Author Topic: A novice has entered the fray  (Read 5991 times)

Vision

• Personal Text
    The Unofficial Official Keeper of Statistics
    • View Profile
A novice has entered the fray
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Hey hey everyone. I'm a biomedical student with practically no experience when it comes to creative writing, but after taking part in a couple DnD games I'm hoping to improve in order to create better backstories and the like. I've never really tried forum based RP so not sure to what extent I'll take to it, but I'm a huge fan of the RWBY world and have loved playing DnD. Once I feel I've crafted a solid character (and i have time, sigh) I'd certainly be interested in giving it a go.

The rules weren't too specific to how the forums themselves work (unless there's anther thread for that?) so thought to just ask two things here.

1. Is it okay to write /try to get approved characters without necessarily planning to use them in the RP? I've been planning to write a full team as practice (one at a time of course), but can understand if you don't want that added to the work pile of the mods.

2. Is there an appropriate forum to post a thread for some quick feedback on the gist of a team (team and character names / basic idea of the semblances / team motif). As i'm not too familiar, my main  concern is to make sure it follows the "rules" and isn't cliche or unoriginal.

Think that covers everything. I'm looking forward to familiarise myself with the ongoings of the site, though I might be rather sporadic in activity when studying gets hectic (It'll probably be a while before any character stuff is actually posted). 
Cheers, Vision.

Diana Levone - Beacon First year - Leader and Medic of team Digital (DGTL)
[color= #839CA5]""[/ color]
Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)
[color= #F2B233]""[/ color]

Ordelis

• View Profile
Re: A novice has entered the fray
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
Yo good to see new participants, to answer your questions

1.Write as many as you damn well please, just know only one can be put under for review for approval at a time and it takes some time for the mods to to do so(as there's currently about 20 currently pending review).

2. http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/board,32.0.html This is the WIP(work in progress) board post as many as you want here as there's no limit to what you want to be review by everyone and not the mods.
http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,751.0.html This is also a good guideline for What Not to Do when it comes to character creation.
Solar Rasie "What's this thing? What does it do? Can I play with it!?"
https://i.imgur.com/161JzXc.png

Ribeiro Ispecs
"Can I see the color of your blood? Please?"

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Hello, fellow student! I'm currently a physics undergrad, myself. I'm looking forward to seeing you around!

About your questions, I recommend you post your things in WiP, where everybody can give their opinion. However, I wouldn't submit 'void' characters (that won't be used) in an official capacity, as the mods really take their time to help you refine the character.
All in all, you'll be fine. Visit the archive (post-reboot) to witness how bad I was at first :P
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
http://rwby-rpg.rwbyfanon.com/index.php/topic,751.0.html This is also a good guideline for What Not to Do when it comes to character creation.
Cheers for the warm welcome. And thanks for the guide, nice to be able to avoid a few pitfalls at least :)

About your questions, I recommend you post your things in WiP, where everybody can give their opinion. However, I wouldn't submit 'void' characters (that won't be used) in an official capacity, as the mods really take their time to help you refine the character.
Thanks, I'll write most of it offline and head to the WiP section once its taken shape. Maybe at a much later date try to get one approved. My only concern with the WiP section was the rule that I've included in the spoiler, as it seems to specify not to do that (Had unfortunately missed it earlier).
Spoiler: ShowHide
WiP is for profiles that people need help with to create. It is not a place to store character profiles of characters you never move to character creation. [...]. If you plan on never using the profile and you're just storing it here, then you are not in the right place.

Anyway rather than create anther thread I'll just ask here: the main concern (for my practice team) right now was on the naming rule, though from the guide Ordelis posted I understand that the rules are a bit lenient. I was looking at the link below and saw a few mythological names suggested, and I wanted to check if people here would agree with them being used? I quite liked the idea as they were more "name like" than colours in random languages, but still something that could evoke colours (And it provides the team with a motif like the ones in the show, though I'll be careful to not draw too much inspiration from it).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GVFgBSNKXGTm13xs62aqH0THE12SFlRZHJ0w25oePkM/edit#gid=0

Three of them seem pretty reasonable: Diana (Roman goddess of the moon), Ravi (Hindu God of the sun), Nyx (Greek goddess of shadows). The last one is a bit more questionable, though I don't think unreasonable: Bastet (Egyptian goddess of protection, family, and.. well Cats).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:09:32 PM by Vision »

Bastet Nin - Haven First year - Blinking Glaive Skirmisher of team Rewind (RWND)

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:54:20 AM »
Names do not need to directly reference colour, they're just encouraged to be linked to a colour in some way, however far-fetched. For example, my character Nathan's first name means something along the lines of 'gift from god' in hebrew, and the colour associated to giving and generosity is gold. I know, really far-fetched, but nobody ever commented on it. You're probably more than fine with the mythological figures you've posed.
Characters: ShowHide
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
Thanks for all the help Nathan!

I've also realised that my original plan was kinda stupid, so rather than try to write four I'll see about making one and getting it approved (then based on that I can do the rest, and have something to take part in the RP). Team BRND (Brandy) will live on at some point.

The Mythic Scribe

• Personal Text
    What sanity?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
Welp, good that you changed your original plan now. You're not allowed to create a team all by yourself here. Heck, ya can't even have control of two characters on the same team, so creating one all by yourself is definitely off the board. Void characters are discouraged, I mean, you could just do that by yourself and ask for the opinions of others, right?

Good that you're planning on actually taking part in rp though. This is a great site imo, and you would definitely be missing out on 95% of the fun by not rping... on an rp site... I'm sure you'll take to it, and if not, that's still fine.

Btw, BRND could also be Burned.
Mauve Roux(1st year leader of team ROSE):“Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.”  -Simone Weil

Bianca Li(1st year member of team CBLT):"When you're the victim of the behavior, it's black and white; when you're the perpetrator, there are a million shades of gray." -Laura Schlessinger

Primrose Aster(1st year member of team BTRA):“To weep is to make less the depth of grief.”  -William Shakespeare

Cerise Carnelian(1st year member of team VCVS):"Be as you wish to seem." -Socrates

Lien Li(2nd year member of team MLDC): "To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders." -Lao Tzu

Aurora Hesperid(1st year leader of team ATLA)

Vision

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
I must have missed that rule, but makes perfect sense. So yeah that's essentially what I'll, do one full team that I'll work on for myself, and one character for the site. Now I just need to actually write a good character and design an original weapon jaaaaaay.

Burned is a good one as well, the name started as Burgundy but Brandy seemed to fit better. Have three options now I guess.