Author Topic: Malina's Magnificent Mission! [Closed]  (Read 41852 times)

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    Forgive me for what I must yabba dabba do
    • View Profile
Re: Malina's Magnificent Mission! [Closed]
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Malina had simply shook her head quietly as her gaze went from the door, to the lights above, back to the door, and then back to the sky. She wanted to say 'This is where Jackson is, don't you believe me? The proof is right here, it's always been here, I've been here before and it certainly didn't look like this but maybe they renovated. Maybe they found something down in the mines that let them afford to build their walls this high. Maybe they're safe in there and everything is good because they decided they just don't need Vale anymore. It's here! Don't you believe me!?' but what came out was just "This is where Jackson was."

Malina took a step forward toward the door with the intention to knock, but slowly pulled back her hand. They had to go in, of course they had to go in, it was what they were here for, she knew that and yet she really didn't want to. She looked up once more to the clouds, wiping away rain from from her face as she did. The colors seemed to be shifting around in the pillar of light, blues turned to yellows, yellows to reds, reds to purples, all swirling around and then returning to what they had been before. Malina swallowed hard and took a deep breath before turning back to the group as the thought 'We should have been able to see this from the Bullhead' shot across her mind.

"We have to go in, it's our job." She spoke unwaveringly in despite of what she felt. "We sure as hell aren't getting over the walls, so it seems like the door is our only way in..." She looked around at the four in front of her. "Any takers?"
Atlas: ShowHide
Mercenary: Kol Augur ~ The Judicator of Atlas
Speaking: #5C5054 Thinking: #EAC117

Mistral: ShowHide
Huntress-in-Training: Aca Roth ~ Member of Team RWND
Speaking: #E05260 Thinking: #EA857F
Huntress-in-Training: Brook Pallas ~ Member of Team CNBR
Speaking: #4863A0 Thinking: #98AFC7
Council Member: Phaedo Katsaros ~ Figurehead for Faunus/Human relations
Speaking: #667C26 Thinking: #B6CC76

Vacuo: ShowHide
40th Vytal Tournament Champion: Zabar Aga ~ Member of Team DAWN
Speaking: #CD7F32 Thinking: #EE9A4D

Vale: ShowHide
Huntress: Malina Nahualli-Roth ~ Leader of Team MCCA
Speaking: #993A64 Thinking: #8B0C44
Beacon Professor: Titania Printemps ~ Assistant Headmistress of Beacon Academy
Speaking: #4AA02C Thinking: #E55B3C
Drop-out: Durian Ghede ~ Former leader of team DFDL
Speaking: #E1BD27 Thinking: #AF8B00

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
Teddy only looked up for a few seconds. Today was being weird enough as it was, and he needed to keep a cool head. The quiet walk over did little to relieve the nervousness Teddy had built up. He kept his head down and thought about some sort of plan. Some optimal strategy to keep as many people safe as possible.

"I have a bad feeling about this. All of this. Calen, you and I are gonna open the door. Well...I'm gonna open the door,
 and you're gonna pull me out in case something goes wrong. Okay?"
he said, speaking in a soft monotone. It was obvious that he was scared, but he spoke up regardless.
1st Year Beacon Student Michael Vaktar http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html
1st Year Beacon Student Chris "The Tiger" Sebei  http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,601.0.html
1st Year Student Theodore "Teddy" Williams http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,744.0.html
3rd Year Beacon Student Justice Montenegro http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,1081.0.html

SonicCraftX

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    "The best apology is changed behaviour."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
"Damn. I hate it when I'm right"

Cobe said to himself, while observing, well, what was left of Jackson. This castle-type thing was huge. Cobe reloaded Cobalt Dawn, intentionally making the click loud enough to hear, and sent a look indicating he had their back.

"Teddy, don't worry, I may not show it, but trust me, I'm just as scared as you right now. Everyone, keep you guard up, we have zero idea what's on the other side of that door.
Cobe Sky - "Don't get in my way, or I'll cut you up as fast as these Grimm"
(http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,63.0.html)

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »
'Keep a light finger on that trigger Master Theodore, I know it looks like an evil overlord's castle but let us not try to instigate violence if we can avoid it.' Calen remarked as he patted his leader on the back, almost pushing the smaller boy forward as Calen followed close behind. Calen was still hungry for a fight but it wasn't the first time he had to bury his emotions and wouldn't be the last. This did have the side effect of making the gaunt boy look even more arrogant in the face of unknown danger.

'I mean they could have just gotten the worlds most overcompensating architect to work on the walls.' Calen joked as they walked closer to the door, his weapon still at the ready regardless of his apparently nonchalant demeanor. A student of historical warfare Calen knew that castles had more than a few ways to deal with intruders from oil, ballistas and even simple rocks dropped from a high enough height could spell doom for their party. As such Calen kept a close eye on the walls even as they got well and truly within the shadow of the structure Calen kept up a brisk pace and would not so lightly push Teddy if he didn't also.

'I wonder if it would be more or less awkward if the door was open. Would ruin the whole point of the walls don't you think?' Calen mused to no one in particular as him and Teddy made their way forward. The reality of the situation seemed to be seeping into Calen as he got closer, his body stiffening and his mind alight with ideas about how these walls came to be, none of them painted a pretty picture.

After only waiting a few moments Calen, deciding hesitation would be a display of cowardice opened the door himself with a great flourish. 'Well come on then the company can't be any worse.' Calen remarked as he hefted his admittedly minor body weight and put it to task on the door. Augmenting himself with his aura if needed. Having to sheath his weapon to give him the least chance of looking like a moron Calen did leave himself vulnerable to any attack poised behind the door.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:08:33 AM by Kingnoname1 »
No criticism is too harsh so hit me with your best shot.

Calen Shrike - ASTC - First Year Beacon.

Saffron de Cortez - SALT - Third Year Atlas.

Amarant Lovis - (formerly of)ACCE - Headmaster of Atlas Academy

Ramalia - RASB - First Year Shade

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
The door swung open quickly and easily, casting a purplish glow out into the darkness surrounding the group and cutting a line between the students, who stood basked in the light and Malina, who stood just on the edge.

Calen instinctively lifted his arm up to shield his eyes from the bright glow but quickly found it wasn't needed. He stepped forward into the doorway unthinking and almost without notice, blocking the view from the rest of the group. He stood in a slackjawed combination of wonderment, confusion, apprehension, and relief. The town certainly wasn't the dark castle he had expected but it wasn't what Malina had described in the bullhead either. Far from a simple wooden settlement, what stood before him seemed more fitting of a city. The buildings were all modern buildings, hard concrete, brick, steel, and so forth, and attached to almost every single building were enormous neon lights advertising shops or taverns or hotels in brightly colored letters that cast a bouncing glow off of the lightly falling rain. The streets were just like the ones in Vale, though they didn't seem to be used for any vehicles. Large passageways through the city with stone sidewalks on either side and, from the looks of it anyway, sewer grates in the middle of the "road".

The rain was also different, Calen thought, the smell of rain had come with the opening door, something distinctly missing from the swamp that he hadn't noticed until now. Although, perhaps that was wrong. It wasn't rain, not really anyway. It smelled like... nostalgia? Yes, nostalgia. That didn't make much sense to Calen but he still seemed to completely understand and accept the thought.

His trance was broken as a group of three shoved past them as they walked along the sidewalk. The group had been made up of three men, although one was short enough to be mistaken for a boy before Calen noticed the large beard. The other two, a large tan man and a lanky man whose skin almost appeared.. green and tan at the same time. "Oh, not even gonna apologize, huh?" the short one asked in a gravely voice. The lanky one looked down at him and Calen could now see he had almost feminine features. "Has he been on TV, Merle? No, I don't think so." He said in a higher pitched and sarcastic voice.

The group faded off into the distance and Calen finally looked down and confirmed that, yes, he was on the sidewalk. He looked back and saw that the door he'd entered through was a good twenty feet away. 'When did I get out here?' He thought, but the fear or confusion that should have followed that thought were notably absent. His gazed went back to the city in front of him and now he noticed the odd mixture of people. No two outfits were the same, not like some villages where there's a general fashion. It almost seemed as though they were all hunters with their wildly varying clothing. A woman with dark skin passed by, her hair a flowing length that almost seemed to shift colored from blue to gold, to purple in the light. Her flowing blue coat was viable for only a moment before she disappeared into the crowd.

A man's laugh caught his attention and he saw a larger man sitting at a table with three others, two men and two women. The laughing man had short brown hair and a large muscular body. It seemed he'd just won an arm wrestling contest with the other man at the table.

Suddenly it was as if he'd taken earmuffs off that he had on for the past ten minutes and the sounds flooded in. It was overwhelming at first, but he quickly adapted. This place was loud. Very loud. It all suddenly clicked in his head like a gunshot. This place was wrong. He couldn't explain it, but it was wrong. They should have been able to head this much noise from outside, the walls were way too high, it seemed like hunters had already made their homes here, and-

'Wait.' A thought shot across his mind. 'Ten minutes? How long have I been in here?' He whipped his head around just in time to see Malina entered in the door, now at least forty feet away. She wasn't exactly his favorite person in the world, sure. None of the group were, but at least they were familiar. Calen looked around quickly before hurriedly walking back toward Malina.

Malina took one step into the walled settlement and came within a hair's length of immediately shrinking back out into the darkness. Although she didn't realize he felt it too, she shared the feeling of nostalgia with Calen. Hers was much, much more defined though. She could feel it everywhere, she could see it everywhere. Floating through the air like water currents in an ocean. he hand instinctivly shot to her staff and gripped tight. This was not right. They needed to figure out what was going on and why. Her gaze was so transfixed on the rooftops and neon signs that she hadn't noticed she too had walked forward and met Calen halfway, bumping into him absentmindedly and breaking her from her trance.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:15 AM »
Helena walked a bit back from the entrance, readying her bow for any unexpected and unwelcome events - although she made sure not to aim the bloody thing at her companions. The door opened and she tensed.

Nothing... happened? Well, other than the door opening and a lights & sounds show unbecoming of a small village spilling out, it was eventless. That said, she noticed that those who'd gone right in had an odd way of looking around, dazed nearly beyond recognition. The fact that they seemed to slowly keep walking further in didn't help her stop worry from springing up within her.

She slowly edged closer to the door and, without looking directly in or entering, yelled "Hey, um, guys? Mind coming back out here and telling us what's up?"
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
Malina muttered a quiet apology to Calen and shook her head. With a furrowed brow, she turned to the voice that had called her- it had been Helena. She made her way toward the door but came to a stop about ten feet away from it and cocked her head to the side. "Why would we come out? We need to figure out what's going on in here. It's what we came for." She spoke fluidly and with no sense of the words being anything other than her own, though she did have a fleeting feeling of "offness" that surfaced for barely a second before being engulfed in the normality that was the town of Jackson.

"Besides, all that's out there is the dark and mosquito. Come on, I wanna dry off somewhere." She gestured to Helena then paused for a moment and seemed to look passed her before adding, "and make sure Cobe didn't run off."

Behind Malina, who had been busy chatting with Helena and having the normality flow over her, Calen still felt that offness all around him, a feeling that he couldn't- wouldn't?- shake.

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
Teddy stood there, motionless, for almost a solid minute as he tried to think about what he was seeing. Being close to the door, he could see what was inside. His natural timidness kept him from immediately coming closer. After a while of waiting, he found himself slowly drifting into the light like a moth to flame.

"This isn't right. Nothing about this is right." he said, mesmerized by the glow of the neon signs. There was something about Jackson that felt...familiar. It took him a minute to put his finger on it. It did not quite look familiar. It did not have enough foot traffic to sound like Vale. It was the smell. Teddy would swear up and down that the part of the city they were in smelled like the alley behind Mac's bar.

He had a lot of memories there. Mostly good ones. A few bad ones. The smell was exactly like the alley at one in the morning. Eddie's smokehouse was closing down for the night, so the smell of cooking meat faded into the background. The Herman sister's bakery was starting their morning pastries. Two wonderful smells gently masking the smell of the dumpster down the alley.

Teddy only came out of his train of thought when he knocked into Calen as they passed on the street. "Oh, s-sorry." he quickly said. He turned around to see the rest of the group. "Is this weird for anyone else?"
1st Year Beacon Student Michael Vaktar http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,589.0.html
1st Year Beacon Student Chris "The Tiger" Sebei  http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,601.0.html
1st Year Student Theodore "Teddy" Williams http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,744.0.html
3rd Year Beacon Student Justice Montenegro http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,1081.0.html

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »
Calen thought he would be prepared to face anything behind the foreboding walls. Any foe, whether Grimm or human, wouldn't have drawn out even a moment of hesitation. This change in pace however did the impossible, leaving Calen completely stumped and speechless. Trying to apologies as he bumped into the three men Calen was unable even to form real worlds resulting in half grunting, half muttering which Calen quickly quietened himself by slamming his hand over his mouth with a loud clap. Stumbling his way back to Malina, going through Teddy, Calen tried to get something solid at his back and seemed to almost shrink into the wall. Bending over in a mixture of fear, awe and confusion Calen still managed to keep his feet but hugged his body tight all the while his eyes darted around wildly.

Playing back the events which lead to walking into 'Jackson' Calen was searching desperately for something to make sense of the unfolding events. Mumbling still incoherently to himself Calen's breathing stabilised as he started to calm down, techniques long drilled into his head started to calm him down subconsciously but he still couldn't work out what was happening. The sense of familiarity only compounded Calen's unease as well as the colourful outfits reminding him of Mistral and his trauma from his homeland.

After minutes of being almost unresponsive Calen managed to start to compose himself against their strange new reality. Straightening up Calen avoided eye contact even more than usual before managing to choke out. 'I ....don't like this.'

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
This wasn't good. In fact, this was starting to get relatively terrifying. Her eternal shadow of a smile had started to fade away, now almost completely gone. She had to get everyone out of there, as fast as possible. She had several ideas for now, but let's start with the least... unfun one.

Helena took a deep breath and, maintaining her position of not-looking, answered. "Malina, something is indeed very wrong in there. All of you that've gone in - Teddy, yourself, Calen - aren't the same. Your personalities, or at least behaviours, are entirely different. Teddy, you and Calen were very visibly nervous and even fearful of what may be behind walls as tall as Beacon Tower where there previously was a simple, if prosperous, village. Now not only do you try to stay in there, but Calen seems to be breaking down, Teddy is proceeding forwards with what I can only hear is an utter lack of caution and you yourself seem to have entirely forgotten your state of mind a minute or two prior, all of which are complete 180s of your general behaviours during the rest of the mission.

Please, something is very abnormal in there and you need to get out now.
" Her tone was legitimately getting imploring at the end. If this didn't do it, she'd have to resort to drastic measures.

...Whatever Cobe was up to. Hopefully, watching her back.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:27:12 AM by nathan67003 »
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

SonicCraftX

• Been Around

• Personal Text
    "The best apology is changed behaviour."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
Cobe was watching the forest in case of returning Grimm, far too focused on their protection from the back, that he didn't notice what was going down in front of him. He had heard everything, but much of it hadn't registered.

It was only when Helena spoke that Cobe had registered it and quickly pulled her aisde to talk to her, holding her nose as he did so.

"Ok, I might be wrong here, but I think whatever that is," he said, pointing the giant structure, "is dispensing some type of Toxin-Infused Dust, I've seen this before, whatever you do, do NOT breathe that stuff in.

He let go of her nose before moving to an area of the wall where the glow was absent, ushering Helena to follow on.
Cobe Sky - "Don't get in my way, or I'll cut you up as fast as these Grimm"
(http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,63.0.html)

Dr. Gustave

• The Nice Admin

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
Malina rubbed her thumb and index fingers against her eyes as she let out a sigh. "Look." She began to say as she took her hand away and looked up to Helena and where Cobe had just been. "If it were a toxin, we'd be dead. If it were a hallucinogen, we wouldn't have been able to see this shit from out there." She gestured to where Helena stood. "You're the ones acting weird, we have a mission to complete and it involves investigating whatever's going on here!" Helena's words had in fact washed away some of the normalcy that had washed over Malina before but unfortunately for Helena it was replaced by Malina's usual personality, and Malina was not one to be deterred.

She paused for a moment, just staring at Helena before glancing to Teddy and Calen. She took in a deep breath and crossed her arms and her eyes locked back with Helena's. "If you won't come in then stay out there and, I don't know, stand guard." Agitation was obvious in her voice. "Calen, Teddy and I are going to figure out what's going on here."

With that, she turned away from Helena and walked back to where Calen and Teddy stood, one dazed and the other almost freaking out. "Get yourselves together and let's move out." She said quickly before walking past them and continuing down the street, glancing up at street signs as she slowly made her way.

She could still feel it inside of her, of course. The normalcy. Everything about this place seemed right and yet at the same time, to her, it wasn't. She could see why, she could easy see why. She could see the feeling of nostalgia in the air. She wasn't sure how she could or how to explain it, and she wasn't sure she would ever be able to even if the others ever ended up being able to see it like she could, but part of her hoped they would never have to be able to see.

She let out a small breath of air and a small smile, in spite of the oddness of it all, crept across her face. Gods, she sounded just like one of the kids.

Malina continued to walk down the street, not caring or maybe not even remembering to check if the others had followed her, before stopping suddenly and looking up at a dark purple lit sign hanging above a black painted door.

"The Blackbird Bistro"

A familiar name, one from years ago, all the way back in her third year at beacon, maybe even further than that. She'd lost a bet with another student and had to be treated to dinner there.

The smile faded.

But that was in Vale. 'A different place with the same name, of course!' she thought before looking inside and seeing the same black tablecloths, the same black vested waiters, the same dim amber lighting, the same food set on the table and the same smell that drifted out of the door as one of the patrons opened it to leave.

Without much more thought, Malina grabbed the door as it swung closed and let herself in.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
After Cobe let go of her nose, Helena more or less stared at Malina in horror as she refuted her arguments and walked out of sight. The blonde girl had been in too much shock to even think of enacting her emergency measures before the teacher had trekked around a corner.

"...Shit." She turned to what she assumed was the only other sane person left on the mission. "I'm not ready to ditch the airborne agent pitch just yet, despite Malina's claims to the contrary. Some sort of psychotropic, airborne agent that needs to be in high enough concentrations to take effect or something, affecting emotions and mental state without inducing outright hallucinations, or mayhaps with hallucinations, I can't tell. Let's go your way and scout the perimeter wall to see if there's anything else noteworthy.", she continued while starting to walk clockwise around the, err 'village'.

"Let's make haste. If we find anything that's not a door like this one, we're going in after them. Gotta be safer behind those walls than in the middle of nowhere, at least if Grimm are concerned. That work?", she finished as she looked to her last (in a sense) teammate. Her smile was starting to return, although she didn't worry any less about those inside.
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Kingnoname1

• Personal Text
    Here to chat, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 02:39:40 AM »
It hurt. As someone who valued their own individual strength and endurance the idea that anything could break through his mask hurt more than any physical wound. Combined with Malina’s demands as well as Cobe and Helena leaving the shame gave Calen something to steady himself against even as the laws of reality seemed to be failing. ‘...No ...Scrolls.’ Calen called out, his voice still strained from his mental lapse. ‘Don't go far.... Wouldn’t want to waste a cute girl like you on Grimm.’ Managing a slight smile to accompany his sexist remark waved goodbye and impressively managed to regain his mask before turning around to face Malina.

‘Of course Miss Nahualli, just a bit overwhelmed, hundred apologies.’ Calen responded managing even to get spring in his step as he followed along humming an obscure tune. Behind his hastily erected mask Calen’s mind was still struggling to come to terms of his surroundings, everything seemed half familiar but after years of ignoring his past made it impossible know for sure. Malina on the other hand seemed to have a better idea of the buildings and seemed to focus on a restaurant. ‘If you are feeling a bit hungry I have some stuff in my pac….’ Calen began before being interrupted by Malina storming away.

Rude. Calen thought to himself. For a moment Calen wanted to remain outside and continue looking around as an act of rebellion but looking around that sensation of half-remembering his surroundings returned and rather than face it along Calen followed Malina into Seven Stars Bar. ‘A lot of people overlook bars, they have a reputation for modest meals but a lot can be done with simple ingredients and strong drink.’ Calen remarked trying to fill the silence more than anything else.

Finding himself alone but strangely calm Calen decided to head straight to the bartop and try to order a drink. No point searching for answers with a dry throat. Calen thought to himself as he sat down on one of the cushioned bar stools and waved to get the barkeeps attention. ‘Two glasses of Sherry, please.' Calen requested politely.

Mikelobmike

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »
Teddy's question went unanswered. Not entirely surprising, given the circumstances. Teddy would silently follow Calen and Malina, hoping that one of them would be able to make sense of the situation. His hopes were dashed rather quickly, with him finding himself abandoned on the sidewalk.

He made his way further down the sidewalk, once again being a bit overwhelmed at the signs around him. Teddy was never a huge fan of those big neon signs. They always reminded him of Shale Street in Vale. It was the kind of place that used to be prosperous, but eventually nothing is left but dive bars and the few places people still go to. Teddy tended to avoid going there, having been on the wrong end of a fight a few times in the alleys. The one good reason to step foot on that street was Sunshine Grocery.

That place was owned by the Shira family, and it was a tiny little place. Had all the basics you could want, but the reason they stayed in business was the kebabs they sold in the back. They butchered the meat themselves, and it was the best damn thing you could buy for less than an hour's pay. Teddy would buy a set of those, and a package of those little chocolate cake things that come in plastic wrap, and bring them home on his way back from- *krinkle*

Taking a deep breath and looking around, Teddy finally snapped out of it. He was looking at the floor, his eyes following the path of the crack in the yellowing tile. Following their path, he looked up at the clear upright freezers lining the side of the store. There was no way. No possible fucking way that he was there. Sunshine closed down years ago. He looked down at his hand, and he had that chocolate snack cake in his palm.