ehhhhhh. Did she know their names? Ehhhhhhhhhh. She ran down the list, checking off people who were here and nodding to the very few she both recognized and knew their names, but paused after checking off on Amane Petrichor. She recognized the name from replays of the tournament but she didn't remember her looking that. Or what she looked like at all. Whatever.

Malina set down the paper down behind her and looked over the class. "Okay, easy starter, what's aura and what's a semblance?"

(No strict posting order, it will be mostly call and response. Malina asks a question one person responds, Malina responds to that, etc. If one person responded and your character still has something to say you can post if it's before Malina responded.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:00:50 PM by Dr. Gustave »
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction to Advanced Aura [Closed]
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Prism Skylark prided herself on being the perfect student, down to a T. Even if the usually-exhausted hummingbird was running on fumes, she'd rather have her feathers plucked than tarnish her academic reputation - so the moment the classroom door opened, the hummingbird faunus was the first through the doors, taking a seat at the very first row of classes and directly in front of Dr. Sophos' desk. She'd always enjoyed the class, especially since Dr. Sophos was one of the few faunus teachers in the school, so when she'd turned to see a... substitute? In his place, she'd immediately deflated a little.

She'd need another energy drink to get through this one.

She'd pulled it out of her bag quietly before class started, cracking the seal open as the bell rung in order to conceal the sound. Listening to the substitute's introduction made a little more sense of her presence, especially if she was acting as a TA, but the lack of proper curriculum was enough to make her frown. An experimental lesson in it's place, really now?

At the very least, she could try to make the best of things.

Prism's hand is up barely after Malina finishes the question, answering without a chance to be called on. "Aura is manifestation of a living soul, available to humans and faunus alike.  A semblance is the tangible manifestation of a person's aura and soul, providing individuals with a power that's usually unique to purely them, though there are rare cases of hereditary semblances. A person's ability to access their semblance is generally reliant on the presence of their aura, and both are capable of growing or strengthening over time." She automatically parrots, taking a quiet sip of the drink.
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Chantou Rou - Beacon First Year, Insect-Eyed Rebel of Team LGGR (Lager) #ff82a4

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
Malina bobbed her head side to side slightly and rocked her hand in the air a bit. "Ehh, partial credit. You're mostly right," she started, "but plants and animals have aura as well. Whether or not animals can have their unlocked is sort of up to debate, there's rumors here and there but I'm personally not convinced. Plants on the other hands, I've never heard anyone claim that it can be u locked but our good professor Sophos is evidence enough that plants have their own aura. But a good answer nonetheless."

She leaned forward slightly, making sure to look at Prism before letting her eyes scan the rest of the class. "So, what would you describe as the limits of a person's aura? How far could they push it?" And after a slight pause, "And how would you more specifically describe what a semblance is?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Malina's next question makes Prism think for a moment, trying to contextualize her first question. ...Are you referring to the practical application of one's aura, outside of a passive defense? Like, people are capable of reducing incoming damage, or enhancing strikes, and detecting Grimm - and those are usually more or less developed around an individual's preferred fighting style, alongside the practicalities of hunting. The limit's of a person's aura though... well, they all depend on how far a person is willing to push themselves, really. Is that what you were thinking of, Ms..." Prism pauses for a moment, trying to remember her name. "...you haven't actually introduced yourself yet, ma'am."

Following another momentary beat of silence, Prism immediately launches into another tirade to answer Malina's second question, if a bit more slower and hesitant this time around. "...it's speculated that a semblance is directly correlated with the person it belongs to. It can represent one of the most prominent aspects of a person, a trait that they lack and need to resolve, or simply serve as a representation of a person's greatest desire." She finishes simply.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:16:48 PM by Moth »
Prism Skylark - Beacon First Year, Winged Sharpshooter and Leader of Team CASA (Casanova) #ffffff

Albrecht Clodwal - Beacon First Year, White Knight Nice-Guy of Team CNRS (Cinerous) #00a4a4

Azre and Erza Sundown- Shade First Years, Fallen Stars of Team RASB (Raspberry) #fe2d00, #feab00

Jima Purpora - Beacon Third Year, Grimm-Obsessed Scholar of Team PLSM (Plasma) #6e3aa8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:33:20 AM by . »

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
Malina opened her mouth to give her introduction but Prism had already gone onto the second question.

"Right.." She said, half distracted, as she turned her head slightly to get a view of the chalkboard. Nope. Didn't write it there. "Malina Nahualli, Ms. Nahualli or just Malina, I don't really care." she introduced herself as she turned back around to face the students. "Beacon graduate, leader in of Team Mocha while I was here, et cetera, et cetera..." She began to trail off before snapping back to the point of the conversation.

"But you're right, our semblances are most commonly thought of as reflections of us. It's not an uncommon tactic in negotiating a price with a Hunter to base their personality on their semblance, though I'd personally give that a fifty-fifty success rate. There are different circumstances under which a semblance unlocks, many times it happens during times of high stress when someone need an 'out', other times it unlocks seemingly at random. Many hunters with passive semblances talk about how it unlocked before they had even awakened their aura, when they were still very young."

Malina lifted herself up off of the desk and made her way back toward the chalk board. "And while all semblances tend to help us accomplish our goals, like hunting Grimm, those with passive semblances tend to say that they hurt almost as much as they help." She spoke as she sketched out the outline of a person. "There are plenty of theories about passive semblances and hereditary semblances and how they tie into what we know about but unfortunately.." She turned back to the class now with a, very, rough outline of a person with the inside with light sketches. ".. That isn't what we're learning. Imagine that this horribly drawn little man," she gestured to the outline behind  her, "is you and that sketchy shit is your aura. Like all hunters, we keep up a layer of aura on our bodies to protect us from harm..." She added some sketches on the outside of the person and erased some on the inside. "... We can increase our attacks..." Malina added a bit more shading around the hands and erased a bit more of the inside. "we can detect others around us...[/color]" She dotted the surrounded chalkboard and erased the last bit of aura from within the person. "... Or plenty of other things but for the sake of time, I'll stick with those. As you can see, you're out of aura."

"I don't think I'll be shocking anyone by saying this is a pretty common problem, you only have so much aura and it takes a long time to get even a little more. But aura is a manifestation of our souls, it is, for all intents and purposes, us. Anyone wanna bite the bullet and try to describe what a soul is and maybe guess where I'm going with this?"

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:31:16 AM by . »

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
Malina nodded slowly, "Vague but about as specific as we can really get so I'll give you that one. Anyone have any ideas on where I'm going with all this?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:48 PM »
Prism tilts her head thoughtfully, taking another sip of the caffeinated drink before setting it on the desk in front of her. "Well, you said this was an experimental lesson, isn't it? My best bet is you're going to introduce us into something about the makeup of the soul, or exactly how aura and semblance grow and change in response to personality? Something along those lines."

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
Malina didn't say anything as she gave a curt nod to Prism and turned back to the chalkboard and erased the sketched out aura. She paused for a moment before filling the outline back up with aura. "Aura, semblance, soul, they can all sort of be broken down into body, mind, and... Well, soul." She began as she turned around back toward the class. "Your aura comes from within, it's the manifestation of the soul, yes, but it also protects you from harm. Your semblance is theorized to be based on your personality, your mind. Your soul is the collection of everything about you. Following through with that analogy, if your aura is your body, the soul it manifests from is the muscle, the parts of you that make up your soul are the muscle fibers." A few uneasy looks from the handful of students who had an idea where she was going with this.

"You may have heard of stories of people who master their aura, stories about how they can do incredible things and have a seemingly endless supply to pull from. There are many paths to mastering your own aura but the one that I am personally taking part in, and the one I find the most common, is one that involves temporarily breaking parts of your soul so that it can then heal and grow stronger."

"The process is painful, long, and by no means something that everyone can do. This information isn't easy to find and, like I said at the start, this isn't part of the normal curriculum. There're good reasons for both but I will explain just why at the end of the lesson. Any questions before we start?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
There's a whump from the front row as Prism throws a blank notebook onto the desk in front of her, popping the cap off a pen with her teeth before writing Off-Curriculum Lesson 1: Experimental Aura Techniques on the top. As Malina finishes her explanation of what the class is doing, Prism's already started talking before her hand is in the air. "Ms. Nauhalli, what're the sources of this information? I haven't really... seen it described in conventional textbooks, as you said, so where would be the best places to go if you're curious about learning more? Furthermore, this question feels a bit silly, but- if you're temporarily breaking your own soul in order to have it grow back and become stronger, is there a fatality rate of sorts for that method? Because honestly, that sounds incredibly dangerous. "

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 08:09:24 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:26:16 AM by . »

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
Malina thought of Dhi, how much he would probably hate her for talking to openly to young students like she was, how much the two of them differed when it came to sharing information. "I learned under Professor Dhi Neelabardi. He's the head of aura studies and application at Shade Academy and the only real aura master I've ever met. I started training between my third and fourth year at Beacon and studied directly under her after my graduation."

Malina paused and crossed her arms, considering how to word what came next as she looked across the room to Prism. "There's... Yes." She began after a moment, "Its part of the reason the information, while technically public, isn't generally taught in schools or talked about I'll go more into the dangers at the end but it's mostly that and the fact that if the wrong person with the wrong semblance had this knowledge and was able to successfully master their aura, we would all be worse off for it. Any other questions?"

Moth

• Personal Text
    *moth noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
Professor Dhi Neelabardi - Shade Academy. Head of Aura Studies and Application.

The words were the first line of text Prism scribbled atop the page of her notebook, making a mental note to track down their email. If they're the only real aura master that Malina ever met, they could be useful point of reference in case Prism needs to ask more questions. The fact that the TA is actually teaching an entry-level hunter's class some secrets about aura training that wasn't public knowledge did make her pause and wonder for a moment. She stares at the teacher, before scribbling something on the bottom of the notebook and slightly sliding it towards Amane, under the guise of sharing notes.  Think you could find out about Malina Nauhalli's credentials?

Prism's eyes don't move off the TA as she slightly tilts the notebook towards Amane, giving a small hum as she considers any other questions. "I suppose we'll find this out once we begin, but- is there a way we can get a live demonstration?'

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
Malina turned her back toward the desk and scanned it over. Nothing to use there. "Uh, yeah," she began, half distracted as she went around the desk and reached into the drawers, eventually finding a small trashcan under the desk with an old discarded can and placing it on the desk. "I'll be using this to demonstrate a part further along." She said as she patted the top of the can.

"In the meantime, I'll start from the beginning. This process is very heavily based in meditation and focusing attention inward, both toward your own self and your aura. As far as I'm aware the process originated from southern Anima many, many years ago. In Mistral's history, there was at least one self-proclaimed "God-emperor" near the founding of the kingdom that is speculated to have been an aura master. Tales from different settlements dotting the southern region point to the actual process existing well before the founding of any kingdom though." Her eyes scanned the room, most were paying attention, a few were even taking notes. This felt... Nice? Nice.

"To get into the actual process, it all starts with meditation. Now, any type of mediation will do fine as long as you turn your attention inward with minimal outward distraction, I personally use a shower to clear my thoughts. Once you're in whatever meditative state you want to be in, you have to turn your complete and entire focus inward, on yourself." Malina paused for a moment and ran her finger along the rim of the can. "There won't be any immediate gratification. There won't be any gratification for weeks, maybe even months. This is anything but a quick process. You'll feel stupid for akng time, feel like you're not accomplishing anything. Banish those thoughts." Malina echoed her professor. "They're only there to dissuade you. After a while you might begin to notice something. A small, indescribable, shapeless mage in your mind's eye, something unique to everyone, just like our semblances. You can't do anything with it yet but you must turn all attention on it, observe it, watch it grow. Eventually, you'll be able to see parts of it that, for all intents and purposes, parts of you. Memories, emotions, little habits. They all gather together to form this shapeless form."

"That shapeless, indescribable thing is our soul, or at the very least it's the closest we can get to it.  After observing it for a suffiencent amount of time, we can begin to break it, to be blunt. You have to focus in on it and, as hard as you can, imagine a part of it being destroyed, a part of your life being gone forever. It doesn't matter what part you imagine, no one has any control over what gets taken. Comfort, forgiveness, happiness," Malina hesitated for a split second, "pride. Whatever gets taken is always something we enjoy. You can love yourself and it'll take your ability to love or you can love to hate and it'll take your ability to hate. That part of you gets broken down, shredded, and cast away and in the empty space it leaves in your shapeless image? Aura. Just like building muscle, this doesn't completely remove whatever part of you gets damaged, the aura that takes its place, the temporary aura, lasts about eight hours before it fades away. Once it fades away, or gets broken away, that part of you returns."

"Truth be told, you won't really notice any negative effects for a long time. Like I said, it's a long and painful process. You start small, you'll only be able to focus long enough to take away little chips here and there and replace them with meager aura but eventually, after years of practice and study, you'll be able to temporarily remove an entire part of you and double your defensive aura. I can currently give myself some here between a twenty-five and thirty percent boost in aura on a given day, the numbers get fuzzier as they get higher." Malina paused once more and took her finger off the can. "Like I said, I started between my third and fourth year at Beacon, four years ago. Most people who go through the process and take it seriously should be able to double their aura by now but I'm only meditating for five minutes a day due to... Ehh.. Work. That coupled with certain warnings I'll give at the end, it'll be a while before I can double my aura." Malina paused again, this time letting room for any questions.