Author Topic: How to make a character for dummies (Research phase)  (Read 14383 times)

Xarias Fury

• Personal Text
    TWo MilKmen go comedy
    • View Profile
How to make a character for dummies (Research phase)
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:15:25 AM »
Obviously I wouldn't be making something like this if people were perfect and profiles warmed my heart every time I read them. They do, they warm my heart all right. Warm it so much that it catches fire and makes me want to slam my head on the keyboard because of how much love I'm feeling. (In case you're a dummy that's sarcasm...baka)

Before i go into a blabbering mess about what do's and don'ts should go into a character I'm gonna collect some ideas. So in short give me general ideas of what shouldn't or should be in a profile so I can condense them into something meaningful and full of joy and love while I skin a b*&@

Ideas can be anything from uberly edgy names being a huge turnoff to weapon histories or the all dreaded and overly flamboyant semblance sections, anything really. Just don't blatantly link profiles or name names cuz public shaming is bad. really bad. Like seriously. No I am not snickering while writing this. honest. *snickers*
Students
Wisteria Lockheart - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Don't make me throw a book at you"
Shiroe Pendragon - 1st Year Student at beacon - "This is my monochrome reality" - Team MARS
Lavender du Lac - 1st Year Student at Haven -  "The harder I try the further things drift away."
Ayaka Miyamoto - 1st Year student at Beacon. "Tsubame Gaeshi!" - Team ALIA
Vermilion Desdemona - 3rd Year Student at Beacon - "Only time you'd be above me is when your head rests on my pike"
Talen de L'eglantine - 3rd Year Student at Beacon
Kei Almas - 4th Year Student at Beacon - "Everything is ripe for the taking!"
Aurum LeBlanc - 3rd Year Student at Atlas - "Lay back, take it easy, and watch the comedy unfold"

Professors
Professor William Nox - "To contain the world in a grain of dust

LuckyStar

• Personal Text
    Licky Star
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a character for dummies (Research phase)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:20:08 AM »
I think characters shouldn't have such... extravagant weapons. Let me just have Sakura explain why!

A weapon shouldn't be flashy, cool looking or just there for show. Weapons are tools meant to slice Grimm up, or bust their head in or whatever works. I'll take Uken's katana for example, Qing Song is a masterpiece in my eyes. It doesn't look to cool or flashy, on overall it is just a simple katana that Dust can be loaded inside. Then we have Cidrine's claw gauntlets, just a pair of claw gauntlets with magnets. Also extravagant weapons just look beautiful, they are rarely as effective as a weapon made to kill.

Thanks Sakura. In summary, just no over the top design weapons. Simple ones are fine, I mean look at Jaune's sword and shield.
I luv my CC: ShowHide
 2nd Year Roaring Tiger Cidrine Laohu

2nd Year Flower Mechanic Sakura Lunciar - Proudly HRMS

3rd Year Aurora Beats Aurelia Hestia

3rd Year Demon Cat Kelly Green - Proudly DVGS(hopefully0

4th Year Butterfly Samurai Uken Takeda -

Fisherman, Florist, Sniper Thurn Gassenwald - "I'm hooked on a feeling!"

Hunter, Doctor, Lawyer, Goddess of Victory Nike Fortunato -"Please stop calling me the Goddess of Victory..."

Zwei Not

• "Better than Krillin"

• Personal Text
    The man your man could post like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »
Edgy is not cool. You will be laughed off the stage and/or silently judged.
Juno Varia: The Street Punk

Juno Vert: 1st year student of Beacon, Armored leader of Team VCVS

Phi: #007ba7

Nebu Nekhbet: DUAT unit 01: Desegnation RA

Nebu/Rho: #FFD700

Austin Vartra: TBA

Leycil

• Personal Text
    Crew said? Croo said? Crew shade? Crow sahde?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:04:40 AM »
Be as fun and creative as possible with the character,  make them seem unique and different from the crowd. It cheers the mods up and keeps them motivated in their work here.

Trust me, Xarias told me personally when I was making Lucillé
Colton Joule - Fist of Lightning

Leycil Redlee - The Data Sniper

Lucillé Leyes - The Bladed Dancer

Orion Noon - High Noon Trickshot

Galileo Mephis - Randomness at its finest

Worldbuild: Flake Homestead: ShowHide

Thx to Asterisk's for the amazing banner

Kaliot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:24:21 AM »
Playing with fire, you are, Xar. Gonna blatantly public shame now.

Do Not: Excessive length, detail, or complexity isn't always good. It can make a profile tedious to read, and sometimes simple and concise is much better and appreciated. Sometimes it may be necessary though and that's fine; just don't overdo it.

Do Not: Avoid making characters that are cliche, tropey. or 'dark' if possible. It is incredibly difficult to make dark backgrounds sound good and I'd say most people can't do it (including myself). One of the problems with dark histories is that they tend to go into specific detail specifically for the dark parts, and that's probably one of the biggest problems that makes them a turn-off. This can be solved by making events simple and concise. For example, another character of mine had an event happen that mentally scarred her and made her weary about working with other people. In previous iterations of the profile, I went into the details of the event that happened, but for the current profile, I entirely cut it out and replaced it with something that was basically "Yeah, this event happened and this was the result" and it made it sound much better (reading it again, I didn't even mention what the event was when it happened that's how vague it was; it was only after the fact that it happened that I touched on it a tiny bit).

Do: As Leycil just happened to sayyou sniping son of a-, keep things unique and different. Too much of something special makes it no longer special.

Anyway, it'd probably be more helpful to plaster this onto a new character guide or something.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:28:57 AM by Kaliot »
Pyre Persephone Delanto

Formatting

Characters: ShowHide

Sophea Devi Visorith - Beacon Nurse, Gardener, Health Nut, Scholar
Mao Visorith - First-Year Beacon Student, Team SFF[M]
Aurelia Caelius - Beacon Graduate, Huntress, Team [A]URM
Izumi Cremisi - Member of Obsidian Rose, Assassin, Thief, Arcade Enthusiast
Airi Fogden Bicardi - Second-Year Atlas Student, Family Heiress
Avery LeBlanc - Third-Year Atlas Student, Triplet, Duelist, Manipulator, Team SA[L]T | Threads [Team: ]
Yu Mei - Third-Year Haven Student
Suna Arevik - First-Year Shade Student, Scavenger-in-Training, Team S[S]MR
Mara Lev - Mercenary, de facto Leader of Siren

Worldbuilding: ShowHide

Mahava Plains - The bastion of Eastern Sanus
Obsidian Rose - Valish Criminal Organization

NotSurprised

• Personal Text
    I never post on time, don't ask why.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:07:47 PM »
When using numbers, especially in semblances and their effects, be a little vague about them. Numbers only serve to make the reviewer's life a living hell, and they would want to die. Since they're the ones reviewing it, you don't want that!
White Fang: ShowHide

White Fang 2nd Lieutenant: Artist - "Funny. When blood is spilled, it looks the same doesn't it?"

White Fang Captain: Blacksmith - "To create, is to destroy. It's that simple."

Vale: ShowHide
First Year, Team ALIA: Iron Silvarious - "You know nothing? Then get out of my way."

F̷̢͕͍̦̥̯̻̪̙ị̯̲̺̱r͏̻͉s̗t̛̻̼̣̞͔̤ ̸͘҉̲̠̖̭͕Y͓̣̣̲e̬͖̮̠͎̙̗͚a͙r̴̝͉̫͜,̺̣̕ ͔͎̰̯͓Ṭ̠̥͢͠ͅe̫͖̲̹̻̙͕͔͢a̺̫̼̝͔̕͠ḿ͚͚̙̪̻̗͚̝ͅ ̧͉̻͖̗̮̼͈͎̀͝Z͕͍̫C̵͈͈̖̯͎̖F̧̘̭͈͚̜R͈͚͖̣̝͔̰̘͈:͎̫̟̩̬̫̹ ̷̠̭͈̘͖͚F̠̟͈̜͍̫̠e͖͓͉͍͞n̵̰̗̘͈̹͞i̙̭̱̻x̵̦͠ ̷̙͈͈̠͎͉̮̺C̵͇̪̠e͕̟̟̙̻r̰̮̟͓̜̪̩u̯̞͉̥ͅl̺̪̝̣͢ę̥̲̹̹̜̼̳̘a͈̭͎͘͝ǹ̸̻͉̳͍͉̘̝ ̴̝̣̼͇̀̕ͅ-̡̼͚̪̱̻̪̙̠ ̖̬̠̠̪͎́"̸̜̙̣̠͚̻̲Ṣ̢̰͎̟͖̥̤ͅt̛̻̘̯̝͇ͅà҉̤͉͖ņ̯̘͚̮d̷͙̭͇̹ ̲̳̗̞͠͡b̞̣̲̪̳̖̯̭͡è̷̳̰̻̤̖͈͓̠h̶͕̦̭͚͎̠͎͜i̶̫͎͜n̵͙̙̹̳d̹ ̢̙̰̙̰́m̢̖̼̺̦͉͇̫̣͎e̼̼̞ͅ,̲͇͍̫̱͜ ́͏̲̯̳͎ͅI͈̣̰͙̝͈͚͢͞ ̛͙͙̤͚̬͜w̧͓̩̙͇͝į̭̦̹̜ͅĺ̙l̺͕̖̻̳̭̙͘ ̵̪̝̜͜p̛͉̺̻͢r̮̙̗͕̞̬o̡͝҉̞͉̖̼̪̪t͖͕ȩ̸̩̳c̹̯̘͓t̙̤̠͎͖̦̯͠ ͇̗͕͉̥y̵̷̮͙̮̭͙̱̪̝ͅo̶͉͈͎͓̮͇͈͍̘u̘͙̣͘͘.̲̖̫̬̦̤̤̀͝ͅ"҉̼̬͕͞

Fourth Year: Noir - "To see nothing, is to truly see the world."

Head of White Fang Investigation Team: Eklipsei Gray - "I bring justice to the darkness in this kingdom."

Atlas: ShowHide
Third Year Vigilante: Sovereign LeBlanc - "For my next trick, I'll make your Lien disappear!"

Professor of Survival Training, Combat Tactics, and Miscellaneous Studies: Hunter d'Azur - "Alright kids, today's lesson is hide-and-seek. Try your best to hide!"

Mistral: ShowHide
Fourth Year, Team CNBR: Arian Reaper - "In battle, only skill matters."

Asterisk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »
Where A = Aura Cost, S = Stamina Cost, T = Time, and r = Meters per Second

S = A^1.76
A = (2r)^1.5 + rT/7
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:26:47 PM by Asterisk »

Th3King0fChaos

• Personal Text
    The Official Harem King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
Easy math here.
Ismael Skhaos
The Weird Armory of team INKK (Active)

Cherry Rockwell
The lightning Ace of Team ---- (Not in use for now)

Carmine Rodwell - #960018
The Lone Tiger (Not in use for now)

Farco Lione
The Prince of team ---- (Not in use for now)

Uncouth T-Rex

• Personal Text
    Unofficial Forum Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »
Don't make your characters world-renowned musicians or fashion models. It's annoying as hell.

Keep NPCs to a minimum. You don't need like, 8 per character.

Stay away from alliteration, it's bothersome.
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, and walk humbly with your God.

Character List:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Marlon Murk-Leader of Team MRKD (Marked) "The power of the night, the press of the storm, The post of the foe; Where he stands, the Arch Fear in a visible form, Yet the strong man must go..."-Prospice, Robert Browning

Cheri Chanson-Team AFMC (Afirmacion) “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” -Bob Marley

Jack Pettibone-Leader of Team JCRA (Jackrabbit) "In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story."-Barney Stinson

Cherry Chainsaw "Wake up, I'm a bullet loosed Into the heart of a wretched age, I breathe just to beat and bruise, an evolution of the burnin' rage!"-Miracle of Sound, Hell to Pay

Professor Siobhan Clannad-Personal Finance and Home Economics Professor at Beacon Academy "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Unknown, often attributed to Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Professor Feltch Hatterly Criminal and International Law Professor at Beacon Academy "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."-G.K. Chesterton

Professor Scarlet Vandal Weapons Engineering and Design Professor at Beacon Academy "Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull."-W. Somerset Maugham

Character AMA here, Personal AMA here, Character/Plot Timeline here, Descent into Madness here

If you ever need writing advice, be it for a post, a plot, or a character, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! PM me if you need someone to DM Grimm or NPCs, or need my Professors in your threads, though my ability to help with that depends on my free time!

Asterisk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »
On a more serious note, don't just focus on the combat aspects of your character. Flesh out all of it.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 05:55:39 AM »
What literally everyone else said.

As semi-vague as you should be with Aura usage, make sure you know what it is. For instance, I've actually calculated and made sure to know what would happen if he used all his Aura at once.

EDIT: Also, almost everything about Brock's first iteration, apparently.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:37:40 AM by nathan67003 »
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

arcus_gray

• Personal Text
    There's no accounting for dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:16 AM »
be reasonable with the power levels your character posseses. If you can effectively one shot someone at full aura you have an OP character.
1st year reckless idiot of team LGGR- Gray Saggio- "oh screw it. I'll just hit it till it dies!" 660066

psychotic mercenary- Alizarin rust "make me your enemy and they won't be able to identify your corpse"1C6BA0[/url]

lone wolf huntsman. ex member of team SAND cerulean steel "You are welcome to accompany me but if something goes wrong I'll deal with it myself." 2B3B44

1st year glass canon of team TBD Fallow Russet  "I may have been forced into this but that doesn't mean i don't like it." 50c878

2nd year drunken gearhead(teamless) Revya Vermillion "If you were to change to a lighter metal and add gears here, here and here you could greatly- I've entirely lost you haven't I?" Orange

1st year nimble tank of team CRSA Sandy Smoke "I've been told I'm a right bastard to fight against. Care to try ya luck?"355e3b[/color]

Guardian huntsman and drummer for Grimm Omen Ceramite Gunmetal "A barfight? alright then. SHOWTIME!" 800020 WIP[/u]

White Fang power couple. Ignis and Glacies. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpudWRx7eg] Partners in crime

Asterisk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:52 AM »
Four shot is already pushing it.

nathan67003

• Personal Text
    Infinite ADHD Asperger's physicist monkeys
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:03 AM »
All my characters are, apparently, what not to do, so feel free to reference them.
Nathan Eau, De Facto Jetpack Guy and Leader of Team INKK
Camelia Sol, Miss Magnetic Personality and Leader of Team CAST
Anna Fall, Insightful Visionary of Team ASTC
Brock Greenwood, Human Titan of Team DGTL
Helena Chlophyll, Ray of Sunshine of Team CHES
Scarlett/Corinth,Korynn,etc. Briggart/Topaz (In the works)
Max (mp)
Chloe (mp)
Maena Nadir, Coherent Beam of Team SSMR
Europa/Encela(dus)/Io/Callisto/Calypso (In the works)
Hannah Glass
Mark Cassini
Carlson Ferram
"Some goddamn bullshit, Invictus Omega"
"The Ferryman"
"GREEEEEEEN"
"I swear it's not my fault"
"HOT HOT HOT"
"s m o l"
"Alastair Reynolds"
"Living Weapon"
"Glm"
"Librarian"
"Vibin'"
Cole McWrath
AAAA (a.k.a. AMAA)
AMCAA

The Fox Without

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 11:34:24 PM »
Mental disorders of the most serious kind, unless you are an amazing writer, please stay away from these, including multiple personalities, manic depression, and others of the same sort. other wise it seems cartoonish and offensive honestly
Fortuna Altin-First year student: The Wannabe Princess of Team FIRE

Fluores Verdelia -First Year Tinkerer of Team MRSF

Tenne Byzant- First Year Recovering Thug of Team CBLT

Rima Tempest - First Year Snow Bitch of Team TBA
#55C8DA