Author Topic: A Lunch Side Chat [DGTL]  (Read 4377 times)

Vision

• Personal Text
    The Unofficial Official Keeper of Statistics
    • View Profile
A Lunch Side Chat [DGTL]
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »
Typically the student sparring matches at Beacon are run as one vs one, sometimes with the option to tag in other teammates. The one on one format is done as it's easier to instruct two combatants over eight and it takes less space so they're run indoors. However for the huntsmen and huntresses in training it is essential to practice team coordination, so there are occasional four on four matches held outdoors. After one such event several of the first year students at Beacon could be seen in the grounds slowly making their way back to indoors for lunch. 

One of the first to arrive in the hall was Diana. Duels between student always made her uncomfortable so she had left as soon as their fight was over, whilst most everyone else stayed to watch the other teams fight. That uncomfort was still nothing to the uncertainty she felt about being made a leader for their team, although they hadn't known each other long having seen them all in action she couldn’t shake the feeling that anyone of them would have been a better choice.

Walking with a slight limp she examined the food laid out on the buffet, piles of bacon, toast, doughnuts, even whole cream pies. However not one with much appetite she simply grabbed an apple and headed over to a table, figuring the others would join her when they got in.

The fight against team Brandy (BRND) had been rough. It started off well enough, the others were all kicking ass. But she struggled with the balance of fighting like she was used to and acting like a leader, this uncertainty had left her too distracted to notice that Nyx girl pop out of nowhere, it earned her a sprained ankle and it may have been a lot worse had Janna not saved her.

Sitting cross-legged in her chair and absentmindedly rubbing her sore ankle she stopped the play-by-play of the fight in her mind and looked around the hall to see if any of the others had made it in yet.

Diana Levone - Beacon First year - Leader and Medic of team Digital (DGTL)
[color= #839CA5]""[/ color]
Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)
[color= #F2B233]""[/ color]

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    (´・ω・`) | I feel down the stairs and ravioli on me
    • View Profile
Re: A Lunch Side Chat [DGTL]
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 06:35:13 AM »
It's quite some while before Janna lumbers into the dining hall - she had to take off all of her armor, after all, leaving her in a grey cropped tank top, matching short-shorts and open-toe sandals. She enjoyed letting her skin breathe after being in her usual metal and leather suit.

The lady tank grabbed herself a tall glass of orange juice, a full plate of bacon and eggs, toast, a slice of pie and a side of a hefty salad. Janna burned through a lot of calories on a daily basis - she had to if she were to handle all of her heavy equipment.

The woman finally wandered over to where she could spot Diana, taking seat opposite of her. "Yo, Diana. Good work out there today," she said, inhaling the wondrous smell of F O O D before turning to her teammate again. "Sorry about not taking that Nyx chick out sooner, Dee. Is your ankle alright?"
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Anza Burgundy - 1st Year archer of team CRSA. "War eagle, feller!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »
Brock leisurely stepped into the dining hall, his hulking carcass' footsteps resounding through the dense clamor of hundreds of starving teenagers. He, himself, needed to replenish his fuel reserves after going ham on his opponents.

Without wasting much time, he gathered the minimum - a bowl of cereal (with 1% milk, as usual) huge enough to be a large salad bowl, an entire pitcher of orange juice, exactly half a dozen jumbo chocolate muffins, a bunch of freshly buttered, warm ciabatta toasts and finally, a pile of mashed potatoes and carrots. His stomach complaining about the possible lack of food, he set off towards the tables, zoning in on his team once he spotted two of the girls. Janna was still easier to spot, sadly.

Almost lurching to a stop, he set himself down besides Janna, making sure to give himself enough room to not impede her with his monolithic stature. The bench, as sturdy as it was, dipped noticeably beneath his mass, Janna experiencing a slight altitude increase as a result. He then proceeded to comment on his own performance, having briefly garnered some info before sitting down. "I should'a been more astute, too. Was too busy laying waste to the ones in front o' me, though.", he said before taking a spoonful of milky cereal.

With a soup spoon.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

smashingBrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:45:35 AM »
Zaffre finally entered the dining hall – she’d taken some time after everything had ended to check over several notes - plotting out room for improvement, new ideas, and where things went wrong. She’d also taken notes on some of the other bouts after theirs had finished, just in case.

Zaffre was too focused on the results to realize how hungry she was. She spotted her team – Brock’s mountain of food was a dead giveaway – and made her way to sit down with them. She pulled out a notebook from her pocket and leafed through it. ”Sorry about what happened back there, Diana. I should have been keeping better track of where their team was, shouldn’t have let her get so close unimpeded. Next time we can do better.”

Zaffre offers the notebook to Diana. It shows a few well-annotated formations and movements, along with cost-benefit analysis of each set-up. ”I’ve got a few ideas on what we might be able to do better in the future, a few strategies that might serve us better against foes who can get in close like that. I’ll admit I can’t do much if one gets close to me, but if I’d been closer I could’ve covered you properly, and the reverse could also be true – let me know what you think!” She explained, shifting from her serious demeanor to a sunnier one as she ended her sentence – and as the piles of food in front of her forced her to confront her mounting hunger.

”I’ll be… right back.” She says, quickly getting up and throwing a sandwich made up of lettuce, tomato, and what Zaffre was pretty sure was sliced turkey together before returning..
Zaffre Latya - First Year Beacon - Telepathic Relay of Team DGTL

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
Spotting the first of her team approaching Diana gave a tiny wave just to make sure she spotted her "Thanks, Janna. You did really well out there today". Her hand had been absentmindedly rubbing her sore ankle but she stopped as soon as it was brought up "Honestly its nothing, you got there just in time. The greater harm was to my ego, pretty pathetic to drop aura to the first surprise attack."The fact that Janna would frequently protect her and even had a nickname for her meant that Diana already felt fairly familiar with her, however she was worried that she had just overshared her feelings so she looked up around for something to change topics too. "Oh, I'm so sorry for not helping with your armor, I just kinda zoned out after the match"

As they had been talking they were joined by Brock "No, you were doing exactly what you should be. Maintaining the front line by 'laying waste' is equally important." and quickly thereafter Zaffre "I really do appreciate it, but I'm fine. Besides, I believe It's the leader's job to keep track of this stuff, and we had no way to know how her semblance worked anyways." As Zaffres notebook was handed to her Diana started to look through the pages, it seemed like it could be an invaluable resource. "This is amazing thank you! Strategy hasn't really been my strong suit but I'll do my best to improve". She glanced through a few more pages, when she looked up again Zaffre had already left to get some food and was on her way back, seeing everyone around her eating she picked up her apple and started nibbling at it.

Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »
"Ah, it's nothing - not like I'm not used to that armor." Janna said, sipping her juice as they were joined by Brock and Zaffre. "Hey, you're damngood at the 'laying waste' part, Brock. You ought to be sayin' that with pride."

The tall woman nodded along with Zaffre's words. "Yeah, good idea. I'm no strategist, but with out setup, we might be better off sticking closer against folks than we do against grimm. Sort of play it more defensively, yeah?"

Janna looked towards Diana again. "You really ought to eat more, Dee - especially after a fight like that!" She commented before chowing down on a slice of bacon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:36:50 AM by Walter »
Razzmatazz Gele - 2nd Year warrior of happiness of Team ____. "Oh, I also like ____! Let's be friends!"

Janna Tarmac - 1st Year tank lady of Team DGTL. "Our job is to protect the innocent, and that's what I do."

Reginald Royale - 1st year snotty brat of team RBLS. "I'm telling father about this!"

Rufus Chocla - 2nd year freestyle rapper of team APRC. "Rap comes from the Soul, don't mess with the Flow, if you can't take no more, don't wait for Encore!"

Silica Methiviola - Assistant to the Royale Family/Reginald. "Suck my metaphorical dick, nerd."

Coconut Cream - 1st Year pervert of team CASA. "B-before we fight could you just like... nyah once for me?"

Tiber Rostrum - 1st year Bea(k)on student. "*Unintelligible, birdlike gibberish*"

My good ole AMA

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
In truth, Brock was mildly flattered to hear that his judgment - or lack thereof, as a matter of fact - had been correct. Had to that Janna's compliment as to his destructive effectiveness and the food hill set before him began to diminish at an even faster rate, both mesmerizing and alarming. An unwary onlooker could've confused Brock with some sort of very quiet vacuum.

Being sat opposite to the (two smallest) girls, even with his towering height, he was thoroughly unable to sneak a peek at the strategy notebook his new teammate handed over to his leader. Janna's comment, on the other hand, caused him to pause his calorie intake and briefly look at the others' fielded rations. He gave up after a heartbeat or two, though, realizing he had no idea what was "normal" to eat for a given person.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

smashingBrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:17:43 AM »
Zaffre had the biggest smile between taking a bite of her lunch and listening to the praise of the team's captain. "Glad I can help, then!" She said, before turning her focus to Janna’s question and completely away from the food she was supposed to be eating. "Yeah! Had we all been a bit closer together we would have been in a much better position to stop that girl when she showed up in our midst. At the same time, closing ranks too much would have made her semblance even more effective – we were all doing what we were supposed to, just… not in the right places!” Zaffre responded, and she was about to go on when Janna made her next comment.

Zaffre took a moment to look at the whole one bite she’d taken of her lunch so far, and decided that she should take a second bite rather than go into detail about how she wanted to do some testing with her semblance to see if it could help with relaying reactions to that kind of surprise attack.

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »
Diana gave a warm smile and nodded in agreement as Janna complimented Brock. She closed the strategy notebook and placed it on the table.

She was initially a bit taken aback when Janna commented on her mostly untouched apple. Although her clothes were hardly tight fitting it didn't take a master detective to see that she was a bit malnourished. "Um, sorry I know. I just, well we lived pretty sparsely when I was growing up, so I've never had much of an appetite." still, she felt genuinely touched that Janna was looking out for her "I'll get something a bit more substantial." she got up, wandered the buffet for a bit.

As she came back with half a BLT bagel in hand and doing her best to not limp she addressed her team "I do think we did really well out there today. Sure there are things we can improve upon but we still don't know the full extent of each other's fighting styles, let alone the details of our semblances. We'll improve with practice, and I think as we get to know each other." since strategy was something she needed to improve upon she looked to Zaffre while gesturing to the notebook "Would it be okay for me to borrow your notes and study them?"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:27:03 PM by Vision »

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 02:57:53 AM »
Janna grinned at Diana. "I'll have to show you a good meal sometime then, eh?" she commented, glancing at Brock's food and then at her own. "Though I 'spose the two of us aren't exactly prime examples of 'normal eating habits' either."

She then nodded to Zaffre. "Guess the problem might be that we got good ranged capabilities with all of ya, but Brock and I lack mobility. I'm a bit too slow to get back and help ya if I go out in melee." she said and rubbed her chin. "Hrm. That'll take more brain power than I have to give at the moment, I guess."

The amazonian woman half-shrugged and took a sip of juice. "But Diana's right - for what it was worth, we did pretty damn well out there." 

My good ole AMA

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »
Brock listened to Zaffre, then to Diana's short retelling of her childhood, careful to not accidentally inhale his food in a more literal fashion. She then briefly left, then came back with what felt like a single bite of food in her plate. Good choice, though. As Janna commented on the taller duo's eating habits, Brock took the time to mutter a low, reverberating "Damn right.

He also didn't miss Diana's continued speech, nodding in assent at her conclusions. As Janna pitched in as well, he resumed nodding - but only for a brief moment. Stopping his consumption of kilocalories, he made a T sign with his hands while he finished chewing and swallowing the mouthful of food that was being processed. "Hol' up. I don't got no ranged capabilities right now. I don' have the money to pay for the ammo Uloe guzzles on my own.

And yeah, guess all things considered, we did pretty bloody decent, didn't we?
"

Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

smashingBrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 11:49:27 PM »
"That's what they're there for!" Zaffre answered to Diana with a smile. As she listened to Janna and Brock her expression started to get a bit more concerned. "I mean, it was our first fight as a team - it's bound to have a lot of room for improvement. Still, we were pretty coordinated for it being our first go - I imagine that's a big hurdle for a lot of teams. More importantly though - Brock, what kind of rounds do you usually go for? Do you think we might be able to requisition something for you through the school?"

Zaffre paused for a moment before she perked up again, having gotten an idea. "If need be, I could loan you Dux Vindex and a few of its slugs until we can get enough of a stockpile up. I've been trying to get more practice with my dad's- er, my - my new weapon, so it wouldn't be too much trouble for me." Zaffre kept her smile up, but her slip-up caused her shoulders to drop a bit. It seemed she decided not to dwell on the past, though, and instead let's herself focus on her sandwich for the moment instead.

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
Giving a small smile back to Janna she simply responded "That could be nice, but yeah, don't expect me to eat like you two."

As the conversation moved to strategy Diana really wanted to just defer entirely to Zaffre as she really was the expert, but figured she should say something at least since she was supposed to be leading. Absentmindedly she shook her head in bewilderment wondering, for what felt like the hundredth time, why she was chosen to lead.

"I do really appreciate you looking out for us Janna but you are an amazing fighter, and you should fight to your strengths. Besides I’m pretty agile, I can avoid most of the trouble that comes my way." she said whilst making sure not to rub her ankle as she had been for most of the conversation.

She looked from Brock to Zaffre as they talked about his ranged capabilities but didn’t really have anything to add, the sniper like rounds she used would certainly not work with his weapon. She did pick up on the change to Zaffre as she mentioned her dad, Diana looked on with eyes that were partially piercing with curiosity but were mostly caring with empathy. She desperately wanted to be there for her with whatever it was, but knew better than to force it. She made a mental note to ask Zaffre if there was anything she would like to talk about when the two were alone at some point.

Walter

• Master of Traps

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
"Thanks for the compliment, but while I'm in my armor the thing I'm best at is being a target," the tank girl said and looked towards Brock. "Ah, dang, forgot about that. I'd offer my parents' help with that, but not with dust ammo of that quantity."

She huffed. "Logistics is another problem with this team, I suppose - my dad can make you some temporary guns or something if need be, though."

She then grinned, taking a large bite out of a piece of bacon. "Point stays - did good, let's eat!"

My good ole AMA

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
Pausing between a mouthful of crepes and another of muffin, Brock answered Zaffre with "Yeah, as Janna mentioned, it's all Dust ammo. Uloe wouldn't be able to fire the rounds you'd find in a normal GAU-8. Might even just break it, at worst." He then resumed eating, matter disappearing from the table at a disturbing rate.

A few moments later, he responded to Janna. "Guns would be neat, but it'd be harder to juggle Uloe and whatever sidearm I'd end up having. That said, you're damn straight we're eating!", he finished while taking an even larger chunk of food away than normal.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"